Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
haha. exact moment when Holloway discloses his wrist is 'kinda mangled, not ideal ... for hockey's it's fine but can't bend it back or do a pushup.' Then describes the problem bone with 2 surgeries and shows off the scar.

Holloway's a pretty chill man with clear eyes open through this business process. Not an innocent dupe. Oilers knew the risk involved and sat on their situations for a month-and-a-half.

Rutherfordmaggledwrist.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: KlimasLoveChild

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He went to the Oilers and told them about the offersheet, and the Oilers still offered him 800k. Why are people blaming Holloway? They prioritized a 1 year deal for Jeff Skinner over him. That's terrible management.
Skinner likely gets you closer to the cup than Holloway next season. Like it or not we are all in and when you are all in you don't overpay unproven players. Skinner at $3 million could net us 30 goals and 60 points next season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Plus, Holloway aint worth 2+m at the moment. He had no leverage anyway.
That’s the thing. The Oilers made space and could have matched if they wanted to. At that price? No thank you.

The thing is the Oilers handled it the same way they did McLeod. The difference is McLeod understood and wanted to be an Oiler so took a little less. The next time around he got his raise.

Look where that raise ended up though. We still ended up unloading him. Granted we got a great return for him.

On a top heavy team, bottom six players can’t be eating up significant cap and hurting our flexibility with regards to upgrading at the deadline.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Holloway says that he let the Oilers know about the offer sheet before signing it. Sounds like the Oilers didn't budge. He must've known he was as good as gone if he signed it.

Reactions: Leo360

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Holloway says that he let the Oilers know about the offer sheet before signing it. Sounds like the Oilers didn't budge. He must've known he was as good as gone if he signed it.

It would be interesting to know how often the threat of an offer sheet is used by players/agents, and they never materialize, and the player just ends up signing with their current team. I think more often than we think, and that’s likely why you don’t see teams panic and trade a player whenever the threat if after sheet is presented as a possibility, as they basically never come to fruition.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
He went to the Oilers and told them about the offersheet, and the Oilers still offered him 800k. Why are people blaming Holloway? They prioritized a 1 year deal for Jeff Skinner over him. That's terrible management.
Not picking on you specifically, but have us fans decided if we want the Oilers management to be ruthless in pursuit of a Cup like Vegas or not?

Vegas isn't playing many young guys or planning on drafting many in future early rounds. They are being moved for pieces to win now.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It would be interesting to know how often the threat of an offer sheet is used by players/agents, and they never materialize, and the player just ends up signing with their current team. I think more often than we think, and that’s likely why you don’t see teams panic and trade a player whenever the threat if after sheet is presented as a possibility, as they basically never come to fruition.
In this case I think it’s partly that but also the fact that the Oilers weren’t willing to pay a bottom six player, who is still something of a question mark, anywhere near $2 million a season.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I laugh how he says it wasn't a crazy ask or anything but it's like dude, do you not realize youre asking for 2x [3x depending who you ask] your market value? And that's considered reasonble?

Broberg I completely get though. He didn't want to be here so it as always going to be tough but Holloway clearly valued the bag more than the team. I mean kudos to him for getting paid but dont be sour about it because you valued money over winning

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Interesting that Holloway mentions his wrist is mangled to the point he can't do a push-up. Shows that sometimes age alone is not the only factor one needs to consider when thinking about a player's future potential for growth and longevity in the league.
Holloway is a reckless player and will likely spend more injured than not. If he changes his game to get injured less frequently, he probably doesn't stay in the league long. No ill will from signing the offer sheet, and not matching was the right move for us. Chances are Podz steps in and gives us what Holloway gives us.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I’ve been defending Holloway but this kinda irks me. I was also fine with just letting both go from the start, because it was just more than they’re worth and I don’t want more overpays.

Oilers didn’t do anything weird Dylan. The Blues did something weird, just shut up and take the bag.

Maybe the Oilers should have traded both the moment they heard rumblings of an offer sheet. But what kind of trade value did they even have? For all we know they were shopped and the return was similar to what we got from the offer sheets. Sounds crazy maybe but these guys haven’t shown much yet.

Like f*** if I won the lottery and told my boss to match it or I walk I wouldn’t call him weird for ghosting me.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I laugh how he says it wasn't a crazy ask or anything but it's like dude, do you not realize youre asking for 2x [3x depending who you ask] your market value? And that's considered reasonble?

Broberg I completely get though. He didn't want to be here so it as always going to be tough but Holloway clearly valued the bag more than the team. I mean kudos to him for getting paid but dont be sour about it because you valued money over winning
Depends what the player ask was. Friedman reported Holloway's camp ask was 1 or 2 years at $1.2 million. So it's quite possible Holloway's reference point in calling the Oilers negotiation situation 'weird.' Then the market acted a month and a half later after ... crickets ... with a pen on paper $2.29 million offer.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Depends what the player ask was. Friedman reported Holloway's camp ask was 1 or 2 years at $1.2 million. So it's quite possible Holloway's reference point in calling the Oilers negotiation situation 'weird.' Then the market acted a month and a half later after ... crickets ... with a pen on paper $2.29 million offer.

I suppose but IIRC, the 1.1-1.3 offer was back in January no? The way I took it was that he brought the offer sheet number to Oilers and then was ghosted. Then he signed it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I suppose but IIRC, the 1.1-1.3 offer was back in January no? The way I took it was that he brought the offer sheet number to Oilers and then was ghosted. Then he signed it.
Not what I've read or seen. All Holloway offers were with free agency beginning and Oilers offered variations of cheap 1 or 2 year deal options elevating to $1.05-million AAV over 3 years.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Not picking on you specifically, but have us fans decided if we want the Oilers management to be ruthless in pursuit of a Cup like Vegas or not?

Vegas isn't playing many young guys or planning on drafting many in future early rounds. They are being moved for pieces to win now.
Hard for an apples to apples comparison with Vegas with a seamless management group as an expansion franchise. The Oil have rued multiple management groups that have left negative impacts on their cap and organizational depth. Generally Vegas has been pro-active in moving out their pedigree young players and 1st round picks for bonafide NHL talent like Stone, Eichel, Hanifan, and maybe a more risky Hertl. They've been solid with cap management moving out Patches with no retention, weaving around the dead cap Shea Weber contract (in and out), and garbage LTIR miracle Stone recoveries.

Oil got caught in their own decision making to prioritize veteran finishing pieces for a Cup window run while missing the changing market conditions which with no movement on two young pieces saw the market impose new valuations on their NHL ready pedigree young guys which became unaffordable due to their cap vulnerability priorities on July 1.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I was always on the “keep Broberg and let Holloway walk” train
Nothing against Dylan, but he hasn’t shown anything outside a few playoff games and being a winger he’s easily the most expendable
I don’t think he’ll ever have the offense to become a 25 goal player and knowing his waist is still f***ed up, I think they made the right choice on him

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
How ungrateful. Did Holloway know that the team was in cap trouble and that they couldn’t give him special attention?

Good riddance to him. He won't be missed
He took the payday. The oilers aren’t a good place for those looking for a payday because the oilers are in win now mode.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Skinner likely gets you closer to the cup than Holloway next season. Like it or not we are all in and when you are all in you don't overpay unproven players. Skinner at $3 million could net us 30 goals and 60 points next season.
I remember specifically hearing on 630 ched that Jeff Jackson wanted to have a contending team for the next decade. I completely understand They want to win now, but Skinner's aav may have cost them both Broberg and Holloway.

Vegas won a cup. We are in the same position as them without anything to show for it. What the management did was not ruthless, St.Louis was ruthless with the offer sheet. How do you let 2 1st rounders walk because you wanted a old winger?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
haha. exact moment when Holloway discloses his wrist is 'kinda mangled, not ideal ... for hockey's it's fine but can't bend it back or do a pushup.' Then describes the problem bone with 2 surgeries and shows off the scar.

Holloway's a pretty chill man with clear eyes open through this business process. Not an innocent dupe. Oilers knew the risk involved and sat on their situations for a month-and-a-half.

View attachment 904504
The players alleviated a problem for the oilers.

I remember specifically hearing on 630 ched that Jeff Jackson wanted to have a contending team for the next decade. I completely understand They want to win now, but Skinner's aav may have cost them both Broberg and Holloway.
Good.

Vegas won a cup. We are in the same position as them without anything to show for it. What the management did was not ruthless, St.Louis was ruthless with the offer sheet. How do you let 2 1st rounders walk because you wanted an old winger?
Because you want to win.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah Skinner and Arvidsson are both just better than Holloway. You hope Holloway someday could maybe be an Arvidsson tier player.

We finally have a legit top 6 forward group and that’s not even including Kane.

I’m hoping that 3rd line of Janmark - Henrique - Brown continues to click, they were outstanding in the playoffs.

Holloway might have had a tough time working his way up from the 4th line. We’ll be okay. This forward group might be absolute dynamite actually, the top 3 lines at least.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
"They were weird after my agent went out and secured an offer sheet with another team before even talking to the Oilers."

Yeah. No shit, bud.

Probably is so used to being held with kid gloves from being courted by college teams as a young kid, to being treated like a top prospect by the team that drafted him.

Suddenly he gets to see what it's like when you aren't treated like a top prize.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

View attachment 904504
Might explain why he went for the money too.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

After knowing what I know now with how Holloway, Broberg, Bourgault turned out, I wish the team would have dealt those picks for immediate help. I think they have to keep feeding McDrai with talent now. The team had the capability to be so much more stronger for the 2022 & 2023 playoffs

• Love
Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad