Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I personally think that Nurses' incredible physical attributes along with years of poor coaching have left Nurse with lazy brain. You see where he just sometimes checks out.

In the past, he could always wake up from his daydreaming and skate really fast to make up for his lack of focus. It is why he excelled in the "chasing players aggressively in man to man was probably easier for him."

He was able to check out mentally and just go through the motions and still succeed. Now one needs to make plays and think when playing a zone defense. So Nurse needs to learn to focus again. An argument could be made that he needs to learn to learn again. He's relied too much on his physical attributes so far.

Fixable, IMO.
Fixable? Lmao. This is a player who's biggest knock has always been he has no brain for the game, and your thinking it gets fixed at 30 years old? I mean I guess it's possible, but I wouldn't bet anything on it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I hated that too. HOWEVER, considering the suspension was basically unprecedented up to that point (in the sense that it is overturned nearly 100% of the time), Nurse is an old school player, who wanted to defend his guy. I know some people will twist it as being selfish, but the guy clearly cares about his teammates. Which I think is hardly ever acknowledged here. He gets painted as this selfish guy, when everything we've heard about him points to him being a Jason Smith-type player. It's why I think he was likely battling injuries this year, as his skating just doesn't look like it did a year ago.
It is symptomatic of Nurse's impulsive, reactive decision making that unravels alot of good work he does. It might be a conditioned bad habit of self-belief trying to do too much instead of simple plays but repetition over and over also suggests there is a poor processing ability that factors in.

In a critical moment in the Vegas series within a game already decided, there was zero need for Nurse to skate in and engage in that fight. Big picture his suspension sawed off a significant potential turning point with Peter Angel being suspended.

There is a formidable toolkit with the player, size, skating, innate aggression. But his effectiveness has eroded with erratic own zone play, diminished physical ability to dominate hard ice defending, and tendency to make critical moment mistakes. Think for the first time he may have had a crisis of confidence in this year's playoffs.

Nurse needs to reset including his mental approach to simplify his decision making and reduce risk taking. A big part of that is a long overdue top 4RD upgrade that can alleviate Nurse's impulse to try to do too much with a structured, consistent defending style. This team really needs Nurse to calm his game and better harness a pretty formidable toolkit.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It is symptomatic of Nurse's impulsive, reactive decision making that unravels alot of good work he does. It might be a conditioned bad habit of self-belief trying to do too much instead of simple plays but repetition over and over also suggests there is a poor processing ability that factors in.

In a critical moment in the Vegas series within a game already decided, there was zero need for Nurse to skate in and engage in that fight. Big picture his suspension sawed off a significant potential turning point with Peter Angel being suspended.

There is a formidable toolkit with the player, size, skating, innate aggression. But his effectiveness has eroded with erratic own zone play, diminished physical ability to dominate hard ice defending, and tendency to make critical moment mistakes. Think for the first time he may have had a crisis of confidence in this year's playoffs.

Nurse needs to reset including his mental approach to simplify his decision making and reduce risk taking. A big part of that is a long overdue top 4RD upgrade that can alleviate Nurse's impulse to try to do too much with a structured, consistent defending style. This team really needs Nurse to calm his game and better harness a pretty formidable toolkit.
Nurse did that to himself. The 9.25M essentially forced the Oilers to have a 3M budget for a top4 D. Had he taken 6,5M he could have probably signed Matt Roy

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Nice strawman, you won't find me defending Nurse.
I'm a Nurse fan and I'll defend him. I know how good he was before the Vegas series loss. He's a good player when he's on his game. All the haters on here can come at me. When he does bad, I will call him out. When he does good, I will actually applaud him unlike some other people on here who become blind when he does something good

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nurse did that to himself. The 9.25M essentially forced the Oilers to have a 3M budget for a top4 D. Had he taken 6,5M he could have probably signed Matt Roy
Nurse did what we all would do - maximize our earnings based on what an employer would pay. Of course it's turned into a millstone but he also, like no one here, would take like 30% less of market value of his salary.

Oil rotating management groups kicked his contract down the road until it came due at the perfect storm of an elite Nurse season and the marketplace bloating with overpay for bluechip prime age defenders. Now the organization is in solution mode because the player ain't going anywhere. Jeff Jackson will need to continue to bend the universe to find and squeeze value deals to finish the work needed to upgrade this d-corp's missing piece.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I don't get this either. Everyone grieves differently and at their own pace. He seem to be close to his father and if it brings him some peace and closure by moving on all the best to Larsson.

It’s honestly such a bad look and it’s embarassing to read.

I get it, he kinda screwed the team over, he maybe wasn’t completely honest with his intentions. Sucks as a fan of the team and I understand not wanting to welcome him back.

But you’re an asshole if you make ridiculous comments about how a guy should cope with the sudden unexpected death of a loved one. That is just off base and some oilers fans need to take a step back and understand that there might be bigger things to life than hockey.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Nurse did what we all would do - maximize our earnings based on what an employer would pay. Of course it's turned into a millstone but he also, like no one here, would take like 30% less of market value of his salary.

Oil rotating management groups kicked his contract down the road until it came due at the perfect storm of an elite Nurse season and the marketplace bloating with overpay for bluechip prime age defenders. Now the organization is in solution mode because the player ain't going anywhere. Jeff Jackson will need to continue to bend the universe to find and squeeze value deals to finish the work needed to upgrade this d-corp's missing piece.
Pro athletes take pay cuts all the time. None of us here would take a cut because we aren’t set for life after working 3 years.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Not everyone wants to maximize their $$. Rielly took less than Nurse and he signed after Nurse. Slavin is the latest one to take a major discount and this is after the dead cap era.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Pro athletes take pay cuts all the time. None of us here would take a 30% cut because we aren’t set for life after working 3 years.
Nurse was entering his prime years and earning time. After having the team exercise their rights to drag salary. He wasn't going to take a 30% discount in market value per the poster's price tag. Hometown discount is largely fairy tale lore. But does happen if/when after generational wealth has been realized.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I don't blame Nurse for his contract. I blame him for his performance post-extension. Holland really should've taken the time to hammer out a deal instead of getting spooked that Nurse would leave.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Not everyone wants to maximize their $$. Rielly took less than Nurse and he signed after Nurse. Slavin is the latest one to take a major discount and this is after the dead cap era.
You proposed a 30%+ price tag below what the market rate was. Oil management groups played their control to drag Nurse's salary. They offered the big ticket - as they've done with all their homegrown players - to keep their talent. Unfortunately it's been a disaster with Nurse while Draisaitl killed his deal.

Reactions: Canovin

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You proposed a 30%+ price tag below what the market rate was. Oil management groups played their control to drag Nurse's salary. They offered the big ticket - as they've done with all their homegrown players - to keep their talent. Unfortunately it's been a disaster with Nurse while Draisaitl killed his deal.
Moral of the story: Sign your core guys to 8 year deals as soon as they're off their ELC. Don't bridge them. And especially don't bridge them twice directly to UFA.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don't blame Nurse for his contract. I blame him for his performance post-extension. Holland really should've taken the time to hammer out a deal instead of getting spooked that Nurse would leave.
Oilers run of management groups all have a factor in roster and cap decisions. They scramble to cover their cap threshold spending applying the brakes when they can to young players. Unfortunately when the young players gain their rights of more salary control the money comes due and they get paid. It's been like contract wack-a-mole living through bad decisions of multiple management groups.

Holland bet poorly on Nurse's projection.

Moral of the story: Sign your core guys to 8 year deals as soon as they're off their ELC. Don't bridge them. And especially don't bridge them twice directly to UFA.
That is the moral and the optimum. But too much of the Oilers rotating management of bad decisions is the case study for how not to rebuild organizations. We see Jeff Jackson breaking the contract cycle with the pro-active McLeod deal getting ahead of the next Yamamoto/Puljujarvi overpay.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The only thing he was consistent at was getting outscored. The guy had one season in his entire career where he didn't get buried at 5v5.
Oilers were cumulatively outscored by 222 goals in his tenure with us, we were a terrible team for much of that time, you pretty much needed to be a near Hall of Fame talent to break even or go positive. Heck just looking at McDavid's seasons that overlapped he was dead even twice, just barely positive once, and then solidly positive twice and that's with McDavid being fed heavy o-zone starts.

IMO Klefbom's best season was better than Nurse's best, but the body of Nurse's work is superior and the simple truth of the matter is Klef was never truly healthy with us, his shoulder was already messed up when he came to North America it was more of a case of to what degree was it messed up.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oilers run of management groups all have a factor in roster and cap decisions. They scramble to cover their cap threshold spending applying the brakes when they can to young players. Unfortunately when the young players gain their rights of more salary control the money comes due and they get paid. It's been like contract wack-a-mole living through bad decisions of multiple management groups.

Holland bet poorly on Nurse's projection.

That is the moral and the optimum. But too much of the Oilers rotating management of bad decisions is the case study for how not to rebuild organizations. We see Jeff Jackson breaking the contract cycle with the pro-active McLeod deal getting ahead of the next Yamamoto/Puljujarvi overpay.
Holland bet poorly on a few extensions. Kassian's and Kane's come to mind.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers were cumulatively outscored by 222 goals in his tenure with us, we were a terrible team for much of that time, you pretty much needed to be a near Hall of Fame talent to break even or go positive. Heck just looking at McDavid's seasons that overlapped he was dead even twice, just barely positive once, and then solidly positive twice and that's with McDavid being fed heavy o-zone starts.

IMO Klefbom's best season was better than Nurse's best, but the body of Nurse's work is superior and the simple truth of the matter is Klef was never truly healthy with us, his shoulder was already messed up when he came to North America it was more of a case of to what degree was it messed up.
2017-18Edmonton OilersNHL82620266715----------
2018-19Edmonton OilersNHL8210314187-5----------
2019-20Edmonton OilersNHL715283348-240226

I'm just saying lol. A lot of revisionism happening here.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Nurse was entering his prime years and earning time. After having the team exercise their rights to drag salary. He wasn't going to take a 30% discount in market value per the poster's price tag. Hometown discount is largely fairy tale lore. But does happen if/when after generational wealth has been realized.
I don’t disagree that he should be paid and that a 30% cut is ridiculous. However there’s a difference between not taking a pay cut and pushing for way more money then you are worth.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don’t disagree that he should be paid and that a 30% cut is ridiculous. However there’s a difference between not taking a pay cut and pushing for way more money then you are worth.
The Oilers screwed around with getting a core guy signed, they had two opportunities to lock him up for what he's worth, and if I recall correctly the contract would've come in at the 4s or the 6s (respectfully). Even worse, they spent the money they saved on absolutely nothing.

Nurse's contract is solely on the heads of management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad