Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
But I've heard that dead cap means poison, so we don't want that, and you can't trade him, so just riding it out for the minimal savings is the only option.

I would like to be creative and what not, but it's too hard and there's too much risk, so you have to status quo.
While CapFriendly is up, here's the details on a Campbell buyout, with a rising cap, possibly a big jump next year without the drag of Arizona on league revenue, this is not poison.

Then who is sheltering Nurse during the regular season and slowly taking his minutes?
Broberg will get there, may take a few more months.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
While CapFriendly is up, here's the details on a Campbell buyout, with a rising cap, possibly a big jump next year without the drag of Arizona on league revenue, this is not poison.

That's fair, but this team can't afford it like other teams can. I think they'll just have to make due.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Broberg's underlying numbers were actually extremely poor. He and Nurse got their heads kicked in more often than not, they were just riding a PDO heater.

That's not Broberg's fault at all. He's a rookie being asked to play on his off side because Nurse is so shit the idea of him doing it is ridiculous. Broberg shouldn't have to be even considered to shelter Nurse. He should be eased in on the third pair and playing 14 minutes a night.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Broberg's underlying numbers were actually extremely poor. He and Nurse got their heads kicked in more often than not, they were just riding a PDO heater.

That's not Broberg's fault at all. He's a rookie being asked to play on his off side because Nurse is so shit the idea of him doing it is ridiculous. Broberg shouldn't have to be even considered to shelter Nurse. He should be eased in on the third pair and playing 14 minutes a night.

This is the problem with Nurse though. He makes 9.25m and we need to find someone who covers and compliments all the errors he makes. Its not all doom and gloom but I wish we would won the cup. I hope Nurse and Campbell contracts don’t prevent this team from winning in the future.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If the rumors about the Oilers trying to sign Arvidsson are true I wonder what his cap hit will look like?

I’d also try to move on from Kane and sign Bennett as his replacement.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
If the rumors about the Oilers trying to sign Arvidsson are true I wonder what his cap hit will look like?

I’d also try to move on from Kane and sign Bennett as his replacement.

Sam Bennett? He's still signed for 1 more year. And I highly doubt he will sign here after winning the cup in Florida.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
So the Oilers both don't have a GM and are in such a tight spot, they can't afford much.

So I guess the best we can hope for is...

Re-sign Janmark, $2M over $2yrs

Try to re-sign Brown and Henrique, but they'll get more else where.

Foegele, Perry, Gagner, Desharnais, Stetcher and Pickard all leave due to getting more else where.

Campbell, Ceci and Nurse is unmovable and can't buyout because dead cap=poison forever.

Kane is maybe a trade, but I'm not sure what that looks like if it's even possible.

Maybe promote a couple guys to save money so the team looks like.

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisailt - McLeod
Janmark - 3C - Lavoie
4LW - Pederson - Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci
Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue
Campbell

And hope for the best. Quiet offseason and such.
LOL This is terrible, you think Jackson is going into hibernation? We move Kane in your scenario, and then just don't allocate that money anywhere? Foegeles money doesn't get spent? Ceci and/or Kulak is movable, Campbell is an easy and affordable buyout. Pederson on the roster? Ryan? Come on.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's fair, but this team can't afford it like other teams can. I think they'll just have to make due.
Make due how? By playing him as a backup? By burying him in the minors? If we bury him, we only open up 1.2M in cap space. If we buy him out, we save 3.9, 2.7, 2.4 for the next 3 years. We need that cap space now. Dead cap 4 years from now is bad, but minimal and should be easy enough to work around. It's the price of a bottom line player really.

So the Oilers both don't have a GM and are in such a tight spot, they can't afford much.

Foegele, Perry, Gagner, Desharnais, Stetcher and Pickard all leave due to getting more else where.

Campbell, Ceci and Nurse is unmovable and can't buyout because dead cap=poison forever.

Kane is maybe a trade, but I'm not sure what that looks like if it's even possible.

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Janmark - 3C - Lavoie
4LW - Pederson - Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci
Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue
Campbell

Do you know what a GM does? Mostly manage, and makes calls to other teams about trades. Jeff Jackson can pick up the phone just as easily as Ken Holland can. They have staff members in place to do the rest of the job - the have scouts scouting, they have assistant GM's doing GM work - work isn't stopping, its just the manager/leader isn't there right now, and Jackson is the one doing most of the managers work anyway it seems - like setting the direction of the organization and whatnot. Not having a Ken Holland replacement isn't the end of the world. Nor does it mean we can't sign players or make trades.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is the problem with Nurse though. He makes 9.25m and we need to find someone who covers and compliments all the errors he makes. Its not all doom and gloom but I wish we would won the cup. I hope Nurse and Campbell contracts don’t prevent this team from winning in the future.
In complete honesty, they already have.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Janmark - 3C - Lavoie
4LW - Pederson - Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci
Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue
Campbell

giphy.gif

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If they have a chance to sign DeBrusk for a reasonable amount ($5 mill range) ... I would go hard at that, enough is enough with Draisaitl having no one to play with 5 on 5.

Rather than buying out Campbell I'd consider a deal for him for a goalie that's fed up in another market. Elvis wants out of Columbus bad, that could be a fair change of scenery for both guys. That would give the Oilers one more hyper-athletic style goalie to contrast against Skinner's more static/positional style and then you at least have the option of different styles against different opponents.

I think they will look at trying to add Dylan Strome at some point. Call it Erie Otters nepotism, but I can see it, and he can play.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Really hate these Arvidsson rumours. Old. Injury-prone. That's the kind of guy that comes here and immediately falls completely off the cliff offensively. Seen that movie a thousand times.
He's 31 and had a huge injury last year. He still came back and went close to PPG against us in the playoffs.

Him or Jake Debrusk

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What do you do? Can't make trades, because the combination of immovable players and NTC/NMC,

Can't give guys raises, UFAs require a premium (especially to come to EDM), plus dead cap is just so extra bad, so just hope some kids push upward and you find some deals.

I don't like it either, but what can you do.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
LOL This is terrible, you think Jackson is going into hibernation? We move Kane in your scenario, and then just don't allocate that money anywhere? Foegeles money doesn't get spent? Ceci and/or Kulak is movable, Campbell is an easy and affordable buyout. Pederson on the roster? Ryan? Come on.
If you can even move Kane, you'll take close equal money back, because it's not like you can just trade a guy.

Foegele doesn't make that much, Holloway and Broberg need deals, they'll probably both be in like the $1.5M+ range

No one is hibernating, it's just very hard, with little assets or options, you just have to look to internal improvement.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
What do you do? Can't make trades, because the combination of immovable players and NTC/NMC,

Can't give guys raises, UFAs require a premium (especially to come to EDM), plus dead cap is just so extra bad, so just hope some kids push upward and you find some deals.

I don't like it either, but what can you do.
What do you think a GMs job is? No chance they just fill this team with AHLers.

This team just went to game 7 of the finals. There will be no shortage of UFA interest.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What do you think a GMs job is? No chance they just fill this team with AHLers.

This team just went to game 7 of the finals. There will be no shortage of UFA interest.
I guess, what does this team have to do what with? Like there aren't assets, there aren't players. It's just stuff.

There might be, but also you can just play somewhere where it's warm and get traded at the deadline too.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
They did this last season, hopefully not any more seasons. Darnell needs to wake the f*** up and show some damn pride in his game.
Guy is a lost cause, BBO. He is vastly overpaid, by at least $3.5 million, and is a 10 year+ vet roughly who we are talking about sheltering. SHELTERING HIS MINUTES. FFS. The guy can f*** all the way off, him and his 2 cent brain. He was absolutely caved defensively and was directly culpable in a number of goals where he royally f***ed up defensive assignments, missed retrieving pucks, lost battles, or didn't have an active stick to prevent a pass getting through in a lane. f*** the guy, really.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I cant see Ceci gone. Playoff wise, highest average minutes after Ekholm/Bouchard, second highest minutes on a historically good PK. Had a lot of the coaches trust in game 7. His GA/60 away from Nurse was phenomenal. Its hard to imagine you can get that at RHD on the open market at close to that price.

Same with Kulak. Thought he had a very good playoff, and at that price you do not get much of a savings for an equivalent player.

Edmonton did finish 9th is GA for the season, not sure D/G is that much of an issue.

But adding more secondary scoring ..... Draistl going dry put a major damper and only a couple of great games from McDavid kept them in it. That seems more likely, especially with a number of F being UFA, vs none on the D.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I cant see Ceci gone. Playoff wise, highest average minutes after Ekholm/Bouchard, second highest minutes on a historically good PK. Had a lot of the coaches trust in game 7. His GA/60 away from Nurse was phenomenal. Its hard to imagine you can get that at RHD on the open market at close to that price.

Same with Kulak. Thought he had a very good playoff, and at that price you do not get much of a savings for an equivalent player.

Edmonton did finish 9th is GA for the season, not sure D/G is that much of an issue.

But adding more secondary scoring ..... Draistl going dry put a major damper and only a couple of great games from McDavid kept them in it. That seems more likely, especially with a number of F being UFA, vs none on the D.
Ceci should be gone, he's terrible on a competitive team, but I don't know how you trade him, he's not enough of problem to waste sweeteners on it.

Edmoiler13

Feb 21, 2014
Detroit
curious to if Kane allows himself to be moved with his NMC. All for buying out Campbell or trading him but the buyout seems more likely and less costly on an already depleted farm and draft pick cupboard.

keep Janmark and hopefully one of Henrique and Brown. I don't think they can afford both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad