Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
If Nurse played with Bouchard, would that fix Nurse? I don't know. I used to think Nurse could be saved by a good PMD, after the Playoffs I'm more inclined to think there's not much that can be done to save him. At some point he just needs to be better and we should expect that he's better instead hoping some magical partner will save him. There's only so much a partner can do, the individual brain farts he has needs to be fixed by himself.

Yeah I have no idea at this point who or what kind of dman will work with Nurse? Puck mover? Defensive stalwart?

I think he really needs to simplify his game but I think hes just too mistake prone regardless.

Hopefully he does some soul searching.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He obviously didn’t think he ‘fit in well here’ because he chose to leave at the first opportunity. It’s a big no thank you to Adam Larsson.

Corey needs to spend less time scolding teammates and focus on playing better. Guy was a f***ing disaster out there. And I say that as a fan who wanted him here.
Wow that Larsson take is something lol.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I am once again incredibly jealous of the successful team making the smart gamble on the high pedigree reclamation player.

Hate to say it, but Florida just seems like a slam dunk for Boqvist. They have the depth to shelter him. His brother signed there. And he's probably first in line for the PPQB role on their top unit with Montour and OEL gone.

They may have just found another Forsling type steal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I have no idea at this point who or what kind of dman will work with Nurse? Puck mover? Defensive stalwart?

I think he really needs to simplify his game but I think hes just too mistake prone regardless.

Hopefully he does some soul searching.
Yeh I don't know. I guess though, a better D-man next to him is still a better d-man next to him. So upgrade the RD anyways, we need it. I just think Nurse will have to put alot of it, nearly all of it, on himself to be better. I don't know if he can, most players at this age just are what they are.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nurse hasn’t improved much and Larsson is older and slower.
Larsson looks fine in Seattle speed wise. And the biggest improvement has been our team's dedication to the 200 foot game. And the depth at forward. There really isn't a part of the roster that regularly bleeds goals against.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This is like telling a half truth to fit an agenda, and you know it. What a load of crap, but at the same time I'm not surprised in the least (seeing who posted this). You know why he left and why he won't come back, but you're still butthurt about it. Move on already.
Lol. OK. Do we have to bring up the tragic passing of his father in EVERY single post we ever make about Adam Larsson just so the peanut gallery doesn’t come out with ‘durrr, you must be butthurt’? It’s common knowledge on the board. Stretch yourself and try to factor that in when replying.

I was not the one bringing up the (completely crazy) idea of bringing back Larsson. I’m just posting my thoughts on the notion that ‘he was a great fit here’. He wasn’t. And isn’t. And I’m talking about his on ice game. And the price he is going to command. It’s a closed door. The board should just move on.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Larsson looks fine in Seattle speed wise. And the biggest improvement has been our team's dedication to the 200 foot game. And the depth at forward. There really isn't a part of the roster that regularly bleeds goals against.
He wasn’t great last year. We can do better.

McDanglez

Jan 15, 2011
Saskatchatoon
Some impressive work done by JJ. Adding two top six forwards and bringing back henrique, Brown, Janny. Then restocking the cupboards with some young talent that can help in the next couple years or be used as trade pieces. Man he set us up pretty well.
You have to think there's at least a piece moving on the D yet but heck, even if not we will be fine until deadline. Providing we get cap compliant.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This is like telling a half truth to fit an agenda, and you know it. What a load of crap, but at the same time I'm not surprised in the least (seeing who posted this). You know why he left and why he won't come back, but you're still butthurt about it. Move on already.
I mean how do you know he wasn’t going to leave anyways?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Lol. OK. Do we have to bring up the tragic passing of his father in EVERY single post we ever make about Adam Larsson just so the peanut gallery doesn’t come out with ‘durrr, you must be butthurt’? It’s common knowledge on the board. Stretch yourself and try to factor that in when replying.

I was not the one bringing up the (completely crazy) idea of bringing back Larsson. I’m just posting my thoughts on the notion that ‘he was a great fit here’. He wasn’t. And isn’t. And I’m talking about his on ice game. And the price he is going to command. It’s a closed door. The board should just move on.
Put in that way, I agree.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He wasn’t great last year. We can do better.
I think Larsson is the exact type of defenseman we're looking for though, assuming that Broberg is playing his natural position. He's at the age where signing him to an extension isn't about breaking the bank as well. There's a chance that he could contribute significantly to multiple Cup runs.

I don't think that there is a 'better' option on the rental market this season that doesn't tie you into a longer salary commitment the team may not have the immediate room for.

This roster needs character guys that bring physicality. Larsson is that in spades and he's already well-liked in that room.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If I were to bet I would say that the "less is more" message has been what has been sent to him, but he probably has no idea how to actually execute on it. Does "less is more" mean less aggressive on the puck carrier? Less aggressive moving the puck with his feet? Less aggressive joining the rush?

No matter what, any instruction of "less is more" probably means him backing off his actual strengths to try and do something he sucks at.
“Less is more” feels like the antithesis of what Coffey seemed to want when he was brought in and what Nurse’s actual strengths are, which is transitioning the puck up the ice with excellent skating.

Nurse had a mediocre regular season and an awful playoffs. Before this season he’s been a reliable top pair D-man for a number of years.

He’s still young enough to bounce back. He still needs someone other than Ceci to play with.

Sure in an ideal world he’s traded purely for cap reasons. But the contract just isn’t movable. Gonna need to work with him and get him back in form.

I think Larsson is the exact type of defenseman we're looking for though, assuming that Broberg is playing his natural position. He's at the age where signing him to an extension isn't about breaking the bank as well. There's a chance that he could contribute significantly to multiple Cup runs.

I don't think that there is a 'better' option on the rental market this season that doesn't tie you into a longer salary commitment the team may not have the immediate room for.

This roster needs character guys that bring physicality. Larsson is that in spades and he's already well-liked in that room.
f*** Adam Larsson. Ditched the team at the 11th hour to sign with an expansion team.

Don’t want that loser back. Sorry your dad died. That makes it too hard to live in the same city years later? Lame ass excuse. Dude never wanted to be in Edmonton and was shit most of his time as an Oiler.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There’s really no evidence that’s true.
Of course there's no evidence to back it up but if a prospect, Broberg in this case, is offered a cheap bridge compared to a much much richer contract, it seems logical that he would sign the bigger money contract.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Of course there's no evidence to back it up but if a prospect, Broberg in this case, is offered a cheap bridge compared to a much much richer contract, it seems logical that he would sign the bigger money contract.
It’s just as logical that a young guy, with a massive runway and a real chance to win a Stanley cup with team that drafted him may take a lessor amount to get that shot. Who knows.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Shillington rejected a 2 year offer from the Flames. Too bad we are full up on the left side, I'd take a flyer on him for his speed and skill plus a bit of spite towards the Flames org.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It’s just as logical that a young guy, with a massive runway and a real chance to win a Stanley cup with team that drafted him may take a lessor amount to get that shot. Who knows.

Yeah it's all speculation but if he gets, say $20m+ thrown at him compared to the $1m the Oilers have to offer him, I don't see how he turns that down or how anybody would turn that down.

I guess my main point is that the Oilers are ripe for an offer sheet no matter how miniscule the chances are. Who knows but I'd be surprised if Broberg left many millions in the table for a chance at a Cup and maybe getting the big pay day years from now.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah it's all speculation but if he gets, say $20m+ thrown at him compared to the $1m the Oilers have to offer him, I don't see how he turns that down or how anybody would turn that down.

I guess my main point is that the Oilers are ripe for an offer sheet no matter how miniscule the chances are. Who knows but I'd be surprised if Broberg left many millions in the table for a chance at a Cup and maybe getting the big pay day years from now.
On the other hand, he might realize that he could stand to gain a contract for $50M+ in a few years if he sticks with the Oilers, rather than the $20M he might get offered right now with some scrub team like the Flames. This is a legitimate situation where the player could turn the offer sheet down and would be well advised to do so.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
f*** Adam Larsson. Ditched the team at the 11th hour to sign with an expansion team.

Don’t want that loser back. Sorry your dad died. That makes it too hard to live in the same city years later? Lame ass excuse. Dude never wanted to be in Edmonton and was shit most of his time as an Oiler.
wow, what a heartless, callus take

he did sleep with your mom or sister or something?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I pined for two ex preds for years and they both ended up on the Oilers so I’m going to go back to the well and keep hoping they acquire Dante Fabbro.

Nashville is excellent at drafting premier defensemen but they’ve fumbled Fabbro a bit. Pushing to coax higher offensive upside that likely isn’t there at this level. Probably because he’s such a smart player, high hockey iq, but hasn’t translated offensively in the NHL. He reminds me a lot of Jared Spurgeon just bigger. So smart defensively, reads the play well and a great stick, rarely makes the wrong choice or read.Fabbro has got a good first pass and he can get shots through. He has struggled a bit with rush defending.

Sounds like he could be the odd man out in Nashville and I think he could be a good balance for Nurse. He’s around 300 games, has the pedigree, shown some good flashes in this league and With more opportunity in a defined role he’s likely to round into a reliable second pairing defender.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
“Less is more” feels like the antithesis of what Coffey seemed to want when he was brought in and what Nurse’s actual strengths are, which is transitioning the puck up the ice with excellent skating.

Nurse had a mediocre regular season and an awful playoffs. Before this season he’s been a reliable top pair D-man for a number of years.

He’s still young enough to bounce back. He still needs someone other than Ceci to play with.

Sure in an ideal world he’s traded purely for cap reasons. But the contract just isn’t movable. Gonna need to work with him and get him back in form.

I’m what world was nurse ever a reliable top pairing dman? And for years? wtf? He’s also almost 30. Is that young for a defenseman? Looool

That take is as laughable as your take on Adam larsson. Should be ashamed of yourself for that one

Reactions: Jarvi

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
he did sleep with your mom or sister or something?
It wasnt Larsson, Spawn. I saw Skinner leaving the cactus club with both your mom and sister.
Silly and unnecessary comments. @Spawn was exactly correct. Larsson talked like he was coming back and then screwed the team on the day before the expansion draft signing a cheap deal with the Kraken. Like @Bryanbryoil said, Larsson has the right to sign where he chooses. Fans have the right to remember the high price paid to acquire him, the overall mediocre performance he delivered and the way he screwed the club on the way out the door. I wouldn’t have him back if he begged.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Larsson would be a very solid second pair. The whole Kraken team regressed last season (as expected) but their top pair of Dunn and Larsson kept their head above water. Strong structure defending especially in battle areas would help Nurse immensely. His puck skills have also been better with a quality top pair partner.

Can't see the Kraken dealing their bedrock leader especially in-division. He was well regarded as a teammate in Edmonton for doing the hard, dirty work and that's carried over in Seattle. Perfect player type the deeper one's team gets into the marathon playoff tournament. Heavy, mean and physical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad