Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
When Jackson came in he spoke at length about how much he valued Ken Hollands experience and relationships around the league. I think he would of been open to Holland staying on in the GM role in a well defined capacity but I get the feeling Holland was a bit blindsided by the Jackson hiring and wasn’t willing to essentially be in a position that’s going to be more managerial then decision maker. As I mentioned earlier it’s clear that Jackson and the team he’s put together is going to be driving a lot of the development and roster building decisions and the GM will be tasked with the day to day of hockey ops and making the moves the overarching plan lays out.

I agree with you about the type of GM he wants to hire and I can see your point about how a younger GM would see this opportunity but the flip side of the coin is that this team is right in the middle of its cup window and it’s a risk hiring someone to the GM chair who has little or no experience managing at this level and who doesn’t have the relationships and credibility within the tight knit NHL executives circle. Thats why I suggested I could see a situation where he hires an experienced manager who understands what they need out of him and is ok following the plan laid out but also Jackson would bring in his guy who closely aligns with his strategic vision and who he feels is a smart, up and coming hockey mind but needs time to gain the type of experience and credibility he would gain from working with someone who has been doing it for decades.
Jackson continues to speak highly of working with Holland collaboratively and learning from him. I agree that Holland might have been blindsided by Jackson's hiring but really speculation of Katz's interventionist ownership goes back to the Yakupov/Murray draft day decision.

Jackson's a consummate professional, trained, experienced and skilled negotiator so I don't doubt that he co-existed respectfully with Holland (and vice versa in Holland's reputation).

I don't see him hiring a traditional, hockey establishment guy but rather as he speaks to it someone with NHL experience, winning pedigree, working with star players. Most importantly I think alignment with Jackson's modern vision for organizational success - player development; information/analytic based decision making; calculated risk taking and faster decision making; sports science, innovative practices, etc. As well as a growth mindset with ability to grow in the job versus fully formed.

The Washington Capital's recent promotion is a decent example and timing of their announcement happening while Jackson's in active search mode might not be coincidental: Patrick named Capitals general manager, MacLellan remains president of hockey operations | NHL.com.

Regarding age, I think Patrick also gives some realistic benchmark in that he's age 48 and a guy like Matthew Darche is age 47. Jason Botterill is 48. All three examples of 'younger', progressive hockey management types. Not necessarily 'young' per se.

All CEO's are going to hire people that share a similar vision and philosophies so that's a given. I think one element we might expect watching this off-season is consensus building and trust in functional management leaders. I think that's how a new manager will fit and lead with Jackson's strategic roadmap.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
The extent of Hunter’s NHL executive experience consists of being a co-interim GM of a failure of a Leafs team, then being passed over by both Lamiorello and then Dubas.

Jackson wants someone with NHL experience and mentioned specifically looking at assistant GMs from a winning organization.

Did he say this specifically? This rules out Bowman and Hunter and probably means we're looking at Stan Darche or the LA guy from the 2010s

Reactions: McTonyBrar

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The extent of Hunter’s NHL executive experience consists of being a co-interim GM of a failure of a Leafs team, then being passed over by both Lamiorello and then Dubas.

Jackson wants someone with NHL experience and mentioned specifically looking at assistant GMs from a winning organization.
In context remember that he’s a former NHL player, assistant NHL GM , a current major jr GM and has a hell of an eye for talent identification. He has chops.

We had GMKH with his SC pedigree and I was ok with that. I also said in another thread I can get past Bowman’s Chicago time given that he has done a lot of introspection and growth as a result of what happened according to others. That said, this org doesn’t need a GM with Stanley cup,winning pedigree. McCrimmon didn’t have it, Zito didn’t get any in his time with CBJ and they have been able to put together a winner. I wouldn’t toss Hunter aside because he was in that cesspool of an organization, Toronto, neither. That’s a non issue. That’s an org thing there, Hunter doesn’t wear that stink.

BBC....briing back Chia
Get outa the sun, man. You’ve got severe heatstroke.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
There’s a couple posters here that refute this . I say ok, you keep using Safari I will use Brave and we will all be happy….for different reasons.
I use Brave on my gaming PC for when I need to go on the internet to look up mods are what not and its great, but I use safari on my Mac and with an adblocker I have no real issues with it. Without wadding into the browser wars I can say that Brave is good but apart from my gaming PC I have no immediate need to change my browser on my Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
In context remember that he’s a former NHL player, assistant NHL GM , a current major jr GM and has a hell of an eye for talent identification. He has chops.

We had GMKH with his SC pedigree and I was ok with that. I also said in another thread I can get past Bowman’s Chicago time given that he has done a lot of introspection and growth as a result of what happened according to others. That said, this org doesn’t need a GM with Stanley cup,winning pedigree. McCrimmon didn’t have it, Zito didn’t get any in his time with CBJ and they have been able to put together a winner. I wouldn’t toss Hunter aside because he was in that cesspool of an organization, Toronto, neither. That’s a non issue. That’s an org thing there, Hunter doesn’t wear that stink.

Get outa the sun, man. You’ve got severe heatstroke.
Important to note the Hunter Leaf time ended with the great schism in which Shanahan chose Dougie Hauser GM Dubas over Hunter which led to the latter's exit. This led to the Leafs over valuing soft finesse hockey over a different style that Hunter might have led. Hunter is an excellent talent evaluator and his pro-style sustaining winning junior program clearly develops players for pro careers. He'd be older than the big Boss Man...

Agree about an open mindedness regarding Bowman without re-litigating this with others who don't. That's what due diligence is for.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Did he say this specifically? This rules out Bowman and Hunter and probably means we're looking at Stan Darche or the LA guy from the 2010s

I think he was just spitballing about the kind of guys he’s looking at and mentioned assistant GMing experience as being an asset for a potential candidate, but not necessarily a requirement. He did sound firm on wanting someone from a winning organization. He also said he doesn’t want to put a timeline on it but suggested is could be finalized in a week to 10 days.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

Know it would never happen but would love it to be sunny mehta. Zito credits him massively for the moves they made driven with analytics.

100% forward thinking assistant gm from obviously the most winning organization last 5 years.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Understandable but still kind of disappointing. Watch the new GM go right back to the way our previous GMs ran things.
The new GM will have Jeff Jackson overseeing him, not Bob Nicholson, Kevin Lowe etc. so I have confidence that it'll work out. Plus the new GM has been placed into a really nice situation after what Holland built up and The Summer of JJ.

Also, to reiterate I think it'll be more of a collaboration than JJ puppeteering the new GM or at least that's what it sounds like will be the case but who knows.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
By the end of the season we could see:
Savoie McDavid Hyman
Skinner Drai Arvidsson
Nuge Henrique Holloway
Janmark ? Brown.
What a forward group! All could be moved around easily for chemistry!

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I listened to the whole JJ interview. Just such a sharp and forward thinking guy.

I loved his comments through and through on analytics. Recognized that the Oilers had a lot of catching up to do in that area. But also gave the indication on how it needs to go hand in hand with the eye test.

He seems like he is adding so many tools that the incompetents and the dinosaurs before him refused to consider to not only level the playing field, but give us the advantages that we should have with a filthy rich owner and a strong fan base.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I listened to the whole JJ interview. Just such a sharp and forward thinking guy.

I loved his comments through and through on analytics. Recognized that the Oilers had a lot of catching up to do in that area. But also gave the indication on how it needs to go hand in hand with the eye test.

He seems like he is adding so many tools that the incompetents and the dinosaurs before him refused to consider to not only level the playing field, but give us the advantages that we should have with a filthy rich owner and a strong fan base.
It's almost as if... he has common sense and brains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad