Speculation: Russo on the status of Kaprizov’s contract negotiations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Sure the Wild are never going to be able to build a team around him and compete but at least we have something resembling entertainment for the dog years of the dead cap.

I'm guessing that is the heart of the issue. The Wild are going to be painfully average for the foreseeable future and Kaprizov wants no part of spending his prime years in such an environment. Like I posted earlier, Kaprizov appears like an ultra-competitive dude based on Foligno's spitting chicklets interview. Makes sense he's turning down ridiculously lucrative long-term deals. If anything, it might show he values winning over money.

If he must play in mediocrity, might as well take Minnesota to the cleaners while demanding the shortest term he can.

Last edited:
Reactions: ellja3

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why would Guerin offer a bridge deal now? He’s made more than one offer that would already make Kaprizov the highest paid player in Wild history. Second, only one party here has threatened to disengage and play elsewhere. And third, why negotiate against himself?

That's all just rumors. Nobody knows exactly what's going on.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That's all just rumors. Nobody knows exactly what's going on.
Reliably reported rumors.

Russo has zero idea when talking about the KHL, which is why you (and Russians) understandably don't trust him.

And I can't blame you for that. He acts like the KHL rules are written on toilet paper, and entertained the game CSKA rumors far longer then he should have.

But when he reports on the wild side of things he is as close to gospel as you can get in reporting.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
What a steaming pantload this is. "I don't know what they're doing wrong, but they are doing something wrong." You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. We supposedly overpaid Parise and Suter and gave them free run of the place, but we aren't catering to the player's enough and aren't providing a "lucrative environment." Whatever.

They were highly sought after UFA's, you either gave them what they wanted or they signed elsewhere.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
They were highly sought after UFA's, you either gave them what they wanted or they signed elsewhere.

Correct, there's really no such thing as overpayment for UFA's. You pay the top price, or said player will go elsewhere to the team that does. Now teams might exceed their budgets, or players may not live up to expectations, but that's a different topic altogether.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I'm guessing that is the heart of the issue. The Wild are going to be painfully average for the foreseeable future and Kaprizov wants no part of spending his prime years in such an environment. Like I posted earlier, Kaprizov appears like an ultra-competitive dude based on Foligno's spitting chicklets interview. Makes sense he's turning down ridiculously lucrative long-term deals. If anything, it might show he values winning over money.

If he must play in mediocrity, might as well take Minnesota to the cleaners while demanding the shortest term he can.

The only problem from Kirill’s standpoint is that the Wild don’t have to do anything. It doesn’t rock the boat competitively whether Kirill is in the mix or not. Kirill can demand the moon if he wants but ultimately Wild holds all the leverage and I don’t think Kirill can afford to spend the next 3 years in KHL if he wants to win in the NHL or get paid.

This is on Kirill like I stated earlier. He could’ve started his NHL career 3 years ago but he opted to become a KHL superstar. I feel for the man but what the Wild are offering is as good as it’s going to get; take it or leave it.

There’s always the option of giving the Wild what they want as a compromise, which I guess is a 5 year deal and ask for a trade later. Teams won’t hold disgruntled players for hostage if they have value. But for that they need him signed for a reasonable term and money.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
only one party here has threatened to disengage and play elsewhere.
Source? Because the KHL rumour is clearly untrue based on a) KHL salary cap of $12 million, b) why would Kaprizov asks for $9 million in the NHL meanwhile threaten to play in the KHL for 9 times less money, if he has he and his agent should be institutionalized and c) the fact that CSKA Moscow said that there's been no contact, probably because of the KHL salary cap.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
How To Negotiate In Good Faith by Katherine Shonk for Harvard Law School

Because I know you're not going to bother to click and read the whole thing, I've highlighted the key parts here:

One party is for sure trying to make multiple fair offers that will be a compromise between short/long term and low/high AAV. It's the Wild.

One party has made several offers. It's the Wild
One party has reportedly declined to actively engage in the process. It's Kaprizov.
One party has done something to try to undermine the bargaining process by floating a fake rumor of a competing contract in order to increase pressure on the other party. It's Kaprizov.

One party has engaged in deceptive practices in the form of a fake rumor of a competing offer in order to increase pressure on the other party. It's Kaprizov.
One party has firmly dug their heels in, engaging in hard-bargaining tactics, and reportedly refused to come off three years. It's Kaprizov.

One party has opted to drag this out for as long as possible. It's Kaprizov.

It's extremely important to know what negotiating in bad faith is if you're going to keep throwing the term around. For some reason, you (and others), think it means trying to buy some of his UFA years, or not giving him the term and money he wants, or whatever. That's not what it means. That is a normal part of negotiating a contract with an RFA.

You can make the case that both sides are being stubborn and bullheaded about it, and both sides could have handled it better, but if you're going to start throwing the term "negotiating in bad faith" around, one party has been a much more prolific culprit, and it's not the side you think it is.
Maybe if I write with some emphasis it would help because I have said this several times:

I NEVER SAID THE WILD WERE NOT NEGOTIATING IN GOOD FAITH. I HAVE SAID THE EXACT OPPOSITE SEVERAL TIMES.

CALM YOURSELF AND READ THE WORDS I WRITE BEFORE REPLYING.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Right. But you can't say the Wild overpaid them and at the same time say they didn't provide a "lucrative environment," whatever that is. And you can't say that the Wild didn't cater to the players enough, when the whole organization bended to the will of the two highest paid guys on the team. Those things are mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Imo its pretty obvious where things stand. Kaprizov wants a 3 year deal, the wild want at least a 5 year deal. Both sides are digging in, who will cave first?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Minnesota will suck if they don't sign him do they have a decent draft pick , hard to play against but fialla will be their entire offense

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Source? Because the KHL rumour is clearly untrue based on a) KHL salary cap of $12 million, b) why would Kaprizov asks for $9 million in the NHL meanwhile threaten to play in the KHL for 9 times less money, if he has he and his agent should be institutionalized and c) the fact that CSKA Moscow said that there's been no contact, probably because of the KHL salary cap.
KK could still play this year in the KHL thoug

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe if I write with some emphasis it would help because I have said this several times:

I NEVER SAID THE WILD WERE NOT NEGOTIATING IN GOOD FAITH. I HAVE SAID THE EXACT OPPOSITE SEVERAL TIMES.

CALM YOURSELF AND READ THE WORDS I WRITE BEFORE REPLYING.

Then stop using the phrase. I think you've demonstrated well enough that you don't have a complete understanding of what it means, yet you keep using it when you don't have to. The guy you quoted said nothing about good faith or bad faith, it was something you decided to bring up for whatever reason. If it's not happening here, there's no need for you to keep bringing it up.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Lol. One of us has been negotiating contracts for 30 years professionally and one of us hasn’t…..that’s you.
Oh yeah. You’re clearly a genius. Keep the internet bragging up. Stay in school kiddo.

In your version “negotiating” the Wild want him for league minimum and they come up to $1.5m. Totally good faith! Glad you’re “30 years” of negotiation has taught you so much.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Then stop using the phrase. I think you've demonstrated well enough that you don't have a complete understanding of what it means, yet you keep using it when you don't have to. The guy you quoted said nothing about good faith or bad faith, it was something you decided to bring up for whatever reason. If it's not happening here, there's no need for you to keep bringing it up.
Let’s start at the beginning. Where did I say the Wild are not negotiating in good faith?

I’m not here to defend things I haven’t said. You seem to have a predetermined argument regardless of what I say. This blind rage isn’t helping any attempt at a discussion.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Let’s start at the beginning. Where did I say the Wild are not negotiating in good faith?

I’m not here to defend things I haven’t said. You seem to have a predetermined argument regardless of what I say. This blind rage isn’t helping any attempt at a discussion.

Stop setting up strawmen arguments. You just brought up good faith again for no reason in your last post. You're killing the meaning of the phrase. You're using it when it doesn't need to be used. Especially if, as you say, you don't think the Wild are negotiating in bad faith.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

At this point I'm not sure what your ultimate argument is, but this post...
Just because the Wild has stated their intention to want as many years as possible doesn’t make that a good faith negotiation. Actually that is far closer to bad faith nearing the exact definition. Kaprizov is entitled to have a RFA contract offered to him and I bet that he has been offered one. Probably a crappy one but offered.
...is hard to interpret as anything other than "the Wild are not negotiating in good faith."

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization

They are negotiating in bad faith. They isssue ultimatums and unscrupulously expoit kaprizov's weak negotiation position.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They are negotiating in bad faith. They isssue ultimatums and unscrupulously expoit kaprizov's weak negotiation position.
The "weak position" he's in is the result of a deliberate trade-off he made when electing to burn a year on his ELC. Is he supposed to reap the reward from that decision (an earlier pay bump) while the team is expected to mitigate the downside for him?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
At this point, all I have to say is Kaprizov better show up and prove he's Panarin 2.0. Albeit unlikely, I'm going to laugh if he gets what he wants and his first season turned out to be a career best.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
The "weak position" he's in is the result of a deliberate trade-off he made when electing to burn a year on his ELC. Is he supposed to reap the reward from that decision (an earlier pay bump) while the team is expected to mitigate the downside for him?
I know. Forcing him to cave in to the team's demands is a bad way to go about. If he doesn't want to go long-term, short-term cheap deals should be on the table too.

Reactions: Habs Halifax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad