Speculation: Russo on the status of Kaprizov’s contract negotiations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Eight is a pipedream. They don’t own him. He’s just a player and wants control of his career.

Minnesota can’t claim they conceded off 8 years with a straight face. That is how you destroy a negotiation. That’s bad faith. It does take two to tango. UFA happens at 27. He’s 24.

It's a pipe dream to say we want to make you our franchise and by far the highest paid player ever with such little NHL experience? A contract in line with Brayden Points new deal after he played 350 games and won 2 cups.

It's a realistic offer that many players would have jumped at. He has other priorities, and that's fine.

But you can't say the Wild didn't come down.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He does have some. He can hold out and all that cap space Minny saved this year with the buyouts goes to waste.

you and I both know the cap isn’t going up any time soon and unused cap space doesn’t role to the next year.
The cap space from the buyouts this year has already largely gone to waste. Whatever plans Guerin did or did not have for it went out the window sometime in July.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Are you saying he takes the 5 year term or there is no deal at all?
Kirill is the most fun Wild player I’ve seen. He’s a menace out there. Skilled and effective. That he doesn’t want to commit to the franchise must be a kick in the nuts to that organization and fan base. This is one that does make you feel a bit bad about. That this marriage appears doomed. I think their fans feel jaded and I can’t really blame them.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Eight is a pipedream. They don’t own him. He’s just a player and wants control of his career.

Minnesota can’t claim they conceded off 8 years with a straight face. That is how you destroy a negotiation. That’s bad faith. It does take two to tango. UFA happens at 27. He’s 24.

the problem is kaprizov hasn't moved at all from their "best for the player" stance while the Wild have, in fact, moved. you are implying that Kaprizovs position, which benefits only Kaprizov, is reasonable while the Wild's position is unreasonable. it may be unlikely but it's not more biased toward the Wild side of benefit than Kap's is toward his.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It's a pipe dream to say we want to make you our franchise and by far the highest paid player ever with such little NHL experience? A contract in line with Brayden Points new deal after he played 350 games and won 2 cups.

It's a realistic offer that many players would have jumped at. He has other priorities, and that's fine.

But you can't say the Wild didn't come down.
You can if you know he doesn’t want to play out his career there. Minnesota needs to do what’s best for them and that’s maximize his trade value given he’s not willing to commit his career to the Wild.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd be more open to your opinion if it was an informed one.

There is disconnect here. You are talking about what you and the Wild might want to do and I'm providing what I would do. That's not being uninformed. That's a different approach. You are just not open to other possibilities and your get aggressive when you hear them :laugh:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
the problem is kaprizov hasn't moved at all from their "best for the player" stance while the Wild have, in fact, moved. you are implying that Kaprizovs position, which benefits only Kaprizov, is reasonable while the Wild's position is unreasonable. it may be unlikely but it's not more biased toward the Wild side of benefit than Kap's is toward his.
I’m not implying Kirill is being reasonable. The Wild should not sign him to a 3 year deal. That’s not best for their franchise. They should push for 5 (realistic IMO, also fair). I think 4 is also a solution because it makes him so very valuable next off season.

at this point, your GM needs to find the best way to maximize the value of Kirill’s contact. This isn’t a marriage that has staying power. One side is already cheating. Kirill’s.

Reactions: CreamOfTheCrop

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kirill is the most fun Wild player I’ve seen. He’s a menace out there. Skilled and effective. That he doesn’t want to commit to the franchise must be a kick in the nuts to that organization and fan base. This is one that does make you feel a bit bad about. That this marriage appears doomed. I think their fans feel jaded and I can’t really blame them.

I'm not sure if it's fact that he doesn't want to commit to the franchise. Is that speculation or fact? Any sources or reports you can post to indicate that is fact?

If there is a 5 year deal at $9M, is it being assumed that he don't want to commit cause he would be dumb to not take that deal? Is that deal a fact or rumored report? Hard to know the truth on this.

What if he wants a different term and AAV? How would we know this one way or another?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
There is disconnect here. You are talking about what you and the Wild might want to do and I'm providing what I would do. That's not being uninformed. That's a different approach. You are just not open to other possibilities and your get aggressive when you hear them :laugh:

It doesn't really matter what you would do or why. There's a reason the Wild aren't willing to do what you would do, and it's because it's a bad idea for them. I have no issue recognizing it as a potential option, but you seem to be under the misunderstanding that it's a good one for the team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m not implying Kirill is being reasonable. The Wild should not sign him to a 3 year deal. That’s not best for their franchise. They should push for 5 (realistic IMO, also fair). I think 4 is also a solution because it makes him so very valuable next off season.

at this point, your GM needs to find the best way to maximize the value of Kirill’s contact. This isn’t a marriage that has staying power. One side is already cheating. Kirill’s.

When the Oilers signed Nurse to a 2 year deal then UFA, I found that questionable and then boom... a 8 year deal at $9.25M. Could it be that player agents are sensing of a rising cap quicker than expected and there is no AAV savings past 3 years? Seems like it based on the long term contracts handed out this summer.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Great, so we agree, Guerin needs to stand firm at 5 (or 4) and Kirill can take it or kick rocks? Then what's the problem here? Even if it is a doomed marriage, he's going to have more value on a 5 year contract than on a 2 year contract.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm not sure if it's fact that he doesn't want to commit to the franchise. Is that speculation or fact? Any sources or reports you can post to indicate that is fact?

If there is a 5 year deal at $9M, is it being assumed that he don't want to commit cause he would be dumb to not take that deal? Is that deal a fact or rumored report? Hard to know the truth on this.

What if he wants a different term and AAV? How would we know this one way or another?

It's speculation.

What we know is his agent is Theonous who does his damnedest to get his players every cent possible. Hitting UFA and making as much as possible over the next 3 years is how he accomplishes that.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It doesn't really matter what you would do or why. There's a reason the Wild aren't willing to do what you would do, and it's because it's a bad idea for them. I have no issue recognizing it as a potential option, but you seem to be under the misunderstanding that it's a good one for the team.

In case you didn't noticed, this is not the Wild boards. It's the main boards and it's an open chat forum. Stop playing bully and only what you want matters. Be more open please. There is no misunderstanding. It's only you thinking that your opinion trumps all.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Great, so we agree, Guerin needs to stand firm at 5 (or 4) and Kirill can take it or kick rocks? Then what's the problem here? Even if it is a doomed marriage, he's going to have more value on a 5 year contract than on a 2 year contract.
I agree that 2 and 3 year deals should be off the table. 1 year is worse case scenario it’s Dec 1st and we need him on the ice.

I don’t think a bridge deal makes a damn bit of sense for Minnesota. Opposition fan bases saying otherwise don’t get this scenario. They are off the mark. You are not crazy to say so.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's speculation.

What we know is his agent is Theonous who does his damnedest to get his players every cent possible. Hitting UFA and making as much as possible over the next 3 years is how he accomplishes that.

Kind of what I figured. It's speculation spins that some fans turn it into facts. A few months ago, some Habs fans thought Drouin would never play with the Habs again cause they seen some tweet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree that 2 and 3 year deals should be off the table. 1 year is worse case scenario it’s Dec 1st and we need him on the ice.

I don’t think a bridge deal makes a damn bit of sense for Minnesota. Opposition fan bases saying otherwise don’t get this scenario. They are off the mark. You are not crazy to say so.

Usually, bridge deals happen after longer term deals fall though. You just can't force him to sign a long term deal at your preferred rate. There has to be an end game here. You either pay him for what he wants on a long term deal or you use your RFA leverage. Leverage that might not be what you want but call it plan B.

Nurse with the Oilers is a good example. 2 year deal then UFA and then you are forced to pay him... which you did

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I don’t think a bridge deal makes a damn bit of sense for Minnesota. Opposition fan bases saying otherwise don’t get this scenario. They are off the mark.

So let me ask you this. It's November 30th and neither side has moved in the last 2.5 months. Who needs that one year deal more, Kaprizov or the Wild?

Because the Wild are going to be mediocre either way. They're still going to ice a team though, they're still going to sell tickets, they're still going to get fans in the building, and then they have the same amount of leverage next season in negotiations.

Kaprizov misses out on millions of dollars, loses a year of playing hockey, and still isn't eligible for offer sheets or arbitration next season.

So who needs that contract more?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Usually, bridge deals happen after longer term deals fall though. You just can't force him to sign a long term deal at your preferred rate. There has to be an end game here. You either pay him for what he wants on a long term deal or you use your RFA leverage. Leverage that might not be what you want but call it plan B.

Nurse with the Oilers is a good example. 2 year deal then UFA and then you are forced to pay him... which you did
There aren't many good comparables in this situation because Kaprizov's basically sacrificed his arbitration rights. He wanted to get a larger contract sooner, so he burned the first year of his ELC. Now that it's negotiation time the team needs to proceed as if he has the rights he decided to forego? That doesn't make much sense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So let me ask you this. It's November 30th and neither side has moved in the last 2.5 months. Who needs that one year deal more, Kaprizov or the Wild?

Because the Wild are going to be mediocre either way. They're still going to ice a team though, they're still going to sell tickets, they're still going to get fans in the building, and then they have the same amount of leverage next season in negotiations.

Kaprizov misses out on millions of dollars, loses a year of playing hockey, and still isn't eligible for offer sheets or arbitration next season.

Sounds like the Nylander situation. They end up signing a deal they could have signed months earlier.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sounds like the Nylander situation. They end up signing a deal they could have signed months earlier.

You mean like the 5 year, $45M deal that's been on the table for a while? Sounds good to me.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

okay i misread. i've been hoping for a 4-5 year deal too. as far as reasonableness goes i don't know what Kap's side would want besides the 5/$45m deal. seams overly reasonable.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
So you think the Wild should be FORCED to offer 1-3 years in term?

Again, that's just me. If it's two years then I'm not offering anywhere near the money that the Kaprizov camp wants (probably half of $9M or less). If it's a "prove it" contract then he shouldn't get $7M AAV for instance. If there is any truth to the previously mentioned 3 years $10M AAV ask from the Kaprizov camp then it is yet another example of that camp being unreasonable, unwilling to compromise, and acting in "bad faith" (the buzzword of this thread).
Yes. I think they have to offer him some sort of contract that doesn’t take any UFA years. I’ve never heard a GM say they won’t offer a short term deal. It’s always “we discussed a variety of lengths including short term”.

As numerous people have said Kaprizov put himself in a position for a tough negotiation. At 55 games, as much as most Wild fans want to believe Kaprizov is strapped to a rocket to be one of the best players in the league, it’s just not a lot of information. Players do step back. Players do plateau. Guerin needs to be mindful of that. He’s completely justified to offer less than Point’s $6.75M for a couple years.

But if Guerin is happy to give the milk away for free and offer that $9.5M on a 5 year term now, Kaprizov would be out his mind not to listen and see how much more he can push.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I definitely don’t offer $9mm on a one year deal. That comes in at half that.

but he’s your best player. By far. He is fun to watch. Fiala is a good player. You destroyed Nashville in that trade. He’s someone you notice each game.

Kirill. Totally different. He’s a guy you turn to your buddy and say, “F this guy is good, you see what he just did”.

Avs have Landy. He’s like Fiala in a way. Just a real nice player that wins a few 1st stars each season, makes a consistent impact. But Landy is no Makar. Makar is a, “you Fing see that?. Kirill is closer to that than being a real solid player like Fiala.

for Kirill, I don’t think this is about AAV first and foremost. I hear more about term. This guy doesn’t want to be a career Wild player. He wants out. He took a while a come over? Why? Had a great season and won’t commit… why? Because he doesn’t want to spend the next half decade in St Paul is my guess.

sign him for 4 years and trade him if he won’t sign 5+. That’s a trade the Wild can win next offseason.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There aren't many good comparables in this situation because Kaprizov's basically sacrificed his arbitration rights. He wanted to get a larger contract sooner, so he burned the first year of his ELC. Now that it's negotiation time the team needs to proceed as if he has the rights he decided to forego? That doesn't make much sense.

I remember when Nylander was NHL ready but the Leafs held him in the AHL cause they wanted to tank that year and also limit his RFA years burned. This was one of the reasons why he was exempt from the Vegas draft but he played 3 AHL seasons. Agents and GM's remember this stuff and I bet you the RFA years left was something Dubas was trying to take advantage of while Nylander's agent was saying it would be one RFA year less if you didn't block him. That might have caused that contract to take a while to get signed. Nonsense

With me it's not complicated. If you don't like the bridge idea cause you value and trust in his ability, pay him on the long term deal. $9M or $10M on a 5 year deal is not going to hurt you that much. What is he actually asking for? No idea

It's tricky cause we really don't know the facts. It appears to me he is being greedy but that's speculation

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Care to share?

It is when Kaprizov isn't interested.

I shouldn't need to share the obvious. This basic information about Kaprizov.

He wanted to go to Minnesota. But his father's strong advice, coupled with Minnesota's lack of interest (see earlier provided link) most certainly explains him signing with CSKA in 2017.

Then again, Russo said Putin threatened him. So who knows.:sarcasm::joker: Idiots.

Олег Капризов: в Ярославле сказали, что у Кирилла плохое катание

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad