Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Might explain why he went for the money too.
Would be reasonable. Frankly a bit scary to hear his injury is still pretty debilitating for normal life functions.

The larger strange question is why the Oilers didn't negotiate on the Holloway camp's reported $1.2 million x 1 or 2 year position with his agent even advising the team that an offer sheet was a real possibility. Seems odd the team chose to not negotiate over a pretty small amount involved from their initial offers beginning with under a million dollars for 1x year and rising somewhat with x2 and x3 variations. Big price paid in mid-August when the market acted on Oilers vulnerability and inaction to set Holloway's value well beyond team budget.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Would be reasonable. Frankly a bit scary to hear his injury is still pretty debilitating for normal life functions.

The larger strange question is why the Oilers didn't negotiate on the Holloway camp's reported $1.2 million x 1 or 2 year position with his agent even advising the team that an offer sheet was a real possibility. Seems odd the team chose to not negotiate over a pretty small amount involved from their initial offers beginning with under a million dollars for 1x year and rising somewhat with x2 and x3 variations. Big price paid in mid-August when the market acted on Oilers vulnerability and inaction to set Holloway's value well beyond team budget.
I thought that year 2 would have been an issue as it would have taken him to arbitration eligibility. Which would have caused a problem too cap wise.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I thought that year 2 would have been an issue as it would have taken him to arbitration eligibility. Which would have caused a problem too cap wise.
Control the asset and give yourself flexibility. The McLeod trade showed pro-active approach to signing and managing the future cap if/when it becomes necessarily.

Reactions: McBooya42

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I laugh how he says it wasn't a crazy ask or anything but it's like dude, do you not realize youre asking for 2x [3x depending who you ask] your market value? And that's considered reasonble?

Broberg I completely get though. He didn't want to be here so it as always going to be tough but Holloway clearly valued the bag more than the team. I mean kudos to him for getting paid but dont be sour about it because you valued money over winning
Yeah, that's holding that over their head saying "Hey I know we're just getting started, but I have an offer for this much that I'm considering taking. I'll stay with you guys for this much though". Stan probably just blinked and said "We'll get back to you", but just never did. Rightfully so too. Dylan - how did you expect them to act? Knowing the cap crunch the team is in, and that others have taken pay cuts to come back? Bye dude! We probably just replaced you for a 4th, and thanks for the 3rd!

North

Jun 25, 2009

We’re only hearing one side of the story.

Granted the Oilers aren’t giving their side but management clearly isn’t losing sleep over the loss of Holloway.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
why the Oilers didn't negotiate on the Holloway camp's reported $1.2 million x 1 or 2 year position with his agent even advising the team that an offer sheet was a real possibility.
What would be the point? You think he was going to take half of what he could get because he loved it in Edmonton so much?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
We’re only hearing one side of the story.

Granted the Oilers aren’t giving their side but management clearly isn’t losing sleep over the loss of Holloway.
What are the Oilers going to tell? They slept on their two young restricted free agents when they were controllable pre-July 1. Then tried to smoke them out for a month-and-a-half with no second offers. Market reacts and they gone for chump change.

They're not losing any sleep because they caught up on nap time over the summer.

North

Jun 25, 2009
What are the Oilers going to tell? They slept on their two young restricted free agents when they were controllable pre-July 1. Then tried to smoke them out for a month-and-a-half with no second offers. Market reacts and they gone for chump change.

They're not losing any sleep because they caught up on nap time over the summer.
Or they could refute what’s being said by the other side and point out they were negotiating.

Both sides have a vested interest in putting out a specific narrative. I’m not just going to take what they’re saying as gospel.

I mean you’ve made your position clear since the start. It’s just repetitive at this point.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Or they could refute what’s being said by the other side and point out they were negotiating.

Both sides have a vested interest in putting out a specific narrative. I’m not just going to take what they’re saying as gospel.

I mean you’ve made your position clear since the start. It’s just repetitive at this point.
The Oilers have no reason to go into why they failed to identify the market change and real threat of a cap overage exposure while slow cooking their two RFA's. It's why they began their media availability talking about 'rolling up their sleeves' and 'going to work' once the market set astronomical pricing on their two restricted free agents.

Information is starting to flow from many sources so it's alway valuable to consider all points of view. After all it's a historic, precedent setting situation. One team bought low. Being on the other side of it can't feel all that great. Why rehash it further when the cap vulnerability was an obvious starting point. Gambled and lost.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

The players wanted to get paid, the Oilers obliged them. End of story.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The Oilers have no reason to go into why they failed to identify the market change and real threat of a cap overage exposure while slow cooking their two RFA's. It's why they began their media availability talking about 'rolling up their sleeves' and 'going to work' once the market set astronomical pricing on their two restricted free agents.

Information is starting to flow from many sources so it's alway valuable to consider all points of view. After all it's a historic, precedent setting situation. One team bought low. Being on the other side of it can't feel all that great. Why rehash it further when the cap vulnerability was an obvious starting point. Gambled and lost.
Once again, you're building the whole narrative of what happened from one side of the story.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Once again, you're building the whole narrative of what happened from one side of the story.
Waiting for the Oilers to share theirs. In meantime, the information is steadily coming out. The cap vulnerability is not disputable. They moved out McLeod on July 4 to mitigate their cap overage to $354,16 so they were in the trade market while dealing with Kane health uncertainty and two young RFA's one with a known issue including public trade request that season.

Nothing happened until mid-August. Armstrong secured his 2nd back at the Hlinka Tournament and then dropped the double hammer. If the team had even followed its timeline to sign McLeod last year first week of August, you have a fighting chance to be ahead of a historic double jeopardy offer sheet you have little to no defense against. A reactive post offer sheet move of Ceci gave them a bluffer's chance but leaves a RD even weaker after losing two right side PKers and minute muncher in Ceci.

Now if as Holloway alleges his agent even warned the team against real and impending danger of offer sheets, it opens real questions about what the team was doing.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Information is coming from one side that is being filtered to other people.

It’s not new.

None of what has been released by that side is earth shattering and will change people’s positions on this issue.

It’s just basically people repeating their same position over and over.

If something truly new comes out then the renewed discussion would definitely be far more interesting.

But by all means continue. I’m tapping out on this particular discussion.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Information is coming from one side that is being filtered to other people.

It’s not new.

None of what has been released by that side is earth shattering and will change people’s positions on this issue.

It’s just basically people repeating their same position over and over.

If something truly new comes out then the renewed discussion would definitely be far more interesting.

But by all means continue. I’m tapping out on this particular discussion.
You engaged again. I replied. Lots of questions to ask how an organization lets this happen when financially vulnerable, a bull market with new money, and a damaged relationship. The poacher was known to like the two players through one and reported (by him) two trade deadline discussions. Why did the Oilers feel their were safe to attempt to smoke out two young players who just helped with solid support play on a Cup run? Reasonable to ask as the consequences were high and historic precedent setting.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What would be the point? You think he was going to take half of what he could get because he loved it in Edmonton so much?
Only one team in the entire NHL was willing to give Holloway an inflated contract like that and the same goes for Broberg.

No other club was going to give them that money and no other RFA players coming off of their entry level contracts, performing at corresponding levels of play with comparable experience, will be given contracts like that... no less via conniving double offer sheets which saw the Oilers lose regardless of the resolution. It's an NHL thing.

A built in failsafe by the Bettman run NHL. If a Canadian team gets too close they screw them over and knock them down a notch or two. Losing two viable NHLers that could fit easily under the cap accomplished exactly that.

Those offer sheets were discussed by the Board of Governors long before Joe public ever became aware of the situation.

31 years and counting.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Only one team in the entire NHL was willing to give Holloway an inflated contract like that and the same goes for Broberg.

No other club was going to give them that money and no other RFA players coming off of their entry level contracts, performing at corresponding levels of play with comparable experience, will be given contracts like that... no less via conniving double offer sheets which saw the Oilers lose regardless of the resolution. It's an NHL thing.
I understand that. What I don’t understand is why BEL insists on castigating Oilers management for sleeping on the job and/or ‘refusing’ to negotiate when Holloway’s camp came out with a ‘reasonable’ $1.3 million request. It seems clear that any position put forward by Holloway’s camp was nothing but a delaying tactic. He knew an offer sheet was coming. He knew he was going to sign it. And he knew that once he did his days as an Oiler were done. Bye Dylan. Keep your head up in the corners.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I understand that. What I don’t understand is why BEL insists on castigating Oilers management for sleeping on the job and/or ‘refusing’ to negotiate when Holloway’s camp came out with a ‘reasonable’ $1.3 million request. It seems clear that any position put forward by Holloway’s camp was nothing but a delaying tactic. He knew an offer sheet was coming. He knew he was going to sign it. And he knew that once he did his days as an Oiler were done. Bye Dylan. Keep your head up in the corners.

Not only that, Holloway admitted that his wrist is f***ed - but "good enough for hockey". There's a good chance that "good enough for hockey" changes in a year or so, and am very skeptical that this player will be worth his new cap hit. I liked the player but once he signed the offer sheet as damaged goods, it was a no-brainer to move on.

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

Said Holloway: “We knew about the offer sheet before we had any negotiations with Edmonton, which was kind of weird. We were trying to get a deal done. I don’t think we were asking for anything crazy at all. If anything we were very upfront with Edmonton the whole time, even about the whole offer sheet. We explained, ‘Hey, this was an option for us. Can we get a deal?’ And it was weird the way they handled it. I felt I had no other option but to sign the offer sheet.”

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holloway took “nothing crazy”. He just took double. Is this guy listening to himself? Did he look at the salary cap? It means even if Broberg took 1.1M we would have to move Ceci and still be over the cap. So we lose Ceci and also lose Lavoie thru waivers. You’re not worth that Holloway

Reactions: Oilslick941611

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Why are we still talking about this? It’s over.
1725288018569.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad