Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Ceci for retained Gudas
Nurse and Bourgault for Valimaki, bjugstad (retained) and a pick

Blender Lines based on salary

Kane-McDavid-Skinner
RNH-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Holloway-Henrique-Hyman
Janmark-Bjugstad-Brown
(Perry, Ryan)

Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Kulak
Valimaki-Gudas
(Brown)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Kulak

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hall's under construction house has a better chance of being finished then Larsson being an Oiler again.

We need a PMD as Nurse's partner. When you look back at his career and see who he did the best with it was Bear and Barrie. We need someone like that but with some size and better defending. Maybe a more mature Bouchard could work now and have Ekholm mentor Broberg.
Ekholm and Bouchard is arguably the best d-pairing in the entire league at the moment, especially if you dabble in analytics. I can't fathom breaking them up, it's just way too powerful.

The central core of the issue is Nurse just flat out needs to play better, by all means I want to give him a better partner than Ceci, but the man should not require this much coddling to get a good performance out of him.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Ceci for retained Gudas
Nurse and Bourgault for Valimaki, McBain and a pick

Blender Lines based on salary

Kane-McDavid-Skinner
RNH-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Holloway-Henrique-Hyman
Janmark-McBain-Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Valimaki
Kulak-Gudas

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

sorry i meant retained bjugstad but kept the mcbain meme

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It wasn’t good from what I remember either. Nurse plays better when he has someone that can move the puck and he doesn’t try to do everything himself. Larsson is not that guy.

I could see Nurse - Bouchard being okay now that Bouchard is elite and maybe Larsson with Ekholm. Problem is, you’re breaking up a great pairing just to try to fit a guy onto the team

Even without considering the personal reasons for Larsson never being back, I’d look elsewhere

I actually think the opposite might be the better approach with him.

Let Nurse run around. He has almost no ability whatsoever to be a defensive conscience. I actually shouldn't say almost, he straight up has no ability to be the defensive conscience. His strengths are skating and shooting off the rush. Just let him do that. Pair him with a stable, mature, steady stay at home guy that can clean up messes, and take the chain off of Nurse and have him be the breakout leader - with his feet (he is horrific at outlet passes, but is a one man breakout skating it).

I don't think the "less is more" mantra that gets thrown out as the antidote to Nurse's game is correct. He can't perform with "less is more" because you're taking away the things he's good at (skating, shooting) and forcing him to do things he's not (defensive positioning, defensive reads, etc). Just let him do what he's good at, let him follow his instincts, and put him with a guy that actually knows how to play the position properly.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Let Nurse run around. He has almost no ability whatsoever to be a defensive conscience. I actually shouldn't say almost, he straight up has no ability to be the defensive conscience. His strengths are skating and shooting off the rush. Just let him do that. Pair him with a stable, mature, steady stay at home guy that can clean up messes, and take the chain off of Nurse and have him be the breakout leader - with his feet (he is horrific at outlet passes, but is a one man breakout skating it).

I don't think the "less is more" mantra that gets thrown out as the antidote to Nurse's game is correct. He can't perform with "less is more" because you're taking away the things he's good at (skating, shooting) and forcing him to do things he's not (defensive positioning, defensive reads, etc). Just let him do what he's good at, let him follow his instincts, and put him with a guy that actually knows how to play the position properly.
No- that would just be like pairing him with Ceci. Nurse absolutely cannot move the puck. When you pair him with another D who cannot move the puck- they get hemmed in their own zone- and that’s when the problems happen. Not only that- you massively handicap Leon and his line. The second pair (though I think Nurse will be deployed as a third pair like March of last season and through the playoffs) needs a guy who can move the puck

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
No- that would just be like pairing him with Ceci. Nurse absolutely cannot move the puck. When you pair him with another D who cannot move the puck- they get hemmed in their own zone- and that’s when the problems happen. Not only that- you massively handicap Leon and his line. The second pair (though I think Nurse will be deployed as a third pair like March of last season and through the playoffs) needs a guy who can move the puck

Ceci isn't anywhere close to the defensemen I'm describing.

He needs a legitimate top 4 d man with experience playing well against top matchups in a defensive role. Nurse can create breaking out and off the rush if he has skating urgency and a green light to transport. He's f***ing useless if he's supposed to be the defensive conscience opposite a more offensive puck mover. He can't defend whatsoever and he needs to be with someone that can as their primary strength.

Remember rookie Nurse that would rush pucks up ice, play aggressive, physical hockey, but would just be a let down due to rookie defensive error? All the rookie defensive errors are still there, but he's stopped leveraging any of his strengths at all to rush pucks or play physically. Just give me the rookie version.

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

McDavid himself commented on Nurse's leadership this season.

I think he may have a lot more to do with the pulse of the team and how to play the "modern" game but thats just me.

I do think he is a step behind reading plays in the defensive zone and does not make the right play with the puck.

But I think both those may be true.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

He needs a legitimate top 4 d man with experience playing well against top matchups in a defensive role. Nurse can create breaking out and off the rush if he has skating urgency and a green light to transport. He's f***ing useless if he's supposed to be the defensive conscience opposite a more offensive puck mover. He can't defend whatsoever and he needs to be with someone that can as their primary strength.
Yup. Nurse makes mistakes with the puck, but Ceci is by far the worst off the puck defender on the team. Constantly gets roasted off the rush, loses foot races to pucks, loses every puck battle he even thinks about joining, etc.

Ceci is about as far from the type of defender you described as possible.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021

Finally someone with the same opinion. I feel like im taking crazy pills seeing what people think he needs. He is lost in the dzone and his puck retrievals are embarrassingly bad. He needs someone who can take the pressure of him and allow him to use his strengths.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Finally someone with the same opinion. I feel like im taking crazy pills seeing what people think he needs. He is lost in the dzone and his puck retrievals are embarrassingly bad. He needs someone who can take the pressure of him and allow him to use his strengths.

If I were to bet I would say that the "less is more" message has been what has been sent to him, but he probably has no idea how to actually execute on it. Does "less is more" mean less aggressive on the puck carrier? Less aggressive moving the puck with his feet? Less aggressive joining the rush?

No matter what, any instruction of "less is more" probably means him backing off his actual strengths to try and do something he sucks at.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
If I were to bet I would say that the "less is more" message has been what has been sent to him, but he probably has no idea how to actually execute on it. Does "less is more" mean less aggressive on the puck carrier? Less aggressive moving the puck with his feet? Less aggressive joining the rush?

No matter what, any instruction of "less is more" probably means him backing off his actual strengths to try and do something he sucks at.

Ya ive had the same thoughts about it. He need to play confident and aggressive. Watching him slow down going into the corners or just posting up infront of the net has been painful. He also defers to his d-partner regularly for those retrieval opportunities. Definitely being fed the wrong message from someone.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Ya ive had the same thoughts about it. He need to play confident and aggressive. Watching him slow down going into the corners or just posting up infront of the net has been painful. He also defers to his d-partner regularly for those retrieval opportunities. Definitely being fed the wrong message from someone.

Or the worst - when he has room in front of him to just skate it up ice and out of trouble, but f***ing reverses it to his D partner instead, who is often not expecting a pass because it makes no sense.

We will see a ton more of that play if we put him with a puck mover and confuse him into thinking he has to move it to that guy to make the play.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Hall's under construction house has a better chance of being finished then Larsson being an Oiler again.

We need a PMD as Nurse's partner. When you look back at his career and see who he did the best with it was Bear and Barrie. We need someone like that but with some size and better defending. Maybe a more mature Bouchard could work now and have Ekholm mentor Broberg.
Imagine needing a fit to prop up your 9.25 dman.

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
Kane gave it his all in the playoffs can't really complain. Had a decent (stats wise) regular season when crippled so willing to give him another shot next season. He brings it in the playoffs and we need his skill set. No problem keeping him.

Seemed like Corey kept him in check too.

Haha and anyone who has been apart of a good team or even a good kitchen line knows that you always need that one jerk.

Yup. Nurse makes mistakes with the puck, but Ceci is by far the worst off the puck defender on the team. Constantly gets roasted off the rush, loses foot races to pucks, loses every puck battle he even thinks about joining, etc.

Ceci is about as far from the type of defender you described as possible.
Ceci plays better without Nurse. There's no defending Darnell.

Reactions: ZJuice

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Nurse has 0 puck skills. If you're putting him out as the rover you're just handicapping your forwards. That's why he needs a puck moving partner--not just to get the puck out of the defensive zone, but also to avoid having the point in the offensive zone be a black hole. Tired of seeing o-zone draws go back to Nurse-Ceci only for them to immediately lose possession.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Ekholm and Bouchard is arguably the best d-pairing in the entire league at the moment, especially if you dabble in analytics. I can't fathom breaking them up, it's just way too powerful.

The central core of the issue is Nurse just flat out needs to play better, by all means I want to give him a better partner than Ceci, but the man should not require this much coddling to get a good performance out of him.
You wouldn’t break them up full time and it would be a good test for Bouchard in his contract year. Can he only play with Ekholm or can him and Nurse be a solid pairing?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Remember rookie Nurse that would rush pucks up ice, play aggressive, physical hockey, but would just be a let down due to rookie defensive error? All the rookie defensive errors are still there, but he's stopped leveraging any of his strengths at all to rush pucks or play physically. Just give me the rookie version.
Nurse and Ceci are the Chaos Twins together. Prone to impulsive, erratic play in which both leave team structure to chase into low danger ice leaving their partner flaying with coverage issues. They can't play together.

The challenge with Nurse is that he could use both a strong, structured d-partner who delivers reliable, consistent own zone play. But he could also use a smart two-way guy who can efficiently move the puck to this team's forward group either by distribution or puck carry out of zone.

Young Nurse was a hard ice physical defender with skating to help transport pucks and provide some offensive finishing with strong wristers coming in late within the high slot. He was still a 10 goal 32 point d-man this season but he's become a major liability as a giveaway machine and tendency to have huge, timely mistakes too often self-induced with his impulsive, poor judgement moments. This undoes a lot of good work he often does. I'm inclined to lean slightly to a strong, structured d-partner. Get that defending piece solidified and some of the offensive elements of Nurse's game might manifest again.

Reactions: K1984

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Even for you this is pretty stupid.

People like Larsson because Larsson is good at hockey and fit in here well.
He obviously didn’t think he ‘fit in well here’ because he chose to leave at the first opportunity. It’s a big no thank you to Adam Larsson.

Seemed like Corey kept him in check too.
Corey needs to spend less time scolding teammates and focus on playing better. Guy was a f***ing disaster out there. And I say that as a fan who wanted him here.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He obviously didn’t think he ‘fit in well here’ because he chose to leave at the first opportunity. It’s a big no thank you to Adam Larsson.

Corey needs to spend less time scolding teammates and focus on playing better. Guy was a f***ing disaster out there. And I say that as a fan who wanted him here.
This is like telling a half truth to fit an agenda, and you know it. What a load of crap, but at the same time I'm not surprised in the least (seeing who posted this). You know why he left and why he won't come back, but you're still butthurt about it. Move on already.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Any young player who is coming off of a cheap ELC would take the offer sheet. If a team, even a rebuilding one, offers Broberg $4m+ he's gone unless the Oilers miraculously match.
There’s really no evidence that’s true.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Nurse played with Bouchard, would that fix Nurse? I don't know. I used to think Nurse could be saved by a good PMD, after the Playoffs I'm more inclined to think there's not much that can be done to save him. At some point he just needs to be better and we should expect that he's better instead hoping some magical partner will save him. There's only so much a partner can do, the individual brain farts he has needs to be fixed by himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad