Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Of the UFA F's, I'd only re-sign Brown and Janmark as sure bets. Those guys were 2/3rds of our best line when it counted. They showed up, consistently, more than anyone else in the forward core.

Perry should not be considered. Guy was basically invisible, and incredibly slow. I'd also have to consider moving on from Kane but a) he has some kind of NMC / modified NTC, and b) he is still recovering from both a horrific sliced through arm and also the sports hernia. He is, however, on the wrong side of age and with the type of game he plays he is a rapidly declining asset. Very few players nowadays offer the blend of aggression and scoring that he does though. Tough decision there. Ryan has one more year left so maybe they keep him around, I guess.

Holloway is an RFA so they will have to sign him. Regardless of making it all the way, only to falter at the most important moment, the incoming GM needs to make some hard decisions. They weren't good enough, bottom line. What happens with Draisaitl, and subsequently McDavid? Both are up in the next two years (scary thought). Again, they signed that Kalle Larsson guy to oversee the development side of things, which they need, but also could indicate them laying the groundwork for the possibility of losing one or both of those two (but I am hoping against hope they do re-sign them both).

You stick with Broberg the entire year, including all the growing pains. But there is a glut of LHD, and it's pretty tough playing your off side while defending, having to turn into the boards on your backhand to retrieve pucks, etc. Need to address that, and the whole f***ing Nurse conundrum... what a god damn headache that player is.

I also don't know about goaltending. Still a bit unsure of what we have there. Mercurial Skinner, though I think Pickard was just fine as a back up and would like to see him back. There's a tonne of work to do for the incoming GM, whomever that person is, so as someone else pointedly said, hopefully this bush league front office doesn't f*** that up either.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This belongs more in the PGT than here but you all know my feelings on Skinner. When you don’t like someone it’s easy to crap on them but I cannot find fault with him on either goal last night. The first was a beautifully placed shot and an even better tip. Unless the goalie gets lucky, that’s going in on most NHL goalies. The second one, they even showed in the replay the Draisaitl stick check (not blaming him either) was just enough to affect the release and angle of the puck and it found a hole. He gave up two goals. Nine times out of ten, that’s an Oilers victory.

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
Going to be a really interesting off-season, with the Brown and Perry bonuses eating most of next year's cap increase, any flexibility is going to have to come from moving on from players. Campbell will for sure be bought out, and I can see one of Ceci or Kulak being moved. I'd love if the team could move on from the Nurse contract but unfortunately that's impossible.

Would be nice to keep all of Janmark, Brown, and Henrique, but that's likely going to be very difficult, my guess is only Janmark is back. Perry and Ryan are probably both gone. I don't know if Kane is going to be the right fit for the team anymore, seems like injuries are likely catching up to him even if he's fully healthy next year and he's paid too much to play in the bottom 6. Don't really know if they can do it this season, but the biggest need I think is a legitimate top 6 winger for the Draisaitl line. I don't think Kane can do it anymore, and Holloway needs to grow a bit more into it.

At least Broberg looks like he should be on the team full-time next year which would definitely be a benefit.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Guy is a lost cause, BBO. He is vastly overpaid, by at least $3.5 million, and is a 10 year+ vet roughly who we are talking about sheltering. SHELTERING HIS MINUTES. FFS. The guy can f*** all the way off, him and his 2 cent brain. He was absolutely caved defensively and was directly culpable in a number of goals where he royally f***ed up defensive assignments, missed retrieving pucks, lost battles, or didn't have an active stick to prevent a pass getting through in a lane. f*** the guy, really.
Like I told a friend of mine, in the D-zone and still after this many years in the league, Nurse looks like he stepped out of Costco and looks around trying to remember where he parked his car.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Like I told a friend if mine, in the D-zone and still after this many years in the league, Nurse looks like he stepped out of Costco and looks around trying to remember where he parked his car.
A lost cause, man.. a complete lost cause. The worst part is if you look on Capfriendly, he's the longest signed Oiler. FFS, this management team..

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We're long past the excuses for why players can't be moved. If someone actually wanted PLD we can find a suitor for Nurse.
So I want to agree, but something friends with McDavid and NMC clause, plus what kind of non-existence assets.

The team absolutely should move on from Nurse this offseason, but there's no real way to do it without sewering things harder, so I guess here we are.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So I want to agree, but something friends with McDavid and NMC clause, plus what kind of non-existence assets.

The team absolutely should move on from Nurse this offseason, but there's no real way to do it without sewering things harder, so I guess here we are.
I could care less if he's friends with McDavid. The goal isn't to make friends, it's to win the Stanley Cup.

If nurse doesn’t want to move he ain’t moving. That’s not an excuse that’s a fact.
I understand that. So talk to him.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory

Yeah, it's a monumental task to move the guy and his absolutely shite contract. We are stuck with this clown.. for years, and years. Best we can do is find someone who can skate and transport the puck, to shelter this bozo. Can't even believe we have to talk about this regarding a 10+ year vet, what a god damn joke.

Reactions: MessierII

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
A lost cause, man.. a complete lost cause. The worst part is if you look on Capfriendly, he's the longest signed Oiler. FFS, this management team..
The NHLPA would never agree to this but this is why I hate guaranteed contracts, unlike the NFL. If they would at least allow the restructuring of one contract per season to not less than 50% of the current contract, I could live with that too.

His would be the top of the list for a restructuring.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I still believe Nurse was hurt, like this season was far and away his worst, and he hardly ever rushed the puck up, which I just don't think disappears from a guy's game like that. I think you have to find a way to move forward with an Ekholm, Broberg, Nurse left side next year. I loved Broberg's game in the playoffs, he's going to be the xfactor for this team improving next year.

Upfront, Kane's not leaving. I wasn't huge on Henrique, I think he's too slow. You need to replace Henrique, Perry, and Ryan imo. Maybe you look at giving Lavoie a shot. Holloway is obviously a mainstay in the lineup moving forward. They need a winger to step up and produce with Draisaitl consistently. This team will be unstoppable if that ever happens.

I think you have to let Foegele go as well unfortunately. I just don't think he fits on this team moving forward. Will be interesting to see what they do in the next couple of days.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Going to be a really interesting off-season, with the Brown and Perry bonuses eating most of next year's cap increase, any flexibility is going to have to come from moving on from players. Campbell will for sure be bought out, and I can see one of Ceci or Kulak being moved. I'd love if the team could move on from the Nurse contract but unfortunately that's impossible.

Would be nice to keep all of Janmark, Brown, and Henrique, but that's likely going to be very difficult, my guess is only Janmark is back. Perry and Ryan are probably both gone. I don't know if Kane is going to be the right fit for the team anymore, seems like injuries are likely catching up to him even if he's fully healthy next year and he's paid too much to play in the bottom 6. Don't really know if they can do it this season, but the biggest need I think is a legitimate top 6 winger for the Draisaitl line. I don't think Kane can do it anymore, and Holloway needs to grow a bit more into it.

At least Broberg looks like he should be on the team full-time next year which would definitely be a benefit.
Brown's former agent wearing the GM pants for us might be good for us in the short term.

Wasserman has a few interesting names hitting free agency. Roy, Teravainen, Kapanen, Joshua, Domi, Brown, Lafferty. I bet JJ is going to use his connections with guys he's familiar with and scoop a couple.

Reactions: Faelko

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I still believe Nurse was hurt, like this season was far and away his worst, and he hardly ever rushed the puck up, which I just don't think disappears from a guy's game like that. I think you have to find a way to move forward with an Ekholm, Broberg, Nurse left side next year. I loved Broberg's game in the playoffs, he's going to be the xfactor for this team improving next year.

Upfront, Kane's not leaving. I wasn't huge on Henrique, I think he's too slow. You need to replace Henrique, Perry, and Ryan imo. Maybe you look at giving Lavoie a shot. Holloway is obviously a mainstay in the lineup moving forward. They need a winger to step up and produce with Draisaitl consistently. This team will be unstoppable if that ever happens.

I think you have to let Foegele go as well unfortunately. I just don't think he fits on this team moving forward. Will be interesting to see what they do in the next couple of days.

Feels like Nurse has been declining ever since the Canadian division in the covid year. I doubt he’s overly injured. I think he just got money bag and is complacent. He always had some warts but we don’t even see his strengths anymore.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Nurse? I agree 1000%, but there's not way to move him, NMC, means Oiler for life.

Gotta try at least. Have the tough conversation with him. Maybe he is feeling all the weight of that contract and wouldn't mind a fresh start. He can't be blind to Knob spending the entire year bending over backwards to find how to make him less of a liability. Which ends with a rookie D playing his off side needing to do 80% of the puck work for Nurse for Nurse to even look like a passable $3M stay home quality D. Got to be a bit embarrassing.

There are definitely loads of GMs out there that are still obsessed with a players pedigree and the hopium attached to it. Hence why PLD has tricked 3 teams in a few years now.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

If the price is right he certainly has a place. Unfortunately this is probably going to be the last big contract he gets in his career and he's going to want to lock up $$ and term to capitalize on a pretty good regular season. He's going to price himself out of the Oilers. Someone is going to give him $4M+ and term.

Nurse was certainly hurt. I don't like the guy, but he is not as bad as he was this season. A rebound year next year would be huge for the team. He is not movable IMO, but I would be happy if they game him a change of scenery as well and would wish him all the best.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If the price is right he certainly has a place. Unfortunately this is probably going to be the last big contract he gets in his career and he's going to want to lock up $$ and term to capitalize on a pretty good regular season. He's going to price himself out of the Oilers. Someone is going to give him $4M+ and term.

Nurse was certainly hurt. I don't like the guy, but he is not as bad as he was this season. A rebound year next year would be huge for the team. He is not movable IMO, but I would be happy if they game him a change of scenery as well and would wish him all the best.
I don't really understand why everyone hates him. This was by far his worst year out of the last four, and he was really good the other three. I get the contract thing, but until this season he's been a physical player with solid metrics and good even strength scoring, has he not? Just feels like everyone thinks he doesn't give a shit, when I don't feel like we've had any indication that he's that type of person or player. I doubt McDavid and Draisaitl would have any time for him if that was the case, and by all accounts they seem to really like him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Feels like Nurse has been declining ever since the Canadian division in the covid year. I doubt he’s overly injured. I think he just got money bag and is complacent. He always had some warts but we don’t even see his strengths anymore.

Speed fell off after that bad hip injury I think. His game is 95% dependent on speed. He needs it to make up for how reactive his game is and how bad he is at reading the play. If he can't skate well enough to go with how he is last second reacting to everything, he can't do much anymore aside from pylon impersonations.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
It would be really nice if this team focused on getting Draisaitl a legit winger this year. I know Guentzel has probably priced himself out but if you could move out Ceci and Kulak and replace them with a legitimate top six winger, I think the team comes out ahead. It's unfortunate that Kane and Nuge weren't able to fill that role this year, it makes a huge difference.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad