Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The problem with the bolded is that too many player are working under the paradigm that the more I get the more it lifts everyone's boat. Their agents seem to feed on this. Swayman may well feel he should squeeze every penny he can out of the Bruins. But he is not doing it for other players. If he takes an extra million that is a million that is not available for his team mates or even everyone else in the league as there is a capped pot locally and a fixed pot globally.

It is ASTONISHING how often this needs to be pointed out to people, and then still trot out the old line of "the union won't let them sign that deal".

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
what if Neighbours wants the security of an 8 year deal?
The compensation would be too big if we send him an offersheet of 8 years. You're looking at 4x1sts and if the AVV is low enough for 8 years. St. Louis would match.

Only way we can steal their player is we get a 3rd team involved. One sends an offersheet to someone like Snuggerud and we send an offersheet to Dvorsky making it extemely difficult for St. Louis to match

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The compensation would be too big if we send him an offersheet of 8 years. You're looking at 4x1sts and if the AVV is low enough for 8 years. St. Louis would match.

Only way we can steal their player is we get a 3rd team involved. One sends an offersheet to someone like Snuggerud and we send an offersheet to Dvorsky making it extemely difficult for St. Louis to match
I am not even trying to get the player, I wouldn't offer sheet just to offersheet.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Good interview with GMTrotz with his thoughts on today's young players and dealing with his own prospect goaltender who demanded a trade. Starts at 35:00 mark

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
It is ASTONISHING how often this needs to be pointed out to people, and then still trot out the old line of "the union won't let them sign that deal".
But it's wrong.

That's not how a free market works. the amount of money available is not what not drives these negotiations and it's a fallacy to believe that if a player takes a million dollars less, it now leaves a million dollars for someone else. what it actually does is take a million dollars out the pocket of a comparable player because the market has shifted. That's why the Union and the player agents convince their players to max out if possible.

It no different than the real estate market. What is a house worth? it's worth whatever someone will pay for it, and any subsequent comparable house is now worth the same, and the owner can ask a similar price to sell it. How much money the buyer has is irrelevant.

the only time true "discounts" can actually be a thing without messing with market is the truly elite players who don't have legitimate comparables since an agent can't use them to compare their clients to.

Look at what Seth Jones did to Edmonton's cap space, he became the comparable Nurses's agent used to leverage a massive overpay, and the market has since corrected. But the Oilers are still stuck with that.

The salary cap does not matter, a player is worth whatever a team is willing to pay, which will always cause market chaos.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
But it's wrong.

That's not how a free market works. the amount of money available is not what not drives these negotiations and it's a fallacy to believe that if a player takes a million dollars less, it now leaves a million dollars for someone else. what it actually does is take a million dollars out the pocket of a comparable player because the market has shifted. That's why the Union and the player agents convince their players to max out if possible.

It no different than the real estate market. What is a house worth? it's worth whatever someone will pay for it, and any subsequent comparable house is now worth the same, and the owner can ask a similar price to sell it. How much money the buyer has is irrelevant.

the only time true "discounts" can actually be a thing without messing with market is the truly elite players who don't have legitimate comparables since an agent can't use them to compare their clients to.

Look at what Seth Jones did to Edmonton's cap space, he became the comparable Nurses's agent used to leverage a massive overpay, and the market has since corrected. But the Oilers are still stuck with that.

The salary cap does not matter, a player is worth whatever a team is willing to pay, which will always cause market chaos.
It’s a lot different than the real estate market considering there’s no salary cap

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I heard an interview of Holloway today where he says he knew the offer sheet was on the table before they even began negotiations with edmonton. He said they were upfront about it with the oilers and were using it you try and sponge the oilers for everything they could. Basically paints it like he had no choice but to sign. The oilers were really weird during negotiations. Go figure when you have a gun to your head...haha....It makes me wonder why they didn't trade him. oh well...

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I heard an interview of Holloway today where he says he knew the offer sheet was on the table before they even began negotiations with edmonton. He said they were upfront about it with the oilers and were using it you try and sponge the oilers for everything they could. Basically paints it like he had no choice but to sign. The oilers were really weird during negotiations. Go figure when you have a gun to your head...haha....It makes me wonder why they didn't trade him. oh well...
Good read on the process and how things shook out:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Likely they tried but Holloway's representation may have informed any team interested in his client that an offer sheet was on the table via St. Louis. Any club trading for Holloway's RFA rights would be in the same pickle as the Oilers.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
How ungrateful. Did Holloway know that the team was in cap trouble and that they couldn’t give him special attention?

Good riddance to him. He won't be missed
He knew. The 1.3 is pretty much what they offered McLeod around the same time in his career with the same understanding - they are after the cup. I understand the business aspect, but that's where the question arises of what is more important to you. The ultimate prize, or the money.

The long play is the ultimate prize, as it could lead to excellent contracts down the line. You may actually end up getting paid more over the course of your career because you have that * by your name with a year attached to it saying you won the Stanley Cup. I dunno. He made his choice and good luck to him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Jacskon knew about the potential offersheet to Holloway before he spent the remaining cap on Skinner then Holloway may have a case.
I would still take Skinner for 1yr+ Podkolzin+3rd for Holloway+4th+ 2M cap space.

I also think Holloways family and friends being Flames fans played a part in him signing the offersheet. He just wasn't one of ours.

Reactions: JordanGalhanth

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
How ungrateful. Did Holloway know that the team was in cap trouble and that they couldn’t give him special attention?

Good riddance to him. He won't be missed
He knew. The 1.3 is pretty much what they offered McLeod around the same time in his career with the same understanding - they are after the cup. I understand the business aspect, but that's where the question arises of what is more important to you. The ultimate prize, or the money.

The long play is the ultimate prize, as it could lead to excellent contracts down the line. You may actually end up getting paid more over the course of your career because you have that * by your name with a year attached to it saying you won the Stanley Cup. I dunno. He made his choice and good luck to him.

sounds like he's still butthurt about Oilers not matching. if he thought 2.3m was reasonable...smh

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Which podcast was this? Wouldn’t mind listening to that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Holloway and Broberg knew about the offer sheets way ahead of time, it’s pretty much excuses Bowman/JJ in not being able to get them signed earlier.

Holland however, not so much.

Reactions: KlimasLoveChild

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
He went to the Oilers and told them about the offersheet, and the Oilers still offered him 800k. Why are people blaming Holloway? They prioritized a 1 year deal for Jeff Skinner over him. That's terrible management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad