Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think keeping Kane is the right move, even if he didn't have a NMC. You don't know for certain who Skinner and Arvidsson are going to work with, and now you also have a young offensive prospect coming up who needs guys to play with. I think there's a decent chance Kane works his way into a top six role.

I agree, this team needs Kane. He is a unicorn here.

Having said that, I do have concerns.

1. He needs to be healthy. I think Jackson is approaching this the right way. Let him try to heal up naturally and if that doesn't work, he can go for the surgery at that time. Kane can't keep playing through injury.

2. He needs to be happy in his role. With the depth we have now, he can't complain about individual goals, ice-time and linemates. This is a championship caliber team, and he might be on the "3rd line" and play away from McDrai.

As long as he is healthy and checks his ego at the door, I want Kane on this team. I just don't know that he's ready to do those things. This is where it can get messy, and I could see a disgruntled Kane getting moved at the deadline.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
To me the guy they should be looking at now is Victor Soderstrom. With all the moves Utah has made this summer he’s been passed over big time on their depth chart and he’s waiver eligible now. To me it’d make a ton of sense to move Ceci, bring in Soderstrom on the cheap and then plan to have him and Stecher fight it out/rotate in on the bottom pairing with Kulak. See if Coffey and company can bring out that potential that lead to him being picked 11th overall a few years back like they did with Broberg.
Now there's an interesting name, good digging BarDown! Right shot, good skater, decent first pass guy. I don't think Coffey will be back behind the bench though, with the rumours of him not coming back. He just likes being the guy whispering in Katz's ear I think, a consultant role without actually having to do the legwork of coaching / management.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
to the bolded, come on man, you start slinging this stuff, expect to be debated without pre-emptively hand waving those debating you, or don’t bother

Kane‘s sharks contract was all spoken for with creditors, so I don’t see how that changes how much he should have been paid on the next contract.

Like I said, he had come off a great bounceback season and a dominant playoffs (didn’t he have two hat tricks??). Of course skepticism about past behaviour would have put him off with other teams (pretty much every player aside from the most elite, has teams that would not be interested in). He was going to get paid here or elsewhere.

What do you feel would have been a fair deal? $4.5M? Do you think that would be a lot easier to move? Or do you think a $6M deal without NMC (NMC gets you a discount, this is known to be the case) would be easier to move?

There were talks at the time that Kane was seeking 7x7. He had 13 goals in 15 games during the playoffs. If we didn't pay him a reasonable salary (which I think Holland did a good job with) someone else would have given him that contract. Holland didn't overpay in term or dollars.

It actually really frustrates me when fans think guys need to take massive discounts. You might be able to get guys for cheap on show me contracts (which is what we did with Kane to start) but eventually you have to pay them something reasonable.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
To me the guy they should be looking at now is Victor Soderstrom. With all the moves Utah has made this summer he’s been passed over big time on their depth chart and he’s waiver eligible now. To me it’d make a ton of sense to move Ceci, bring in Soderstrom on the cheap and then plan to have him and Stecher fight it out/rotate in on the bottom pairing with Kulak. See if Coffey and company can bring out that potential that lead to him being picked 11th overall a few years back like they did with Broberg.
That’s a great guy to target if he comes somewhat cheap. He’s on a similar trajectory to Boqvist but his reputation has always been as a better defender.

I love the idea of gambling on someone a little younger on our third pairing. It’s not going to make or break our year and we can always bring in help at the deadline if the gamble doesn’t pay off.

Reactions: Shizuka

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
There were talks at the time that Kane was seeking 7x7. He had 13 goals in 15 games during the playoffs. If we didn't pay him a reasonable salary (which I think Holland did a good job with) someone else would have given him that contract. Holland didn't overpay in term or dollars.

It actually really frustrates me when fans think guys need to take massive discounts. You might be able to get guys for cheap on show me contracts (which is what we did with Kane to start) but eventually you have to pay them something reasonable.

Yeah I remember that now as well. I also remember a lot of fans expecting Kane to move on after the playoffs as the Oilers wouldn’t be able to afford him

If Skinner knocks it out here and they somehow bring him back at a discount, I could see a lot of the same revisionist stuff going on if he falls off for any reason in the following season or two

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think we might be waiting until training camp.

If Kane isn't healthy, he goes on LTIR.

If he refuses or is ready to go, we move on from Ceci.

1720551632578.png

One thing I think GM's do, is they try "budget" and stick money into buckets for each position.

For example, Skinner is making 2.6M, Pickard is 1M and Campbell is 1.1 for a total of 4.7M - which is great for NHL goaltending.

I think management will want to see money come out of forward group. With the Oilers adding Henrique (3M), Skinner (3M) and Arvidsson (4) we added 10M to our forward group (and that's not even factoring in Browns bonus money). We only saw Foegele (2.75M) and McLeod (2.1M) for 3.85M in cash moved out. We can justify increasing our forward spending because the goaltending is so low and due to the increase in cap.

Having said that, I thought we would try to improve our defense somehow. I don't really like penciling in Broberg into the top 4. I guess we shall see, given that the way Jackson talks about Kane, he wants to make sure he feels valued and is a big part of the team. I just don't see how you keep Kane AND improve the defense.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Bertuzzi just signed for 5.5 million and had less pts last season than Hobbled Kane did who played lots of 3rd line last season Bertuzzi was on the top 2 lines for the majority of the season, he would have had 55-60 points last season if healthy, and I'm sure the Oilers are more than happy to keep him
I'm not going to argue Bertuzzi is worth his new contract, but I will say if you dig into the numbers pretty much universally TOR players had better SCF%, XGF%, GF%, and HDCF% with Bertuzzi than without. Where as Kane actively made all of McDavid, Drai, RNH, and McLeod worse by pretty noticeable margins, sure you can point to injury or the quality of linemates replacing him, but at it's core Bertuzzi lifted his linemates and Evander Kane was an anchor dragging his linemates down.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

I'm wondering on this idea that is now out there that Kane somehow refused to go on LTIR last season. The playoffs were not a done deal and his play was one of the reasons they made it.

I'm pretty sure the team put him in whenever he was good enough to go because he gave them a better chance to win.

Do people who started this rumour think he has some big machismo thing concerning not going on the LTIR?

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm wondering on this idea that is now out there that Kane somehow refused to go on LTIR last season. The playoffs were not a done deal and his play was one of the reasons they made it.

I'm pretty sure the team put him in whenever he was good enough to go because he gave them a better chance to win.

Do people who started this rumour think he has some big machismo thing concerning not going on the LTIR?

I mean the rumors are from the 2 mutts podcast, who are friends with Kane. Kane probably thinks he will be healthy enough to play without the surgery. I believe the Oilers want Kane to be at or near 100%. I also believe that's why Jackson mentioned a second opinion. According to Gregor, he thinks Evander will try to heal naturally. He respects Kanes decision because sometimes surgery only makes things worse. He also doesn't think that healing naturally, will work. Gregor thinks that if he isn't healthy, the Oilers will ask him to get the surgery and put him on LTIR. At which point Kane should compromise as he tried it his way and it didn't work.

The problem is Kane may not be that rational. If he thinks he's good enough and wants to play, he will play. If Kane doesn't want to go on LTIR, the Oilers can't force him. They also cant trade him because of his NMC.

The only leverage the Oilers have is that his NMC becomes a NTC in March.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
faceofhorror.org

View attachment 893631

One thing I think GM's do, is they try "budget" and stick money into buckets for each position.

For example, Skinner is making 2.6M, Pickard is 1M and Campbell is 1.1 for a total of 4.7M - which is great for NHL goaltending.

I think management will want to see money come out of forward group. With the Oilers adding Henrique (3M), Skinner (3M) and Arvidsson (4) we added 10M to our forward group (and that's not even factoring in Browns bonus money). We only saw Foegele (2.75M) and McLeod (2.1M) for 3.85M in cash moved out. We can justify increasing our forward spending because the goaltending is so low and due to the increase in cap.

Having said that, I thought we would try to improve our defense somehow. I don't really like penciling in Broberg into the top 4. I guess we shall see, given that the way Jackson talks about Kane, he wants to make sure he feels valued and is a big part of the team. I just don't see how you keep Kane AND improve the defense.
I agree. I think we are in trouble if Broberg doesn't play at the same level as he was in the playoffs.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Can't see it. The Oilers will look to definitely upgrade their d-corp versus adding more question marks with a guy that has 53 NHL games across 4 seasons split evenly between AHL and a marginal NHL parent club. A meager 11 NHL points. Add that he's sub 6' and a slight 180 pounds.

There's a reason mediocre Utah have invested massively to upgrade their blueline. It wasn't good and in cases like Soderstrom haven't delivered. Running a RD with sub age 25 Bouchard, Broberg (still growing his young game), and an even more unproven Soderstrom would be disastrous for a true Cup contender.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I mean the rumors are from the 2 mutts podcast, who are friends with Kane. Kane probably thinks he will be healthy enough to play without the surgery. I believe the Oilers want Kane to be at or near 100%. I also believe that's why Jackson mentioned a second opinion. According to Gregor, he thinks Evander will try to heal naturally. He respects Kanes decision because sometimes surgery only makes things worse. He also doesn't think that healing naturally, will work. Gregor thinks that if he isn't healthy, the Oilers will ask him to get the surgery and put him on LTIR. At which point Kane should compromise as he tried it his way and it didn't work.

The problem is Kane may not be that rational. If he thinks he's good enough and wants to play, he will play. If Kane doesn't want to go on LTIR, the Oilers can't force him. They also cant trade him because of his NMC.

The only leverage the Oilers have is that his NMC becomes a NTC in March.
The coach and the GM decide if he plays. Kind of sounds like a bit of a cop-out. Holland appeared to want him to play as the playoffs were in doubt.

Now this coming season may be a different story. Perhaps this is where the surgery questions are now raised.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Of course, like many things that happen behind the closed doors of a GMs office we don’t have enough information to confirm one way or the other. So you are left with your best guess based on the available information and at best an opinion can be formed. So like i said, I completely understand if you disagree with it. But my read of that situation, taking in the totality of what was known about that situation, my opinion is as I stated. I can’t peg an exact number, but imo Holland left money on the table. A PR disaster to 90% of the League with a player that wanted/needed to be here and would likely have his earnings topped off regardless of the AAV we offered him could have been had for cheaper.
It was widely reported by Seravalli and others that Kane had offers on the table and while he obviously wasn’t going to get the 40-50M that him and his agent were angling for, I think a reasonable opinion based on what insiders were saying that he could of made more money either in way of term or just higher AAV then what he got from the Oilers. The full NMC he received is because he was taking less money to stay with the Oilers so he wanted to ensure he was going to have that control. If anything Kane left money on the table and not Holland.

Look at the contracts that get handed out. Kane was coming off twenty something goals in 40 something games and then going ppg and being an absolute menace in the playoffs. I find it impossible to believe that there wasn’t any other team in the league that wouldn’t offer a bit more then 4x5.1 for a 20-30 goal a year power forward who plays with an edge.

And I don’t buy the whole “PR nightmare” spin. By that time the league had come out and said that there was nothing to substantiate his crazy ex wife’s claims of abuse (I’m pretty sure a court had also awarded him full custody of their kid at that point) the initial backlash and outrage had subsided and Kane had been doing lots of good work in the community. At that point only the most easily offended or the people who just don’t like Kane would be up in arms about it and those are the type of people that you don’t have to care about what they think. The majority of a teams fans would be stoked to have on ice Kane suiting up for their team. Just like so many Oilers fans did.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Add to that, Ceci is serviceable for a 2RD, and Ive would had kept Ceci if Nurse was moveable.
Ceci needs to build up himself again, after been left in fire by nurse for a year or two. He is absolulty a 2RD NHL D, and righthanded top 4 Ds is a tradetarget.

I would trade Ceci for a 2nd rounder and a D prospect. Then flip that 2nd rounder and someone more for a vet RD
Ceci....

ezgif-5-a20f3343a7.gif

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
He's right Ceci can play competent regular season top-4 RHD minutes, especially on a non-playoff team. He's just not that for a contender.

I wouldn't trade Ceci without having an upgrade locked in though. I see a lot of people wanting to dump him and have a bottom pairing dman or project player fill in as a replacement. There just aren't a lot of quality RHD in the league right now and if we dump Ceci I'd be worried that we won't even be able to find someone Ceci level to replace him.

It's also probably worth mentioning that our defence as it was last season was definitely good enough to win a cup. Our goals against was very respectable in rounds three and four. It was ultimately our offence that let us down (and we've already improved that).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wouldn't trade Ceci without having an upgrade locked in though. I see a lot of people wanting to dump him and have a bottom pairing dman or project player fill in as a replacement. There just aren't a lot of quality RHD in the league right now and if we dump Ceci I'd be worried that we won't even be able to find someone Ceci level to replace him.

It's also probably worth mentioning that our defence as it was last season was definitely good enough to win a cup. Our goals against was very respectable in rounds three and four. It was ultimately our offence that let us down (and we've already improved that).
If they dumped Ceci and made a go of it with Broberg at RHD, they're still better.

Though a replacement would be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad