Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Ive been out of the loop for a couple of weeks, has there been any indication one way or another about Draisaitl or Bouchard signing?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Ive been out of the loop for a couple of weeks, has there been any indication one way or another about Draisaitl or Bouchard signing?
Bouch probably not until next summer. RFA so no rush, and it's not like his value can go up much more than it already is.

For Drai, likely happens after new GM in place/ Connor's wedding. Some suggesting 8 years, yesterday there was a rumour it could be 3-5 years so he can cash in once more after.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
1721138478413.png

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bouch probably not until next summer. RFA so no rush, and it's not like his value can go up much more than it already is.

For Drai, likely happens after new GM in place/ Connor's wedding. Some suggesting 8 years, yesterday there was a rumour it could be 3-5 years so he can cash in once more after.
That and Leon just went on a trip to Spain to get engaged. I don't think he's really in much of a hurry.

The main focus with the quick turnaround from playing games to offseason was getting those UFA's locked up.

I don't doubt that Jackson will be apart of the signings of Leon, but Struds was saying if guys are signing long-term deals they probably want a new GM in place before signing. With a guy like Leon I don't know that it matters too much, but Struds was saying guys hate to sign long-term deals only to find out a new GM is coming in with a new vision.

Bouchard is probably in a similar boat as well as he's a pretty high end player too and I'm sure a new GM would view him as a part of the long term future

Reactions: smokersarejokers

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
It's been raining bullshit in Oilerland for 20 years, don't be so sure the forecast of sunshine and lollipops is 100% accurate. I'd like to see a bunch more positives heading into this season. Real positives, not bullshit spin positives. This latest transaction seems like an admission our previous management was complete bullshit.
What more exactly do you want to see? There's been several solid moves this off season already.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I have to laugh at those pining for Barrie and Larsson, unless your Mark Recchi retreads never work out.

Barrie especially.

Why wouldn't this team want an undersized, one dimensional (a dimension we don't need at that) player that can't skate or defend playing D for us?

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
That and Leon just went on a trip to Spain to get engaged. I don't think he's really in much of a hurry.

The main focus with the quick turnaround from playing games to offseason was getting those UFA's locked up.

I don't doubt that Jackson will be apart of the signings of Leon, but Struds was saying if guys are signing long-term deals they probably want a new GM in place before signing. With a guy like Leon I don't know that it matters too much, but Struds was saying guys hate to sign long-term deals only to find out a new GM is coming in with a new vision.

Bouchard is probably in a similar boat as well as he's a pretty high end player too and I'm sure a new GM would view him as a part of the long term future
Exactly. I'm sure Leon's agent is aware of JJ's short list for GM, but it doesn't make sense for either side really to make a deal until someone is in place.

Let Leon and Celeste enjoy their Europe trip, Connor's wedding, etc and then hammer something out in August.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Barrie especially.

Why wouldn't this team want an undersized, one dimensional (a dimension we don't need at that) player that can't skate or defend playing D for us?
I got time for Barrie on PTO.
The team loves him and he would be insurance on the right side ala Gagner last season up front.

Reactions: AlanHUK

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I got time for Barrie on PTO.
The team loves him and he would be insurance on the right side ala Gagner last season up front.

I'd be ok with him as purely depth insurance at league minimum, assuming he's ok with Bakersfield deployment if need be.

It's more the commentary I've seen around suggesting him as a Ceci replacement that makes me shake my head.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

The only one spouting 3-5 years is Pagnotta and 4th period never gets anything right I would trust Seravelli before anyone else

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The only one spouting 3-5 years is Pagnotta and 4th period never gets anything right I would trust Seravelli before anyone else
I trust Frank more too, however, over the last 5 years Pagnotta has been credited many times as being the first to report something.

He started as kind of a phony, almost Eklund level, but seems to have built legitimate sources since.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I'd give a PTO to clutterbuck. 273 hits with only 32 penalty minutes, the only problem is his age/speed. If they didn't have Ryan I'd be happy with the oilers switching between clutterbuck/perry on the 4th line RW.

Reactions: oil Leaks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd give a PTO to clutterbuck. 273 hits with only 32 penalty minutes, the only problem is his age/speed. If they didn't have Ryan I'd be happy with the oilers switching between clutterbuck/perry on the 4th line RW.
He's interesting, but there are a lot of guys out there in a similar spot I might have higher up the list.

Barabanov, Bellemare and Matt Martin I would have about him. Martin actually had decent fancies

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Blades had to trade for Armstrong because Chiasson didn't return per release after he 'accepted assignment in the East Coast Hockey League.' Blades Make Pair of Significant Trades on the Way to Edmonton

Blades gave up beaucoup draft assets to acquire Chiasson looking at spreading the investment over two playoff runs. Defaulted to Armstrong when the Oilers placed Chiasson weirdly in the ECHL.

EDIT: Just to add how different Chiasson might be perceived instead of floundering at minor pro competition a kid with 113 WHL games over his last three junior seasons (injury and covid reduced) had gone back to a strong junior team that pushed to top of WHL standings and an amazing 7 game series against the league's champion. Poor decision to push this green banana to pro.
It’s really something seeing how differently Chiasson and Stefan are perceived right now, just based on where they spent last year. They’re the same age, and their 22/23 season stat lines are relatively close(Chiasson had 59pts in 70 games, Stefan had 64 in 64). But Stefan went back to junior as an overage versus Chiasson being pushed into the pros, and now Stefan is being viewed as a found money prospect versus Chiasson as a total bust. I’m not trying to start an argument of who’s better, but I do think it would be interesting how Chiasson would be looked at right now if he had been returned to junior last season and put up 90+ points in the WHL. It definitely does reinforce my believe that 20 year olds should never be in the ECHL and are much better served going back and dominating their overage year in junior. It surprises me teams don’t use that path more often.

EDIT: it’s probably going to be a relevant discussion again this year coming out of training camp with what they do with Stonehouse.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It’s really something seeing how differently Chiasson and Stefan are perceived right now, just based on where they spent last year. They’re the same age, and their 22/23 season stat lines are relatively close(Chiasson had 59pts in 70 games, Stefan had 64 in 64). But Stefan went back to junior as an overage versus Chiasson being pushed into the pros, and now Stefan is being viewed as a found money prospect versus Chiasson as a total bust. I’m not trying to start an argument of who’s better, but I do think it would be interesting how Chiasson would be looked at right now if he had been returned to junior last season and put up 90+ points in the WHL. It definitely does reinforce my believe that 20 year olds should never be in the ECHL and are much better served going back and dominating their overage year in junior. It surprises me teams don’t use that path more often.

EDIT: it’s probably going to be a relevant discussion again this year coming out of training camp with what they do with Stonehouse.
Absolutely! Perspective is everything and why a quick rush to judgement on superficial impressions can lead to faulty conclusions.

Chiasson and Stefan are two different player types. The former is a big body two-way player who lost significant, critical junior age development through injury and covid short seasons. There's a decent pro body and play style there. Moving him to pro was way premature. Stefan is a slight skill guy who ran with an age 20 season on a very good team to fill the net. Worth a free agent signing to see if his finishing ability (and family pedigree) translates into a diamond in the rough.

Oil tried during the decade of darkness to do pro development over return to junior option on several prospects which all stalled their development or in the case of Tyler Picklick took him years to become a viable NHL player.

Chiasson should have been returned to junior.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden

Thanks!

About the gm, I saw someone else comment the same thing, doesnt it feel like Jackson should handle that negotiation?
Wouldnt it be weird to bring in a new gm who doesnt know the player or the org whatsoever and have him negotiate the biggest contract in franchise history (Until McDavid is up)?
Im sure Jackson will be a part of it regardless but would they even need a new gm for that negotiation?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Thanks!

About the gm, I saw someone else comment the same thing, doesnt it feel like Jackson should handle that negotiation?
Wouldnt it be weird to bring in a new gm who doesnt know the player or the org whatsoever and have him negotiate the biggest contract in franchise history (Until McDavid is up)?
Im sure Jackson will be a part of it regardless but would they even need a new gm for that negotiation?

I think a big part of it is Drai wanting to see whom they bring in as GM.

For example. If it were Benning, I sure as hell wouldn't sign a new deal in his position.

Reactions: Gnome17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad