Speculation: Russo on the status of Kaprizov’s contract negotiations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
A one year means he either accepts his QO or elects for arbitration next year, and then accepts his QO or elects for arbitration the following year, and then what do you know, he's a UFA.
Two years of arbitration is a long time to wait in such a situation. Wouldn’t be fun for Kirill. I don’t think it’s as simple/wait out-able a timeline as you suggest.

team realistically wants 5 years. Player wants 3. 4 may end up being the compromise. It’s a very tradable term next summer.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Two years of arbitration is a long time to wait in that situation. Wouldn’t be fun for Kirill. I don’t think it’s as simple/wait out-able as timeline as you suggest.

Two years of arbitration after a one year contract is the exact same as giving him a three year contract. He gets three one year contracts as opposed to one three year contract. There's no difference in the timeline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The problem with the bridge is that it probably forces the team to trade him before the end of it. Some portion of Minnesota's fanbase is generally okay with that, but it seems like the team isn't keen on going there if it doesn't have to.

But there isn't a realistic way for Minnesota to bridge him, reevaluate, and sign a longer extension in the middle of the "dead cap years" from the Parise and Suter buyouts. That's why the idea's getting dismissed.

I think the trade situation idea only kicks in if the next level of contract talks end up the same. Lets say you give him $7M for 1 or two years and he falls back to 0.75 pts/game, then you just saved yourself from a massive problem contract if you went with 5 years or more at $9M+. Good luck trying to trade him in that case.

I guess the question here is there is no 82 game sample size with either his NHL season last year or the KHL. Can he hold 0.93 pts/game over 82 games? Appears like most think he can?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Two years of arbitration after a one year contract is the exact same as giving him a three year contract. He gets three one year contracts as opposed to one three year contract. There's no difference in the timeline.
It’s just not fun for the player. You’re thinking math. I’m thinking human. To be playing out a contract situation like that is unheard of. It would be like he’s on the team but not really. For 3 seasons. It wouldn’t play out that way.

this guy wins a lot of hockey. He’ll have too much pride to make his situation that sticky.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think the trade situation idea only kicks in if the next level of contract talks end up the same. Lets say you give him $7M for 1 or two years and he falls back to 0.75 pts/game, then you just saved yourself from a massive problem contract if you went with 5 years or more at $9M+. Good luck trying to trade him in that case.

I guess the question here is there is no 82 game sample size with either his NHL season last year or the KHL. Can he hold 0.93 pts/game over 82 games? Appears like most think he can?

Everyone already understands this, and no one cares. You're focusing on the wrong things.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I think you're way more concerned about hedging against the possibility of Kaprizov being a 60-ish point winger going forward than the team is. They clearly aren't worried about last season being a flash in the pan, and I don't blame them.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s just not fun for the player. You’re thinking math. I’m thinking human. To be playing out a contract situation like that is unheard of. It would be like he’s on the team but not really. For 3 seasons. It wouldn’t play out that way.

this guy wins a lot of hockey. He’ll have too much pride.

It's not fun for the team either. So maybe he should just take the 5 year, $45M offer that's on the table and worry about the rest later.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
You don't make more money at the end of the day playing in Russia like he did.. If it was about money he would have been in North America years ago. It's also what is making it harder for him to get this contract done right now. I'm sure at the end of this he will take Guerin to the cleaners but he has cost himself a small fortune staying in Russia. But he has his reasons and good for him if he has done what is best for him.

From his past interviews, it's obvious Kirill took the safest route to the NHL at the behest of his father's advice. He wanted Kirill in Russia for development reasons while also making good KHL money.

Many NHL fans have an insane sense of entitlement and crap on their players when their NHL team isn't the center of a player's universe. They overlook that going to the NHL is very risky, especially when your not fully developed. It's a completely different world from where Kirill is from; so many things can go wrong.

You realize that his agent at the time didn’t want him to play in North America, and wouldn’t even allow a sit-down between the team and player at the WJC, right? I’m sure from his end it seemed like we didn’t try, but it’s far from the truth.

His agent had nothing to do with the lack of communication at the WJC. Coach Bragin prohibited players from talking to NHL teams during the WJC. It's standard practice. Players were (and still are) expected to commit themselves 100% to team Russia and not use the WJC as opportunity to explore future professional options. This isn't anything out of the ordinary.

From all indications, in those years Minnesota didn't show much interest in him outside of when they thought communication would be the easiest (international tournaments).
I mean seriously, it wasn't that difficult to have a representative fly to Novokuznetsk during an off-season and establish a face-to-face relationship. Apparently Minnesota didn't even bother doing this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Everyone already understands this, and no one cares. You're focusing on the wrong things.

Nah, you have your own idea and think all others are garbage. You think a 1 or 2 year bride is the exact same as a 3 year deal. Not quite but you want to take the risks of the longer team deal and no other option works for you. Therefore, any other idea is a bad one

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
From all indications,

Care to share?

in those years Minnesota didn't show much interest in him outside of when they thought communication would be the easiest (international tournaments).
I mean seriously, it wasn't that difficult to have a representative fly to Novokuznetsk during an off-season and establish a face-to-face relationship. Apparently Minnesota didn't even bother doing this.

It is when Kaprizov isn't interested.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nah, you have your own idea and think all others are garbage.

I think the fact that Guerin has offered 5 years and $45M is proof enough that he doesn't care about the risk associated with offering 5 years and $45M, but if you disagree then I don't know what to tell you.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think you're way more concerned about hedging against the possibility of Kaprizov being a 60-ish point winger going forward than the team is. They clearly aren't worried about last season being a flash in the pan, and I don't blame them.

What's the hold up then? If they believe in him, pay him. Just give into whatever he wants. Are the Wild trying to get $1M or $0.5M of savings on a 5+ year term?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Two years of arbitration is a long time to wait in such a situation. Wouldn’t be fun for Kirill. I don’t think it’s as simple/wait out-able a timeline as you suggest.

team realistically wants 5 years. Player wants 3. 4 may end up being the compromise. It’s a very tradable term next summer.
The team wants 8. He wants 3. The team has already come down in search of a deal.

How far has Kaprizov moved...

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It's not fun for the team either. So maybe he should just take the 5 year, $45M offer that's on the table and worry about the rest later.
He clearly doesn’t want to hit UFA at 29. And he’s not wrong. Doing it at 28 will be better for his chances to sign a huge 7 year deal.

the compromise should be 4 years because Minny can get huge value trading him. You know that’s exactly where this is headed.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What's the hold up then? If they believe in him, pay him. Just give into whatever he wants. Are the Wild trying to get $1M or $0.5M of savings on a 5+ year term?

It's miraculous how dedicated you are to refusing to understand what's going on.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The team wants 8. He wants 3. The team has already come down in search of a deal.

How far has Kaprizov moved...
Eight is a pipedream. They don’t own him. He’s just a player and wants control of his career.

Minnesota can’t claim they conceded off 8 years with a straight face. That is how you destroy a negotiation. That’s bad faith. It does take two to tango. UFA happens at 27. He’s 24.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the fact that Guerin has offered 5 years and $45M is proof enough that he doesn't care about the risk associated with offering 5 years and $45M, but if you disagree then I don't know what to tell you.

All it means is your opinion is in line with Guerin if that report is true. What you don't realize is there are alternative opinions and options if Kaprizov don't accept that offer. What you going to do now? Offer $10M AAV over 5 years?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He clearly doesn’t want to hit UFA at 29. And he’s not wrong. Doing it at 28 will be better for his chances to sign a huge 7 year deal.

Oh well, it is what it is. He doesn't have a lot of options right now.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You are too aggressive. Just chill man. It's a chat forum where there will be different opinions. You need to be more open to that

I'd be more open to your opinion if it was an informed one.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They've offered ~$9m on a 5 year contract. Refusing to go higher than that isn't exactly nickle-and-diming him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Oh well, it is what it is. He doesn't have a lot of options right now.
He does have some. He can hold out and all that cap space Minny saved this year with the buyouts goes to waste.

you and I both know the cap isn’t going up any time soon and unused cap space doesn’t role to the next year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Are you saying he takes the 5 year term or there is no deal at all?

I'm saying he can work with the Wild to find a deal that works for them as well or there is no deal at all.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He does have some. He can hold out and all that cap space Minny saved this year with the buyouts goes to waste.

Look at the other moves they've made, look at their roster. Do you think they were planning on using the cap space to go for a Cup this year anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad