GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
something happen already...
1000010166.png

Move out Maata, Holl as well, that’s $$6m right there. I would trade Veleno as well.
Damn. Didn't realize it was that easy. Better call Steve and let him know

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Next year is not a problem, because there's more opening cap space, and almost non-pressure for big RFA raises. We could eat some space there. Not much, but some millions under 5.

And then not have any cap space to make the team better

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I get and respect that. Goalies are voodoo and all that. But Askarov really is the best goalie prospect since Price. Or I guess Vasi. He's as "real deal" as you can get at that position.

I'm thrilled with Cossa and Augustine in the system now, but when you see the guy you always wanted just dangling out there in trade rumors... let me get a little excited.

What separates him from Cossa as a prospect? Honest question because statistically speaking and overall profile, its splitting hairs imo

I think we are all sleeping on Cossa. He's clearly our #1 prospect if you don't count Ed

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Yeah, easier said than done. Maatta is probably easy enough to move, he's got a reasonable deal for just this season, but Holl having another year on his deal is a little sticky. He's far easier to move next year. I didn't mind the Holl deal overall but I always wished it was 2 years instead of 3 for the reason we're feeling right now. I think that's why Walman took some lubrication to move, because of that extra year on the contract.

Teams aren't balking at the cost of them today, it's that they don't know if they want to commit that cap space to a depth guy next year, too.

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Free agency hits tomorrow. You're a day early for the frenzy. Start carbo loading and stretch your keyboard fingers, it's gonna be a wild one for the Wings this year.

I know I know I'm just antsy (somewhat hopeful?), also the whole Trouba trade thing got my hopes up a bit

Reactions: DatsDeking

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
View attachment 890126

You asked me to show you where the csn sign both, I did. You can decide if it’s feasible or not. Personally, I have a hard time believing that Yzerman won’t go big because he’s hung up in what to do with Holl or Maata. I also think Fabbri could be moved, but Maata is easier to move I would think

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Stevie said its "hard to move money right now" but I find it questionable from an outsiders perspective

I saw Goodrow ($3.6x3) get claimed and John Marino ($4.4x3) get traded for two 2nd rounders

Either he needs to try harder or we're not going to be able to get out of these Holl/Maatta/Fabbri/etc contracts

He really handcuffed himself, didn't he?

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
There will be cap space to make the team better.

Do the damn math, instead of just whining against. Quite sure you have no clue about the real numbers.

If we divert 6-7m of cap space to next seasons cap even with a cap increase it does not leave any extra cap space the following season to improve the team. Can you show me the "real number math"?

You asked me to show you where the csn sign both, I did. You can decide if it’s feasible or not. Personally, I have a hard time believing that Yzerman won’t go big because he’s hung up in what to do with Holl or Maata. I also think Fabbri could be moved, but Maata is easier to move I would think

He literally can't move holl. Unless he decides to buy him out when the second buyout window opens were stuck with him.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Stevie said its "hard to move money right now" but I find it questionable from an outsiders perspective

I saw Goodrow ($3.6x3) get claimed and John Marino ($4.4x3) get traded for two 2nd rounders

Either he needs to try harder or we're not going to be able to get out of these Holl/Maatta/Fabbri/etc contracts

He really handcuffed himself, didn't he?
I think most of us were a bit caught off guard on how much he did last summer. Forward wise it was fine but defense wise it was a lot even with a injured Edvinsson. Walman, Maatta, Ghost and Holl all got contracts. Then Traded for Petry.

Excessive.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What separates him from Cossa as a prospect? Honest question because statistically speaking and overall profile, its splitting hairs imo

I think we are all sleeping on Cossa. He's clearly our #1 prospect if you don't count Ed

That's sort of like asking what the difference is between Owen Power (or maybe Luke Hughes) and Edvinsson. They were top prospects at their position, but one came with more pedigree and expectations. How much stock you put into that is up to you, but Askarov was always considered a special prospect at the position and he's done little to dispel that notion.

From a purely eye test evaluation, Askarov is one of the most refined and enjoyable goalies to watch I've ever seen from a prospect. His agility, footwork, everything is just world class. He's great, there's no way around it.

That said, Cossa really looked the part in the AHL last year, so the gap has closed significantly. Cossa plays a more athletic game akin to Luongo and if he's seeing the puck well, there's basically no net for shooters. That's pretty damn appealing in a goalie prospect, too.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
If we divert 6-7m of cap space to next seasons cap even with a cap increase it does not leave any extra cap space the following season to improve the team. Can you show me the "real number math"?

He literally can't move holl. Unless he decides to buy him out when the second buyout window opens were stuck with him.
However you need to do it to create space you do it. My only point is that if they can go big, b they can create the room needed to facilitate. I also think that Kane still being interested in coming back means that he likes what the Wings plan on doing, other teams can offer him the same money, so to me, Kane still engaged means he likes where we are going and what the plan is

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
However you need to do it to create space you do it. My only point is that if they can go big, b they can create the room needed to facilitate. I also think that Kane still being interested in coming back means that he likes what the Wings plan on doing, other teams can offer him the same money, so to me, Kane still engaged means he likes where we are going and what the plan is
Sure I just don't like the idea of recklessly spending with differed bonuses to multiple guys like that. What happens if we get another stagnant cap situation? We'd be setting ourselves up to be a first round exit team for the foreseeable future

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Sure I just don't like the idea of recklessly spending with differed bonuses to multiple guys like that. What happens if we get another stagnant cap situation? We'd be setting ourselves up to be a first round exit team for the foreseeable future
Ok, but we have a lot of contracts rolling off next year as well.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I get and respect that. Goalies are voodoo and all that. But Askarov really is the best goalie prospect since Price. Or I guess Vasi. He's as "real deal" as you can get at that position.

I'm thrilled with Cossa and Augustine in the system now, but when you see the guy you always wanted just dangling out there in trade rumors... let me get a little excited.
Be honest. You just want Detroit to have five goaltenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $27,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00