Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hyman
RNH
Kane
Ekholm
Nurse
Maybe Henrique depending on how you view him but personally I'm not a huge fan.

That's pretty much the entire top half of the teams lineup outside of the true core pieces and they're all important contributors that could certainly fall off or start to slow in the next few seasons. No they won't all leave us with boat anchors wasting cap space the way Nurse is looking but you still need to replace the impact in the lineup and these types of pieces are not found easily. This franchise needed almost 20 years to pull off a trade for a player like Ekholm.

Of course, it's highly unlikely that all of them hit the proverbial wall at the same time so it's not like this is a one summer crisis or something.
The only deal I can see it not becoming a boat anchor is McDavid's deal. Bouchard and Draisaitl deals have their risks. While it's small, it's still there.

I don't see our supporting cast as a problem even with age. They're paid quite fairly. Kane could be LTIR and even if he isn't, when healthy he's actually effective. In 2 years, Ekholm and Kulak will re-sign for less IMO.
Also, Broberg, Akey, Savoie, O'Reilly will fill the remaining of the roster in 2 years. I don't see much of an issue. Lastly, I think the Oilers at a stage where UFAs are willing to sign here for cheap in order to win.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why do people continually post that the nhlpa has anything to do with it.

McDavid making more isn’t going to increase the salary cap.

Do you even understand how the salary cap is calculated?
Lol, Fourier just made a thread about this the other day

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Hyman
RNH
Kane
Ekholm
Nurse
Maybe Henrique depending on how you view him but personally I'm not a huge fan.

That's pretty much the entire top half of the teams lineup outside of the true core pieces and they're all important contributors that could certainly fall off or start to slow in the next few seasons. No they won't all leave us with boat anchors wasting cap space the way Nurse is looking but you still need to replace the impact in the lineup and these types of pieces are not found easily. This franchise needed almost 20 years to pull off a trade for a player like Ekholm.

Of course, it's highly unlikely that all of them hit the proverbial wall at the same time so it's not like this is a one summer crisis or something.
Well I agree most of the support group is aging. That’s why JJ is bolstering the prospect pool. I don’t see it being a huge issue though. Clearly attracting UFAs isn’t an issue.

Nuge and Hyman will still be good players on good contracts for the foreseeable future. Kane and Henrique are replaceable. The only player that will be hard to replace is Ekholm. Ekholm probably loses a step but also probably resigns here cheaper anyways.

Nurse is nurse. His contract will bite us from now until it’s finally over.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The Nurse contract is improving according to the NYTimes.

He is now down to 9th worst.

Parayko is 3rd for those looking to add him.
He got bumped from what? 6th worst contract to 9th?

Considering they've added Huberdeau(#1 worst contract), Chandler Stephenson(#2), and Tom Wilson(#3) in just the last two or three years, I mean - fair enough. Those are some truly awful contracts. Not so much that Nurse's contract has improved, but a function of other much worse contracts being added.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He fired Quennville
I mean part of that is because the team was headed in the wrong direction. After ten years no matter how much you like a guy you're going to probably fire him over the alternative of you being fired.

Although it's kind of a moot point. Jackson is going to be having final say on shit. Highly doubt he'd allow anyone to fire Knoblauch unless it was warranted. That and I'd be shocked if Jackson brought Bowman in as GM in the first place.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He got bumped from what? 6th worst contract to 9th?

Considering they've added Huberdeau(#1 worst contract), Chandler Stephenson(#2), and Tom Wilson(#3) in just the last two or three years, I mean - fair enough. Those are some truly awful contracts. Not so much that Nurse's contract has improved, but a function of other much worse contracts being added.
What kind of model has Parayko's 2024-25 value at $3.7M? That is less than Matt Dumba just signed for. 105 defensemen in the NHL make more.

Reactions: capazzo

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
What kind of model has Parayko's 2024-25 value at $3.7M? That is less than Matt Dumba just signed for. 105 defensemen in the NHL make more.
No idea. Something about his model that is really harsh on Parayko, or maybe he's just doing it to drive hate clicks.

It's just a summer list to me. I don't put much more stock(or thought) into it than I do an ESPN list that rates a bunch of WNBA players ahead of Mcdavid as the best professional athlete of the 21st century.

Reactions: Fourier

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's the most likely outcome so prepare for it. Maybe not exactly $30M but I expect $15m+ for McDavid and $13m+ for Drai so I think $28m is the absolute floor of what they'll receive.
Bouchard is getting $10m+ so prepare for that too. $38m minimum for the three IMO.

You REALLY think $20-22m for the two combined is realistic? You don't really believe that, do you? So... you expect Drai to get $10m and McDavid 12m? Come on now.

I don't think its realistic for Drai, but I do think it might be for McDavid. I've posted on this numerous times in the past few weeks, but I'll summarize as best I can:

- McDavid already has generational wealth with around ~$140 M USD (or ~$190 M CAD) in career earnings from salary and endorsements (endorsements being about $5-6 M USD/year)
- He is going to play for around another 10 years. He will make about ~$50-60 M USD in endorsements alone, and even if he took a sweetheart of a deal for the rest of his career (say something absurd like $5 M USD), he'd made another ~$50 M USD in salary
- His total, with a ridiculous $5 M/year, which nobody expects, will be around ~$250 M USD in total earnings ($340 M CAD)
- He will also be able to work in hockey after his playing career if he wants, in a variety of capacities, including the continuation of some lucrative endorsement deals.
- McDavid already has generational wealth, and will only increase that for the rest of his life. He doesn't need money.
- McDavid is a student of the game and is almost on hockeys mount rushmore as it is. But he will never get there without a cup win, or more than 1 even.

The conclusion is that if McDavid cares about legacy more than money, he will take a sweetheart deal for at least a few years, in an attempt to secure said legacy.

All the above doesn't apply to Drai at all, so I expect him to "go for the bag", more or less. Same goes for Bouchard. McDavid is a different animal all together, and what he signs for will show us whether he cares more about money, or more about legacy.

I guess they aren’t winning the cup because this is ridiculous.

See my above comment.

I can see Drai going for $13 M/year, but if he does, and McDavid cares about his legacy, he would sign a short deal at an exceptional discount. Say something like $8 M/year for 3 years, or something like that. When he is lying on his death bed, thinking back on his hockey life, he won't care about the extra $30 million he could have made, he will care about having never won a cup. Money, once you have such wealth, doesn't matter at all, not even a little bit actually. If I was McDavid's father, this is what I would be telling him.

I don't really expect it to happen, because 28 year old people (what McDavid will be next year when he can sign an extension) generally don't think like this. But McDavid is wise beyond his years, so it might just happen.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Seriously? How many advisors, assistant GMs, special assistant to the owner, CEO emeritus can a team f***ing employ?

0723FC19-FF3C-4254-BCB3-0CE8F92B5EEF.gif

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think its realistic for Drai, but I do think it might be for McDavid. I've posted on this numerous times in the past few weeks, but I'll summarize as best I can:

- McDavid already has generational wealth with around ~$140 M USD (or ~$190 M CAD) in career earnings from salary and endorsements (endorsements being about $5-6 M USD/year)
- He is going to play for around another 10 years. He will make about ~$50-60 M USD in endorsements alone, and even if he took a sweetheart of a deal for the rest of his career (say something absurd like $5 M USD), he'd made another ~$50 M USD in salary
- His total, with a ridiculous $5 M/year, which nobody expects, will be around ~$250 M USD in total earnings ($340 M CAD)
- He will also be able to work in hockey after his playing career if he wants, in a variety of capacities, including the continuation of some lucrative endorsement deals.
- McDavid already has generational wealth, and will only increase that for the rest of his life. He doesn't need money.
- McDavid is a student of the game and is almost on hockeys mount rushmore as it is. But he will never get there without a cup win, or more than 1 even.

The conclusion is that if McDavid cares about legacy more than money, he will take a sweetheart deal for at least a few years, in an attempt to secure said legacy.

All the above doesn't apply to Drai at all, so I expect him to "go for the bag", more or less. Same goes for Bouchard. McDavid is a different animal all together, and what he signs for will show us whether he cares more about money, or more about legacy.

See my above comment.

I can see Drai going for $13 M/year, but if he does, and McDavid cares about his legacy, he would sign a short deal at an exceptional discount. Say something like $8 M/year for 3 years, or something like that. When he is lying on his death bed, thinking back on his hockey life, he won't care about the extra $30 million he could have made, he will care about having never won a cup. Money, once you have such wealth, doesn't matter at all, not even a little bit actually. If I was McDavid's father, this is what I would be telling him.

I don't really expect it to happen, because 28 year old people (what McDavid will be next year when he can sign an extension) generally don't think like this. But McDavid is wise beyond his years, so it might just happen.
It's too bad McDavid doesn't market himself better. There's so much potential to make money for himself through endorsements.

I understand tennis is a global sport but Carlito Alcaraz just won his 4th grand slam and just sign another 10 years deal with Nike worth $200M and he's getting his own brand under Nike. And he's more of an introvert than McDavid is.

I feel like McDavid could be making an extra $20M/yr on endorsements on top of what he's already making if he promoted himself better

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's too bad McDavid doesn't market himself better. There's so much potential to make money for himself through endorsements.

I understand tennis is a global sport but Carlito Alcaraz just won his 4th grand slam and just sign another 10 years deal with Nike worth $200M and he's getting his own brand under Nike. And he's more of an introvert than McDavid is.

I'm not sure how it's McDavid's fault that the NHL and hockey players in general don't have anywhere near the marketing value as players in the NFL, NBA, MLB, Golf, Soccer or Tennis.

He's already at or near the top of endorsement income for an NHL player (I believe he's roughly tied with Crosby), short of him snapping his fingers and making hockey the same international brand machine as the other sports I'm not really sure what else he's supposed to do.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm not sure how it's McDavid's fault that the NHL and hockey players in general don't have anywhere near the marketing value as players in the NFL, NBA, MLB, Golf, Soccer or Tennis.

He's already at or near the top of endorsement income for an NHL player (I believe he's roughly tied with Crosby), short of him snapping his fingers and making hockey the same international brand machine as the other sports I'm not really sure what else he's supposed to do.
Gretzky made double his salary through endorsements while playing. Players still have to put themselves out there.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I have never figured out why people are worried about 100 million when they will never spend it in their lifetime

Reactions: Canovin

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Gretzky made double his salary through endorsements while playing. Players still have to put themselves out there.

Gretzky made about $3M per year at his peak. $3M in 1990 is in the same ballpark as the $6M McDavid earns in endorsements today.

McDavid has a ton of endorsements, they just aren't worth that much because he's a Canadian NHL player playing in Edmonton. Has zero to do with "putting himself out there" lol

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Nope, it wasn’t. Holland had a year to sign him. If he based it on comparables he would have gotten less. Holland panicked.
No he didn’t panic he just lost two top 4 d men being Klef and Larrson and had no choice but to keep the one guy he had left that was a top 4 minute muncher. Nurse had just finished playing almost 60 min in a double OT game because he was one the few d man that could be trusted and finished 7 in Norris voting. He could not walk him to FA regardless of the revisionist history that you are using here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad