Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I think it's time that we brought in a standard winger for Draisaitl to play with, like we did with Hyman for McDavid. Drai has gotten some good production out of some pretty average at best players, if we give him and Kane (if he's still here next year) and legitimate top six winger to play with, it makes the team far better than we are right now. If we can bring in a guy like Jake Debrusk, Teuvo Teravainen, or maybe even Tyler Toffoli to play with Draisaitl, I think it helps our core a lot. Same if we can swap out Kane for another winger who might fit better, if we can find a team to take him.

Hyman - McDavid - Nuge
Kane/replacement - Drai - Debrusk/Teravainen/Toffoli/etc
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
McLeod/replacement - 4C upgrade - Holloway

I like your blueline. I hope we can get Vinny for 1.5 or so as our #7 defenseman, but there are so few decent RD out there that I don't know who we can expect to bring in as a 3rd pair guy without having to pay them 2nd pair money.
Said this before but Debrusk would absolutely be open to a 2-year deal with the Oil if the dollars make sense. He'd love to play with the Oil and Drai (not 100% sure the Oil can afford him, though)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You mean Kulak who couldnt control the gap on the GWG.... lmfao
The Kulak who generally plays mistake free hockey, yeah. Or have you forgotten the astonishing amount of goals against this playoffs that Nurse either cause directly or had a massive hand in.

Nurse played 15 more minutes 5v5 over the entire playoffs than Kulak did. Nurse was on ice for 25 goals against 5v5, Kulak 16.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
As much as I think Desharnais had improved in the regular season. He is too slow for playoff hockey and $1.5 mill for a 7th D is far too much.

The scary thing about this is that whispers we were hearing imply we're considering paying him significantly more than that.

Can only hope that Vinny playing his way out of the lineup as the games got harder will smarten somebody up.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So the Oilers both don't have a GM and are in such a tight spot, they can't afford much.

So I guess the best we can hope for is...

Re-sign Janmark, $2M over $2yrs

Try to re-sign Brown and Henrique, but they'll get more else where.

Foegele, Perry, Gagner, Desharnais, Stetcher and Pickard all leave due to getting more else where.

Campbell, Ceci and Nurse is unmovable and can't buyout because dead cap=poison forever.

Kane is maybe a trade, but I'm not sure what that looks like if it's even possible.

Maybe promote a couple guys to save money so the team looks like.

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisailt - McLeod
Janmark - 3C - Lavoie
4LW - Pederson - Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci
Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue
Campbell

And hope for the best. Quiet offseason and such.

• Haha
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The scary thing about this is that whispers we were hearing imply we're considering paying him significantly more than that.

Can only hope that Vinny playing his way out of the lineup as the games got harder will smarten somebody up.
Yep. You can’t go paying a guy who you willingly healthy scratched for both Cody Ceci and a rookie Broberg more than 1/1.25

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The Kulak who generally plays mistake free hockey, yeah. Or have you forgotten the astonishing amount of goals against this playoffs that Nurse either cause directly or had a massive hand in.

Nurse played 15 more minutes 5v5 over the entire playoffs than Kulak did. Nurse was on ice for 25 goals against 5v5, Kulak 16.

And about 80% of them had nothing to do with Nurse.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Probably out: Campbell, Carrick, Ryan, Foegele, Perry, Desharnais, Gagner, Stetcher
Should be out: Ceci, Nurse, Kane (LTIR)

Team needs to get faster and younger and add some scoring punch. Hope they don't f**k up the GM search as bad as they did last time.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think it was also pretty clear that Broberg as a bit in over his head on his off side on the second pairing. I think Kulak has positive trade value but with Broberg ready for NHL time on his natural side, we have a glut of LD. Nurse is also not good enough to carry anyone.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And about 80% of them had nothing to do with Nurse.
If you want to choose to believe that go ahead. I can remember 5 goals off the top of my head that he cause from bad positioning alone banking off him and in. And at least another 5 with either bad reads or sloppy plays leading to goals against.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think it was also pretty clear that Broberg as a bit in over his head on his off side on the second pairing. I think Kulak has positive trade value but with Broberg ready for NHL time on his natural side, we have a glut of RD. Nurse is also not good enough to carry anyone.
If you can turn Kulak and Ceci into a guy that can carry Nurse in second pairing minutes you do it. If Ceci is here next year I don’t even know what to say.

Reactions: Faelko

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It's a shame Nuge has a NMC... because I don't like him on our top line.
I agree. He totally sucked out the offence from McDavid. If you watch Bruce Curlock’s technical breakdowns- Foegele was excellent at sealing the wall and chipping the puck into the middle for the breakout. Took hits to do so. Hopkins either lost every board battle or refused to engage. There’s a reason McDavid went off with Foegele and back to being shut down with Nuge

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I like Kulak, but he's another guy that makes too much money to play strictly in a third pairing even strength only role.

You can replace that player with someone making 1 million if your management group is worth anything at all.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
You don’t even need a big ticket free agent. With how Nurse had played this year, and I say this as a Broberg hater, Broberg and Kulak could fill his minutes.
You say that, but in reality having current Kulak and Broberg (who has looked great and could likely prove it next year) isn't a sure thing.

We've all seen Kulak on the 2nd pair and it's over his head. If sophomore Broberg can prove it next season, then you're looking good. But lets see him get through a full season first. You already need to bring in an impact top 4 guy for the right side and that's going to be tough enough as it is.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I like Kulak, but he's another guy that makes too much money to play strictly in a third pairing even strength only role.

You can replace that player with someone making 1 million if your management group is worth anything at all.
Kulak was one of the best d men in the playoffs for the oilers. Also, he wasn’t third pair- he was being deployed as a top 4 since March.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You say that, but in reality having current Kulak and Broberg (who has looked great and could likely prove it next year) isn't a sure thing.

We've all seen Kulak on the 2nd pair and it's over his head. If sophomore Broberg can prove it next season, then you're looking good. But lets see him get through a full season first. You already need to bring in an impact top 4 guy for the right side and that's going to be tough enough as it is.
Okay and we have seen Nurse in the second pair and it’s abysmal too. If you can get out of Nurses contract without a high cost you do it. Nurse to Kulak is a smaller drop then the boost we can get with 9mill of cap.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
So the Oilers both don't have a GM and are in such a tight spot, they can't afford much.

So I guess the best we can hope for is...

Re-sign Janmark, $2M over $2yrs

Try to re-sign Brown and Henrique, but they'll get more else where.

Foegele, Perry, Gagner, Desharnais, Stetcher and Pickard all leave due to getting more else where.

Campbell, Ceci and Nurse is unmovable and can't buyout because dead cap=poison forever.

Kane is maybe a trade, but I'm not sure what that looks like if it's even possible.

Maybe promote a couple guys to save money so the team looks like.

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisailt - McLeod
Janmark - 3C - Lavoie
4LW - Pederson - Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci
Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue
Campbell

And hope for the best. Quiet offseason and such.
Campbell is getting bought out. We can't go another year with that cap on the books. Nobody is trading for him, if any team has any interest, they'd wait until after the buyout and give him a 1 year minimum "show me" deal. I think there's a good chance he's playing in Europe next year.

Ceci has one year left on his contract and would be movable to a young team needing a veteran D. It won't be a straight cap dump, we'd need to eat some or take back a player, but we could save $1-2M. If Demelo is getting $4.9, someone would take Ceci at $3.25 with some cap back.

Kulak would be tradable without taking cap back.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Campbell is getting bought out. We can't go another year with that cap on the books.
But I've heard that dead cap means poison, so we don't want that, and you can't trade him, so just riding it out for the minimal savings is the only option.

I would like to be creative and what not, but it's too hard and there's too much risk, so you have to status quo.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
This would be my plan...

Current Cap Space - 10m (roughly)
Buyout Campbell - 3.9m freed up
Trade Ceci for a late pick - 3.25m freed up
Cap Space after those transactions - 17.15m

Sign Janmark and Brown for 3 year $4.5m
Henrique - 3 years $12m
Broberg and Holloway - 2m total on 1 year deals

Cap Space after those re-signings - 10.65m

This leaves decisions on Foegele and Desharnais both of whom I'd let walk unless they signed cheap.
So this is the roster with 10.65m left...

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-xxx
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
McLeod-xxx-Holloway (for now)

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-xxx

Skinner
xxx

So that leaves money for a top 6 forward/bottom pairing Dman or 4th line forward/top 4 Dman, backup goalie, 4th line center. 4th liner could be filled internally with the likes of Philp or Lavoie.
The Oilers are in pretty good shape to load up if they choose to.
Just curious if you’re accounting for the bonus payments for Perry and Brown?

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Kulak was one of the best d men in the playoffs for the oilers. Also, he wasn’t third pair- he was being deployed as a top 4 since March.
yet he can't handle top-4 minutes during the regular season. Sell high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $27,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia