Confirmed with Link: Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the team won’t give ice time to Rutger, they won’t give it to a similar prospect who is even younger. Yager is a couple years out at least, and that’s okay. I assume the scouts already talked to Yager in his draft year and see a long-term fit. I trust this is a good move for everyone involved, but will feel warm and fuzzy inside if it doesn’t work out for Rutger the way he hoped.

Jets might have given ice time to Rutger, if he could win a job. They just wouldn't guarantee it before he signed.

But agree Yager is a couple of years out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So that puts him over the "four seasons in junior" hump?

Given his size though, I wonder if moving him to the pros at this point is the right move? Or do you leave him in place as the big dog in MJ?

They could always start him there and see how he does before moving him to the dub ala what they did with Lambert the year before last.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Like the trade even more after going onto the main boards and first Pens fans saying no way Yager would be involved and after the full deal came out, seeing how pissed off most Pens fans were. Love it.

I'm glad this drama is over.
I think we got a decent return, under the circumstances.
I think it is a steal for Chevy under the circumstances.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Oh, that's interesting.

I think I still lean toward sending him back to juniors, but it's a discussion worth having. Go back to try to dominate, or go to the AHL to learn what it will be like to play in a more physical league as a slightly undersized player.
So that puts him over the "four seasons in junior" hump?

Given his size though, I wonder if moving him to the pros at this point is the right move? Or do you leave him in place as the big dog in MJ?
I agree, he still lacks the full size, strength and speed to keep up with pros and can still spend the extra season being the true #1 star on his junior team next season. But if the option is there and he suprises everyone in training camp & pre-season and shows hes capable of at least hanging with the pros, I think it would be an interesting option to exercise and he could still be sent to juniors from the AHL.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Fine with the trade -- less whine, moar Sask farmboy, seems in line with the recent trend. So does the emphasis on skill however, so hopefully the dev and coaching staff are on board.

Would be extra nice if Yager's allowed to stay a C. Maybe someday he'll turn out to be that elusive 2C candidate the team seems to find so hard to produce.

Best news yet of a quiet offseason, IMO.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If the team won’t give ice time to Rutger, they won’t give it to a similar prospect who is even younger. Yager is a couple years out at least, and that’s okay. I assume the scouts already talked to Yager in his draft year and see a long-term fit. I trust this is a good move for everyone involved, but will feel warm and fuzzy inside if it doesn’t work out for Rutger the way he hoped.

Edit: it appears Pat Brisson is Rutger’s agent (he’s also PLD’s agent) and was responsible for this shithousery. Not surprised in the least.
That's perfectly OK for the Jets. There is no rush with this Yager guy. We have Lambert and Chibrikov and Salomonson, who are NHL ready, and are damn good players. Give this Yager guy some time to mature, and put on some man size. From what I read, he is on the lean side right now, so this extra time will only help him fill out.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
They could always start him there and see how he does before moving him to the dub ala what they did with Lambert the year before last.
Worked really well for Lambert too. Feel like he got an idea of what the AHL would be like, got to get his confidence back in the WHL, and did really well in the AHL last season.

Of course, he was a bit of a different case, as his confidence was clearly in the tank following a couple of years of not really improving.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Like the trade even more after going onto the main boards and first Pens fans saying no way Yager would be involved and after the full deal came out, seeing how pissed off most Pens fans were. Love it.

I think it is a steal for Chevy under the circumstances.

Chevy's trades are always like the 6'7 guy who skates well for his size. Good deals, under the circumstances.
I think McGroarty has the potential to be a real game changer in the NHL. Time will tell on that.
Does Yager have that kind of ceiling? I don't think so. But, again time will tell. I would like him better if he were 2-3 inches taller and 20-30 lbs heavier.
EP talked about nothing but his shot. How's his skating? His 2 way play?

He'll have some good linemates to play with in Wpg. McGro might be pretty much alone for a few years in Pitt after Crosby and Malkin are gone.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and GNP

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Agree, and we need to build some depth at that Center position, so maybe Yager works out well. Don't know much about him tho, but Pitt has done a good job of scouting talent in the past.
It's been a long time since Guentzel and Jarry. Even the head scout who took Yager isn't there.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
Even if Yager is close in terms of potential I’ll take it. And a big old f*** you to Rutger. Comes off like a giant d bag. I hate when kids who have proved absolutely nothing dictate where they want to play. Maybe this team should pump the brakes on drafting Americans. Always seem to be the ones that become a problem and want out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy's trades are always like the 6'7 guy who skates well for his size. Good deals, under the circumstances.
I think McGroarty has the potential to be a real game changer in the NHL. Time will tell on that.
Does Yager have that kind of ceiling? I don't think so. But, again time will tell. I would like him better if he were 2-3 inches taller and 20-30 lbs heavier.

He'll have some good linemates to play with in Wpg. McGro might be pretty much alone for a few years in Pitt after Crosby and Malkin are gone.

I mean he's the same size as McGroarty and is quicker.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

From what I have seen, his devotion to two-way play has, if anything, been so severe it may have hindered his offensive production. It is also one of the weakest parts of his game. His skating is very strong, to the point where he might be one of the best skaters in that draft. It's also unimpressive at best. His shot is excellent, but it's also only okay and his release leaves much to be desired.

Scouting reports are a bit mixed on this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad