What is the single worst decision your team ever made?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
1678840345002.png

1678840355840.png

• Love
Reactions: um and rfournier103

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
The hiring of Bob Nicholson. Not only did he hire Peter Chiarelli and Ken Holland back to back which is bad enough as is just for on ice reasons, he also turned out to be the single most despicable individual ever hired by the Oilers, being the guy at the top of the Hockey Canada sexual assault fund scandals. Also made it insufferable for fans attending live games due to the concession price hikes, see:
View attachment 658273
Are you f***ing kidding me with those prices? does the food come with a side of blow or something?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Giving Babcock and Holland so long to run the team while wasting the end of our stars careers. There should be another banner or two from some of those teams.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Read my response to the prior comment.
Even so, I do not think that not hitting a gem in the second round qualifies as the worst decision ever.

And if you go down that route, passing on Lunquist in the six round seems an worst decission.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
Even so, I do not think that not hitting a gem in the second round qualifies as the worst decision ever.

And if you go down that route, passing on Lunquist in the six round seems an worst decission.
You're not understanding my post.

Bergeron I viewed as a legit #1 centre which we needed at the time. Passing on that to draft nothing is inexcusable.

6 round draft picks are a crap shoot. And literally everyone past on him 5 times. That's no as gregarious, especially when we just drafted MAF

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
You're not understanding my post.

Bergeron I viewed as a legit #1 centre which we needed at the time. Passing on that to draft nothing is inexcusable.

6 round draft picks are a crap shoot. And literally everyone past on him 5 times. That's no as gregarious, especially when we just drafted MAF
Lunquist was drafted few years before MAF.

Not to mention that Bergeron was pretty good in his rookie year, good enough to likely drop the Penguins from drafting Malkin to drafting Cam "Next Superstar" Barker. If I remember right, only a point separated the Penguins from the Hawks.

Anyhow, I never bought the argument that not picking a gem in the second round is a huge mistake, nobody knew how good he would be. I mean even Boston passed on him once.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
Lunquist was drafted few years before MAF.

Not to mention that Bergeron was pretty good in his rookie year, good enough to likely drop the Penguins from drafting Malkin to drafting Cam "Next Superstar" Barker.
They could've drafted Ladd or Wheeler. That's a pretty good combo with Bergeron

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
They could've drafted Ladd or Wheeler. That's a pretty good combo with Bergeron

Hindsight is very easy, but Cam Baker was the clear #3 in that draft. Scouts were saying that the 2004 draft contained 3 generational players and then some good players.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
As an Oilers millennial fan, dressing Conklin over Markkanen in game 1 if the '06 Finals.

Its probably the only single decision that could have been the difference between winning a cup or not.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Im sure there's an endless list on shit the leafs did wrong but the most recent was signing Tavares and just giving the kids all that money without any results. both these combined took away what I assume was their best chance to win since 92 or 93.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Besides yesterday, Nurse contract

HMs: Second Pronger trade, Smyth trade, MacT hire as GM, handling of Souray, asking Comrie to return his bonus, hiring Eakins, trading down and drafting MA Pouliot in the first round in 2003, hiring Chia

Last edited:

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Selling Wayne Gretzky. Nothing else even comes close.
I think only the sale of Wayne Gretzky tops this.
This is the winner by miles, another offseason popular thread asked "if you would ever abandon your team" this is it for me, I'll never forgive and never forget,

Luckily this changed the entire sport for the better, thrusting hockey in America into the spotlight, changed everything, part of me still thinks about the parallel universe if Connor went to Buffalo and what impact could've done something close to the same...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad