Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You’re not wrong in one sense because hes never played with a top4 dman. But hes also not pulling his weight either. Its too bad he got paid as much as he did but its a dead horse at this point.He basically needs to play with a RD Ekholm. 1) Its an extremely difficult player to find and acquire 2) We don’t have the cap space to acquire it or is very difficult to fit in

Hopefully can find some kind of solution that is an upgrade and is good enough to push us over
Larsson and Petry? They're top 4 Dman during their time here

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
Ugh.. you know you are entering the dog days of summer when this thread focusses on a singular issue like Larsson and fills page after page with something that will never happen. I miss the excitement already. Just do one more crazy thing Jackson, please!?

98 days until the season starts, go out and enjoy that beautiful weather :laugh: while we discuss former Oilers for the millionth time.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They work very well together, they're one of the best pairings in the league.

Unfortunately the Nurse pairing has been a problem for years.
Yeah, hopefully Knoblauch can find a way to have Nurse find more consistency. They still need to find a top-4-ish puck mover to help with his deficiencies.

Or JJ will blow our minds and Nurse will get moved lol

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I feel like not enough praise is given to Bouchard as to his part in helping to bring this out in Ekholm as well.

He was always a good player, but a #2 defenseman is just a wonderful plus.
Been saying this all season with posters laughing at me- that somehow Ekholm coached this play into Bouchard. They both helped each other and the pair has amazing chemistry

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yeah, hopefully Knoblauch can find a way to have Nurse find more consistency. They still need to find a top-4-ish puck mover to help with his deficiencies.

Or JJ will blow our minds and Nurse will get moved lol
I blame McLelland and Tippett for Nurse. In his formidable development years you have McLelland (off the glass and out) and Tippett (collapse right in front of the goalie). He hasn’t been able to shake the stink off of both these coaches. His biggest issues now are he can’t move the puck (results in sustained pressure by the opposition and this is where mistakes happen in coverage) and can’t deny the zone entries. His puck retrievals are pretty bad as well. He neutralizes Drai all by himself by not being able to get the puck up the ice.

I also think Stetcher will surprise people. He was very good playing top 4 in Arizona and has good transitional defense and zone denial metrics.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Nurse’s partners over the last five seasons have been Bear, Barrie and Ceci. Bear and Barrie have basically played their way out of the league at this point, or close to it. And Ceci probably isn’t all that far behind. And I like all three of those guys. But they are all very flawed D-men.
Nurse played well with Bear. This is due to Bear being good at things Nurse isn’t. Also implying Bear just sucked his way out of the league is disingenuous. Injuries derailed his career

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You’re describing a Nurse that doesn’t exist. He has never ever in his career been able to transport the puck or move it in any sense of the manner. Never. His problems in the defensive zone starts with unsuccessful zone exits. His most successful years have come when he is paired with a d man strong in puck retrievals and zone exits. He is also horrid in zone denials. How many times have you seen him this year try to exit the zone only to give the damn puck away? He needs to play with a puck mover who can retrieve pucks and exit zones. Nurse is good at neither.

No, he was never, ever a top pairing defenseman. He was a d man who played on the Oilers top pair- and that’s why those teams weren’t really considered playoff threats. There is a big difference.

This simply isn't accurate. He is more than fine at moving it out with his feet, and his passing accuracy also increases tenfold because he's in motion opening lanes and shortening up passing distance.

Problem is he stands around most of the time looking to hit stretch passes and misses a strong majority of them. When he moves his feet his effectiveness breaking out improves dramatically, especially if he skates it over his own blue line and leads the rush out. "Less is more" means less rush breakouts, more stretch passes, and more icings/turnovers.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This simply isn't accurate. He is more than fine at moving it out with his feet, and his passing accuracy also increases tenfold because he's in motion opening lanes and shortening up passing distance.

Problem is he stands around most of the time looking to hit stretch passes and misses a strong majority of them. When he moves his feet his effectiveness breaking out improves dramatically, especially if he skates it over his own blue line and leads the rush out. "Less is more" means less rush breakouts, more stretch passes, and more icings/turnovers.
Yup. That's some more weird revisionist history.

Nurse was 5th in the league in d zone exits with a success rate over 80% only a few years ago according to SportsLogIQ data.

He struggles now, but it definitely isn't true that he's never been able to move the puck.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
This sub has convinced itself that Klefbom was some kind of legendary #1 defenceman who would've led this team to multiple cups, while Nurse is AHL garbage, despite Nurse having three (fairly recent) seasons where he was just far better than Klefbom ever was by any metric.

I am not a Nurse fan, obviously I recognize that his money could be spent more efficiently elsewhere. And I am not oblivious to how poorly the last couple of playoffs have gone, especially while paired with Ceci. But you all act like he's a complete lost cause, when he's a season removed from putting up 40 even strength points and a +25. it's not unreasonable to think he can bounce back to some degree, and be part of a solid pairing.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This sub has convinced itself that Klefbom was some kind of legendary #1 defenceman who would've led this team to multiple cups, while Nurse is AHL garbage, despite Nurse having three (fairly recent) seasons where he was just far better than Klefbom ever was by any metric.

I am not a Nurse fan, obviously I recognize that his money could be spent more efficiently elsewhere. And I am not oblivious to how poorly the last couple of playoffs have gone, especially while paired with Ceci. But you all act like he's a complete lost cause, when he's a season removed from putting up 40 even strength points and a +25. it's not unreasonable to think he can bounce back to some degree, and be part of a solid pairing.
Klef has been a #3 for many straight years. He's been consistent. Nurse at his best was a #2(Covid season) and at his worst at times is almost unplayable. At no point in time even with one shoulder Klef needed to be babysat

I can guarantee many fans would take a healthy Klef over Nurse right now

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The problem with Nurse is that many of his mistakes are self-inflicted. Unforced icings, lack of attention to detail and just plain being lost. He's 29, he's not really going to get a whole lot better than he is right now. Nobody would say he's AHL-level but he's fallen hard and he really sinks when the playoffs roll around. If he at least elevated his game in the spring most of us would look past his warts but if anything it's the opposite.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022

Klefbom was a true top pairing D and the underlying numbers back that up. Klefbom was actually extremely underrated on HFOil for many years, so its good/interesting to see him get the recognition he deserves now

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Klef has been a #3 for many straight years. He's been consistent. Nurse at his best was a #2(Covid season) and at his worst at times is almost unplayable. At no point in time even with one shoulder Klef needed to be babysat

I can guarantee many fans would take a healthy Klef over Nurse right now
The only thing he was consistent at was getting outscored. The guy had one season in his entire career where he didn't get buried at 5v5.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The only thing he was consistent at is getting outscored. The guy had one season in his entire career where he didn't get buried at 5v5.
2016-17 when the Oilers were a good team? You can tell he was already developing arthritis as well. Nurse has been playing on 3 good Oilers team now and he's been only getting worst.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The only thing he was consistent at was getting outscored. The guy had one season in his entire career where he didn't get buried at 5v5.
I liked Klefbom too! I don't understand this sub at all on this issue. Nurse has been a better Oiler and given us many better seasons than Klefbom ever did, and we shit all over Nurse constantly. I'm not asking for people to hate on Klefbom, but I don't see why it's a foregone conclusion that this is Nurse's level now. He fell apart in the second half of this season, his numbers weren't even that bad up to January if memory serves me right.

Reactions: McDNicks17

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That pick/prospect probably has to be Savoie and a 1st.
Not with JJ making the deals!

Fabbro and Askarov are both 'disgruntled' in NSH and will both not be in that organization past trade deadline.

If JJ can convince NSH that Ceci is a #4Dman then we have a shot.

Rodrigue won't be as 'entitled' as Askarov and has put up better numbers in AHL.

S. O'Rielly could be the pick IMO.. NSH likes their O'Riellys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad