Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A Gagner is the only comparable for me - he would have to know that he wasn't going to be on the big club unless Bouchard was injured. That's literally the only way that Barrie has a use in our system.
Bouchard injury and Barrie can also give Stecher and Brown a run for their money for #3RD/#7 spot.

I think a big part of it is Drai wanting to see whom they bring in as GM.

For example. If it were Benning, I sure as hell wouldn't sign a new deal in his position.
Why would Drai care who the GM is as long as he gets his $$ and term.
The team will be spending to cap every year and the GM could be anyone and not make much difference to Drai. Mark Spector being the only exception

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Barrie seems like something that would happen on PTO if Holland/Woodcroft were still in charge.

Would be more of a favour to the player to get into a NHL training camp/preseason games.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If the Oilers LTIR Kane and bring in another top 4 D at the deadline. I'm not opposed to keeping Nurse, Ceci and also adding Barrie. These guys have been Oilers for sometime now and I want to see them all hoist the cup

The Oilers roster can outscore their problems

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'm having a hard time supporting the Oilers getting a GM.

I mean what has transpired over the last few weeks to me doesn't show me a need for a single point person.

Reactions: ujju2

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Understandable but still kind of disappointing. Watch the new GM go right back to the way our previous GMs ran things.
I don't think there is much worry about that, new GM will have someone competent to oversee him. JJ has set the bar and it's pretty obvious how aggressive he wants the GM job to be run, he's not just going to idle his time away overseeing the burger menu in the restaurants like Nicholson.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I don't think there is much worry about that, new GM will have someone competent to oversee him. JJ has set the bar and it's pretty obvious how aggressive he wants the GM job to be run, he's not just going to idle his time away overseeing the burger menu in the restaurants like Nicholson.
What experienced GM wants to take a job where the boss man is basically babysitting him though?

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
Yeah based on what JJ said seemed pretty positive from the view of someone, who like most wants him to stay as GM, in that he described himself as and "active CEO who will be involved in the day to day".

Reactions: Tarus

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011

I mean what has transpired over the last few weeks to me doesn't show me a need for a single point person.
Honestly, I don't think a ton is going to change. Here's the money quote for me:

“I don’t wanna be the general manager,” Jackson said. “I’m an active CEO, so I’m involved in the day-to-day, but I think being with the team on a daily basis, like a GM has to do, doesn’t work for me and my family, and that’s a discussion I had with [Oilers owner] Darryl Katz right from the get-go.”

Chia and Holland both insisted on having the POHO title alongside the GM title, and they hired their own coaches, scouting directors, etc. Jackson is clearly far more involved than Nicholson was. It sounds like he doesn't want the grind of travelling with the team, but is clearly not taking a step back from decision making. The new GM isn't going to be setting the direction of the organization the way our previous ones did. It sounds like Jackson will retain ultimate decision making authority on most big transactions (e.g. the Draisaitl/McDavid contract). The new GM feels like more of a middle manager to me at this point- responsible for negotiating, doing legwork, but I don't think they'll have ultimate decision making authority.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Have a feeling that JJ will put someone in charge he can oversee. I think he will make the final decision on all hockey ops substantial moves.

GM will just be travelling with team and doing the daily grind.
I thought this originally but didn’t JJ mention they are looking at candidates with lengthy experience?

Reactions: nally

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't think a ton is going to change. Here's the money quote for me:

Yeah I had seen that. I just don't know what GM would want to be in a position where it appears that they're being babysat.

I would have no problem if they went with

2x AGM
2X Captologists (I want countering opinions)

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

TheGingaNinja

Edmonton Ex-Pat who still loves his hometown team.
Sep 26, 2019
Well don’t believe if you don’t want to lol. But I’m telling you using brave is like coming on HF 10 years ago. No adds anywhere and you never lose a post you are trying to make because of a refreshed page. I switched right before FA and will never go back :laugh:
One of the best moves I ever made. The whole internet is far, far less frustrating with this browser. Not having to deal with Chrome memory leaks is another bonus.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The whole hiring of a new GM has sure been something else.

Seems apparent for quite some time that Holland wasn't going to be Jackson's GM, but you have to wait until you replace the current guy.

Now I get there is sometimes some issues with hiring guys away from other teams during the draft and leading into free agency, but it's July 16th. What would realistically be the hold up at this point?

Just seems odd Jackson has pretty much done everything that there is really to do at this point without his new GM to at least be somewhat apart of the process.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017

Maybe JJ just hires a puppet and still pulls the strings 🤔

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The whole hiring of a new GM has sure been something else.

Seems apparent for quite some time that Holland wasn't going to be Jackson's GM, but you have to wait until you replace the current guy.

Now I get there is sometimes some issues with hiring guys away from other teams during the draft and leading into free agency, but it's July 16th. What would realistically be the hold up at this point?

Just seems odd Jackson has pretty much done everything that there is really to do at this point without his new GM to at least be somewhat apart of the process.

Taking 2 weeks to have a search isn't unreasonable, it maybe feels weird because the Oilers in the past have just hired their buddies. Prior to July 1, most teams are not going to give you permission to speak to their staff.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Yeah I had seen that. I just don't know what GM would want to be in a position where it appears that they're being babysat.

I would have no problem if they went with

2x AGM
2X Captologists (I want countering opinions)
It's a fair point, and I do think it probably impacts the candidates they're looking at. Having said that, it's not entirely unheard of- Tulsky has to run almost everything by his owner, and I think Allvin reporting to Rutherford or Treiliving reporting to Burke and then Shanahan are probably in comparable situations.

In his media availabilities Jackson has repeatedly mentioned looking at experienced AGMs from other teams. Going from AGM to GM is still a promotion, and probably comes with a really nice pay bump. I think it's going to be a long time AGM who Jackson thinks is smart, and who is comfortable being Jackson's right hand man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad