Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I agree with you except that Kane is such a tough player to give up on. He brings such a unique skillset to the team when he is healthy. Not an easy player to replace.
Fair but his health and defensive awareness are major concerns. Not to mention his age. We were a much better team with him out of the lineup in the finals.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Fair but his health and defensive awareness are major concerns. Not to mention his age. We were a much better team with him out of the lineup in the finals.
Yes....the team was better because the quality of play an injured Kane was able to bring to the table was well below his standard.
Injuries are a concern though (so I agree with you there 100%) because he is going to be 33 at the start of next season and players that play a heavy game can drop off quite quickly once they get into their early to mid 30's.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
So we're pretty much going into the draft and start of free agency with out a GM???

That's a very oilers thing to do 🤔

Hoping for addition by subtraction with the following gone next season

Campbell
Macloed
Ryan( just nothing left in the tank anymore)
Perry
Desharnais

That would b a good start.....

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Trade for whoever the hell is the captain or assistant on the Sabres pronto. ;)
And remember. Sabres are THE team that McDavid could have/should have went to besides us. Or maybe the Leaf’s. Or maybe the Yotes.

McDavid was saved from those shitty scenarios because of the Oilers lottery win. And people still clown on the Oilers as if we are preventing his Cup. Out of all the possible scenarios this is the best possible place for him to land at the draft.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
So we're pretty much going into the draft and start of free agency with out a GM???

That's a very oilers thing to do 🤔

Hoping for addition by subtraction with the following gone next season

Campbell
Macloed
Ryan( just nothing left in the tank anymore)
Perry
Desharnais

That would b a good start.....
They have one pick through the first 4 rounds, after round 3, it’s pretty much throw a dart at a board. A GM isn’t really needed at the table this year. Free agency wise, it was Jackson who did the calling around on Knoblauch so he may just handle the GM duties for this year but it’s not like Oilers can go Lambo shopping on a Kraft Dinner budget anyways so put a turnip in the GM chair and call it good for now.

Reactions: Wreckus

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG

Trade for whoever the hell is the captain or assistant on the Sabres pronto. ;)
Zemgus-Girgensons-0202023

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I'd like to replace Kane with Debrusk. Pay someone to take Campbell's contract or buy out. Trade Ceci and Kane for an upgrade on D to play with Nurse - not sure management would trade Nurse, even if they could. This isn't Vegas. Try to get our third line back - trade McLeod.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What would be Kane's value around the League anyways? Lots of soft eastern conference teams seem to seem to want him. I know the Leafs fans are jealous we have him. He helped us these playoffs with his focus on guys like Zad, Hughes, and Doughty. But for $5M i wonder if we can do better.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
What would be Kane's value around the League anyways? Lots of soft eastern conference teams seem to seem to want him. I know the Leafs fans are jealous we have him. He helped us these playoffs with his focus on guys like Zad, Hughes, and Doughty. But for $5M i wonder if we can do better.
NMC until 2025 when it becomes M-NTC

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Summary? I can’t read it. :(

Nothing new.

Edmonton is not inclined to let the 28-year-old center simply play out the final year of his contract and walk directly into free agency next July, according to multiple league sources familiar with the front office’s view of the situation.

With Connor McDavid eligible to sign an extension 12 months down the line and the Oilers eager to extend their championship window as long as possible, there is at least some concern about the potential for a “double whammy” in the event Draisaitl were retained for 2024-25 without a new contract in place. It could create a scenario where he leaves for nothing just as McDavid is set to chart his own future.

Any scenario that might see both players leave in quick succession would be catastrophic for Edmonton and must be avoided at all costs.

While the longtime teammates and close friends aren’t a package deal — they’re each operating on the principle of making the best decision tailored for their individual circumstances, according to league sources — they are inextricably linked.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yes we were, but that's obvious given his injury status. But Kane at 100 % or even close to it, would definitely have made us a better team.

Reactions: TB12

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I don't know why, but I always felt Girgensons was destined to be an Oiler.

I think ever since he went to the all-star game and had to buy a dress shirt the same day and came wearing it right out of the pack. Just felt like, this guy is an Oiler at heart.

columbus-oh-sportscaster-daren-millard-speaks-with-zemgus-girgensons-of-the-buffalo-sabres-of.jpg

Make it happen next GM.
Heh... I didn't realize he's a UFA this year. I wonder if we'd have interest. Not sure if he's cooked now though, or is willing to play in Canada. Longest tenured Sabre, I think, and also played junior in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad