Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I'm not sure how it's McDavid's fault that the NHL and hockey players in general don't have anywhere near the marketing value as players in the NFL, NBA, MLB, Golf, Soccer or Tennis.

He's already at or near the top of endorsement income for an NHL player (I believe he's roughly tied with Crosby), short of him snapping his fingers and making hockey the same international brand machine as the other sports I'm not really sure what else he's supposed to do.
If McDavid had a personality he could cash in more. I love the guy. You love the guy. But it’s the truth. You don’t need to be charming to win so it’s all good.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
No he didn’t panic he just lost two top 4 d men being Klef and Larrson and had no choice but to keep the one guy he had left that was a top 4 minute muncher. Nurse had just finished playing almost 60 min in a double OT game because he was one the few d man that could be trusted and finished 7 in Norris voting. He could not walk him to FA regardless of the revisionist history that you are using here.
I'm confident Jackson would have done a better job than giving Nurse 9.25M

Dubas did a lot of dumb things but he handled Rielly deal the right way

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Incorporating another quality defenceman into the system who can push the pace and make plays is an addition the Oilers absolutely need.

It would level up the club immensely making us the most compelling team of the top 5 or 6 contending clubs.

I mean every team in a cap world is going to have some things lacking. Even Florida really doesn't have a traditional star no.1 D (Ekblad ain't it and was terrible in the Finals) or a dominant scoring forward (preferably center).

We had a clear need for more scoring punch/finish on our top 6 wings with Kane having declined from 2 years ago, if we had that a month ago we probably win the Cup.

Skinner needs to take a step forward in his game now too, he's been given ample experience in the playoffs the next two years, time to elevate towards a .910+ in both regular season and playoffs next time around.

Improvement should come on the back end from the injection of Broberg, we spent a high pick on this guy, time for that pay some dividends.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If McDavid had a personality he could cash in more. I love the guy. You love the guy. But it’s the truth. You don’t need to be charming to win so it’s all good.

How many athletes these days are really that ubiquitous in marketing any way? NFL is way, way, way bigger than the NHL, but now that Brady is retired, how many NFL players would average non-NFL fan really know?

Like I know Mahomes and Kelce (100% owing to Taylor Swift), outside of that the list gets pretty thin very fast. It feels like to me Joe Montana was more famous in his hey day.

Crosby and Lemieux both having boring, hockey centric personas, so McDavid fits right in.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
How many athletes these days are really that ubiquitous in marketing any way? NFL is way, way, way bigger than the NHL, but now that Brady is retired, how many NFL players would average non-NFL fan really know?

Like I know Mahomes and Kelce (100% owing to Taylor Swift), outside of that the list gets pretty thin very fast. It feels like to me Joe Montana was more famous in his hey day.

Crosby and Lemieux both having boring, hockey centric personas, so McDavid fits right in.
The Kelce brothers were huge before Taylor Swift. They will make a bunch of money because of their personalities.

The Manning brothers also were / are notoriously funny and have made lots of money because of it.

Ray Lewis was funny. Dan Marino… Polamalu always made funny commercials and still does.

That being said I actually think McDavid is low key funny. He markets himself fine.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Isn't that podcast the one that someone in Kane's camp floated all that hearsay to? About being healthy, wanting to be here i.e. not willing to get surgery, not willing to waive the NMC stuff and get traded.. I don't know man. When we're taking the word of anonymous dudes on a podcast, and not even part of the decrepit media core.. terrible as they are, we're really getting into the weeds on this one.

Just wait and see what gets announced with the contracts. Probably also waiting on the GM hire, Jackson might give that one to whomever the prospective GM hire is as a PR win, even though he's likely done the majority of the leg work on it already.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
It's interesting the complaints today about what this team will look like in two years. I could see that fear pre- playoff run. But after Holloway and Broberg showed their promise, the draft of O'Rielly and Vinni, and the trade for Savoie, it looks promising.

Here is what our opening night roster looks like so far for 2026-27. I'm only assuming 3 extensions at this point. McDavid, Draisaitl, and I genuinly believe Ekholm will sign a cheaper deal, but will probably be slower at that point.

xxxxx-McDavid-Savoie
Holloway-Draisaitl-xxxxx
O’Rielly-RNH-Hyman
Janmark-xxxxx-xxxxx

Broberg-Bouchard
Nurse-Akey
Ekhlom-xxxxx

Skinner
xxxxx

First, I expect that we will still have no problem getting UFA's on 1-2 years deals to go for it.

In net, I'd imagine one of Rodrigue, Vinni or Ungar would have that #2 spot.

Dmen like Kemp/Wanner and Forwards like Philp/Jarventie could also be in the equation.

Seriously ladies and Gents, as long as the top dogs stick around, we will be solid for a while yet.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If Kylington gets desperate he’d be a great PTO option. The guys on Calgary’s Fan960 have been crying and whining about him leaving Calgary because they feel he owes the Flames another contract…it would be a real f-u to Calgary if he ended up in orange and blue.

But then again Edmonton having won more rounds these past two seasons than the flames have won since 2004 is also a huge f*** you to Calgary
Everyone wanting out of Calgary while players are taking less to play in Edmonton is the best FU to the Flames

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
No he didn’t panic he just lost two top 4 d men being Klef and Larrson and had no choice but to keep the one guy he had left that was a top 4 minute muncher. Nurse had just finished playing almost 60 min in a double OT game because he was one the few d man that could be trusted and finished 7 in Norris voting. He could not walk him to FA regardless of the revisionist history that you are using here.
Im not sure you know what revisionist means. Everyone to the person on here said it was a massive overpay. Nurse still had one year left in his contract. Nurse was coming off of a career year playing in a COVID bubble where his numbers were hugely inflated. Even if Nurse walked THE NEXT YEAR- Holland still would have had the whole year and 2 offseasons to search for a replacement. Yeah- it’s the definition of panicked

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
It's interesting the complaints today about what this team will look like in two years. I could see that fear pre- playoff run. But after Holloway and Broberg showed their promise, the draft of O'Rielly and Vinni, and the trade for Savoie, it looks promising.

Here is what our opening night roster looks like so far for 2026-27. I'm only assuming 3 extensions at this point. McDavid, Draisaitl, and I genuinly believe Ekholm will sign a cheaper deal, but will probably be slower at that point.

xxxxx-McDavid-Savoie
Holloway-Draisaitl-xxxxx
O’Rielly-RNH-Hyman
Janmark-xxxxx-xxxxx

Broberg-Bouchard
Nurse-Akey
Ekhlom-xxxxx

Skinner
xxxxx

First, I expect that we will still have no problem getting UFA's on 1-2 years deals to go for it.

In net, I'd imagine one of Rodrigue, Vinni or Ungar would have that #2 spot.

Dmen like Kemp/Wanner and Forwards like Philp/Jarventie could also be in the equation.

Seriously ladies and Gents, as long as the top dogs stick around, we will be solid for a while yet.
I can see two potential eras if Drai and Mcdavid stay long term. The first era is the next few years, largely the same team with Elkholm, Nuge and Hyman as key pieces. Hopefully it nets a couple of cups, one for sure. Then there will need to be a retool, they will need to get some turnover and bring in youth and then a second window hopefully opens up.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I mean every team in a cap world is going to have some things lacking. Even Florida really doesn't have a traditional star no.1 D (Ekblad ain't it and was terrible in the Finals) or a dominant scoring forward (preferably center).

We had a clear need for more scoring punch/finish on our top 6 wings with Kane having declined from 2 years ago, if we had that a month ago we probably win the Cup.

Skinner needs to take a step forward in his game now too, he's been given ample experience in the playoffs the next two years, time to elevate towards a .910+ in both regular season and playoffs next time around.

Improvement should come on the back end from the injection of Broberg, we spent a high pick on this guy, time for that pay some dividends.
The player I'm talking about is not a #1 D. It's a puck transporter. I don't understand why so few posters understand the concept of moving the puck quickly. The Oilers need more. Broberg doesn't have enough experience and to put it plainly, he's not close to being good enough. Maybe in another 3 or 4 years he might be.

If another mover of the puck is acquired for the Oilers blue line, as long as he's a sound player in his own end I don't care if he only scores 25 points a season. This could be a cheap asset to acquire and shouldn't be that expensive to pay.

If you think the defense is good as is expect the last year of the inexpensive Draisaitl contract and the second last of McDavid's to be wasted on another season without the cup. It's that simple. The Oilers need more mobility from their defense or they won't win. I don't give a shit that they went to game seven of the cup final. They didn't f***ing win and without a solid upgrade on defense they won't win.

Every expert and professional prognosticator is saying the Oilers are the favorite to win the cup... why this mock support isn't questioned is extremely alarming to me. As the defense stands I don't see the Oilers winning the cup. And we can't even afford our current defense headed into the season. A salary dump will only weakening it.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The player I'm talking about is not a #1 D. It's a puck transporter. I don't understand why so few posters understand the concept of moving the puck quickly. The Oilers need more. Broberg doesn't have enough experience and to put it plainly, he's not close to being good enough. Maybe in another 3 or 4 years he might be.

If another mover of the puck is acquired for the Oilers blue line, as long as he's a sound player in his own end I don't care if he only scores 25 points a season. This could be a cheap asset to acquire and shouldn't be that expensive to pay.

If you think the defense is good as is expect the last year of the inexpensive Draisaitl contract and the second last of McDavid's to be wasted on another season without the cup. It's that simple. The Oilers need more mobility from their defense or they won't win. I don't give a shit that they went to game seven of the cup final. They didn't f***ing win and without a solid upgrade on defense they won't win.

I think our backend is better than most teams at moving the puck, Colorado was the only team in the league that had more points by defensemen.

Reactions: Duke74

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think our backend is better than most teams at moving the puck, Colorado was the only team in the league that had more points by defensemen.
Better than most teams but most teams have crap defense corps. That's the truth. Points and quick puck transportation that equate to efficient and controlled zone exits are different but not necessarily mutually exclusive things.

The Oilers get hemmed in their own zone. Sometimes they eventually get scored on. But even when they don't get scored on the team becomes worn down and exhausted, not to mention the momentum of the game is likely changed. One bad shift, even if the team doesn't get scored on, can alter the events of the game.

Our players only have so many shifts in them per game and when those minutes are spent in the defensive zone this is not a good outcome, regardless of the final score.

Puck movement doesn't necessarily mean more points, it means having the puck in your own zone for less time.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Funny how Jackson was handed a near Stanley Cup winning team and somehow he is a hero.

Holland made this from a mess.

Jj job is to try to not f it up.

Certainly Holland inherited a mess and JJ is taking over in a much more enviable position but the fact of the matter is that JJ has done more with less cap space in 3 weeks than Holland ever did in 5 years and is rapidly implementing a modern vision for what managing a team.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Certainly Holland inherited a mess and JJ is taking over in a much more enviable position but the fact of the matter is that JJ has done more with less cap space in 3 weeks than Holland ever did in 5 years and is rapidly implementing a modern vision for what managing a team.

I think it's easy for fans to turn on Holland but realistically most of the work that JJ did was prepared under Holland. It's not like JJ woke up on July 1st and thought "I'm going to make all these changes" instead of trusting the process and guys in place. I'm not trying to take anything away from Jackson but its not at the expense of Holland.

From the sounds of if we basically had Arvidsson signed since the Dallas series.

Holland was the one that brought in Henrique, Brown and Janmark, retaining those 3 were all likely or took place under Hollands watch (with JJ bringing it across the line).

Full marks to JJ for the Sam O'Reilly and Matt Savoie moves. I think at that point Holland didn't have a whole lot to do with those since they occurred or talks started at the draft.

I also think the Jeff Skinner move was a Jackson one as the new came out around the draft that Buffalo was going to buy him out.

Having said all that, its a lot easier for Jackson to make moves on a winning team that players are willing to take less to play for. Holland inherited a dumpster fire with a handful of good players. I will forever respect what Holland was able to do and bring us to within a couple goals of a stanley cup.

I'm excited to see what Jackson and our new GM are able to do in order to take the next step! Lots of pressure to win it all from this point on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad