Speculation: Russo on the status of Kaprizov’s contract negotiations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You mean like the 5 year, $45M deal that's been on the table for a while? Sounds good to me.

Fact or rumored report? No offense but you seem to be the type to trust rumors and tweets where it spins in your head as facts. If this is indeed a fact, care to post where you heard it? This is what I found from a TSN article. "A very good offer". Where is your $45M report? I'm curious

Sep 15, 2021
Guerin: Progress with Kaprizov 'pretty slow' despite 'very good' offer

Minnesota Wild general manager Bill Guerin said Tuesday talks are moving "pretty slow" with Kirill Kaprizov despite the team having made what he called a "very good" offer to the restricted free agent.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I definitely don’t offer $9mm on a one year deal. That comes in at half that.

but he’s your best player. By far. He is fun to watch. Fiala is a good player. You destroyed Nashville in that trade. He’s someone you notice each game.

Kirill. Totally different. He’s a guy you turn to your buddy and say, “F this guy is good, you see what he just did”.

Avs have Landy. He’s like Fiala in a way. Just a real nice player that wins a few 1st stars each season, makes a consistent impact. But Landy is no Makar. Makar is a, “you Fing see that?. Kirill is closer to that than being a real solid player like Fiala.

for Kirill, I don’t think this is about AAV first and foremost. I hear more about term. This guy doesn’t want to be a career Wild player. He wants out. He took a while a come over? Why? Had a great season and won’t commit… why? Because he doesn’t want to spend the next half decade in St Paul is my guess.

sign him for 4 years and trade him if he won’t sign 5+. That’s a trade the Wild can win next offseason.

Four would be fine with me too but that's not really the point.

Who needs the contract more?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I remember when Nylander was NHL ready but the Leafs held him in the AHL cause they wanted to tank that year and also limit his RFA years burned. This was one of the reasons why he was exempt from the Vegas draft but he played 3 AHL seasons. Agents and GM's remember this stuff.

With me it's not complicated. If you don't like the bridge idea cause you value and trust in his ability, pay him on the long term deal. $9M or $10M on a 5 year deal is not going to hurt you that much. What is he actually asking for? No idea

It's tricky cause we really don't know the facts. It appears to me he is being greedy but that's speculation
Avoiding the bridge isn't primarily about trust in the player at this point. It's about avoiding a situation where they can't actually extend him once the bridge expires.

And having faith in him doesn't equate to a blank check. $9m is already a ****ton of money and the team isn't negotiating against anyone. It's a perfectly reasonable line in the sand for a 5 year deal.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I definitely don’t offer $9mm on a one year deal. That comes in at half that.

but he’s your best player. By far. He is fun to watch. Fiala is a good player. You destroyed Nashville in that trade. He’s someone you notice each game.

Kirill. Totally different. He’s a guy you turn to your buddy and say, “F this guy is good, you see what he just did”.

Avs have Landy. He’s like Fiala in a way. Just a real nice player that wins a few 1st stars each season, makes a consistent impact. But Landy is no Makar. Makar is a, “you Fing see that?. Kirill is closer to that than being a real solid player like Fiala.

for Kirill, I don’t think this is about AAV first and foremost. I hear more about term. This guy doesn’t want to be a career Wild player. He wants out. He took a while a come over? Why? Had a great season and won’t commit… why? Because he doesn’t want to spend the next half decade in St Paul is my guess.

sign him for 4 years and trade him if he won’t sign 5+. That’s a trade the Wild can win next offseason.

Term could be about not want to be here.

Given who his agent is, it also could be about wanting that 12 million Panarin deal in 3 years and maximizing his cash.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Avoiding the bridge isn't primarily about trust in the player at this point. It's about avoiding a situation where they can't actually extend him once the bridge expires.

And having faith in him doesn't equate to a blank check. $9m is already a ****ton of money and the team isn't negotiating against anyone. It's a perfectly reasonable line in the sand for a 5 year deal.

I asked the other guy who is all over my back to provide the source on that 5 year $9M AAV offer. Seems like some are proceeding with that as factual information. Can you show me where this is coming from?

And what is your confidence level that this is actual closer to the truth? I've seen speculated rumors turn into monsters before so I pay caution. Media members are like weather forecasters! Even the good ones are only 50% correct.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Fact or rumored report? No offense but you seem to be the type to trust rumors and tweets where it spins in your head as facts. If this is indeed a fact, care to post where you heard it? This is what I found from a TSN article. "A very good offer". Where is your $45M report? I'm curious

Sep 15, 2021
Guerin: Progress with Kaprizov 'pretty slow' despite 'very good' offer

Minnesota Wild general manager Bill Guerin said Tuesday talks are moving "pretty slow" with Kirill Kaprizov despite the team having made what he called a "very good" offer to the restricted free agent.

By a "very good" offer, Guerin probably meant something like 8 X 6M.

It maybe time to look into a regime change for the Wild, in order to salvage this situation. Guerin and his team basically has failed to put anything credible on the table.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I asked the other guy who is all over my back to provide the source on that 5 year $9M AAV offer. Seems like some are proceeding with that as factual information. Can you show me where this is coming from?
It's coming from Russo, who's reported multiple times that the team has been offering "around $9m" on 5+ year deals. Most recently was this:
Guerin declined to reveal the Wild’s contract offers. But sources have told The Athletic for several weeks that the team has offered Kaprizov, who has played only 55 NHL regular-season games, a variety of terms around $9 million per year.

And what is your confidence level that this is actual closer to the truth? I've seen speculated rumors turn into monsters before so I pay caution. Media members are like weather forecasters! Even the good ones are only 50% correct.
I won't rule out the possibility of Russo being part of a Wild-engineered disinformation campaign, but it's more likely that this is at least close to the truth.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It maybe time to look into a regime change for the Wild, in order to salvage this situation. Guerin and his team basically has failed to put anything credible on the table.

Seems difficult to get the actual truth due to how so many are spinning rumors into facts.

Reactions: sandybridge

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's coming from Russo, who's reported multiple times that the team has been offering "around $9m" on 5+ year deals. Most recently was this:

Russo's credibility? High?

I'll remember this one once the deal is announced. From what I noticed, even the good ones don't have a 75%+ accuracy rate on what they try to dig up.

If Guerin is releasing this information to the media, that's bad for business and if true, I would not blame Kaprizov for not wanting to sign long term in Minnesota. Releasing this to get the media and fans to take sides is not a good tactic for long term trust.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

You have no basis for this.
The reports we've had have been 8x9 and then 5x9. So 8x6 is coming from where?
We have reportedly put things on the table that are more than fair.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I'll remember this one once the deal is announced.
Depends upon the medium.

In podcasts he tends to get a bit speculative.

But in print, he is probably the most reliable and accurate beat writer in the NHL (unless he is talking about the KHL)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I'll remember this one once the deal is announced.
I added a response to my original post, but while I'm more critical of Russo than most fans even I'll admit he's generally on point with this contract offer stuff. Whether or not it's the complete picture... probably not. But if he's putting it in the Athletic he's probably sourced it properly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His credibility is very high.

How does he find this information out? Do you think it's good business for BG to release this? Seem petty to me and I'm skeptical. If true, BG will be learning a lesson as a GM. The only motives I see with releasing this information is that he is frustrated and wants the media and fans to gang up on his player. That's a poor strategy IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I added a response to my original post, but while I'm more critical of Russo than most fans even I'll admit he's generally on point with this contract offer stuff. Whether or not it's the complete picture... probably not. But if he's putting it in the Athletic he's probably sourced it properly.

Credible or not, we always have to remember that their job is to get clicks and generate revenue. Like I said, the good ones don't have a 100% accuracy rate. Even 75% is high

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes. I think they have to offer him some sort of contract that doesn’t take any UFA years. I’ve never heard a GM say they won’t offer a short term deal. It’s always “we discussed a variety of lengths including short term”.
Show me in the CBA where it says that GMs have to offer at least one contract length that is just RFA years. You having the opinion that they have to offer a 1-3 year deal and them being forced to by rule are two completely different things.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
How does he find this information out? Do you think it's good business for BG to release this? Seem petty to me and I'm skeptical. If true, BG will be learning a lesson as a GM.

He's been the Wild beat writer for 15 years, and more or less has the market cornered. Knows literally everyone in the org. Whether it's from BG himself, or the someone else in the front office or even someone in Theonous office.

He's made it clear he won't put something in print if he can't double source it in the past.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Credible or not, we always have to remember that their job is to get clicks and generate revenue. Like I said, the good ones don't have a 100% accuracy rate. Even 75% is high
I... guess? He's not infallible, but given his track record with Wild contract negotiations there's virtually no reason to think that the information is inaccurate.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Yes. I think they have to offer him some sort of contract that doesn’t take any UFA years. I’ve never heard a GM say they won’t offer a short term deal. It’s always “we discussed a variety of lengths including short term”.

As numerous people have said Kaprizov put himself in a position for a tough negotiation. At 55 games, as much as most Wild fans want to believe Kaprizov is strapped to a rocket to be one of the best players in the league, it’s just not a lot of information. Players do step back. Players do plateau. Guerin needs to be mindful of that. He’s completely justified to offer less than Point’s $6.75M for a couple years.

But if Guerin is happy to give the milk away for free and offer that $9.5M on a 5 year term now, Kaprizov would be out his mind not to listen and see how much more he can push.

They did offer him a contact that covered only RFA years.

It's called a qualifying offer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's been the Wild beat writer for 15 years, and more or less has the market cornered. Knows literally everyone in the org. Whether it's from BG himself, or the someone else in the front office or even someone in Theonous office.

He's made it clear he won't put something in print if he can't double source it in the past.

So is it safe to speculate that BG release this contract offer to Russo? If so, that's not cool man. Very petty and not going to help get a contract signed. I don't believe it would be in Kaprizov's agent's best interest to release it?

How does contract offers slip out if it's not the GM or agent? I'm doubtful on this one

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
How does he find this information out? Do you think it's good business for BG to release this? Seem petty to me and I'm skeptical. If true, BG will be learning a lesson as a GM. The only motives I see with releasing this information is that he is frustrated and wants the media and fans to gang up on his player. That's a poor strategy IMO.

As the article says...it's not BG releasing it...but any good reporter will have more sources than just the GM.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I shouldn't need to share the obvious. This basic information about Kaprizov.

He wanted to go to Minnesota. But his father's strong advice, coupled with Minnesota's lack of interest (see earlier provided link) most certainly explains him signing with CSKA in 2017.

Then again, Russo said Putin threatened him. So who knows.:sarcasm::joker: Idiots.

Олег Капризов: в Ярославле сказали, что у Кирилла плохое катание

A big headed parent involving himself is rarely a good thing. That said, looks like the Wild, at least to some degree, helped screw it up also. Probably doesn't help that the organizations main beat writer was spreading lies about the situation too.

Screams of incompetence all the way around.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So is it safe to speculate that BG release this contract offer to Russo? If so, that's not cool man. Very petty and not going to help get a contract signed. I don't believe it would be in Kaprizov's agent's best interest to release it?

How does contract offers slip out if it's not the GM or agent? I'm doubtful on this one

The original post showing you the source of the $9M offer literally said, explicitly, as the first sentence, that Guerin declined to reveal the information.

Other people have access to this information, and Russo has access to them.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

How does contract offers slip out if it's not the GM or agent?
I'm doubtful on this one
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are more than 2 people on the planet privy to these details.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As the article says...it's not BG releasing it...but any good reporter will have more sources than just the GM.

So if not the GM, then someone else in the organization? Wouldn't BG be very pissed off if this was the case? And wouldn't this tarnish any relationship he may have with Russo?

I hope that it's not BG cause if he released it cause he was frustrated and wanted the media and fans to gang up on Kaprizov, that to me means he is in over his head and does not have the patience to be a NHL GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nogatco Rd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad