Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That would be great. Fine line there though.

Would you say JJ collaborated with Holland this past year or baby sat him?
I'm sure they collaborated somewhat. At the end of the day Jackson had his fingers involved right from the start. Was only a few weeks before Wright disappeared and Jackson brought in his own guy, among other hires.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
What experienced GM wants to take a job where the boss man is basically babysitting him though?
Jackson's going to hire someone that has shared philosophies and is a team player within their management structure. He demonstrated that through the Draft and Free Agency which he credited the function management leaders for guiding them through. Probably the best evidence is following through on Pracey's request to move into the 1st round to snag O'Reilly. Huge trust in his staffer to follow through.

JJ has steadily build his strategic vision, identified management functions to change or upgrade (Head Coach, Director Amateur Scouting, senior Analytics support function, Development), and due to circumstances their reality is the GM position is the remaining big piece to fill.

I don't perceive anything in his career history suggests micromanagement tendencies other than an awkward transitional collaboration with Holland and his expiring contract.

This is a big money franchise that won't cut on financial corners, was 2 goals from a Stanley Cup, and McDavid and his running mate in prime years. Incredible opportunity for the right fit on experience, innovative mindset, and collaborative, team player.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Sounds like the GM position will be more suitable for an up and comer as opposed to an established i.e. complacent type of veteran guy. I'll be quite pleased as a fan if Jackson stays involved and remains the key holder on all decisions, because frankly we can't go back to the shite front offices and the three ring circus shows we've endured.

The game has changed, there are far more analytic tools to utilize and take advantage of, and it demands someone who embraces that. Please let it not be some crusty, complacent veteran GM getting yet another kick at the can here.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

I think JJ was hired to find a replacement for Holland, not work with him.

Holland is the first GM Katz has let run out their contract since he bought the team, and it's reasonable to say that Holland was a lame duck GM the entire last year of his contract. So it's not too surprising there are some rumors that Holland is upset how things ended in Edmonton.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's a fair point, and I do think it probably impacts the candidates they're looking at. Having said that, it's not entirely unheard of- Tulsky has to run almost everything by his owner, and I think Allvin reporting to Rutherford or Treiliving reporting to Burke and then Shanahan are probably in comparable situations.

In his media availabilities Jackson has repeatedly mentioned looking at experienced AGMs from other teams. Going from AGM to GM is still a promotion, and probably comes with a really nice pay bump. I think it's going to be a long time AGM who Jackson thinks is smart, and who is comfortable being Jackson's right hand man.
To add, I don't know that Jackson has to be involved as much as he is now once he gets someone that actually follows the template that he is going to be laying out for this organization.

As great as this team was last year, Jackson has identified holes that shouldn't have been there all along. Finding a like minded individual should eventually ease how much Jackson has to be involved.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Have a feeling that JJ will put someone in charge he can oversee. I think he will make the final decision on all hockey ops substantial moves.

GM will just be travelling with team and doing the daily grind.
Seravalli says JJ wants a GM that shares the same vision that he and Knoblauch do so does it really sound like a GM who believes he will be the #1 man or a GM who is an assistant?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

STL do I have a deal for you. You get a guy who just played 20+ during a Stanley Cup finals run and couple of picks for injured Krug.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

STL do I have a deal for you. You get a guy who just played 20+ during a Stanley Cup finals run and couple of picks for injured Krug.

St. Louis will be ecstatic. They've wanted to shift their cap expenditures away from their expensive d-corp to more balance with the rest of their lineup. LTIR Krug will help that. But probably alleviates any consideration from moving Parayko now that they've unstuck their overspend on an old, trade protection d-corp.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Bouchard injury and Barrie can also give Stecher and Brown a run for their money for #3RD/#7 spot.

Why would Drai care who the GM is as long as he gets his $$ and term.
The team will be spending to cap every year and the GM could be anyone and not make much difference to Drai. Mark Spector being the only exception
Because the GM is in charge of building the team, and if Drai doesn't think our GM will build a winner, there's an outside chance (very outside) that it affects his decision somewhat.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Barrie especially.

Why wouldn't this team want an undersized, one dimensional (a dimension we don't need at that) player that can't skate or defend playing D for us?

these guys forget what happened yesterday before tomorrow even arrives... they wanna run the only decent sub 6M defensive D here out of town and replace them with old undersized 1 way offensive D.

does everybody forget what happens when you run too many ndersized D, or too many young D, or too many old D, or too many offensive D? We've done it all here at one time or another and its mostly a recipe for disaster.

Nobody wins without able bodied prime aged D who can play strong defence.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
It's honestly kinda weird to have an actual GM search and not just hiring the first name in Bob Nicholson's Hockey Canada rolodex.

We did a real GM search last time! A very thorough process from what I've heard! We just threw the results in the trash and hired Ken Holland when he came available.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

IMO definitely collaborated. Sounds like he took the lead on a couple major decisions that he felt strongly about, but otherwise had a lot to learn from Holland and let him handle much of it on his own. On days where the biggest decisions were being made, he was there and his presence was felt. Thats my take. It led to a funny press conference at one point, but Holland was handling things on his own so much that he spoke authoritatively on something Jackson actually wanted to have the final word about (and did).

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
IMO definitely collaborated. Sounds like he took the lead on a couple major decisions that he felt strongly about, but otherwise had a lot to learn from Holland and let him handle much of it on his own. On days where the biggest decisions were being made, he was there and his presence was felt. Thats my take. It led to a funny press conference at one point, but Holland was handling things on his own so much that he spoke authoritatively on something Jackson actually wanted to have the final word about (and did).
Maybe Holland had control of the short term things like the TDL. The TDL seemed very Ken Holland. JJ the longer term things.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
St. Louis will be ecstatic. They've wanted to shift their cap expenditures away from their expensive d-corp to more balance with the rest of their lineup. LTIR Krug will help that. But probably alleviates any consideration from moving Parayko now that they've unstuck their overspend on an old, trade protection d-corp.
Nurse with $2M retained for parayko would work really nicely for all involved

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Given what JJ has done, and looks to be doing, I don't see any reason for anyone to be concerned about him bringing in someone to take over as GM.

I'm excited about it. Does anyone actually think he'll bring in Jim Benning and let him loose? Come on, now.

Reactions: guymez and Oilhawks

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
it’s clear that whoever is hired will be aligned with the vision but make no mistake Jackson is the architect, he’s drawing up the plans and making the decisions and the GM is the guy who’s just reading the blueprint and building it. Look at how Jackson has operated, he’s hired all the key players before hiring the boss. A new gm won’t be filling any of the critical roles with his own people, won’t pick his PD guy or his analytics guy or the guy heading up amateur scouting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he picked an old guard guy who’s got the skills and experience of managing the day to day of the hockey ops and who’s been dealing with people in the league for a long time and has the connections but not as sharp in an evolved league compared to his heyday. And then he’ll pair that person with a younger, bright up and comer in one of the AGM roles who understands the league today and who will take over in a few years.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Its kinda crazy they expect to hire a GM in the next weel yet no names have been leaked as a front runner yet..
There were some rumours a month ago-ish that Bowman was a candidate. Honestly, that would be an utter disaster, but I don't really buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad