Speculation: Russo on the status of Kaprizov’s contract negotiations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know. Forcing him to cave in to the team's demands is a bad way to go about. If he doesn't want to go long-term, short-term cheap deals should be on the table too.
We don't know that this isn't the case, we just know the Wild want longer term and haven't heard of them making shorter term offers. That doesn't mean they're completely unwilling to discuss it; for all we know they've discussed it plenty and it simply hasn't gone anywhere.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I know. Forcing him to cave in to the team's demands is a bad way to go about. If he doesn't want to go long-term, short-term cheap deals should be on the table too.

So you still think it's fine that Kaprizov use the full extent of the leverage he has when he has it, but the Wild should only use as much leverage as allows for Kaprizov to still get exactly what he wants?

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I agree and that is usually at play when the longer deal fails. But some are emotionally tied to that rumored report being the truth (5x $9M) and therefore, they don't want to talk about Bridge being an option. You wait, they will jump on you bud! :laugh:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I agree and that is usually at play when the longer deal fails. But some are emotionally tied to that rumored report being the truth (5x $9M) and therefore, they don't want to talk about Bridge being an option. You wait, they will jump on you bud! :laugh:
As has been explained about a dozen times, by Wild and non-Wild fans alike: this is not why the 5x$9m offer is considered good information. It's because Russo has a 15+ year track record of getting this sort of information correct.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As has been explained about a dozen times, by Wild and non-Wild fans alike: this is not why the 5x$9m offer is considered good information. It's because Russo has a 15+ year track record of getting this sort of information correct.

We understand that but at the end of the day, it's still a rumored report that you can get emotionally attached to. Just cause Russo is credible, it don't make him god and 100% correct on everything he reports.

There were some credible reporters in Montreal who also said Drouin will never play a NHL game with Montreal again. False. Some Habs fans got emotionally attached to that idea cause that's what they wanted.

The main point? It's a chat forum and posters got to be more open to alternative ideas. It's all guesses until it becomes official. Some think their guesses are factual and then jump on others back. Nonsense

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Also, opinions on the bridge option have nothing to do with the 5x9 report.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
They are negotiating in bad faith. They isssue ultimatums and unscrupulously expoit kaprizov's weak negotiation position.

For the millionth time, his negotiating position is where it is because of decisions he made. He did this to himself, he's not a victim no matter how many times you try and claim he is.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
We understand that but at the end of the day, it's still a rumored report that you can get emotionally attached to. Just cause Russo is credible, it don't make him god and 100% correct on everything he reports.
If you can find me a case of Russo floating a Wild contract offer that didn't end up close to what was signed, I'll happily change my stance.

I get remaining skeptical of things on principle, but trying to leverage that into accusing people of being "emotionally attached" is ridiculous.

Reactions: Ban Hammered

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
So you still think it's fine that Kaprizov use the full extent of the leverage he has when he has it, but the Wild should only use as much leverage as allows for Kaprizov to still get exactly what he wants?
No, he will have to compromise too. If he wants a short-term deal, he will have to lower his financial demands.
We don't know that this isn't the case, we just know the Wild want longer term and haven't heard of them making shorter term offers. That doesn't mean they're completely unwilling to discuss it; for all we know they've discussed it plenty and it simply hasn't gone anywhere.
If they are open to discuss it, then there's nothing to hold them at fault for.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Your GM probably should have acknowledged the situation sooner. If Kirill has no intention of being a Wild player long term, a sign and trade should have been explored by now. He’s valuable and a team like LA (and many others) would throw a choice asset or two the Wild’s way to have had his services for the upcoming season.

I do hope a 4 year deal can materialize sooner or later if 5 is off the table from Kirills side. That’s a very tradable contract over the next 12 months if inked for this season.

if Kirill won’t sign for more than 3 years, I’d take that AAV down to a $5 handle as an FU back to him.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

From reports (or speculation) we've had, he doesn't want a cheap short term deal, he (or his agent) want a short term deal at 9+.
If that's the case, it is in no way in the Wild's best interest to budge from 5 years.
Your golden boy has warts here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you can find me a case of Russo floating a Wild contract offer that didn't end up close to what was signed, I'll happily change my stance.

I get remaining skeptical of things on principle, but trying to leverage that into accusing people of being "emotionally attached" is ridiculous.

Nah, I see fans getting emotionally attached to that rumor being factual. It's clear to me. Will be interesting to see what deal is actually signed in the end.

Disclaimers need to be used more. "IF" that rumor is true (5x $9M), Kaprizov is an idiot and don't want to be a Wild. However, Russo appears to be a god in Minnesota. And for the record, I'm not saying he is wrong for sure. I'm just considering alternative options or ideas if that rumor is not true. Some just don't want any part of that and want to block others from talking about it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your GM probably should have acknowledged the situation sooner. If Kirill has no intention of being a Wild player long term, a sign and trade should have been explored by now. He’s valuable and a team like LA (and many others) would throw a choice asset or two the Wild’s way to have had his services for the upcoming season.

I do hope a 4 year deal can materialize sooner or later if 5 is off the table from Kirills side. That’s a very tradable contract over the next 12 months if inked for this season.

We don't always agree but on this one... I agree with you. BG would have known earlier if Kaprizov didn't want to sign long term. It don't take months to find that out. The dots don't really connect to me when we dig into the context that is available.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

This whole thread has been people conflating these into one conversation:
1) What the Wild can do
2) What they think the Wild should be able to do (because fairness)
3) What they think the Wild should do
4) What the Wild are doing

Should the Wild explore trade options? Maybe, I think so.
Do they have to? No.
Should they have to? No.
Do they want to, at this point? Doesn't seem like it.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Nah, I see fans getting emotionally attached to that rumor being factual. It's clear to me. Will be interesting to see what deal is actually signed in the end.

Disclaimers need to be used more. "IF" that rumor is true (5x $9M), Kaprizov is an idiot and don't want to be a Wild. However, Russo appears to be a god in Minnesota

He's not a God, he's just very good at what he does and has no reason to lie about it. You wanna act like an ass over people telling you that when it comes to this, he knows his stuff.
We're not the problem here...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's not a God, he's just very good at what he does and has no reason to lie about it. You wanna act like an ass over people telling you that when it comes to this, he knows his stuff.
We're not the problem here...

There is no problem until some posters tries to block others from talking about other ideas if the rumor is not true. I'm assuming you think it's 100% accurate as well? Do you really believe Kaprizov has turned that down? Because he wants out of Minnesota and he can get that money somewhere else? If so, that's one greedy and selfish player and you probably should not want him on your team anyways

It don't all all up to me. Something is off. Is trade rumors the next step? You would think that would have happened by now. When did Russo release his 5x $9M report?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
This whole thread has been people conflating these into one conversation:
1) What the Wild can do
2) What they think the Wild should be able to do (because fairness)
3) What they think the Wild should do
4) What the Wild are doing

Should the Wild explore trade options? Maybe, I think so.
Do they have to? No.
Should they have to? No.
Do they want to, at this point? Doesn't seem like it.
There's definitely a weird undercurrent of assuming that not wanting to sign longer term necessarily means he's trying to force his way out ASAP. He very well could be, but if that's been his priority he's gone about it in a very bad way.

If he or his agent have made it clear to Guerin that doesn't want to be in Minnesota then it'd be foolish to not change plans and look to trade him. There's no reason for either the player or the team to be coy with one another on that count. But the whole saga makes more sense if it's just been about money the whole time.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
There is no problem until some posters tries to block others from talking about other ideas if the rumor is not true. I'm assuming you think it's 100% accurate as well? Do you really believe Kaprizov has turned that down? Because he wants out of Minnesota and he can get that money somewhere else? If so, that's one greedy and selfish player and you probably should not want him on your team anyways

What we are saying is if Russo is saying it, when it comes to contracts, he's almost never wrong. Could he be in this case? Sure he could, but the rumor is coming from someone he trusts and as he has said before, when he puts it in print, it's been confirmed by another source. So yes, in this case, I do believe it's true and Kaprizov's agent has turned that down. I don't think Kaprizov is involved at all at this point just judging on reports of how this agent does business.
It could be nothing more than a rumor...but you aren't being "blocked" from talking about it, you're being told that the direction you are taking on it...is more than likely not true. We are telling you that Russo's credibility makes it that way, and you're getting defensive.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
There's definitely a weird undercurrent of assuming that not wanting to sign longer term necessarily means he's trying to force his way out ASAP. He very well could be, but if that's been his priority he's gone about it in a very bad way.

If he or his agent have made it clear to Guerin that doesn't want to be in Minnesota then it'd be foolish to not change plans and look to trade him. There's no reason for either the player or the team to be coy with one another on that count. But the whole saga makes more sense if it's just been about money the whole time.

There's also a genuine possibility that they did come to an agreement on the 5x9 deal, but can't finalize the minutiae. Which would mean this whole conversation about bridge deals and money and term is all futile, because now the only concern is bonuses and structure.

I don't think they've made it clear in so many words, but if you're Guerin, you have to be thinking he's going to go to UFA when this contract is over, and you have to realize that it's very likely he doesn't sign with us. I think the questions left for Guerin at this point are, if you can get him locked up to your 4,5 year deal, how long before you move him? You can't let him walk to free agency, but do you wait until that last year, try to negotiate something before he walks, and then trade him before the deadline if he doesn't wanna talk? I'd bet that's what Guerin does, even though there's merit to trading him sooner.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Oh yeah. You’re clearly a genius. Keep the internet bragging up. Stay in school kiddo.

In your version “negotiating” the Wild want him for league minimum and they come up to $1.5m. Totally good faith! Glad you’re “30 years” of negotiation has taught you so much.

Da fuq are you talking about. In my version, the reported version, the Wild have offered him 8 and 5 years at somewhere between $8 and $10 million a year. In your version, the party backing up the Brinks truck to unload it on Kaprizov is somehow not playing fair. Is that what you are going with?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What we are saying is if Russo is saying it, when it comes to contracts, he's almost never wrong. Could he be in this case? Sure he could, but the rumor is coming from someone he trusts and as he has said before, when he puts it in print, it's been confirmed by another source. So yes, in this case, I do believe it's true and Kaprizov's agent has turned that down. I don't think Kaprizov is involved at all at this point just judging on reports of how this agent does business.
It could be nothing more than a rumor...but you aren't being "blocked" from talking about it, you're being told that the direction you are taking on it...is more than likely not true. We are telling you that Russo's credibility makes it that way, and you're getting defensive.

He's "Almost never wrong" :sarcasm:. There the little crack in the door.

I'm not getting any more defensive than you or others are. You should drop that narrative. There is a chance Russo is a bit off on his rumor and trying to block others from talking about other ideas or deals is nonsense. Take a step back and rethink it.

How about you rename the thread to this... Only comment in this thread if you believe Russo's rumor is 100% true.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There's also a genuine possibility that they did come to an agreement on the 5x9 deal, but can't finalize the minutiae. Which would mean this whole conversation about bridge deals and money and term is all futile, because now the only concern is bonuses and structure.

I don't think they've made it clear in so many words, but if you're Guerin, you have to be thinking he's going to go to UFA when this contract is over, and you have to realize that it's very likely he doesn't sign with us. I think the questions left for Guerin at this point are, if you can get him locked up to your 4,5 year deal, how long before you move him? You can't let him walk to free agency, but do you wait until that last year, try to negotiate something before he walks, and then trade him before the deadline if he doesn't wanna talk? I'd bet that's what Guerin does, even though there's merit to trading him sooner.
That does seem relatively likely right now, at least to me. At this point it seems a lot like the agent trying to carve out one more moral victory on the bonus structure, and if he needs to sacrifice training camp for it so be it. That's a less interesting line of discussion than Minnesota being hopeless and awful, though.

I'm 50/50 on whether to keep him around long term or not, but after this summer I'm 50/50 on just about everything with this team. Mostly I'm just hoping the team and/or management proves me wrong about where things are headed. Aside from preserving the asset I'm not all that convinced that keeping or losing Kaprizov is all that important anymore.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's "Almost never wrong" :sarcasm:. There the little crack in the door.

I'm not getting any more defensive than you or others are. You should drop that narrative. There is a chance Russo is a bit off on his rumor and trying to block others from talking about other ideas or deals is nonsense. Take a step back and rethink it.

How about you rename the thread to this... Only comment in this thread if you believe Russo's rumor is 100% true.

No one is blocking you from talking about bridge deals because Russo hasn't reported a bridge deal.

I explained to you why a bridge deal is a bad option in this situation for the team. You're not the first person to think of a bridge deal for an RFA. Wild fans have been discussing this extension exhaustively since last summer. Any idea you think you have has been beaten to death on the Wild board. We've discussed the pros and cons of a bridge deal, and the consensus is that it's not a good option.

Discuss it all you want, it doesn't change the fact that, for the Wild, it's a bad option.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
At this point I'm not sure what your ultimate argument is, but this post...

...is hard to interpret as anything other than "the Wild are not negotiating in good faith."
No, reading and context is hard.

The person I was replying to said the Wild are being honest or at least what he thinks is happening is being honest. Personally I think many posters are not correct in what they think is happening but this is the example the poster used.

So in this example just because someone in being honest doesn’t mean they are negotiating in good faith. There is more to it than just honesty. You can’t just say “hey, I told you I’m being unreasonable and screwing you over therefore I’m negotiating in good faith”. That isn’t how it works.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No one is blocking you from talking about bridge deals because Russo hasn't reported a bridge deal.

I explained to you why a bridge deal is a bad option in this situation for the team. You're not the first person to think of a bridge deal for an RFA. Wild fans have been discussing this extension exhaustively since last summer. Any idea you think you have has been beaten to death on the Wild board. We've discussed the pros and cons of a bridge deal, and the consensus is that it's not a good option.

Discuss it all you want, it doesn't change the fact that, for the Wild, it's a bad option.

I don't know man... the minute you talk about something other than the 5 year rumored deal, your alert notification lights up! :laugh:.

Usually, when longer deals fall through, the bridge deal is plan B. That's not some wild idea coming out of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad