Prospect Info: Jakob Pelletier, Left Wing, 26th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Flames front office usually goes on summer vacation during the last part of August probably a factor there.

Likely done before the start of camp.
A week late, but this is the case with most teams, super busy until arbitration finishes, then they can finally take a vacation

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Are we close to giving up on Pelts?. I know after he was drafted a lot of us had high hopes for him. Yes, he's struggled with injuries but when he has played it seems like his play is worsening instead of improving... or at best its been stagnant.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Are we close to giving up on Pelts?. I know after he was drafted a lot of us had high hopes for him. Yes, he's struggled with injuries but when he has played it seems like his play is worsening instead of improving... or at best its been stagnant.

It's a bit early to be giving up on him entirely. He can still be a middle 6 guy, but I don't know if it's going to be here.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It's a bit early to be giving up on him entirely. He can still be a middle 6 guy, but I don't know if it's going to be here.
As many have said, it's a make or break year for Pelletier. If he doesn't show significant improvement this year I think the Flames will drop him... and if the Flames don't think he's good enough... Well with the state of the team right now... That's a pretty low bar. Good luck somewhere else.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
As many have said, it's a make or break year for Pelletier. If he doesn't show significant improvement this year I think the Flames will drop him... and if the Flames don't think he's good enough... Well with the state of the team right now... That's a pretty low bar. Good luck somewhere else.
I agree its a make or break year for him, at least here. It's just how these things go. It's a damn shame he has had so many injury struggles. I really think the story would be different to this point if he'd been relatively healthy.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I agree its a make or break year for him, at least here. It's just how these things go. It's a damn shame he has had so many injury struggles. I really think the story would be different to this point if he'd been relatively healthy.
As a Backlund fan, I expected more patience from you. He's only had 37 NHL games to try and prove himself, many of which were following a shoulder injury. Giving up on Pelts after this season would be like giving up on Backs after 2012-13.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
As a Backlund fan, I expected more patience from you. He's only had 37 NHL games to try and prove himself, many of which were following a shoulder injury. Giving up on Pelts after this season would be like giving up on Backs after 2012-13.

Again, personally I agree with you. If it were up to me I'd keep trying him for the next 10 years lol. I just think maybe more realistically, if he struggles and it doesn't go well I could see this going more the Jankowski direction than the Backlund one. At least as it relates to the Flames.

That said as we are in a rebuild you'd think we can give these guys a longer look. Hopefully thats the case here.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Again, personally I agree with you. If it were up to me I'd keep trying him for the next 10 years lol. I just think maybe more realistically, if he struggles and it doesn't go well I could see this going more the Jankowski direction than the Backlund one. At least as it relates to the Flames.

That said as we are in a rebuild you'd think we can give these guys a longer look. Hopefully thats the case here.
Jankowski did get 2-years post-ELC, but I also think his departure was as much as him wanting to move on as the team because Peters and Geoff Ward simply stopped giving him chances... he also never had any injuries that I recall.

I also think Treliving was happy to get rid of the "best player in the draft" rhetoric that has followed Jankowski.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Jankowski did get 2-years post-ELC, but I also think his departure was as much as him wanting to move on as the team because Peters and Geoff Ward simply stopped giving him chances... he also never had any injuries that I recall.

I also think Treliving was happy to get rid of the "best player in the draft" rhetoric that has followed Jankowski.

My concerns are that he ends up going down the Klimchuk path instead of a Marchessault type career path. I like Pelts more than the next guy, but that is my worry.

I really, really hope he doesn't get totally derailed and has a great career though, but I'm barely getting the optimism I had with Lomberg. I was very hopeful that Lomberg would have a decently long NHL career even before the Panthers clued in on him. I did worry Lomberg's career would be shortened similar to what happened to Bouma though.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

“What happened in the past is in the past,” he said. “You can learn some things from it but for me, it’s to start last year over again. I’m looking forward to turning the page and focusing on what is ahead.”

“I’m really excited to stay here. The team and staff are awesome and can’t wait for the year.

“We got an underdog mindset, it’s an exciting time for us and if we compete hard each night, good things will happen.”

“I trained all May, all June, all July and all August, I didn’t go on vacation,” he explained. “I was rehabbing for four months in the past winter so for me the focus was to get in the best shape ever and I think I did that.

“Coming into the year, staying healthy is the big thing for me and at the end of the day it’s to help the team win no matter what. Maybe some nights it will be producing offensively and other nights it might be getting it done in the d-zone. I just want to give the team the best chance to win each night."

And for those wondering, yes – the Flames version of the ‘French Connection’ is still kicking as Pelletier spent some time this summer training with Jonathan Huberdeau.

As Huby perfectly put it last year during a media avail, ‘gotta take care of my son.’

“I trained with him at least once a week during the summer and actually stayed at his place for a few days,” Pelletier said. “He’s been huge for me in the past two years that he has been here. I saw him train on and off the ice first-hand and think I he’ll have a huge season.

“You look at him and try to pick up things that he’s doing because he’s been playing pro for 10 years now. You try to pick up tips and shadow him and his habits.”

“You learn how to win together and what it takes to win during your time in the AHL,” he said .“You come up together pretty much at the same time and been through all the camps together and push each other to be better.

“It’s great to see the results of that, Wolfie was one of the best goalies in the AHL and now he’s getting his shot in the NHL, Zar as well, and seeing the growth in his game. It’s great go through that together and be here together.”

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I don't know if I want Pelletier to learn anything Huberdeau has teach
d3e2a68c8abacf50abc565abcfadb530.gif

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I couldn't care less about his one great season. Huberdeau has too many flaws.
Would you prefer his 92 point season? Or the year he paced for 93 points? Or maybe the year where he paced for 91? What about him winning the Flames in house reward (JR Bud McCaig Award) for the player showing the most respect, courtesy, and compassion this past season? Just a brutal role medal and pro for young players to follow…

Was either a brutal take, or more likely just trying to be edgy. It didn’t work.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Would you prefer his 92 point season? Or the year he paced for 93 points? Or maybe the year where he paced for 91? What about him winning the Flames in house reward (JR Bud McCaig Award) for the player showing the most respect, courtesy, and compassion this past season? Just a brutal role medal and pro for young players to follow…

Was either a brutal take, or more likely just trying to be edgy. It didn’t work.

You realize he also has the record for the largest point drop in NHL history right? My point has nothing to do with point totals and that award means nothing. Pelletier doesn't need help being a better person, he needs help developing into a better player. You seem to be very upset that I have a different opinion.

Reactions: MM917

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
You realize he also has the record for the largest point drop in NHL history right? My point has nothing to do with point totals and that award means nothing. Pelletier doesn't need help being a better person, he needs help developing into a better player. You seem to be very upset that I have a different opinion.
Yes, him having a fall from grace must mean he’s a terrible teacher and person, and one our prospects should be stay away from. We should pay no note to the successes he’s had in the NHL, and the tough path he had to get there.

I’ve displayed no emotions so far, just pointing out it’s a pretty bad opinion. Do you usually call people emotional for disagreeing with you or do you try to defend your opinion more?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Yes, him having a fall from grace must mean he’s a terrible teacher and person, and one our prospects should be stay away from. We should pay no note to the successes he’s had in the NHL, and the tough path he had to get there.

I’ve displayed no emotions so far, just pointing out it’s a pretty bad opinion. Do you usually call people emotional for disagreeing with you or usually defend your opinion?

I never called him either of those things or said that is what should be done. A propped up one trick pony isn't going to be the best guy to learn from for a prospect in a make or break season and his past point totals aren't going to convince me otherwise because I've watched Huberdeau play.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I never called him either of those things or said that is what should be done. A propped up one trick pony isn't going to be the best guy to learn from for a prospect in a make or break season and his past point totals aren't going to convince me otherwise because I've watched Huberdeau play.
You quite literally said “I don’t want Pelletier to learn anything Huberdeau has to teach”. Back track all you want, it was a bad take.

If Pelletier becomes a defensively flawed point per game player we would be collectively thrilled at what he became. Huberdeau’s perseverance and positive qualities as a human are exactly what Pelletier should be striving for, sounds like the two even worked out together fairly often over the offseason as well.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
You quite literally said “I don’t want Pelletier to learn anything Huberdeau has to teach”. Back track all you want, it was a bad take.

If Pelletier becomes a defensively flawed point per game player we would be collectively thrilled at what he became. Huberdeau’s perseverance and positive qualities as a human are exactly what Pelletier should be striving for, sounds like the two even worked out together fairly often over the offseason as well.

I didn't backtrack anything. Not wanting him to learn what Huberdeau has to teach isn't the same as calling Huberdeau a terrible teacher. Flashy passes and spin moves isn't going to be the different in Pelletier being able to grab a spot on the team this season. You keep trying to make my argument into something it isn't.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I didn't backtrack anything. Not wanting him to learn what Huberdeau has to teach isn't the same as calling Huberdeau a terrible teacher. Flashy passes and spin moves isn't going to be the different in Pelletier being able to grab a spot on the team this season. You keep trying to make my argument into something it isn't.
And you saying all Huberdeau has to offer in a mentorship role is flashy passes and spin moves is thoroughly reductionist, and flawed from the start. Sorry if me quoting you is misrepresenting your point though?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
And you saying all Huberdeau has to offer in a mentorship role is flashy passes and spin moves is thoroughly reductionist, and flawed from the start. Sorry if me quoting you is misrepresenting your point though?
I think you misunderstood his post. What he meant was that he is upset that the Huberdeau move hasn't worked out, but it makes him feel slightly better about it if he vilifies Huberdeau as a player and person online.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014

“What happened in the past is in the past,” he said. “You can learn some things from it but for me, it’s to start last year over again. I’m looking forward to turning the page and focusing on what is ahead.”

“I’m really excited to stay here. The team and staff are awesome and can’t wait for the year.

“We got an underdog mindset, it’s an exciting time for us and if we compete hard each night, good things will happen.”

“I trained all May, all June, all July and all August, I didn’t go on vacation,” he explained. “I was rehabbing for four months in the past winter so for me the focus was to get in the best shape ever and I think I did that.

“Coming into the year, staying healthy is the big thing for me and at the end of the day it’s to help the team win no matter what. Maybe some nights it will be producing offensively and other nights it might be getting it done in the d-zone. I just want to give the team the best chance to win each night."

And for those wondering, yes – the Flames version of the ‘French Connection’ is still kicking as Pelletier spent some time this summer training with Jonathan Huberdeau.

As Huby perfectly put it last year during a media avail, ‘gotta take care of my son.’

“I trained with him at least once a week during the summer and actually stayed at his place for a few days,” Pelletier said. “He’s been huge for me in the past two years that he has been here. I saw him train on and off the ice first-hand and think I he’ll have a huge season.

“You look at him and try to pick up things that he’s doing because he’s been playing pro for 10 years now. You try to pick up tips and shadow him and his habits.”

“You learn how to win together and what it takes to win during your time in the AHL,” he said .“You come up together pretty much at the same time and been through all the camps together and push each other to be better.

“It’s great to see the results of that, Wolfie was one of the best goalies in the AHL and now he’s getting his shot in the NHL, Zar as well, and seeing the growth in his game. It’s great go through that together and be here together.”

Definitely exciting. I really hope he is able to take off and move past the injuries. Just a regular NHL career and I'd be so happy for him.

My concern is that there are too many injuries.

I couldn't care less about his one great season. Huberdeau has too many flaws.

What are you expecting out of a smaller player drafted 26OA? Not to mention a player that was projected higher, but fell due to injuries to 26OA. If we can get a flawed 2OA lite of of him, we should be elated. If we get a Mangiapane out of him, we should also be elated.

We are doing OK when compared to the next 5 draft picks after him. Obviously, it would have been nice to have a runaway awesome pick like Pinto, Kaliyev, Vlasic or Hoglander etc. in the next round. Honestly speaking, Pelletier would still be OK if he wasn't missing so many games and slowed in his development due to injuries. He's currently 37 NHL GP and could probably have 3-4x more if it wasn't for that (Approx 1.5 seasons under his belt vs 0.45 NHL seasons equivalent).

It seems like your expectations are a bit out of whack. This isn't even like drafting Turcotte at 5 and watching it derail hard due to injuries.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
What are you expecting out of a smaller player drafted 26OA? Not to mention a player that was projected higher, but fell due to injuries to 26OA. If we can get a flawed 2OA lite of of him, we should be elated. If we get a Mangiapane out of him, we should also be elated.

We are doing OK when compared to the next 5 draft picks after him. Obviously, it would have been nice to have a runaway awesome pick like Pinto, Kaliyev, Vlasic or Hoglander etc. in the next round. Honestly speaking, Pelletier would still be OK if he wasn't missing so many games and slowed in his development due to injuries. He's currently 37 NHL GP and could probably have 3-4x more if it wasn't for that (Approx 1.5 seasons under his belt vs 0.45 NHL seasons equivalent).

It seems like your expectations are a bit out of whack. This isn't even like drafting Turcotte at 5 and watching it derail hard due to injuries.

I've always thought Pelletier's ceiling was a two-way playmaker middle 6 guy so I don't know where or how I gave the impression I thought he would turn into more. I just don't think the skills he needs to focus on developing in order to fill that role are going to be best developed by training with a guy who doesn't have any of those qualities in his skillset. My projection of him is a sort of playmaker instead of shooter version of Mangiapane with the takeaway ability of a poor man's Mark Stone. He'd be better off spending the summer with Backlund or Coleman even though he's become better friends with Huberdeau. Getting Huberdeau lite out of him would be very disappointing to me.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
I've always thought Pelletier's ceiling was a two-way playmaker middle 6 guy so I don't know where or how I gave the impression I thought he would turn into more. I just don't think the skills he needs to focus on developing in order to fill that role are going to be best developed by training with a guy who doesn't have any of those qualities in his skillset. My projection of him is a sort of playmaker instead of shooter version of Mangiapane with the takeaway ability of a poor man's Mark Stone. He'd be better off spending the summer with Backlund or Coleman even though he's become better friends with Huberdeau. Getting Huberdeau lite out of him would be very disappointing to me.

I don't ever recall Pelts as a 2 way guy being a projection. I always thought it was an energy middle 6 who could chip in points and wasn't a total defensive liability which is different than 2 way).

I agree that Coleman might be a better guy to emulate than Huberdeau if we want a middle 6 defensively responsible guy. However, I don't seem to recall that being his projection in his draft year. He was mentioned as an energy guy cross between Gallagher and Marchand.

If his development path has gone heavily into 2 way territory, I totally agree with you that play maker Mangiapane makes sense, as is getting Coleman to mentor him. However, I am not totally sure if that's the appropriate evaluation for him or the appropriate path for him if he wants a longer NHL career. If diminutive defensive minded winger is indeed incorrect, then IMO it's risking doing Baertschi 2.0 on Pelts. Heck, one could even say that it'd be the same risk of breaking Huberdeau by demanding that 2 way game of him vs asking him to focus on offense at an ultra high level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad