Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I know some guys on here were pretty keen on Desharnais and even wanted to offer him an 8 year deal to keep him, since they assumed he would be a hot commodity at free agency. I'm not sure he's a piece we need going forward. His value got inflated by some success we had on the PK, but it seemed our PK continued being outstanding and arguably even better without him. For me, his lack of skating ability and complete inability to generate anything offensively should be enough to move. Great story, great guy, but time to move on, IMO.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There's rumours that the Devils might trade Marino before his NTC kicks in because they're hard after Pesce.

Send McLeod and something their way for him.

He gets a chance at redemption here at #2RD and the Devils can make some money selling their stockpile of useless McLeod jerseys.
Marino would be an amazing fit. Correct a wrong.

Reactions: Kirby

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I know some guys on here were pretty keen on Desharnais and even wanted to offer him an 8 year deal to keep him, since they assumed he would be a hot commodity at free agency. I'm not sure he's a piece we need going forward. His value got inflated by some success we had on the PK, but it seemed our PK continued being outstanding and arguably even better without him. For me, his lack of skating ability and complete inability to generate anything offensively should be enough to move. Great story, great guy, but time to move on, IMO.
The more concerning item for the PK is that 3/4 of the key forwards (and the entire 3rd line) can walk as UFAs on Monday.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The last 2 series showed us how important puck moving is from the blueline. We are stuck with Nurse, we can't afford to have 2 bad puck movers on our D if we are to try and win the cup again next year and beyond. Target Boqvist, Coffey and Ekholm could work wonders with him.

Reactions: frag2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The last 2 series showed us how important puck moving is from the blueline. We are stuck with Nurse, we can't afford to have 2 bad puck movers on our D if we are to try and win the cup again next year and beyond. Target Boqvist, Coffey and Ekholm could work wonders with him.
I never considered Boqvist to be much of a puck mover. And he hasn’t played even close to a full season since he was drafted.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
If you're resigned to the fact that the likes of Nurse and Kane aren't going anywhere, I'd think it would be prudent to get 2 out of the 3 of the 3rd line signed -- Janmark and Brown would be my targets. I think Henrique goes back to California.

Beyond that it becomes just basic tinkering, yet again. They have to do something with Campbell, and still manage to bring in a proper winger for Draisaitl.. if he stays. Also need to address the backend issues and goaltending if Pickard walks (I think he is the perfect backup but he needs to be trusted with more ice time). The bottom line is the top 6, regardless of injury, did not produce in the biggest game. They were simply not good enough.

Just another monumental task for whatever GM comes in (or Jackson, if he's just going to install a puppet GM and control strings anyways.. may as well just announce himself).

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
There's rumours that the Devils might trade Marino before his NTC kicks in because they're hard after Pesce.

He gets a chance at redemption here at #2RD and the Devils can make some money selling their stockpile of useless McLeod jerseys.
8 team no-trade contract. How many Canadian teams are there??

Decent thought. Not sure how durable he would be in playoff hockey. But good second pair type that could fit the Oil upgrade need. Not sure he's a cap dump for a bottom six versus say selling to Utah for picks or cheap prospect types.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Could be a worthwhile risk. I'd be up for it. Good puck mover and skater to play with Nurse? Pretty good underlying numbers I believe.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He didn't want to come here in the first place, not sure he'd want to come back again. Seems like a guy that wants to play in the U.S.
Circumstances change. IIRC the issue for Marino was that it looked like his path might be blocked to the NHL by, at the time, higher ranked prospects like Bear, Jones, Samorukov, Bouchard and Broberg.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Perhaps, and then we keep Ceci. I might be fine with that. Honestly I don't think Vinny was an issue on the PK. I also think the only reason he was out was because of the logjam on LD and the need to change things against a clean, mobile team like Dallas

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It really depends on the price. He's a 3rd pair D-man with 3rd pair D-man skills and should be paid like one. That said, as a 3rd pair D-man I think he brings a ton of value. He's bastard to play against, he's completely solid in his end, he takes up alot of space back there and fits the "build with trees" strategy that seems needed for playoffs defence.

There's some puck moving ability as well. His deficiencies in that area only really showed up in the Dallas series in terms of hurting us. But he was moving pucks okay throughout the year. He doesn't have a shot but he's smart at getting pucks to the net for some hope and pray chances.

We could do alot worse at 3RD and have in the past. Hopefully a fair contract for both sides can be reached.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It really depends on the price. He's a 3rd pair D-man with 3rd pair D-man skills and should be paid like one. That said, as a 3rd pair D-man I think he brings a ton of value. He's bastard to play against, he's completely solid in his end, he takes up alot of space back there and fits the "build with trees" strategy that seems needed for playoffs defence.

There's some puck moving ability as well. His deficiencies in that area only really showed up in the Dallas series in terms of hurting us. But he was moving pucks okay throughout the year. He doesn't have a shot but he's smart at getting pucks to the net for some hope and pray chances.

We could do alot worse at 3RD and have in the past. Hopefully a fair contract for both sides can be reached.
I'd be fine bringing VD back at ~$1M. Anything more than that and I'd walk away. Just as soon sign a guy like Stetcher for the same amount.

Reactions: Faelko

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'd be fine bringing VD back at ~$1M. Anything more than that and I'd walk away. Just as soon sign a guy like Stetcher for the same amount.
I can't see Stetcher being better than him at the same price. Maybe in puck moving and speed, but I'm pretty sure we'd see much more mistakes out of Stetcher over a year of a play than Vinny. If there's another 1M guy out there that would be better than Vinny, I'm all ears though, but just seeing some of the bums we've had at 3RD over the years I highly doubt theres many out there.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Perhaps, and then we keep Ceci. I might be fine with that. Honestly I don't think Vinny was an issue on the PK. I also think the only reason he was out was because of the logjam on LD and the need to change things against a clean, mobile team like Dallas
I never said he was an issue on the PK, only that it didn't miss a beat without him and arguably got even better. Love the guy, but I think we can improve there.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I can't see Stetcher being better than him at the same price. Maybe in puck moving and speed, but I'm pretty sure we'd see much more mistakes out of Stetcher over a year of a play than Vinny. If there's another 1M guy out there that would be better than Vinny, I'm all ears though, but just seeing some of the bums we've had at 3RD over the years I highly doubt theres many out there.
Point being he's a 3rd pair RHD and need to be paid accordingly. There's no room to be signing him for ~$2M or whatever he might get elsewhere.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Boqvist is a very bad puck mover. He's great in the Ozone and has an excellent shot, but his defensive game and transition skills are abysmal.

Edit: My god my grammar was atrocious, I think I need sleep, gn everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad