Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I never said I was done, just that it would be difficult to. I’ll probably keep watching but won’t spend a dime.

In the case or Kane there was upside there. He is/was a good player and with him it was mostly smoke and a lot of rumour.

Bowman legit messed up and the upside is a mediocre at best GM. It literally doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: ujju2 and McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm more surprised anyone views those two as qualified opinion makers.

Where's the so called buzz coming from with people saying Bowman's name is coming up today?

Agreed. I've seen other bozos say the same thing on TSN overdrive. They believe they are giving Edmonton a chance to win and after 5 years they can go win or cash in elsewhere.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I never said I was done, just that it would be difficult to. I’ll probably keep watching but won’t spend a dime.

In the case or Kane there was upside there. He is/was a good player and with him it was mostly smoke and a lot of rumour.

Bowman legit messed up and the upside is a mediocre at best GM. It literally doesn’t make sense.

The only thing Bowman has going for him is that he assembled a winner.

If you go back and look at the trades he made they were terrible as a whole. I think a more competent GM would have had the same success and not have left the franchise as a pile of garbage. He is not a good evaluator of talent and sucks at trades.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

If you go back and look at the trades he made they were terrible as a whole. I think a more competent GM would have had the same success and not have left the franchise as a pile of garbage. He is not a good evaluator of talent and sucks at trades.

Plus he is and looks creepy

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'm not worried for a second that JJ will hire Stan Bowman as GM.

He doesn't fit the description that JJ laid out in the McCown interview. Mathieu Darche is EXACTLY the guy he described. Progressive, analytics driven, recent time in a winning organization with star players, great job in development. "Doesnt have to be someone with a ton of experience as GM."

Plus, if you're Stan Bowman, do you really want to be the GM in Canada with a massive target on your back? He'll likely have to work his way back up as a senior advisor or pro scout or something with a sun belt team.

Jeff Jackson is not a dumb guy and he isn't a traditional hockey guy. I could see Bobby f***ing Burgers with his stupid Team Canada rolodex hiring Stan Bowman on the spot, but not Jeff Jackson.

Plus, as others have pointed out, Stan Bowman really wasn't a great GM to begin with. Quennville was a great coach, but Bowman was a shit GM.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not worried for a second that JJ will hire Stan Bowman as GM.

He doesn't fit the description that JJ laid out in the McCown interview. Mathieu Darche is EXACTLY the guy he described. Progressive, analytics driven, recent time in a winning organization with star players, great job in development. "Doesnt have to be someone with a ton of experience as GM."

Plus, if you're Stan Bowman, do you really want to be the GM in Canada with a massive target on your back? He'll likely have to work his way back up as a senior advisor or pro scout or something with a sun belt team.

Jeff Jackson is not a dumb guy and he isn't a traditional hockey guy. I could see Bobby f***ing Burgers with his stupid Team Canada rolodex hiring Stan Bowman on the spot, but not Jeff Jackson.

Plus, as others have pointed out, Stan Bowman really wasn't a great GM to begin with. Quennville was a great coach, but Bowman was a shit GM.
Who is this guy? I keep seeing his name on the board but I have no idea which team he's been working for and what his role has been?

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Who is this guy? I keep seeing his name on the board but I have no idea which team he's been working for and what his role has been?

1721274406336.gif

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Assistant GM in Tampa, been in their organization since 2019. Quickly worked his way up.to being Julian Brisbois' right hand man. McGill grad, still in his 40s. Very progressive, very analytics driven.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
One of the front office guys for Tbay

Seems everyone around these parts were so impressed with Tbay's trade for Jeannot, they want the guys involved in making it happen to be the next GMs of their franchises :sarcasm:

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Does Bowman even fit what JJ wants? Would be such an odd hire.

I've read about Mathieu Darche and if you look at the personel JJ already brought in, Darche really fits the mold. Bowman just doesn't make sense to me. Why go through a process of modernization, only to revert to a dinosaur GM who shouldn't be allowed to work in the NHL in any role. Dude should be banned, f*ck him.

Not sure how I would react if they really would go for Bowman (they won't). I probably would be deeply disappointed by JJ and his way of thinking (strategically and humanely).

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Did he really assemble a winner though? Chicago won because Kane, Keith, Toews, Hossa, Hammer, Sharp and Seabrook were all together for their best years. They had a lot of depth going into the year that they first won none of which came while Bowman was GM except Hossa who probably would have signed in Chicago if I was their GM since he was obviously shopping for a cup. The only guy he really added to the mix for Cup #2 was Saad who was certainly an excellent pick but he had very little to do with that win. He was more of a player in the third cup but still the core was the reason they won.

I would say that Bowman oversaw the slow dismantling of the great Chicago teams more than its building. During his tenure he had the advantage that Chicago was pretty much the goto franchise for players in a similar way to what Vegas and the Florida teams are today and what Detroit was during significant parts of Hollands tenure there.

I also wonder how much development he gets credit for. While he had some good later round picks he also struck out on many 1st's and even most of the successful picks did not end up playing for the Hawks for very long. Pretty much only Saad and Debrincat had any significant role on the Hawks before getting shipped out.

Last edited:

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Did he really assemble a winner though? Chicago won because Kane, Keith, Toews, Hossa, Hammer, Sharp and Seabrook were all together for their best years. They had a lot of depth going into the year that they first won none of which came while Bowman was GM except Hossa who probably would have signed in Chicago if I was their GM since he was obviously shopping for a cup. The only guy he really added to the mix for Cup #2 was Saad who was certainly an excellent pick but he had very little to do with that win. He was more of a player in the third cup but still the core was the reason they won.

I would say that Bowman oversaw the slow dismantling of the great Chicago teams more than its building. During his tenure he had the advantage that Chicago was pretty much the goto franchise for players in a similar way to what Vegas and the Florida teams are today and what Detroit was during significant parts of Hollands tenure there.

I also wonder how much development he gets credit for. While he had some good later round picks he also struck out on many 1st's and even most of the successful picks did not end up playing for the Hawks for very long. Pretty much only Saad and Debrincat had any significant role on the Hawks before getting shipped out.

The idiot also traded away Panarin when he didn’t want to be moved for a slowly regressing Saad and also Teravainen for magic beans. He is a horrible GM and an even worse person. He has no business being back in the NHL. Ever.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Does Bowman even fit what JJ wants? Would be such an odd hire.

I've read about Mathieu Darche and if you look at the personel JJ already brought in, Darche really fits the mold. Bowman just doesn't make sense to me. Why go through a process of modernization, only to revert to a dinosaur GM who shouldn't be allowed to work in the NHL in any role. Dude should be banned, f*ck him.

Not sure how I would react if they really would go for Bowman (they won't). I probably would be deeply disappointed by JJ and his way of thinking (strategically and humanely).

This is my take. Darche is still young enough that he likely isn't going to mind working with JJ on things.

Bowman is a cup-winning GM, he's going to want to do things his way. And that doesn't even count the baggage he brings.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Parayko is a lot like Larsson in that people love the idea of them instead of what they actually are now.

Parayko has fallen off a cliff. He had worse numbers against elite comp last year than a guy that some are calling the worst player in the league(Josh Brown).

You'd have to be crazy to trade for that contract.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
5 yrs would be dumb for Drai.
Either take a 2yr deal or go all 8.
5 is fine for Drai, I honestly don't care about the length at all, I care about the cap hit. I'd be fine with cheaper 1 year deals really, although that obviously wouldn't be ideal. Anything 3+ is perfectly fine and allows the mgmt team to make the decisions about the future they need to, and shows other players in the league that he is serious about staying. The cap hit is where the rubber hits the road.

Reactions: McDoused

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It just doesn't make any sense from Draisaitls camp. A 5 year deal would have him go to age 34 which is passed his prime.

To put this in perspective, he would be passing on 13.5M from age 34-37. No one is going to come in and offer him that kind mkney at that age. He will be lucky to be getting 7-8M which is 5.5M less per season that taking an 8 year deal. In total that's 16.5M that he would be passing on.

I could see him doing a short term deal or a long term deal but a middle term deal doesn't make any sense for the Draisaitl even if it helps the Oilers down the road. Having said that, he helps the Oilers more to factor that all in and push for an 8 year deal at an even lower cap hit then it does freeing up money in 5 years.

Stamkos just this month got a 4 year deal at $8M at age 34, and Stamkos isn't as good as Drai at the same ages. He will 100% get more than $8M at age 34, especially with the cap rising.

Your overall point about whether somebody would pay him $13.5M is valid though, as that is certainly an unknown. I suppose it could happen, but it would require Drai not falling off at all, or the cap rising quite a bit in the next 5 years.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Stamkos just this month got a 4 year deal at $8M at age 34, and Stamkos isn't as good as Drai at the same ages. He will 100% get more than $8M at age 34, especially with the cap rising.

Your overall point about whether somebody would pay him $13.5M is valid though, as that is certainly an unknown. I suppose it could happen, but it would require Drai not falling off at all, or the cap rising quite a bit in the next 5 years.
No team is giving Drai 13.5M x 4 years when he's 34 even if the cap reaches 100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad