Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Man i really like that Demelo. But is he 4.9M good? Guess with the cap increasing he must be. Surprised he didn't explore the market though, but he found himself a good fit, even if its Winnipeg.

What would y'all trade for Mathieu Joseph? Actually, would you do McLeod for Joseph straight up?
Nope.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This team can't runback 3C with Ryan McLeod.

Watching the Engine Line of Janmark, Henrique, Brown reinforces how critical third line centre and a veteran bottom six line is to playoff success. I'm not overly confident Henrique will be back but they need to solidify the 3C spot.
I so badly want Janmark, Henrique and Brown all re-signed. Like, now. Even if it means paying Henrique a bit...generously. 3 year deal please.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
100%

I was a big fan of Clouder (I even have a signed puck…lol) but he’s gotta go. Arguably the biggest passenger in the playoffs and far too soft to be a bottom 6C. He had that one stretch of playing with grit during the winning streak and went back to perimeter play. Not skilled enough to be a finesse player either.
There are good pieces to his game: elite skating, solid face-off, penalty kill and generally okay defensive play. Think he can still maybe grow into a 3C but that's not the next 2 years for this team. He either shifts to bottom six wing or moves for a hard ice veteran 3C player.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I so badly want Janmark, Henrique and Brown all re-signed. Like, now. Even if it means paying Henrique a bit...generously. 3 year deal please.
Henrique has played almost half his life in the States. I'd like him re-signed but my gut since he was acquired has been this is a one and done UFA player. Hope I'm wrong.

Janmark has been loyal but he'll want a raise. Brown was overpaid but there's some hope they will find a reasonable salary point. This is the exact kind of bottom six line required to play deep, meaningful playoff rounds.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Henrique has played almost half his life in the States. I'd like him re-signed but my gut since he was acquired has been this is a one and done UFA player. Hope I'm wrong.

Janmark has been loyal but he'll want a raise. Brown was overpaid but there's some hope they will find a reasonable salary point. This is the exact kind of bottom six line required to play deep, meaningful playoff rounds.
I agree, he's likely gone, but I want Henrique back. I've liked him forever, and was really happy we got him. I think he contributed, and would do moreso over a few full seasons.

I agree on Janmark and Brown. Their playoffs may have earned them paydays that we can't afford, but I hope their desire to win keeps them here.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I agree, he's likely gone, but I want Henrique back. I've liked him forever, and was really happy we got him. I think he contributed, and would do moreso over a few full seasons.

I agree on Janmark and Brown. Their playoffs may have earned them paydays that we can't afford, but I hope their desire to win keeps them here.

Seravelli was saying Janmark was willing to take a paycut to stay on the Oilers. I also wouldn't be surprised if Brown did the same.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If they have a chance to sign DeBrusk for a reasonable amount ($5 mill range) ... I would go hard at that, enough is enough with Draisaitl having no one to play with 5 on 5.

Rather than buying out Campbell I'd consider a deal for him for a goalie that's fed up in another market. Elvis wants out of Columbus bad, that could be a fair change of scenery for both guys. That would give the Oilers one more hyper-athletic style goalie to contrast against Skinner's more static/positional style and then you at least have the option of different styles against different opponents.

I think they will look at trying to add Dylan Strome at some point. Call it Erie Otters nepotism, but I can see it, and he can play.
Absolutely not. They need the cap space, taking on another bad contract especially a player that won't contribute much is a no no. Take that $3.9m of cap space from the buyout for this offseason in the real win now window, do it as soon as possible.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Absolutely not. They need the cap space, taking on another bad contract especially a player that won't contribute much is a no no. Take that $3.9m of cap space from the buyout for this offseason in the real win now window, do it as soon as possible.

It isn't the cap windfall people think it is.

$1.5 million cap penalty this year, but then you sign a capable back up for $1.5 million as well ... well now you're $3 million out, that's a savings of really only $2 million next season in order and then on top of that a large cap penalty in Draisaitl + Bouchard's extension years which is not ideal.

In this scenario, who knows, maybe a guy like Merzlikins comes in and plays well behind our better D structure and puts up say a .910 or something. If you want then at that point, you can probably trade that player straight up and avoid like six years of cap penalty for no reason.

Inf123

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
I hope they go after arviddson in FA, I think he would do well on the 2nd line. Def try to keep janmark-brown and henrique if he wants to stay at a reasonable cap hit. Need to upgrade on ceci + nurse if it's possible and buyout/trade campbell. Also, probably unpopular opinion but I think they should move on from Kane if they can find someone to take his contract, I think the injuries are going to slow him down a lot in the coming years.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Need to go hard for Chris Tanev. Need to move a contract or 2 out as well.
I don’t know how I feel on Tanev anymore. He looked old and slow in that Dallas series. I think Edmonton needs someone who can skate and move the puck better to play in our top 4.

He also seems to be a safe bet to get injured and miss 20-30 games every other year.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
I hope they go after arviddson in FA, I think he would do well on the 2nd line. Def try to keep janmark-brown and henrique if he wants to stay at a reasonable cap hit. Need to upgrade on ceci + nurse if it's possible and buyout/trade campbell. Also, probably unpopular opinion but I think they should move on from Kane if they can find someone to take his contract, I think the injuries are going to slow him down a lot in the coming years.
I also wouldn't doubt Kane was less than thrilled he got sat down in the SCF. If that's the case we don't need his attitude bringing the vibe down and being a possible distraction next year. It was obvious he was pouty on the third line this year.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I don’t know how I feel on Tanev anymore. He looked old and slow in that Dallas series. I think Edmonton needs someone who can skate and move the puck better to play in our top 4.

He also seems to be a safe bet to get injured and miss 20-30 games every other year.
Friedman said on his last podcast that there’s mutual interest between him and Dallas to stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay