Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
There were some rumours a month ago-ish that Bowman was a candidate. Honestly, that would be an utter disaster, but I don't really buy it.
Yeah i don't believe it for a second either. No way someone hires either of those guys reinstated in that quick. Would be a PR nightmare

Reactions: soothsayer

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
it’s clear that whoever is hired will be aligned with the vision but make no mistake Jackson is the architect, he’s drawing up the plans and making the decisions and the GM is the guy who’s just reading the blueprint and building it. Look at how Jackson has operated, he’s hired all the key players before hiring the boss. A new gm won’t be filling any of the critical roles with his own people, won’t pick his PD guy or his analytics guy or the guy heading up amateur scouting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he picked an old guard guy who’s got the skills and experience of managing the day to day of the hockey ops and who’s been dealing with people in the league for a long time and has the connections but not as sharp in an evolved league compared to his heyday. And then he’ll pair that person with a younger, bright up and comer in one of the AGM roles who understands the league today and who will take over in a few years.
I don't see Jackson hiring an old establishment guy. The Oilers just had a Hall of Fame one.

He's been pretty clear about wanting a progressive thinker. NHL experience and familiarity but an innovation driven person embracing modern approaches to development, analytic supported decision making, sports science, contracts and cap management, etc. Strong communicator, negotiator, and consensus builder

It's just reality of the situation that Jackson had to hire this way and in some cases chose to make key management decisions for head coach; development; amateur scouting; and a legitimate analytics person. There's likely some latitude to tweak the existing assistant GM management team and support with holdovers in pro scouting; running the farm system; and capologist functions. A likely younger, developing GM prospect can view this both ways - as you describe or as an exciting opportunity to lead a newly formed strong leadership group with excellent specific experience and expertise.

Jackson is a progressive thinker with a growth mindset. He's moved quickly and decisively away from how this organization functioned under a traditional thinker. The GM gig is really an exciting opportunity to participate and lead in manifesting a well resourced best in class management group for a team with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl pushing to win a Cup.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Jackson would be GM if not for the daily drag of following the team from town to town. Just not his thing. Seems to enjoy and is good at the other aspects of the job. This will be a unique hire, a different GM role than we are used to.

Nice to see that JJ made more positive moves in 3 weeks than the past 3 GMs did in 15 years.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
There were some rumours a month ago-ish that Bowman was a candidate. Honestly, that would be an utter disaster, but I don't really buy it.

I don’t think Bowman was a real rumour to be honest.

So far, JJ hasn’t really leaked anything. Even before July 1 people were frustrated (including myself) that Jackson was sitting on his hands because there wasn’t really much out there. Arvidsson felt like a reality and brown/janmark were rumoured but that was about it.

Then JJ just made deal after deal. The McLeod deal was out of nowhere. The XB deal was out of nowhere.

JJ isn’t telling the media anything.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Now that it is kind of confirmed that our GM won't be a true GM in that Jeff Jackson will be an active CEO and dabble into many of the traditional GM roles, it kind of seems like we are hiring another assistant GM just with an elevated title and bit more responsibilities kind of like an Associate coach.

While there is value in further building out your brain trust, I could see the D coach we hire actually being more impactful on the end product on the ice than our new GM.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don't see Jackson hiring an old establishment guy. The Oilers just had a Hall of Fame one.

He's been pretty clear about wanting a progressive thinker. NHL experience and familiarity but an innovation driven person embracing modern approaches to development, analytic supported decision making, sports science, contracts and cap management, etc. Strong communicator, negotiator, and consensus builder

It's just reality of the situation that Jackson had to hire this way and in some cases chose to make key management decisions for head coach; development; amateur scouting; and a legitimate analytics person. There's likely some latitude to tweak the existing assistant GM management team and support with holdovers in pro scouting; running the farm system; and capologist functions. A likely younger, developing GM prospect can view this both ways - as you describe or as an exciting opportunity to lead a newly formed strong leadership group with excellent specific experience and expertise.

Jackson is a progressive thinker with a growth mindset. He's moved quickly and decisively away from how this organization functioned under a traditional thinker. The GM gig is really an exciting opportunity to participate and lead in manifesting a well resourced best in class management group for a team with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl pushing to win a Cup.
At the end of the pod, Shannon stated again that Mark Hunter fits JJs needs/wants matrix. Also suggested it will be done by end of month.

Interesting.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Probably one of his agent buddies. Someone who are as surprised as him because GM'ing isn't so bloody hard as our past GM's has made it look like it.
Well you know you can't squeeze other GM and I am sure Holland thought that about the contracts he hand out. Campbell was a big one. The 5 million I guess that was the market but why not do a 2 or 3 year contract? Heck if I was a player on a team with Holland as a GM I would ask for the moon. Ask and you shell receive is Holland MO.

At the end of the pod, Shannon stated again that Mark Hunter fits JJs needs/wants matrix. Also suggested it will be done by end of month.

Interesting.
Hunter apparently likes to cheat. Maybe he will follow Vegas and Tampa example and LTIR Kane until the playoffs while adding a good 2 pairing RD

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74 and frag2

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

They’ve had a great offseason so far. It’s been short, it’s been hurried, but I think the small time they’ve been at it, they’ve done great things."
“You know, keeping as many guys together is a good thing in the salary cap area. It’s tough to do that, and he’s done a great job of finding a way to do that, for the most part. Obviously, losing a couple of guys, which is always unfortunate, but unfortunately part of the hockey world we live in.

Interview(s) from golf tournament.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Interesting.
The Hunters must have dirt on Sportsnet or something.

It's only ever their employees that bring them up.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Well you know you can't squeeze other GM and I am sure Holland thought that about the contracts he hand out. Campbell was a big one. The 5 million I guess that was the market but why not do a 2 or 3 year contract? Heck if I was a player on a team with Holland as a GM I would ask for the moon. Ask and you shell receive is Holland MO.

Hunter apparently likes to cheat. Maybe he will follow Vegas and Tampa example and LTIR Kane until the playoffs while adding a good 2 pairing RD
Sports team are either cheating to some degreee or the players are calling each others and teaming up. I'm at a point being okay with the Oilers doing something similar.

Reactions: McSuper and Duke74

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Interesting.
Really enjoyed that podcast. Good insight into JJ's thinking. Reading Phil Jackson's book & learns about George Mumford's mental performance coaching work. Cold contacts him and hires him as a team resource.

Mark Hunter makes some sense. The Central Canada equivalent to Kelly McCrimmon who both are smart, aggressive operations able to essentially strip mine their leagues through savvy trades and all means available to sustain elite junior programs. Owner/operators who can pick their spot if/when they choose to leave their kingdom.

I'm anticipating a cerebral, innovator mindset who is a calculated risk taker based upon information and consensus building leadership. A huge hire at a critical time in this franchise's history. Has been/is interesting for sure.

Last edited:

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
The extent of Hunter’s NHL executive experience consists of being a co-interim GM of a failure of a Leafs team, then being passed over by both Lamiorello and then Dubas.

Jackson wants someone with NHL experience and mentioned specifically looking at assistant GMs from a winning organization.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

North

Jun 25, 2009
Hmmm
The extent of Hunter’s NHL executive experience consists of being a co-interim GM of a failure of a Leafs team, then being passed over by both Lamiorello and then Dubas.

Jackson wants someone with NHL experience and mentioned specifically looking at assistant GMs from a winning organization.
I wonder if we end up with Mathieu Darche.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

When Jackson came in he spoke at length about how much he valued Ken Hollands experience and relationships around the league. I think he would of been open to Holland staying on in the GM role in a well defined capacity but I get the feeling Holland was a bit blindsided by the Jackson hiring and wasn’t willing to essentially be in a position that’s going to be more managerial then decision maker. As I mentioned earlier it’s clear that Jackson and the team he’s put together is going to be driving a lot of the development and roster building decisions and the GM will be tasked with the day to day of hockey ops and making the moves the overarching plan lays out.

I agree with you about the type of GM he wants to hire and I can see your point about how a younger GM would see this opportunity but the flip side of the coin is that this team is right in the middle of its cup window and it’s a risk hiring someone to the GM chair who has little or no experience managing at this level and who doesn’t have the relationships and credibility within the tight knit NHL executives circle. Thats why I suggested I could see a situation where he hires an experienced manager who understands what they need out of him and is ok following the plan laid out but also Jackson would bring in his guy who closely aligns with his strategic vision and who he feels is a smart, up and coming hockey mind but needs time to gain the type of experience and credibility he would gain from working with someone who has been doing it for decades.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Sports team are either cheating to some degreee or the players are calling each others and teaming up. I'm at a point being okay with the Oilers doing something similar.

Everyone does it these days whether its dirty hits, LTIR shenanigans, diving etc. Oilers seem to always want to play this game with high integrity [despite a roster with some questionable players]. It's about time the Oil joined the 'party'

Reactions: Duke74 and Canovin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad