Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Point being he's a 3rd pair RHD and need to be paid accordingly. There's no room to be signing him for ~$2M or whatever he might get elsewhere.
Ideally and it's what I hope for. But Id hate to see a 1M D-man that sucks ass like Benning brought in instead of a 2M Vinny that can actually do the job well though, even if hes overpaid. Guess it comes down to what he'll command on the market, that will ultimately answer this for us.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Jeff Skinner buyout maybe? I'd be all over that as our Top 6 Winger we've been missing. Maybe once bought out, he decides he wants to just go for a Cup on the cheap.

I remember an old Oil Change episode and I think Stu Macgregor was talking about how he's a can't miss scoring machine, but we wouldn't be in range to draft him that year. Maybe a full circlish type of moment if we can find a way to fit him in.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ideally and it's what I hope for. But Id hate to see a 1M D-man that sucks ass like Benning brought in instead of a 2M Vinny that can actually do the job well though, even if hes overpaid. Guess it comes down to what he'll command on the market, that will ultimately answer this for us.
I mean, Vinny was healthy scratched for the end of the playoffs. Thats not a guy who CAN do it. You can’t pay 2mill for a guy you willingly sat

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mean, Vinny was healthy scratched for the end of the playoffs. Thats not a guy who CAN do it. You can’t pay 2mill for a guy you willingly sat
3rd pair guys usually are swap in swap out guys just like bottom 6 forwards. They come and go as the team makeup needs it. Vinny was good throughout the regular season and fine in 2 playoff rounds until Broberg brought something we needed more. I also think he was dealing with injury and that brought his game down.

It’ll depend on the overall make up of the club and how much money is left. But I bet there’s a lot of teams that would take Vinny on the 3rd pair.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Even I don't agree with him being sat, this is a solid assessment, as much as I love the kid. Spot on.

Kemp isn't as mean, from all accounts, but he skates well enough and moves the puck better, I suspect he might be able to fill Vinny's role next year.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Even I don't agree with him being sat, this is a solid assessment, as much as I love the kid. Spot on.

Kemp isn't as mean, from all accounts, but he skates well enough and moves the puck better, I suspect he might be able to fill Vinny's role next year.
Besides the silly grouchy faces there is nothing mean about Desharnais as a player. He's like Stortini level soft. Never throws big hits, never actually does much punishment to the opposition with stick work or after the whistle. He'll just grab on to people.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Besides the silly grouchy faces there is nothing mean about Desharnais as a player. He's like Stortini level soft. Never throws big hits, never actually does much punishment to the opposition with stick work or after the whistle. He'll just grab on to people.
He’s plenty mean and plays like it. Gets under forwards skin too doing it. How much that ultimately brings value to us is debateable though. But for mean-ness by D, he does his job.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
3rd pair guys usually are swap in swap out guys just like bottom 6 forwards. They come and go as the team makeup needs it. Vinny was good throughout the regular season and fine in 2 playoff rounds until Broberg brought something we needed more. I also think he was dealing with injury and that brought his game down.

It’ll depend on the overall make up of the club and how much money is left. But I bet there’s a lot of teams that would take Vinny on the 3rd pair.
We would too but we can’t afford to pay a player as limited as Vinny 2 mill+.
He is a 6/7 d and that’s like 1.1 mill at MAX.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We would too but we can’t afford to pay a player as limited as Vinny 2 mill+.
He is a 6/7 d and that’s like 1.1 mill at MAX.
Hmm possibly. We did get away with 2.75M on the 3rd pair this last year though. If Broberg is replacing Kulak and his dollars, maybe we can afford 2M on the other side this time around. But I really haven't even considered what our Cap looks like yet.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Honestly, he's very mean and physical, he's just smart and doesn't take penalties, which for a player with a game like his is kind amazing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Vinny at his age and career earnings I fully expect to chase the dollar, it’s the best thing for him.

Saw a poster mention Jeff skinner after a buyout, imo he’s too small and won’t be a factor in the playoffs even if he made it.
It's just adding veteran depth. This team already has difference makers, Skinner doesn't need to be that, just contribute a bit and make the team deeper overall

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
My biggest issue is his complete inability in the O zone. Doesn't even have a hard slap shot.

I'd still bring him back on a cheap deal as our 6 though

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
lol are you kidding? hes one of the reasons it went to 7 games this series. Losing him would be foolish. Who do you replace him with? reminder Ullmark gone.
Not kidding at all. He's good for a bad goal/game on most nights. The Canucks' 3rd-string goalie was better than Skinner. Let's trade for that guy. His sv% was .898 and Skinner's was .901, but Silovs played against the Oilers pp. Skinner never faced anything like that firing squad.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Not kidding at all. He's good for a bad goal/game on most nights. The Canucks' 3rd-string goalie was better than Skinner. Let's trade for that guy. His sv% was .898 and Skinner's was .901, but Silovs played against the Oilers pp. Skinner never faced anything like that firing squad.

Skinner was fantastic in the playoffs. Not the reason we lost. Do you expect him to be Shesterkin in his sophomore year for 2.6M AAV?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Jeff Skinner buyout maybe? I'd be all over that as our Top 6 Winger we've been missing. Maybe once bought out, he decides he wants to just go for a Cup on the cheap.

I remember an old Oil Change episode and I think Stu Macgregor was talking about how he's a can't miss scoring machine, but we wouldn't be in range to draft him that year. Maybe a full circlish type of moment if we can find a way to fit him in.
The key to winning a Stanley Cup is having at least 1 Sabre castoff on your team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This is a you problem, not a Skinner problem

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Skinner was fantastic in the playoffs. Not the reason we lost. Do you expect him to be Shesterkin in his sophomore year for 2.6M AAV?
I’ve always said this team wins the Cup with .900 goaltending. Skinner provided that for most of the games but we came a goal short. He was the problem. Our top 6 completely disappeared in the finals minus 8 periods where Mcdavid went supernova.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hmm possibly. We did get away with 2.75M on the 3rd pair this last year though. If Broberg is replacing Kulak and his dollars, maybe we can afford 2M on the other side this time around. But I really haven't even considered what our Cap looks like yet.
Okay but Kulak is a substantially better player than Desharnais. You can’t pay a guy like Vinny who is a 6/7 d 2mill when you are paying your 4/5 d 9mill

Reactions: McDoused

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
How did Nurse manage to get a full NMC in his contract as well? Christ sake.

Good riddance Holland, we should be celebrating Sunday when his contract expires.

The team is handcuffed with Nurse. Going to take some really creative maneuvering to bring back our 3rd line while adding to the rest of the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad