Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
5 is fine for Drai, I honestly don't care about the length at all, I care about the cap hit. I'd be fine with cheaper 1 year deals really, although that obviously wouldn't be ideal. Anything 3+ is perfectly fine and allows the mgmt team to make the decisions about the future they need to, and shows other players in the league that he is serious about staying. The cap hit is where the rubber hits the road.

A 5 year deal is great for the Oilers, I just don't see why Draisaitl does it.

Stamkos just this month got a 4 year deal at $8M at age 34, and Stamkos isn't as good as Drai at the same ages. He will 100% get more than $8M at age 34, especially with the cap rising.

Your overall point about whether somebody would pay him $13.5M is valid though, as that is certainly an unknown. I suppose it could happen, but it would require Drai not falling off at all, or the cap rising quite a bit in the next 5 years.

Thats fair, I don't know what Draisaitl will get at 34/35. I just know it won't be close to 13.5M. Maybe another team overpays and gives him 10M with the cap going up. So instead, he's sacrificing $10M total. I don't know why he wouldn't just sign a long term contract and then ask for a trade in the final years if the Oilers aren't competitive. It's not he's signing a 5 year deal in the hopes of getting paid more than he's currently making.

Reactions: Vagabond

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Parayko is a lot like Larsson in that people love the idea of them instead of what they actually are now.

Parayko has fallen off a cliff. He had worse numbers against elite comp last year than a guy that some are calling the worst player in the league(Josh Brown).

You'd have to be crazy to trade for that contract.
Oilers fans love the fact that Larsson and Parayko brings more value than Nurse. We rather have Parayko and Larsson over Nurse and J Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Parayko
Kulak-Larsson

Trade Ceci and free up 3.3M

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm not sure how the cap works but Evander Kane for Timothy Liljegren might make sense.

Toronto needs a top line LW and likes to do LTIR shenanigans. Liljegren is apparently on the block and would be a great partner for Broberg and another Swede for Ekholm to teach.

Reactions: belair

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Parayko is a lot like Larsson in that people love the idea of them instead of what they actually are now.

Parayko has fallen off a cliff. He had worse numbers against elite comp last year than a guy that some are calling the worst player in the league(Josh Brown).

You'd have to be crazy to trade for that contract.
Yeah, this seems to happen particularly with defencemen. Another example is people suggesting Trouba as an acceptable replacement for Nurse.

I'll be honest, I barely notice dmen when I watch aside from when they make obvious mistakes, or if they're good offensively. So it makes sense that this is the case.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Oilers fans love the fact that Larsson and Parayko brings more value than Nurse. We rather have Parayko and Larsson over Nurse and J Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Parayko
Kulak-Larsson

If you're miraculously trading Nurse, I think you could do a lot better than bringing in a couple of 31/32 year olds that can barely skate anymore to fill the holes in the lineup.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If you're miraculously trading Nurse, I think you could do a lot better than bringing in a couple of 31/32 year olds that can barely skate anymore.
There's a ton of guys I rather have over Parayko and Larsson. But if given the choice between Nurse and Brown or Parayko and Larsson. I would take the latter

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
NYtimes just lost their credibility. Nurse has negative value. Parayko actually has value if St. Louis decides to trade him
Says the Oiler Board... over and over.

I'll repeat the oilers need a puck mover in the worst way if they want to win the Stanley Cup. Without a solid puck transporter on defense the Oilers will not win a Stanley Cup.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Parayko
Kulak-Larsson

The Oilers do not need Parayko or Larsson. Both are bad moves. Either would hinder the club from a winning championship. Both would outright disqualify them.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Says the Oiler Board... over and over.

I'll repeat the oilers need a puck mover in the worst way if they want to win the Stanley Cup. Without a solid puck transporter on defense the Oilers will not win a Stanley Cup.

The Oilers do not need Parayko or Larsson. Both are bad moves. Either would hinder the club from a winning championship. Both would outright disqualify them.
Broberg and Bouchard are the puck transporters. We can also pick up another one for cheap in Kylington

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Why the Larsson discussion? Has he publicly stated that his thoughts on Edmonton have changed? I mean his explanation that playing in Edmonton after the family tragedy was a constant reminder to him and his mother about his father dying is pretty strong statement about why he moved on to Seattle.

Were just hoping that time heals old wounds. Apparently he spoke highly of Edmonton to Arvidsson so it has fans speculating.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Were just hoping that time heals old wounds. Apparently he spoke highly of Edmonton to Arvidsson so it has fans speculating.
Larsson would be a step back for the Oilers, we need a quality defenseman that can transition with speed. That's not Larsson.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I wonder how "welling" they are.

McDavid will take a discount simply because he could get a max contract if he really wanted (which is $19m+ right now) but will likely settle in the 15.5-16 range. Maybe Drai takes a slight discount around 13.5 or so but I don't see any chance that Bouchard on his first big contract takes a discount. I expect the 3 to end up in the $40m range.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Broberg and Bouchard are the puck transporters. We can also pick up another one for cheap in Kylington

Yeah lol like how magical of a unicorn is a "puck transporter". This team spent three top 10 picks on Nurse, Bouchard, and Broberg, at least one of them should be doing that or we should be developing that ability in the younger two.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Yeah lol like how magical of a unicorn is a "puck transporter". This team spent three top 10 picks on Nurse, Bouchard, and Broberg, at least one of them should be doing that or we should be developing that ability in the younger two.
you need all the speed and puck movement you can get from the backend if you want to win it all in todays NHL

the best defense is moving the puck quickly and efficiently to our impressive set of forwards

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There's another kid that I'm confident that will be another puck transporter for us is Beau Akey.

What we need more is a shut down D like Larsson to help stabilize the defense and leaky Skinner. How do people see what Ekholm has done to transform our defense and not want another shut down D? Larsson is exactly an Ekholm type. Just not as good

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
you need all the speed and puck movement you can get from the backend if you want to win it all in todays NHL

the best defense is moving the puck quickly and efficiently to our impressive set of forwards

You need to have your GA at a good level which the Oilers did under Knoblaugh. They were 2 goals away from a Stanley Cup, they don't need massive changes.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You need to have your GA at a good level which the Oilers did under Knoblaugh. They were 2 goals away from a Stanley Cup, they don't need massive changes.
Incorporating another quality defenceman into the system who can push the pace and make plays is an addition the Oilers absolutely need.

It would level up the club immensely making us the most compelling team of the top 5 or 6 contending clubs.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver

McDavid will take a discount simply because he could get a max contract if he really wanted (which is $19m+ right now) but will likely settle in the 15.5-16 range. Maybe Drai takes a slight discount around 13.5 or so but I don't see any chance that Bouchard on his first big contract takes a discount. I expect the 3 to end up in the $40m range.
Yeah, I don't think McD has much of a choice. Best player in the world and it's his job to represent the NHLPA and raise the bar. Drai and Pooshart would need to take deals. I just don't see the face of the game being able to when it's "his responsibility" to help the rest of the league make more money

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Nurse is going nowhere.

Kane is going nowhere until his NMC becomes an NTC.

I would be shocked if Draisaitl took anything under 100M in total contract value.

The team last year was good enough to win the cup, they aren’t going to make any big changes but they’ve upgraded a few guys and they’re a better team than the one that came as close as you can to winning it all without actually winning.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Yeah, I don't think McD has much of a choice. Best player in the world and it's his job to represent the NHLPA and raise the bar. Drai and Pooshart would need to take deals. I just don't see the face of the game being able to when it's "his responsibility" to help the rest of the league make more money
Please explain how McDavid is helping the rest of the league earn more money?

I’d love to hear your thought process on that one considering the league has a salary cap which the players receive a pre determined amount based on tevenue, meaning that no matter what there’s a set number of money available for all players.

If McDavid takes more money it’s actually the opposite of what you suggest, because the more that high end players like McDavid take the less there is for everyone else. The size of the pie doesn’t get bigger when Mcdavid takes more, it stays the same.

So how do you figure that McDavid taking more means more money for everyone else in the PA?

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton

Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Parayko
Kulak-Larsson

Agreed. It's just extremely unlikely to happen. Convincing Nurse to lift his NMC is equally unlikely.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
5 is fine for Drai, I honestly don't care about the length at all, I care about the cap hit. I'd be fine with cheaper 1 year deals really, although that obviously wouldn't be ideal. Anything 3+ is perfectly fine and allows the mgmt team to make the decisions about the future they need to, and shows other players in the league that he is serious about staying. The cap hit is where the rubber hits the road.
5 isn't fine for the player. There is no way he is going to get a big money deal in his late 30s. He might lose out on 20M+ career earnings if he goes 5yrs.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017

Not a chance mcdavid signs fit any were near 16 million. Is he worth it??? OFC he is, be he knows how crippling that contract would be. He also doesn't think there is that much gap between him ans Draisaitl play he is humble. I suspect mcdavid will sign for roughly 500k to MAYBE 1 mill more then drai cap hit.

So drai will set the bar

It is kinda of ironic how all the talk is about team friendly desls right now. Were was this talk for nurse deal? I actually love nurse but he is a 7 million dollar player not 9

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I never said I was done, just that it would be difficult to. I’ll probably keep watching but won’t spend a dime.

In the case or Kane there was upside there. He is/was a good player and with him it was mostly smoke and a lot of rumour.

Bowman legit messed up and the upside is a mediocre at best GM. It literally doesn’t make sense.

Lol. Ain't no smoke. He was a massive POS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad