Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
My UFAs I bring back are Janmark, Brown, and Desharnais.

I think Desharnais made big strides during the season, people are down on him for the "healthy" scratches, but I heard he was injured and that hampered his puck movement. His playoff analytics weren't bad when he was playing at the level he should be at (the 3rd pair), it was when he was forced to play over his head on the 2nd pair with a struggling Nurse that he got smashed.

I do like Henrique and the responsible 2-way game he brings, but I'm guessing he'll be more expensive then I want to spend and I do think we need to be speedier next season, especially up the middle.

The 2 guys I think we have to get rid of is Campbell as an obvious buy-out or incentivized trade and Ceci, much appreciate the guy for how hard he battled for us, but he is too easily exposed by fast forechecks.

Kulak isn't a must move, but I'd like to open up a spot for Broberg.

Also I'll stick up for McLeod he didn't play well enough these playoffs, but I believe in his ability to continue to grow and improve, the downside is I could see it being 2 years for him to really become the player we need him to be, but regardless there is no need to rush a trade his value will likely improve if we hold on to him for a bit longer.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Absolutely unacceptable to have the Finals end this close to the draft/free agency.
I assure you the management team is up to date on free agency/draft/trade markets.

Kane
McLeod
Ryan
Carrick
Gagner
Perry

Nurse
Ceci
Desharnais

Campbell

These are the players I would like to see us move on from. Perhaps we don't have enough draft picks and prospects to rid ourselves of these guys, but we can sure try. Start with Campbell and Ceci. If our GM can work magic, we look to move Kane/Nurse/McLeod as well. These players have all shown they are not good fits for Stanley Cup hockey due to personality/drive/injury history.

Do not overpay but offer reasonable contracts to:

Janmark
Brown
Henrique
Foegele
Pickard

All of these players bring it in the playoffs and are contributors to the cause. 1-1.5 mil for each max. Maybe they walk but we can't afford to pay more and maybe they'll stay to try and win. We should have earned that title by now, and possibly see some other free agents wanting to come here to win. The idea of McDavid seeking vengeance must be an allure.

Short list of free agents I'd try and go heavy after for playoff success:

Bertuzzi
Guentzel
Marchessault
Arvidsson
Debrusk

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
if Quenneville gets re instated, the oil should go after him, make your current coach an assistant if hed take it.

Rasmus Anderson should be a significant target,(i know hell be costly) ditto for kostim. You need a couple bigger guys upfront, klim is a start.

Out: Foegele, Carrick, Gagner, Perry, ceci,,cambell, ryan, kane-I like him but hes always hurt and now has a serious injury that you never fully recover from.
What... Put the new coach who took the team to game 7 (and hasn’t had a full season to work with the team) on ice?

This place sometimes. The off season will be long even though it will be short.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I assure you the management team is up to date on free agency/draft/trade markets.

Kane
McLeod
Ryan
Carrick
Gagner
Perry

Nurse
Ceci
Desharnais

Campbell

These are the players I would like to see us move on from. Perhaps we don't have enough draft picks and prospects to rid ourselves of these guys, but we can sure try. Start with Campbell and Ceci. If our GM can work magic, we look to move Kane/Nurse/McLeod as well. These players have all shown they are not good fits for Stanley Cup hockey due to personality/drive/injury history.

Do not overpay but offer reasonable contracts to:

Janmark
Brown
Henrique
Foegele
Pickard

All of these players bring it in the playoffs and are contributors to the cause. 1-1.5 mil for each max. Maybe they walk but we can't afford to pay more and maybe they'll stay to try and win. We should have earned that title by now, and possibly see some other free agents wanting to come here to win. The idea of McDavid seeking vengeance must be an allure.

Short list of free agents I'd try and go heavy after for playoff success:

Bertuzzi
Guentzel
Marchessault
Arvidsson
Debrusk

I would add Chandler Stephenson to the short list as well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Kulak had a great playoffs but that one miscue might be the trigger that let's us trade him so Broberg can take the spot. Also Ceci finished strong. Hopefully both have trade value so the future D can be more like

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse- xxxx
Broberg-Desharnais

Besides this move, I'd say keep as much the same as possible

Tough to make too many big decisions until we find out what Leon is doing
I disagree. We have things to do no matter what he decides, and we have him for one year at least

And yes, no matter what he wants we are not trading him

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Picked his spot? Common it was a routine shot that Skinner muffled. It was damn near right in to the crest ffs
Not really that routine a shot. I heard a breakdown of it and it was in one of the toughest spots. Plus if it was so routine how come our top snipers didn't get any clean looks like that?

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I disagree. We have things to do no matter what he decides, and we have him for one year at least

And yes, no matter what he wants we are not trading him
I said big decisions because he could bring a haul
As for your second point, I hope (and actually think) he will sign
But
Under no circumstances should we walk him to free agency. That would make us as bad as the Flames

Last edited:

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Broberg looked really good to me, he was more physical than Nurse in the corners. We Could really have something there, need a better #4 RHD and maybe #6 RHD, not sure I trust Vinny personally.

Need to get rid of nurse somehow, or LTIR the dude because of CTE or something.

I like the thought of Ryan McLeod but he just won't hit, and what is annoying is he will turn into Cogliano somewhere, he's the guy that needs to get traded to figure it out.

Henrique would be a nice player to keep somehow, I think he should be a priority if he's willing to stay for a certain price.

I guess we will see what players stay and take a pay cut to try and run it back.

Reactions: Oilhawks and frag2

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Broberg looked really good to me, he was more physical than Nurse in the corners. We Could really have something there, need a better #4 RHD and maybe #6 RHD, not sure I trust Vinny personally.

Need to get rid of nurse somehow, or LTIR the dude because of CTE or something.

I like the thought of Ryan McLeod but he just won't hit, and what is annoying is he will turn into Cogliano somewhere, he's the guy that needs to get traded to figure it out.

Henrique would be a nice player to keep somehow, I think he should be a priority if he's willing to stay for a certain price.

I guess we will see what players stay and take a pay cut to try and run it back.
Surely Connor Brown owes us a season at actual league min yea?

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
IMO

Out Via Trade: Ceci, Kulak (if we can get a quality RHD to pair with Nurse), Kane (if he's an issue in the room), McLeod (Just not gritty enough)

Out Via Buyout: Campbell

Out Via FA: Desharnais, Foegele, Carrick, Gagner, Perry, Stetcher

UFA's To Hopefully Retain: Henrique, Brown, Janmark, Pickard (if he's around $1 million AAV)

Players To Give a NHL Push To: Holloway, Broberg, Lavoie, maybe Rodrigue

Players to Target Via UFA: Viktor Arvidsson, Jake Debrusk, Sam Lafferty, Dylan Demelo, Chris Tanev, Liam O'Brien

Players to Target Via Trade: Adam Boqvist, Klim Kostin (salary retained),
Sigh me up for both DeBrusk and Arviddson.

I would think about moving on from Kane.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Surely Connor Brown owes us a season at actual league min yea?
You'd hope something like that, but from a business decision I could see a lot of teams interested in him.

Hopefully he wants to run it back. Janmark included.

I'd love to see:

RNH-MCD-Hyman
Holloway-Drai-Kane
Foegele/Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Janmark/Foegele-McLeod-???

Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg?(Get rid of nurse)-???
Kulak-???

Skinner
???

Skid Campbell somehow.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Kulak is who he is, a slightly overpaid 3rd pair D with underwhelming in season numbers and steps up for the playoffs. There would be takers if we want to move him, the question for me is more who do we add to the D group to improve it with the cap savings by moving on from Ceci and Kulak. The answer can't be more kids.

I suspect Broberg will be second pair by the end of next season if not sooner, so Kulak really isn't blocking him on the left side.

One of Nuge, Kane, or Hyman has to be moved before Leon's new contract starts, and likely another before Connor's new deal, unless they can find a taker for Nurse, fat chance. All three have hit career peaks and will be declining a little year over year. Kane will be on LTIR most of the year, maybe a buyout?

We need to get younger, faster and cheaper in the top 6 or we're going to see the same passengers come next postseason, look how Holloway pushed things.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ironically, two of the players that everybody wants to ship out/not re-sign in the offseason were two of their best players late in the series against Florida in Foegele and Ceci. I understand why the Oilers need to move on but those two really stepped up in big moments.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I mean now you're just making things up. We get you're mad and hate Skinner, but don't reinvent reality because of it.
I don't hate Skinner, but he has to many mishaps. I get it he is young. He has shown he can be a #1 but lacks consistency. Defend him all you want that's a brutal goal to lose game 7 on

Reactions: TB12

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Picked his spot? Common it was a routine shot that Skinner muffled. It was damn near right in to the crest ffs
They both played it poorly, but you could see the play unravel the moment Kulak gave Reinhart the blueline.

If Kulak plays that properly we're not having this conversation. On the other hand, Skinner failed to bail a teammate out which is something we see often with him.

The frustrating part is that the Oilers made relatively few outright mistakes but they got punished unbelievably hard on that play. It was the game 7 GWG after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad