Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I don't really understand why everyone hates him. This was by far his worst year out of the last four, and he was really good the other three. I get the contract thing, but until this season he's been a physical player with solid metrics and good even strength scoring, has he not? Just feels like everyone thinks he doesn't give a shit, when I don't feel like we've had any indication that he's that type of person or player. I doubt McDavid and Draisaitl would have any time for him if that was the case, and by all accounts they seem to really like him.

I don't ever question his character. My dislike for him is purely based on the contract given and the handcuffs it puts on the team.

Regardless of what people think, there are two elements at play for every player. The player themselves and the contract they have. If he's $6-7M, likely a non issue.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
If you can even move Kane, you'll take close equal money back, because it's not like you can just trade a guy.

Foegele doesn't make that much, Holloway and Broberg need deals, they'll probably both be in like the $1.5M+ range

No one is hibernating, it's just very hard, with little assets or options, you just have to look to internal improvement.
But who did you even replace him with in your scenario? I don't see the 5 million anywhere

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers should be making calls on Patrick Kane. They could really use a winger like that to play with Draisaitl, could throw him out there with Draisaitl and Holloway, and hope for the best with Evander Kane getting healthy. It would be so huge if they could actually get a second line that you don't have to break up when you're down a goal. Lavoie stepping into the NHL and being productive would also be huge.

I think this forward group looks awesome:

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Kane
Holloway - McLeod - Lavoie
Brown - xxx - Janmark

I don't think Henrique is the guy that I would sign for the third line centre spot, he just doesn't have the wheels.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Much of, maybe all of my anxiety from the NEED to win a Cup has stemmed from not wanting to lose McDavid and Draisaitl.

Cups or not, the regular seasons and playoffs we’ve had with these two studs has been fun. They’ve made it fun to be an Oilers fan again, they make me proud of the team we have. I want nothing but to see these two become legends in this city and be loved for all time.

If Frank’s right and they are staying. Takes a lot of sting out of Cup loss. Logically thinking about it, there’s way more reasons for them to stay than to leave, so I’m on board with what Frank’s selling.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Oh yeah... Skinner.

No thanks. I've never seen a goalie give up so many goals on the first 5 shots of a game. I swear his sv% is .600 on shots 1 through 5 throughout the regular season and playoffs.

I think the Oilers would be a much better team in front of a more reliable goalie.
lol are you kidding? hes one of the reasons it went to 7 games this series. Losing him would be foolish. Who do you replace him with? reminder Ullmark gone.

Lannes

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱
May 5, 2024
Feels like Nurse has been declining ever since the Canadian division in the covid year. I doubt he’s overly injured. I think he just got money bag and is complacent. He always had some warts but we don’t even see his strengths anymore.

Yeah, I'm not sure what kind of injury causes you to wheel around your own net and toss a backhand into two Panthers, then keep skating up ice as they deke out and score on your goaltender like 25 did a few games ago.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yes the great Steve Yzerman. Generational GM. Love those Chiarot, Holl, Copp etc deals.

Yeah, the Yzerplan is on year 5 of 10 or something. As bad as Holland was, Chiarelli left this team in a worse spot. He gets too much credit for his (incomplete) work in Tampa. One of the most overrated GMs in the NHL

Reactions: TB12 and Faelko

popo

Aug 9, 2005
Nurse to San Jose for Kostin.
I would make that trade based on how bad Nurse was in the playoffs, and how promising Broberg looked.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I don't really understand why everyone hates him. This was by far his worst year out of the last four, and he was really good the other three. I get the contract thing, but until this season he's been a physical player with solid metrics and good even strength scoring, has he not? Just feels like everyone thinks he doesn't give a shit, when I don't feel like we've had any indication that he's that type of person or player. I doubt McDavid and Draisaitl would have any time for him if that was the case, and by all accounts they seem to really like him.
At 5-on-5, his 5-on-5 goal differential at even-strength in key playoff series the last three years:

2022 vs Colorado: 3 GF-9 GA (-6, worst on the team)
2023 vs Vegas: 2 GF- 7GA (-5, second worst on the team. Worst was Ceci at 1-8)
2024 vs Vancouver: 3 GF- 10 GA (-7, worst on the team by a wide margin)
2024 vs Dallas: 3 GF- 7 GA (-4, second worst on the team)

Funnily enough, he was 5-4 against Florida, which is probably the best series he's played the last three years.

I don't hate Darnell. On a personal level, I actually quite like him. But I do feel like he is a player that good teams have exposed the last few years. He really struggles to make decisions with the puck quickly, and there are long stretches where we're pinned in our zone while he's on the ice. Pre-Ekholm, Nurse got a lot of tough matchups, but also played with McDavid more. That helped alleviate some of the pressure, because McDavid is the best transition player in the league (arguably in the history of the game). Since the Ekholm addition, Nurse is playing more second and third line opposition, but he's also playing less with McDavid. He fairs well against weaker teams, but against stronger teams with solid second and third lines, he has been exposed. In a cap world, a $9.25 million defenceman on your second pairing should be a luxury that helps you dominate the middle six minutes. Yet the last few years, the middle six at even strength has been an area that opposing teams try to dominate us. Nurse has been a big part of that, and we're now talking about how we find a partner to insulate him. In the short term, his contract is manageable because of Bouchard's value. In another year, Bouchard is probably making 10, and we've got a real problem affording both.

Again, I don't hate Nurse, I just think his performance relative to contract is a pretty obvious impediment. If he were playing in Vegas, McCrimmon would be jumping through hoops to try and get out from under that contract. If the Oilers are able to make that move, it will be huge for our ability to remain competitive.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
If you can turn Kulak and Ceci into a guy that can carry Nurse in second pairing minutes you do it. If Ceci is here next year I don’t even know what to say.

Well, Orr is likely too old. Lidstrom has said he has no interest in coming back. Pronger is done with Edmonton. Bourque seems gassed.

I think that covers the D men that can carry Nurse ..... None available.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
JFC, it’s like the offseason is in full blown mode already. So many trades and signings. I’m stilling licking my wounds here, can’t even begin to think about the Oilers offseason.

Reactions: Oilers88

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
JFC, it’s like the offseason is in full blown mode already. So many trades and signings. I’m stilling licking my wounds here, can’t even begin to think about the Oilers offseason.

I just hope we were already discussing deals while we were in the Playoffs so we don't miss out on a few.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
This team can't runback 3C with Ryan McLeod.

Watching the Engine Line of Janmark, Henrique, Brown reinforces how critical third line centre and a veteran bottom six line is to playoff success. I'm not overly confident Henrique will be back but they need to solidify the 3C spot.

100%

I was a big fan of Clouder (I even have a signed puck…lol) but he’s gotta go. Arguably the biggest passenger in the playoffs and far too soft to be a bottom 6C. He had that one stretch of playing with grit during the winning streak and went back to perimeter play. Not skilled enough to be a finesse player either.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I just hope we were already discussing deals while we were in the Playoffs so we don't miss out on a few.
Yeh hopefully... but it's hard to even know what to look for without knowing if your team had "it" or didn't.

Nurse will remain unmoveable, but i do think if there was any way, that would be the biggest possible upgrade we could make moving forward.

Ceci remains mostly what he was. But i do think he eventually came around in these playoffs and became a slight net positive. That said, we can do better.

Broberg Kulak swap seems like it will need to be done just for cap reasons. But i'd hate to lose Kulak.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Oilers should be making calls on Patrick Kane. They could really use a winger like that to play with Draisaitl, could throw him out there with Draisaitl and Holloway, and hope for the best with Evander Kane getting healthy. It would be so huge if they could actually get a second line that you don't have to break up when you're down a goal. Lavoie stepping into the NHL and being productive would also be huge.

I think this forward group looks awesome:

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Kane
Holloway - McLeod - Lavoie
Brown - xxx - Janmark

I don't think Henrique is the guy that I would sign for the third line centre spot, he just doesn't have the wheels.

Adding Kane and Toews would be spicy.

Though for me the best fit I see is Ceci traded for a big but overpriced defensive centre, and Henrique plus the entire 3rd line re-signed.

Holloway-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Kane
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
McLeod-Sturm/Faska-Lavoie

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-Vinny

Skinner
Pickard

Where Henrique, (or McLeod and Lavoie) can rotate into the top 6 for Holloway if he goes cold.
Same with Kulak, who can jump in for Broberg if he hits a wall in the top 4.

If Henrique jumps up to the top 6, I'm happy running a bottom 6 of...

Janmark-Sturm/Faska-Brown
Holloway-McLeod-Lavoie

We saw their coming out party in the playoffs, and I think it's time to give the kids a little rope to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad