Speculation: Russo on the status of Kaprizov’s contract negotiations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If Russo is credible, I'll trust you. However, even the credible ones are not 100% accurate and he's human and got a job to do. After hearing all of this, I find this to be a rumor and not the entire truth. Just a hunch and could be completely off.

* 5 years and $9M is a good offer for someone who has played 55 NHL games. Some Wild fans are thinking he don't want to play for the Wild if that offer is accurate and he don't want to sign it.

* Like I said, how does Russo find that out and who leaked it to him. What are the motives? To make Kaprizov and his agent look bad? Well, if the Wild fans are worried about Kaprizov not wanting to stay with the Wild, that's one way to piss off the player. Release an offer he refused to take.

So.. My guess is that offer is not entirely accurate.
Even Russo hedged a little with the "around $9m" language instead of claiming anything exact.

Ultimately I don't think it makes much difference, though. It's a point of discussion online but Minnesota isn't the sort of market where managing fan perception matters all that much. Making Kaprizov look bad doesn't buy them anything worth having.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Even Russo hedged a little with the "around $9m" language instead of claiming anything exact.

Ultimately I don't think it makes much difference, though. It's a point of discussion online but Minnesota isn't the sort of market where managing fan perception matters all that much. Making Kaprizov look bad doesn't buy them anything worth having.
I do think they are loving that those info seeds have borne a lot of fruit in shífting fan perception into the team’s camp. I think you might be understating the value.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
So let me ask you this. It's November 30th and neither side has moved in the last 2.5 months. Who needs that one year deal more, Kaprizov or the Wild?

Because the Wild are going to be mediocre either way. They're still going to ice a team though, they're still going to sell tickets, they're still going to get fans in the building, and then they have the same amount of leverage next season in negotiations.

Kaprizov misses out on millions of dollars, loses a year of playing hockey, and still isn't eligible for offer sheets or arbitration next season.

So who needs that contract more?

He'd be sitting out an NHL season. The KHL option will always be open.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Could be. Can't imagine who they would've picked that move up from this summer.

I understand business is business. But it might not be in Minnesota's long-term interest to act as such though, especially considering Minnesota is a franchise who has difficulty obtaining elite talent. Throwing its marquee player under the media bus (even if its to shift fan perspective) sends signals to other players.
Other GMs probably love that Guerin is playing hardball, but don't think for a second that other players aren't also scrutinizing this situation.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I do think they are loving that those info seeds have borne a lot of fruit in shífting fan perception into the team’s camp. I think you might be understating the value.
They could be loving it, but I don't think it buys them any concrete advantage. Whipping Twitter up against a player you hope to sign long term is a pretty dubious pleasure.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I understand business is business. But it might not be in Minnesota's long-term interest to act as such though, especially considering Minnesota is a franchise who has difficulty obtaining elite talent. Throwing its marquee player under the media bus (even if its to shift fan perspective) sends signals to other players.
Other GMs probably love that Guerin is playing hardball, but don't think for a second that other players aren't also scrutinizing this situation.

Other players are wondering why the hell this guy hasn't accepted $45M yet after 55 games. Other players would kill for that. Other players had to do a lot more for $9M per year than Kaprizov had to do. Other players had to either wait until they were into their UFA years to get $9M, or they had to be among the top few players at their position for several years to get $9M. Kaprizov showed up for 67% of a season and put decent numbers against the leagues worst.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN

Or it could sell less jerseys, if anything the leaks proved most fans think we are crazy for offering that much based on 55 games. Not really a dramatic shift to the wilds favor. This is just an agent pressing for the biggest deal they can get, basically doing their job, time will tell how well it works and what the numbers are. If he sits I can't imagine it would be for long.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN

From the sounds of it that is leaving a lot of money on the table, like a ton-o-cash! I can't imagine negotiations are that bad that someone would walk away from this kind of money.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Term could be about not want to be here.

Given who his agent is, it also could be about wanting that 12 million Panarin deal in 3 years and maximizing his cash.
I don’t think Kirill wants to sign an 8 x $12mm deal in Minnesota. It’s the Minnesota and 8 years of term in that offer he doesn’t want. That my guess.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think intentionally leaking information about contract negotiations would be unprofessional, but I doubt that's what's actually happened here. Like I've said elsewhere, that isn't actually any benefit there for the Wild. At best they turn the fanbase against a player they want to keep long term, which doesn't make much sense.

My point was more that expecting the team to be fastidious about leaks is a little rich in this particular situation.

Reactions: Zine

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
NHL pays a lot more than KHL. That's a simple fact and the reason Kaprizov will not sign in the KHL. I think some you of guys west of the border know this, but still comment as if it's even an option. Kaprizov is trying the get the best deal he absolutely can, which is fair enough, but KHL is no issue at all here.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I think intentionally leaking information about contract negotiations would be unprofessional, but I doubt that's what's actually happened here. Like I've said elsewhere, that isn't actually any benefit there for the Wild. At best they turn the fanbase against a player they want to keep long term, which doesn't make much sense.

My point was more that expecting the team to be fastidious about leaks is a little rich in this particular situation.

If I recall that is when he said both sides were close or closing in on a deal, not really uncommon for that kind of info to come out but obviously things have stalled a bit.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
OMG Kaprizov's dad had something to do with this? LOL Ryan O'Reilly all over again.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don’t think Kirill wants to sign an 8 x $12mm deal in Minnesota. It’s the Minnesota and 8 years of term in that offer he doesn’t want. That my guess.
There is also the fact that he probably didn't see much of Minnesota. Given the pandemic protocols, condensed season and nothing being open he really probably didn't experience much of what it has to offer beyond his apartment and his team mates places.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Other players are wondering why the hell this guy hasn't accepted $45M yet after 55 games. Other players would kill for that. Other players had to do a lot more for $9M per year than Kaprizov had to do. Other players had to either wait until they were into their UFA years to get $9M, or they had to be among the top few players at their position for several years to get $9M. Kaprizov showed up for 67% of a season and put decent numbers against the leagues worst.

Players can agree or disagree with Kaprizov's stance. That's not the point.

Point is, most players probably don't approve of NHL teams leaking things to the media during negotiations.

Not a good move for a franchise who is already not a hot destination for players.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Players can agree or disagree with Kaprizov's stance. That's not the point.

Point is, most players probably don't approve of NHL teams leaking things to the media during negotiations.

Not a good move for a franchise who is already not a hot destination for players.

Most players don't care. That's the business. Things get leaked, and you carry on.

Most GMs don't appreciate players saying they're going to sign in a different league if they don't get exactly what they want, and Kaprizov is already struggling to find a place in this league. He better be careful.

mort4345

Jun 22, 2017
Russo's credibility? High?

I'll remember this one once the deal is announced. From what I noticed, even the good ones don't have a 75%+ accuracy rate on what they try to dig up.

If Guerin is releasing this information to the media, that's bad for business and if true, I would not blame Kaprizov for not wanting to sign long term in Minnesota. Releasing this to get the media and fans to take sides is not a good tactic for long term trust.

As a NJ Devils fan living in Minneapolis with no dog in this fight, I can say without question that Russo is one of the best, if not the best, NHL beat writers. The guy is super solid, measured and as knowledgeable and tapped in as they come. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: hirawl and rynryn

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
NHL pays a lot more than KHL. That's a simple fact and the reason Kaprizov will not sign in the KHL. I think some you of guys west of the border know this, but still comment as if it's even an option. Kaprizov is trying the get the best deal he absolutely can, which is fair enough, but KHL is no issue at all here.

He's obviously not signing KHL long-term. Point I was making is KHL option is open for this upcoming year if both sides can't come to an agreement.

Again, I think they will eventually come to an agreement, but Kirill signing for a year in KHL if he absolutely doesn't want to get roped into a 4+ year deal (and a trade isn't on the table) is at least plausible. They'd renew negotiations again next year.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Most players don't care. That's the business. Things get leaked, and you carry on.

Most GMs don't appreciate players saying they're going to sign in a different league if they don't get exactly what they want, and Kaprizov is already struggling to find a place in this league. He better be careful.

Agree to disagree then None of us are NHLers with insight. All we can do is speculate.

What isn't speculation, based on history, is Minnesota is not a prime destination for players. Whatever reason for that I don't know, but Minnesota has been doing something wrong in not catering to players and providing a lucrative environment.
Throwing Kaprizov under the bus might just be another example of that even if it is "business is business".

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Or it could sell less jerseys, if anything the leaks proved most fans think we are crazy for offering that much based on 55 games. Not really a dramatic shift to the wilds favor. This is just an agent pressing for the biggest deal they can get, basically doing their job, time will tell how well it works and what the numbers are. If he sits I can't imagine it would be for long.
Because they fear the counter argument more? “Just Sign Kaprizov you cheap Bastards”

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
OMG Kaprizov's dad had something to do with this? LOL Ryan O'Reilly all over again.

His dad was influential in his CSKA extension. But he was happy for him when he later went to NHL. There's been nothing anywhere saying pappa Kaprizov is dictating these current negotiations.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Agree to disagree then None of us are NHLers with insight. All we can do is speculate.

What isn't speculation, based on history, is Minnesota is not a prime destination for players. Whatever reason for that I don't know, but Minnesota has been doing something wrong in not catering to players and providing a lucrative environment.
Throwing Kaprizov under the bus might just be another example of that even if it is "business is business".

if all the good players should be able to pick where they play, this league would be boring as f***.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Maybe that's a discussion you need to have with guys like Spurgeon, Koivu, Brodin, who have or will have spent their entire careers here. Or Ek who just signed an 8 year deal to stay here through his prime years. Or guys like Foligno who rave about how great it is and try to get their family to come here. Or Zucker and potentially Dumba, as players who didn't want to leave but were forced out by certain circumstances.

Minnesota has a problem with star players because they haven't drafted or developed any, not because Minnesota is inherently a bad place for good players to play.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Maybe that's a discussion you need to have with guys like Spurgeon, Koivu, Brodin, who have or will have spent their entire careers here. Or Ek who just signed an 8 year deal to stay here through his prime years. Or guys like Foligno who rave about how great it is and try to get their family to come here. Or Zucker and potentially Dumba, as players who didn't want to leave but were forced out by certain circumstances.

Minnesota has a problem with star players because they haven't drafted or developed any, not because Minnesota is inherently a bad place for good players to play.
Burns too. He thought he was a lifer.

Reactions: Chrisinroch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad