Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
To be honest guys, that 2 mutts podcast I posted isn't exactly 100% or even 50% at times. It just "shoots the shit" in the way. It's just stating the obvious. We know there is interest in Bowman. It seems more like that twitter is hoping it happens lol

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hmm…stumbled upon this, found it interesting on Bowman from a Sheldon Kennedy write-up

If it was posted already, apologies.

I’m not for/against, but thought this gave a bit of context
Thanks for sharing this. Gives helpful context for the rehabilitation hurdle involved with Bowman returning to any job in the NHL. Personally I have high respect for Sheldon Kennedy who I've met in passing and his life's work to address a systemic, societal issue.

Bowman's cleared this hurdle with the league. Now comes a consideration by league cartel members of his ability based on past performance; fit and reputation risk considerations/risk tolerance of their organizations; and potential performance upside still available to unlock in an age 51 guy.

Kind of a runaway train with people inclined to believer spurious sources that Jackson has locked into Bowman. Good due diligence to explore all prospective candidates versus past hiring practices of this organization. We'll see where it goes.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yup. If McDrai make anything approaching $30M combined, we have exactly 1 year to win a cup, and that is next year. $30M tied up in two players means we won't field a cup contending team again during McDrai's prime years, barring some absolutely RIDICULOUS cap movement in the next year or two. It would take the cap jumping up $8-10 M/year for a couple years to really allow us to build out a team around them in that scenario.

If McDrai are serious about winning a cup, the total cap hit for the 2 of them needs to be more like $20-22M if we are being honest with ourselves. $25M at the absolute most.
It's the most likely outcome so prepare for it. Maybe not exactly $30M but I expect $15m+ for McDavid and $13m+ for Drai so I think $28m is the absolute floor of what they'll receive.
Bouchard is getting $10m+ so prepare for that too. $38m minimum for the three IMO.

You REALLY think $20-22m for the two combined is realistic? You don't really believe that, do you? So... you expect Drai to get $10m and McDavid 12m? Come on now.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thanks for sharing this. Gives helpful context for the rehabilitation hurdle involved with Bowman returning to any job in the NHL. Personally I have high respect for Sheldon Kennedy who I've met in passing and his life's work to address a systemic, societal issue.

Bowman's cleared this hurdle with the league. Now comes a consideration by league cartel members of his ability based on past performance; fit and reputation risk considerations/risk tolerance of their organizations; and potential performance upside still available to unlock in an age 51 guy.

Kind of a runaway train with people inclined to believer spurious sources that Jackson has locked into Bowman. Good due diligence to explore all prospective candidates versus past hiring practices of this organization. We'll see where it goes.

The sexual assault issues aside, the concern I have with Bowman is he more or less panicked after the Blackhawks got swept in 2017 and started shooting from the hip which sunk the franchise and probably put them out of a final compete window earlier than they should have been. The Blackhawks did get swept in the 1st round, but they also finished 1st in the Conference that year. Dealing Panarin for Saad was absurd. Bowman wasn't all that bad as a GM prior to this, but flailed basically the second the job got tough.

In ~5 years (assuming Connor/Leon re-sign) the Oilers will be in a similar situation where the core is aged a bit, we won't have premium assets to move, and will need strong management to continue to push this team to the top and not bottom out prematurely. Bowman failed in spectacular fashion when this time came in Chicago.

Jackson has showed through his moves that he is fully aware that he can't leave the cupboard bare and leave the team exposed down the line. Based on this it would surprise me if he targeted a guy that should basically be the poster boy of what not to do when a roster refresh/shuffle is needed.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah, I don't think McD has much of a choice. Best player in the world and it's his job to represent the NHLPA and raise the bar. Drai and Pooshart would need to take deals. I just don't see the face of the game being able to when it's "his responsibility" to help the rest of the league make more money

Literally the amount of money the players get is a set percentage as bargained by lawyers enmasse during the lockout during the CBA.

McDavid's individual contract alone is completely unrelated.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The Oilers in the coming years will have a much bigger problem dealing with their support players aging out of effectiveness than with their core pieces taking up ~40M in cap.

People are worried about the wrong problem.

Reactions: Oilhawks

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He knocked his last deal down by maybe 1mil tops, probably less. That's all of a discount McD is taking in his next conty
How do you know that?

You aren’t privy to negotiations and you don’t even understand the relation between player contracts and the cap set by HRR.

Mcdavid is going to have well over 200M in career earnings by the time he’s done and that’s not even taking into account endorsements and appearance money. I’d hazard a guess that at this point winning is far more important then scraping out an extra 10-15M in career earnings because the more he takes the less there is for everyone else on his team and thus it becomes harder to be as competitive as possible.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers in the coming years will have a much bigger problem dealing with their support players aging out of effectiveness than with their core pieces taking up ~40M in cap.

Our core player became a problem as soon as his new deal kicked in at 9.25M

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah, I don't think McD has much of a choice. Best player in the world and it's his job to represent the NHLPA and raise the bar. Drai and Pooshart would need to take deals. I just don't see the face of the game being able to when it's "his responsibility" to help the rest of the league make more money
Why do people continually post that the nhlpa has anything to do with it.

McDavid making more isn’t going to increase the salary cap.

Do you even understand how the salary cap is calculated?

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I'm honestly not too worried about it.

Bouchard, Broberg and Akey are a great young trio to work with on defense.
Savoie & O'Rielly are a solid start at adding some impactful young forwards.
Skinner is young and we have two solid goalie prospects beneath him now.

Then you factor in that players will keep coming if the window is open.

As long as McDrai are here and in their prime, we are contenders.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The sexual assault issues aside, the concern I have with Bowman is he more or less panicked after the Blackhawks got swept in 2017 and started shooting from the hip which sunk the franchise and probably put them out of a final compete window earlier than they should have been. The Blackhawks did get swept in the 1st round, but they also finished 1st in the Conference that year. Dealing Panarin for Saad was absurd. Bowman wasn't all that bad as a GM prior to this, but flailed basically the second the job got tough.

In ~5 years (assuming Connor/Leon re-sign) the Oilers will be in a similar situation where the core is aged a bit, we won't have premium assets to move, and will need strong management to continue to push this team to the top and not bottom out prematurely. Bowman failed in spectacular fashion when this time came in Chicago.

Jackson has showed through his moves that he is fully aware that he can't leave the cupboard bare and leave the team exposed down the line. Based on this it would surprise me if he targeted a guy that should basically be the poster boy of what not to do when a roster refresh/shuffle is needed.
I hear you. I'm not advocating the guy but due diligence to look at all options. Regarding some of the prospective 'younger' GM candidates, with Darche; Botterill; even Bowman there seems to be an age range of about 47-51ish (same with the internal promotion just done by Washington).

The double edge sword of prospective candidates like Botterill and Bowman is that they've had early, big chair jobs and responsibilities. Have big decisions on their plate with mistakes along with some successes versus those candidates that are relatively 'unblemished' with support level work in good winning organizations.

I would imagine Jackson is drilling down into their thought processes involved with some of these decisions - why made? - what was the rationale? - how did they learn from the situation? Describe their decision making process (are they collaborative, how/if do they use information/analytics to guide them; are they pro-active or re-active; etc.

And of course alignment philosophical to Jackson's core principles will be non-negotiable: progressive/innovative thinker; strong development experience and expertise; information/analytic supported decision making; consensus and collaborative leadership; aggressive and pro-active mindset; adopter of sport science and other leading edge practices, etc.

As outsiders it's going to come down to how much faith one has in Jackson's judgement of this organization's immediate, mid-term, and long-term needs.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I know Nurse will still be an issue but who else? When McDavids new contract kicks in the only older support players left will be Hyman and Nuge. Both players are on team friendly deals and I think will still be effective at age 33 / 34.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I know Nurse will still be an issue but who else? When McDavids new contract kicks in the only older support players left will be Hyman and Nuge. Both players are on team friendly deals and I think will still be effective at age 33 / 34.
Nurse is really the only problem on the Oilers. Our supporting cast are on good deals

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I don't know why people keep thinking its Bowman? Based on what JJ said in the podcast, it sounds more like he wants someone he can control. He even said he's been looking at assistant GMs.

But then there's this. I may vomit

The thing with that person is he often yaps but 99% wrong of the time. He's as credible as TreenasOil. Just only missing the per Garfield like Treenas.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

How so? Hyman and Nuge at $10m combined will almost always be a bargain even if they end up as really good 3rd liners towards the end of the contract. Kane's contract will be expiring before long and Ekholm has to trend down fairly significantly to merely be worth what he's getting paid currently.
Which other aging support players are issues besides the obvious one whose contract is already an anchor?

The biggest issue isn't the Core 3 getting $38m+ on their next deals either. The lone massive issue is the Nurse contract.

Reactions: capazzo

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

How so? Hyman and Nuge at $10m combined will almost always be a bargain even if they end up as really good 3rd liners towards the end of the contract. Kane's contract will be expiring before long and Ekholm has to trend down fairly significantly to merely be worth what he's getting paid currently.
Which other aging support players are issues besides the obvious one whose contract is already an anchor?

The biggest issue isn't the Core 3 getting $38m+ on their next deals either. The lone massive issue is the Nurse contract.

Hyman
RNH
Kane
Ekholm
Nurse
Maybe Henrique depending on how you view him but personally I'm not a huge fan.

That's pretty much the entire top half of the teams lineup outside of the true core pieces and they're all important contributors that could certainly fall off or start to slow in the next few seasons. No they won't all leave us with boat anchors wasting cap space the way Nurse is looking but you still need to replace the impact in the lineup and these types of pieces are not found easily. This franchise needed almost 20 years to pull off a trade for a player like Ekholm.

Of course, it's highly unlikely that all of them hit the proverbial wall at the same time so it's not like this is a one summer crisis or something.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
every morning I wake up and one of the first things I do is check if Draisaitl is signed

got a nice bottle of champagne I will open ones its done

Reactions: walktheboulavard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad