What is the single worst decision your team ever made?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Shanny and Dubas Era.

Given one of the best players in the modern areas not to mention Marner and Nylander…..

They messed it up with never addressing their D, signing JT, trading Kadri, the slew of bad contracts and trading away pick after pick….

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
There's about twenty or so things I can say for the Islanders but I will probably say one that probably gets forgotten more often than not

NOT trading away Scatchard for Jason Allison.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Trading for Dubois I think upset the entire team chemistry. Trading Dubois I think reset the team in the right direction. Funny that this could make me a fan of more than one team.

I can see what you're saying, sort of, but would respectively disagree. As a Kings fan, Dubois did too little and wasn't disruptive enough. If he made a big bang and the lineup had to shift around to accommodate him and he became a presence in the locker room due to his on ice effectiveness, we would just deal with it, not deal him away.

He was a big nothing-burger and on top of that, the FO traded/dumped so much talent as cap dumps and got so little back, just to make room to give him an insane salary.

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
Mario Tremblay not pulling out Patrick Roy against Detroit. This was the catalyst of a chain of events that ultimately set the franchise back for 25+ years

Reactions: zeeto

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Neely trade.

Ouch.

I see Ive already posted in this thread. Like a year and a half ago. Time to kill it.

Agreed

Neely trade is far from the worst decision, one could have said that back in the early 90s but too much other s--- has happened since then.

One that flies under the radar for me is not extending Willie Mitchell in 2010, he was a loyal Canuck, having him over Ballard in the 2011 playoffs would have likely been the difference IMO , Hawks in 4-5 instead of 7, Predators in 4-5 instead of 6, no doubt in my mind we would have won handily over Boston.

Then the Kings don't have him in 2012, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we repeated.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
Rangers quickly off the top of my head:

Zubov trade
Jessiman pick
McIlrath instead of Tarasenko
Buchnevich for Blais

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Reinhart trade set the Oilers back a couple of years. If they drafted Barzal, they likely would've made the playoffs in 2018 and 2019. The franchise did recover with the signing of Zach Hyman but this trade scratched a couple of years of Cup contention off of McDavid's career.

Repeatedly playing a burnt out rookie Skinner over a rested and hot Campbell in the 2023 playoffs. I'm thankful for the Canucks for whooping the Oilers mercilessly early in the 23/24 season causing Woodcroft to be fired.

In the McDavid era, these are the 2 biggest blunders that I'm still mad about lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not making the Gomez for Datsyuk trade happen. Letting the defense deteriorate with all 3 of Nieds, Rafalski, Martin walking for nothing.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
-Pissing off Dustin Byfuglien so he retired after we had already lost 3 starting defensemen including the rest of our RHD

-Cutting a deal with Vegas to protect Toby Enstrom when we could have just drafted Nick Suzuki instead

Reactions: hn777

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
One that doesn't get mentioned as much is pressuring Wayne Gretzky to sign prior to consulting his family in 1996. The way it's told things were on track for Wayne to become a Canuck before then CEO Stan McCammon pressured him for an answer after a long day of negotiations rather than giving him a day or 2.

I know Wayne was near the end of his career then, but we would've avoided the disastrous Messier-era & had the greatest player ever play for our team.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
For the Sabres I would say selling to Rigas. He was a crook, which led to ownership instability and the team almost leaving. We were saved by penny pinching Golisano (for whom I will always be grateful). But also led to the Pegula purchase and 10 years of ineptitude.

If a better owner than Rigas is found in the first place, we probably avoid all that mess.

Reactions: hn777

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
It isn't the worst, but one of the ones that still sticks out to me since I've been old enough to be an adult fan was the Phaneuf trade. The fact we traded him in a time in the NHL when defensemen like him were still very effective and hadn't been rendered obsolete yet, for that package just for the sake of trading him still blows my mind. We didn't even get good depth up front from the deal. We got a solid bottom 6 centre out of the deal in Stajan and a bunch of spare parts for a top 3 defender in his prime.
we can actually just clarify that the worst decision the Flames have ever made is making ANY trade with the Leafs

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
hard to argue with numbers but keep in mind
1725461289003.png

It was a stacked roster and Naslund gained a reputation for disappearing after good start and having to get sent down to the minors and not being allowed to play in playoff games. His points in his final year reflected playing with Jagr and Lemieux due to Trottier's retirement and injuries. Remember McSorley got 40 goals one year by playing on Gretzky's wing so it's hard not to see the same situation happening here. I have to think Pittsburgh tried to leverage that to get what they could.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Not reading this whole thread but for Buffalo I'll say embezzlement. The team went from a young Cup contender to "maybe they relocate" in the blink of an eye, which led to a lot of uncertainty for years afterwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad