Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
What do you guys think happens with the backup spot? Do they bring back Pickard? Are we okay with that? Whoever they use needs to be good for 30 games minimum, imo. Or do they keep Pickard and look to upgrade on Stu? Look to bring in two different guys? I'm obviously a fan of Stu, but that doesn't mean anything. Curious what you guys think.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Sorry but this is complete rubbish and you should know better but this appears to be a case of extreme bias against a player. The guy was 11-0 with a .940 save pct. in Games 4-7 in the playoffs yet you say "arguably the teams weakest link all playoffs long". Just so completely off the mark and far from reality that it's painful to read, I can't believe that you ACTUALLY believe this.
Yeah it's pretty insufferable lol.

What do you guys think happens with the backup spot? Do they bring back Pickard? Are we okay with that? Whoever they use needs to be good for 30 games minimum, imo. Or do they keep Pickard and look to upgrade on Stu? Look to bring in two different guys? I'm obviously a fan of Stu, but that doesn't mean anything. Curious what you guys think.
The team really like Picks and he was more than adequate in his minutes, I'll be curious to see what they do.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Yeah it's pretty insufferable lol.

The team really like Picks and he was more than adequate in his minutes, I'll be curious to see what they do.
He made a fan of me this year. I'd like to see him get more games if that's the case. If he can handle it, let him push Stu as far as he can. If he falls apart, I guess Rodrigue could be an option?

I'd really like to see the starters load reduced. Not many guys can handle playing 70% of the season and maintaining it through the playoffs.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
At the end of the day regular season is fine and dandy but playoffs are where it matters. Vinny is 28 he isn’t going to change much and he can’t handle speed or aggressive systems in the playoffs.

Just like McLeod. They can be good or fine players in the regular season but when the going gets tough they get forced down the lineup and not because others are playing super well.

Janmark is the opposite. He is a guy who looks fine in the regular season but shows up when it matters. We need guys like that.

If you are going to overpay, overpay for a playoff performer.
Meh he had like one shift where he couldn’t bank pass one pass Benn. Struggled with speed and puck movement. But I don’t think you can say he can’t handle it all.

Mcleod really came around at the end. Wonder if he’s still in the learning phase.

Janny was a complete surprise. How do we find these guys? Even when he had him we didn’t know what we had.

Sorry but this is complete rubbish and you should know better but this appears to be a case of extreme bias against a player. The guy was 11-0 with a .940 save pct. in Games 4-7 in the playoffs (these are all time legendary numbers) before last night and only let in 2 last night even though, yes, the Reinhart one could have been stopped yet you say "arguably the teams weakest link all playoffs long". Just so completely off the mark and far from reality that it's painful to read, I can't believe that you ACTUALLY believe this.
Yeh he makes no sense. He just decided early on that Skinner was shit so he’s gonna stick to that and manipulate the stats so he can continue being “right” about skinner even though Skinner proved to be a good enough goalie one goal away from a Cup.

Picks was fine. And he’ll be cheap. And we still have a top heavy team that will only get more top heavy with extensions to the big dogs. We will need to continue having cheap cap elsewhere on the roster. And that likely continues with goaltending.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Let me get this straight. You think Knoblauch of all people is the issue?
No i didnt say that, read whats typed. Smart people don't assume things as its like guessing. I never said hes the issue, re-read the post. I said if Quenneville gets re instated they should make a move for him, my reasoning is, yes the current coach did a good job, but if you have the opportunity to add perhaps the best coach in the league then you have improved the team and its worth doing. This explanation is crystal clear. I'm not saying it will happen, but it would strengthen the team. The rest of the moves i mentioned are reasonable and in line with much of the thinking here. No need to put words in my mouth, think I'm dumb for it, and start flaming the post.

• Haha
Reactions: Balakay14

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I can’t believe it’s 2024 and we are still posting “as per Garfield” rumours
I think this must confirm that Garfield is either Katz's son or Dustin Schwartz. Only guys around outside Lowe and Katz that have survived enough years.

Oh, or the third option, that it's literally Garfield.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Other than the Vancouver series, nothing here reinforces any point of him being bad. You point out his responsibility in one loss in Dallas, yet ignore the fact that he was very good in games 5 and 6, and stood on his head in game 7.
You only get 3 losses in a series. It’s not acceptable to have your goalie cost at minimum one per.

You people would complain if we had Shesterkin in net. Yes he struggled to start the series against Van
If the Oilers had Shesterkin in net we’d be back to back cup winners. Don’t get me that nonsense.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Reading this thread I think people are vastly underestimating the impact of Henrique's IQ. That third line made the series close. If we are trying to win, the 3rd line was one of the main reasons we were winning. If the new GM doesn't focus on reuniting this line they made a big mistake imo

Also, if there is no options, it's time to buy-out Darnell Nurse. I feel better about paying 1.5 in dead cap space for 30 years than the chances of Nurse turning it around next season. Broberg needs play top 4 LD, and we need immediate cap space to plug holes.

As gross as it is, buying out both Campbell and Nurse makes us a better team next season. We have to go all in next year

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If that was your assessment of Skinner then Bobrovsky was an AhL goalie the last half of this series and Florida should walk away from him.

Everything you said regarding Skinner can be said fornthe goalies we faved in the playiffs plus. He was better tha Ottingervand was better than Bobrovsky 4 or 5 of the 7 games
I beg you to tell me which of the 4 or 5 games Skinner was better than Bobrovsky in the series lmao.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You only get 3 losses in a series. It’s not acceptable to have your goalie cost at minimum one per.

If the Oilers had Shesterkin in net we’d be back to back cup winners. Don’t get me that nonsense.
Even Shesterkin had bad games, 5 starts under .900. Bob had plenty of bad games too, 10 games under .900, 3 in the finals. So I don’t think you need perfect goaltending through an entire playoff run to win a Cup. Probably why the Oilers were 1 goal away from just that with Skinner in net.

I beg you to tell me which of the 4 or 5 games Skinner was better than Bobrovsky in the series lmao.
He was better in 3 games. The 10M goalie was better in 4. We got better value out of our goaltending.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Reading this thread I think people are vastly underestimating the impact of Henrique's IQ. That third line made the series close. If we are trying to win, the 3rd line was one of the main reasons we were winning. If the new GM doesn't focus on reuniting this line they made a big mistake imo

Also, if there is no options, it's time to buy-out Darnell Nurse. I feel better about paying 1.5 in dead cap space for 30 years than the chances of Nurse turning it around next season. Broberg needs play top 4 LD, and we need immediate cap space to plug holes.

As gross as it is, buying out both Campbell and Nurse makes us a better team next season. We have to go all in next year
They needed a checking 4th line badly to hold the puck in the oppositions zone. Matt Martin and Clutterbuck are free agents. But they aren't leaving the islanders and old.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sorry but this is complete rubbish and you should know better but this appears to be a case of extreme bias against a player. The guy was 11-0 with a .940 save pct. in Games 4-7 in the playoffs (these are all time legendary numbers) before last night and only let in 2 last night even though, yes, the Reinhart one could have been stopped yet you say "arguably the teams weakest link all playoffs long". Just so completely off the mark and far from reality that it's painful to read, I can't believe that you ACTUALLY believe this.

Someone should tell Florida the first 3 games of the series don’t count.

I can’t believe people are arguing with a straight face that a goalie who barely manager to put up a .900 sv% was good enough.

It’s been 25+ years since a team won a cup with a starting goalie with a save percentage as low as Skinners was this year.

Give your head a shake and stop being such a homer.

Reactions: iCanada

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

You can't buyout Nurse, the cap hit would be as follows, starting with 24/25 season of course, and everything in $M: -1.2, 0.7, 8.7, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5

So for 26/27 through 29/30, you are basically paying his full cap hit. You only save money for the first two years. Its 100% not worth it.

We either need to somehow trade him, which is exceptionally unlikely. Or we have to pray he somehow figures things out a bit more after 9 years in the league, lol. Yes, I realize that isn't about to happen either.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You can't buyout Nurse, the cap hit would be as follows, starting with 24/25 season of course, and everything in $M: -1.2, 0.7, 8.7, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5

So for 26/27 through 29/30, you are basically paying his full cap hit. You only save money for the first two years. Its 100% not worth it.

We either need to somehow trade him, which is exceptionally unlikely. Or we have to pray he somehow figures things out a bit more after 9 years in the league, lol. Yes, I realize that isn't about to happen either.
Yeh i just looked at that. the 4 years at 8.7-9.5 kills that idea.

Here's another idea. Just accept that he is what he is. Reduce his minutes to 3rd pair, see what Broberg can do as a 2nd pair. And yeh then hope and pray Nurse can find another level. I doubt it too, but I think alot of it has to do with confidence. I have no doubt Nurse puts in immense work to be a physical beast that he is, maybe it's time to invest some time in the mental game.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If we sign Pickard we might lose him to waivers if Rodrigue gets his shot. We might lose Rodrigue to waivers if he doesn't get his shot and is sent down. You have to play that game if you want to test both in preseason.

It also depends what the other clubs do when waiving goaltenders. Sometimes timing is everything. I've said it a hundred times before. If you waive a player early he clears almost 100% of the time. When you wait until the day before opening night you risk losing a player to waivers.

In the end we are at the mercy of management, coaches and pro-scouting. If they make the decisions we'll be fine. If they f*** up the club might have another hole to fill before the season is underway.
I beg you to tell me in which games the teams in front of the goaltenders played better defense.

When the Oilers play good defense Skinner looks pretty good. The same can be said about Bobrovsky when the team playing in front of him is locked into their system.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I beg you to tell me in which games the the teams in front of the goaltenders played better defense.

When the Oilers play good defense Skinner looks pretty good. The same can be said about Bobrovsky when the team playing in front of him is locked into their system.

Oilers played better defense in 6 of the 7 games including last night.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I can’t believe people are arguing with a straight face that a goalie who barely manager to put up a .900 sv% was good enough.

It’s been 25+ years since a team won a cup with a starting goalie with a save percentage as low as Skinners was this year.

The first 2 games of the Florida series, the Oilers scored 1 goal (ONE in Two games) yet that's Skinner's fault somehow? Game 3 he couldn't make a big save so, yeah, that was a frustrating one.
Anyway, you literally said that Skinner was below average the entire playoffs, the weak link the entire playoffs. I posted numbers of a 12 game sample size in which he was darn near unbeatable - 11-1 with roughly a .940 save pct. in Games 4-7 yet you completely ignored that.
Yes Skinner had bad games particularly early in the playoffs but he was sensational late in series in crunch time.

Besides those stellar numbers I posted, I can isolate games which he was arguably the Oilers best player.
Game 4 against the Kings when the entire team no showed (pretty pivotal game, no?) then shut down the Kings in Game 5,
Held the fort in Game 6 and 7 when the Canucks made pushes,
Game 6 against Dallas when the entire team went into a shell and Skinner saved their bacon,
Game 4 against Florida when the Panthers came out strong and made a very notable huge save against Verhaege when it was 1-1 and the Oilers were on the verge of collapse,
Game 5 against the Panthers when the Panthers were overwhelming the Oilers in the second half of the game,
Game 6 with 1 goal let in and even in Game 7 when the Panthers made plenty of pushes he held them to 2 goals (maybe score more than 1 goal?).

See, I can admit that Skinner had bad games (the beginning of the Canucks and Kings series there were some terrible games by Skinner) but you refuse to acknowledge any good he did which was a lot of good as I pointed out.
I'm not being a homer because I'm providing specific examples of when he was very good but you're acting like a hater or just being stubborn because you can't admit that maybe, just maybe, Skinner did some good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faelko

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You literally said that Skinner was below average the entire playoffs, the weak link the entire playoffs. I posted numbers of a 12 game sample size in which he was darn near unbeatable - 11-1 with roughly a .940 save pct. in Games 4-7 yet you completely ignored that.
Yes Skinner had bad games particularly early in the playoffs but he was sensational late in series in crunch time.

Besides those stellar numbers I posted, I can isolate games which he was arguably the Oilers best player. Game 4 against the Kings when the entire team no showed (pretty pivotal game, no?) then shut down the Kings in Game 5, held the fort in Game 6 and 7 when the Canucks made pushes, Game 6 against Dallas when the entire team went into a shell and Skinner saved their bacon, Game 4 against Florida when the Panthers came out strong and made a very notable huge save against Verhage when it was 1-1 and the Oilers were on the verge of collapse, Game 5 against the Panthers when the Panthers were overwhelming the Oilers in the second half of the game, Game 6 with 1 goal let in and even in Game 7 when the Panthers made plenty of pushes he held them to 2 goals (maybe score more than 1 goal?).

See, I can admit that Skinner had bad games (the beginning of the Canucks and Kings series there were some terrible games by Skinner) but you refuse to acknowledge any good he did which was a lot of good as I pointed out.
I'm not being a homer because I'm providing specific examples of when he was very good but you're acting like a hater or just being stubborn because you can't admit that maybe, just maybe, Skinner did some good.

No, I don’t refuse to give him credit for good games. I’m taking into account his entire playoffs.

.901 save percentage from a starter hasn’t won a cup since the 1980s. Newsflash, games 1-3 are just as important as games 4-7.

You have to know you’re grasping at straws when you’re trying to argue that Skinner had anything to do with an 8-1 win in game 4.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

In the very least I think I believe in Skinner much more now than I did before - partially because I think it's much more likely that by the time we're in the playoffs next year he's improved to the point where he's maybe more consistent.

But this year was very much so below par for the majority of the run, although I think it ultimately improved.

I'm still a little sour about the cup GWG. I feel like your goaltender really ought to have that most of the time. Just an uncontested muffin from out past the circles. Idk. I thought our D played the passing lanes and allowed the shot and tbh I think that's the correct play.

Ah well.

I do think Skinner with a budget 1B or strong 2A is doable for sure though. If he keeps improving just him alone is likely good enough - we were one goal away as it was with him.

And I say that as basically his biggest critic.

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops

I'd give Olivier Rodrigue a long look.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No, I don’t refuse to give him credit for good games. I’m taking into account his entire playoffs.

.901 save percentage from a starter hasn’t won a cup since the 1980s. Newsflash, games 1-3 are just as important as games 4-7.

You have to know you’re grasping at straws when you’re trying to argue that Skinner had anything to do with an 8-1 win in game 4.
Ok, so you chose to argue dishonestly and ignore the post that I took a lot of time to type out. I thought you were better than this, guess not.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

Can you show me some goalies who didn't have 2 or 3 bad games during the playoffs?

Hellebuyck was brutal.

Oettinger had some less than pedestrian games against Edmonton and Colorado.

Ullmark and Swayman gave away games 1 and 2 against Florida.

Sorokin completely lost the net.

Saros was completely outduelled by Silovs, and was absolutely brutal in games 4 and 5.

Georgiev gave away games.

Anderson couldn't hold the fort for Carolina.

Bobrovsky turned into a pumpkin after game 3, very similar to him falling apart in the Finals last year.

Other than like Shesty, and I'll even give Bobo credit despite the above, pretty much every goalie had terrible games throughout the post season.

I'm in no way saying Stu wasn't a huge problem to start. He looked like he was going to wilt away into the void. But he came back to finish round 2 strong. He was strong against Dallas and outduelled Oettinger. He was strong against Florida and arguably outduelled Bobo.

He stole some games along the way, and was absolutely clutch in the back half of every series, in the most important games.

You literally have one guy in Shesty, who was completely lights out all the way through. Don't give me that nonsense about needing a 9 or 10 million dollar goalie to win the cup

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ok, so you chose to argue dishonestly and ignore the post that I took a lot of time to type out. I thought you were better than this, guess not.
I’m not arguing dishonestly and I’m not ignoring your post. I just don’t think your argument is any good and it ignores the totality of Skinners performance in these playoffs.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

And teams don’t comeback 3-0 in the SCFs since the 1940s but it happened. We were ONE game away with Stu backstopping this Cup Run. One game. And in a series where his save percentage and GAA was better than the other goalie. And it was also better than the other goalie in series prior.

You keep fixating on that one stat from the 1980s and think it means everything. Nah. How bout watch the games, know how the wins and losses happen, how all the goals happened, know the timeliness of the save. Put some brain power into and figure out what actually happened.

Maybe then you will have believed like Connor and the whole team did that they could win with Stu in net.

Reactions: Faelko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad