Proposal: Justin Barron (MTL) for Peyton Krebs (BUF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres won't do it because he was part of the Eichel deal. I might. Sabres have not used Krebs properly. He played a couple of dozen games last year, and he failed mostly, but he has great passing talent. For whatever reason, Sabres think he should be a fourth-line scrapper.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Montreal has no room for Krebs and Buffalo has no room for Barron. Barron doesn't even fit what Buffalo might want apart from being a RD and Krebs doesn't even fit what Montreal would want apart from being a center.

Yeah. It's the right sort of idea in generally, but specifically...it just doesn't really work for either team. The Sabres desperately need a more responsible, defensive-oriented RD...not another offensive-minded guy. The Habs need a bona fide #1C...they've already got a ton of clutter when it comes to Bottom-6/9 Forwards who are just trying to make it and find a "role".

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
What are people's thoughts on a Barron for Krebs swap?

Krebs is currently an un-signed RFA and might be the 13th/14th forward in Buffalo right now.

Barron hasn't managed to find his footing yet in Montreal.

There isn't an obvious spot for Krebs right now in Montreal's lineup either. But they are likely moving on from Dvorak soon, and Evans might also price himself out of Montreal on his first UFA deal.

I also don't mind the idea of shifting Krebs to the wing to give guys like Armia, Gallagher and Anderson the night off.

Is Barron a potential fit in Buffalo?

Is there potential for a deal here?
Big , skilled , smooth skating defensemen who shoot right are a rarity in the NHL . I suspect the coaching staff will be working hard with Barron to teach him to be more physically and defensively assertive in his own end and add a little nasty to his game . While we all agree that rushing prospects can be a huge mistake , we should also understand that moving on from them too soon can be just as detrimental . All that to say no to your proposal .

Reactions: CTHabsfan

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
There is a fair chance Barron might be traded. We will see what it returns. I think Hughes is going to be patient.

Makes no sense to trade him for a 2nd rounder. If it ends up being a 2nd rounder, it will be tagged with a Prospect that is B+ rating at a min. Barron is underrated on the internet due to how much Habs fans and media are bouncing his name around. All he is lacking is maturity

Disagreements are fine. It's how others act in disagreements by throwing insults around. That I have no time for
If Hughes trades Barron for a 1st... No complaints form me. Thus far, he's earned my respect. Luckily we both cheer for the same side here!

Reactions: Habs Halifax

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't see why the Sabers do this, I haven't seen Krebs since the draft but I did think the Habs were in on had Caufield not dropped to them.

Barron when sent down to Laval last year looked like total shit defensively. He's got the size, skating, mobility and offense to stick in the NHL but his defense is terrible. Since he was a 1st round pick I think he would easily get picked off waivers but I doubt it would matter if he was.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Too soon to move on from Barron. He’s a good D, good hockey sense, 3rd RD in our depth chart when we move on from Savard. He has the tools to be a good, not great, PMD if he cleans the dumb mistakes out of his game.

Reactions: habsfan44

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Sabres won't do it because he was part of the Eichel deal. I might. Sabres have not used Krebs properly. He played a couple of dozen games last year, and he failed mostly, but he has great passing talent. For whatever reason, Sabres think he should be a fourth-line scrapper.
I doubt the Sabres are married to Krebs for any reason considering he could pretty easily be signed for 2/3M max and they haven't bothered to sign him.

The organization hasn't shoehorned him into a 4th line role. Krebs has had the opportunity to work in the top 6 and simply has performed poorly. Basically a top 6 or bust player that isn't good enough for the top 6 so has tried to change his game to keep an NHL job and frankly, isn't very effective on the 4th line either. Could possibly have success in the right situation but that situation is not clear.

Reactions: Eegs

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
A 1st? I doubt he even gets you a late round first. Maybe at deadline.
Barron really isn't the type of player getting moved at TDL for a late 1st-round pick. He will either have established himself as a good NHL player by then, in which case he won't be traded, or he will show he's someone who will just be a third-pairing/7th d-man, which isn't going to generate much of a return at deadline.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Barron really isn't the type of player getting moved at TDL for a late 1st-round pick. He will either have established himself as a good NHL player by then, in which case he won't be traded, or he will show he's someone who will just be a third-pairing/7th d-man, which isn't going to generate much of a return at deadline.
I agree. I highly doubt they would get that. It's hard for people to accept, but the value of picks drops fast as the likely NHL production shows its face.

The draft is like buying options. The closer they get to being out the money, the more value goes down. Podkolzin (10th overall) for a 4th rounder is a case in point. He's from the 2019 draft, and he's done nothing in NHL. Imagine Podzolkin's value in the summer of 2019 right after draft. High. But it's 2024.

Kreb isn't worth much. Maybe a 3rd. For every Tage Thompson who figured his game out four years after his draft, the road is littered with 100 other guys who won't.

Barron is a D, so he gets a longer curve, but he's a 2020 draft and not projecting more t beyond a third-line D. He's 22. His possession stats are nothing special. He doesn't have any really nasty factor. He's worth a late second or early third.

You do this deal because one side sees something, maybe no one else does.

Reactions: montreal

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
value wise it looks fair but we need RD more we have nothing after Mailloux and Reinbacher
Yes, but when you have 2 young Dmen on the right side (be it this year or next), is it wise to bet on another young guy? Might be wise to have a veteran. If Savard isn't returning in 25/26, leaves Matheson as the only true experienced guy and then it would be Guhle who only has 114 games so far, so would be under 200 at the end of the season. Then there are X and Barron who are in the 80-90 something range right now and Struble at like 40 games. Very inexperienced group. They have to mature quickly if MTL is going to add more kids to the lineup in 25/26. Otherwise, they do need to get a vet or 2.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Barron's lack of games in the NHL is due to our depth on D. Habs choose to have him play AHL to work on his game and fans/media now think he sucks.

First of all, let me say I personally like Barron and think he's quite underrated, (on the Habs board) but I think this statement is absurd.

The Canadiens last season had a gaping hole on the right side of their defence and Barron was given a prime opportunity to fill it, and he failed, largely due to to a lack of consistency and concentration lapses in his own zone.

To say he was held back by depth on D is just simply false. The Canadiens were paper thin on the right side and Barron stumbled when given a prime opportunity to step in for a job.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
First of all, let me say I personally like Barron and think he's quite underrated, (on the Habs board) but I think this statement is absurd.

The Canadiens last season had a gaping hole on the right side of their defence and Barron was given a prime opportunity to fill it, and he failed, largely due to to a lack of consistency and concentration lapses in his own zone.

To say he was held back by depth on D is just simply false. The Canadiens were paper thin on the right side and Barron stumbled when given a prime opportunity to step in and in a job.
It's a monster year for Barron, as well as for X and Struble. They need to establish themselves as solid NHLers this season (to the point where these 3 can play together and allow Matheson and Guhle to pair up with a rookie in 25/26 to help them, or these guys are good enough to play with a rookie in 25/26). They can't just be passable in the NHL given that there is another wave of Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux right behind them. If they don't, I don't think there's enough spots for the Habs to roll with them vs going out and adding veterans to supplement the new kids.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

To say he was held back by depth on D is just simply false. The Canadiens were paper thin on the right side and Barron stumbled when given a prime opportunity to step in and in a job.

If you can't make a non-playoff team, how good are you? Seriously. Depth? Montreal was not very good. I heard the same thing about Ryan Johnson. One million excuses. If both guys are special, they force you to put them on the team. Both guys are okay. Third pair guys who will get a few years in the league.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
I wouldn't trade Barron at this moment. Wait to see how Barron and the rest of the defence plays into camp this season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wouldn't trade Barron at this moment. Wait to see how Barron and the rest of the defence plays into camp this season.
Habs Defence at the moment, I would break down as follows:

Savard, Matheson - true NHL vets (30 years plus with hundreds of games played)
Guhle - 22, the first of the young group that MTL believes in since they gave him a 6 year deal a year early
X, Struble, Barron - X & Barron are on prove it bridge deals with basically a fully season of NHL games under their belt, while Struble in the final elc year with half a season of NHL games played.
Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux - raw NHL rookies, with basically no NHL experience

That is 9 guys for 6 starting spots and maybe the 7th role (if the Habs plan to rotate the bottom 4 players and not sit anyone longer than 2-3 games in a row).

Habs have to decide how to develop the 7 younger guys.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Barron is the proverbial youngster that has the tools, but no toolbox.

Last year, at the beginning of the season, he was with Guhle the best habs defensemen duo for a few games.

He's really similar to guys like Petry and Matheson, he has it all but lacks in terms of mental toughness.

He's fragile mentally but when he's on his game, he plays like a 1st pair defenseman, but when he's not he plays like dog shit.

The problem is when he loose it he has a hard time getting his confidence back. It can take months..

Petry was like that.

But personally, I have zero interest in Krebs.

He's smallish, he doesn't have a clear identity and he's older than Barron, as a forward.

Defensemen takes longer to develop so I have more faith in Barron than Krebs.

Barron has more tools and he's a RHD, a more sought after position.

Last edited:
Reactions: billy piton

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If Hughes trades Barron for a 1st... No complaints form me. Thus far, he's earned my respect. Luckily we both cheer for the same side here!
Isn’t Barron one of those guys who is headed to being like Juulsson? Just an AHL/NHL guy who has little value? If Krebs is the same, then it’s a fair trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad