Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
What about Patrick Kane as a rental?

Detroit is a fraud team (sorry Yzerplan, this ain't Tampa Bay) and Kane may want to get dealt to a team with a legit chance to win.

Didn't Kane and Barzal have a little bromance at an ASG or something?

Barzal-Bo-Kane

Could be interesting.
I don’t want to give up assets for someone we could’ve just signed. I also doubt Detroit gives him up just a few weeks after signing him.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
What about Patrick Kane as a rental?

Detroit is a fraud team (sorry Yzerplan, this ain't Tampa Bay) and Kane may want to get dealt to a team with a legit chance to win.

Didn't Kane and Barzal have a little bromance at an ASG or something?

Barzal-Bo-Kane

Could be interesting.
Yzerplan ain’t looking so hot…kinda missing some inherited franchise players when he started.

On Kane, seems like he signed there out of convenience, close enough to Chicago to maintain his primary residence/family, gets east coast travel, a team that could pay him, and a team that could give him playing time. (And Yzerman’s desperation to make the playoffs).

Reactions: PWJunior

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The Twelve Days of Hockeys Future Islander Posters

On the first day of Christmas
my true love sent to me
a Barzal feeding Horvat.

On the second day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Two Nelson snipes,
and a Barzal feeding Horvat.

On the third day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Three Lee tips,
Two Nelson snipes,
And a Barzal feeding Horvat.

On the fourth day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Four More Cups,
Three Lee tips,
Two Nelson snipes,

On the fifth day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Five Holmstrom shorties,
Four More Cups,
Three Lee tips,
Two Nelson snipes,

On the sixth day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Six Posters whining,
Five Holmstrom shorties,
Four More Cups,
Three Lee tips,
Two Nelson snipes,

On the seventh day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Seven Dobbie Helpers,
Six Posters whining,
Five Holmstrom shorties,
Four More Cups,
Three Lee tips,
Two Nelson snipes,

On the eighth day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Eight Ranger beatdowns,
Seven Dobbie Helpers,
Six Posters whining,
Five Holmstrom shorties,
Four More Cups,
Three Lee tips,
Two Nelson snipes,

On the ninth day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Nine OT Losses,
Eight Ranger beatdowns,
Seven Dobbie Helpers,
Six Posters whining,
Five Holmstrom shorties,
Four More Cups,
Three Lee tips,
Two Nelson snipes,

On the tenth day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Ten Lane adjustments,
Nine OT Losses,
Eight Ranger beatdowns,
Seven Dobbie Helpers,
Six Posters whining,
Five Holmstrom shorties,
Four More Cups,
Three Lee tips,
Two Nelson snipes,

On the eleventh day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Eleven Soro glove saves,
Ten Lane adjustments,
Nine OT Losses,
Eight Ranger beatdowns,
Seven Dobbie Helpers,
Six Posters whining,
Five Holmstrom shorties,
Four More Cups,
Three Lee tips,
Two Nelson snipes,

On the twelfth day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Twelve Reg Wins Next Month,
Eleven Soro glove saves,
Ten Lane adjustments,
Nine OT Losses,
Eight Ranger beatdowns,
Seven Dobbie Helpers,
Six Posters whining,
Five Holmstrom shorties,
Four More Cups,
Three Lee tips,
Two Nelson snipes,
And a Barzal feeding Horvat!

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Exactly, couldn’t stay within team system for a game. Barzal and other offense producing players get leeway to attempt chances but JHS did it every shift hence why he never made it.
To me, without analyzing any specific play, structure or systems; what always stood out with Ho-Sang was how often the opposing team was counter attacking with speed and numbers... more so than with other lines.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Yeah. Not easy being told you're the favorite and should win every game. Especially as a teenager.
Would have been nice to see them demonstrate a killer instinct right out of the gate and not only get the win but stretch out the goal differential. The PP in the first was somewhat uninspired and Norway likely generated more high danger chances in the first. They also gave up a shorty in the third. Was disappointed in Gauthier and his one-timer after expecting bit more based on his ability. Nice pass on goal 4 I think it was though.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Islanders are on pace for 102 points and a 40-20-22 record.

They aren't going to have 22 OT/SO losses, so the key of course is winning more of those games, that for some reason we have IMMENSELY struggled with this year. Sorokin has a .935 save percentage until the 3rd period and on where the wheels completely come off.

Point Production on Pace are as follows:

Barzal: 25 goals/63 assists/88 points
Dobson: 12-73-85
Horvat: 35-48-83
Nelson: 40-35-75
Palmieri: 23-30-63
Lee: 25-12-37
Holmstrom: 25-8-33
Engvall: 10-23-33
JGP: 5-27-32
Clutter: 10-17-27
Cizikas: 12-12-24

Barzal's would be career-highs across the board, and definitely should be with goals as he hasn't ever remotely come close to 3SA per game before, which he is doing now...

Dobby's numbers will probably not continue as he assuredly will get a minutes reduction once the three vets come back, but I could still see him matching his 13 goals (twice) career marks and blowing past his 38 assists high of 2 seasons ago. 15-65-80 is obtainable

Horvat is clearly on pace for a career-best season in points even if he doesn't net it with his goals (38 is career best)- but the bottom line is you need 120 combined from him, Nelson, Lee and Palms and they are on pace to get there (123), so that is a plus-plus; especially after a recent rebound from Anders

Holmstrom isn't mantaining his 33% shooting percentage, but finishing close to 20 goals would be a real nice surprise

Need more from Engvall and JGP and considering both are shooting way below their career marks (4.9 as opposed to 11.4 for JGP and 8.5 as opposed to 11.1 for PE) then there is at least hope things will turn around as the season goes on

It's kind of been a resurgence of sorts for Clutterbuck and Cizikas as far as point production, which has been nice to see

Considering 10 of the 11 listed above are forwards, adding Parise back and you could certainly do a lot worse than just having to find a 12th guy (playing on the identity line) among Martin/Fasching/Gauthier etc as far as a competent forward group

Defensively is a different story outside of Dobson...

Need the transition to go well when Mayfield, Pelech and Pulock return and it seems we have founf a solid enough 6th defender to help with the puck in Reilly (7 points in 13 games). Sadly, those 7 points are as many as Romanov has in 33 games, one more than Pulock has in 25 games (6), as many as Mayfield and Pelech have in 37 combined games (7) and two more than Bolduc and Aho have gotten in a combined 48 games (5).

Still, one would think we would be deeper and better off once the 3 guys get back, assuming Lane can make the transition and pair them up right as well as get the right shifts at the right time. Sure, we could use an upgrade- but it would be a welcomed site to have Aho and Bolduc battling it out as your 6-8 options with the newly acquired Bortuzzo.

Scoring much more, thanks a lot to the PP which is now 6th in the league.....but our PK absolutely has to improve (dead last at 71%). Hopefully Mayfield and Pelech not too far behind after can help that- and remember Zach played plenty there for us as well....

So I would list it as follows on keys to getting to compete this season- and adding someone at the deadline (due to our salary cap restraints it would be a modest add more than likely) wouldn't even be in my top 5:

1. Get healthy on D (Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield)
2. Improve on PK
3. Sorokin more like himself
4. More production from Pageau/Engvall
5. More offensive production from D-men
6. Parise return
7. Continued improved play from Lee
8. Upgrade on defense (puck mover)
9. Upgrade at forward
10. More consistency on 4th line at LW with CC's

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Islanders are on pace for 102 points and a 40-20-22 record.

They aren't going to have 22 OT/SO losses, so the key of course is winning more of those games, that for some reason we have IMMENSELY struggled with this year. Sorokin has a .935 save percentage until the 3rd period and on where the wheels completely come off.

Point Production on Pace are as follows:

Barzal: 25 goals/63 assists/88 points
Dobson: 12-73-85
Horvat: 35-48-83
Nelson: 40-35-75
Palmieri: 23-30-63
Lee: 25-12-37
Holmstrom: 25-8-33
Engvall: 10-23-33
JGP: 5-27-32
Clutter: 10-17-27
Cizikas: 12-12-24

Barzal's would be career-highs across the board, and definitely should be with goals as he hasn't ever remotely come close to 3SA per game before, which he is doing now...

Dobby's numbers will probably not continue as he assuredly will get a minutes reduction once the three vets come back, but I could still see him matching his 13 goals (twice) career marks and blowing past his 38 assists high of 2 seasons ago. 15-65-80 is obtainable

Horvat is clearly on pace for a career-best season in points even if he doesn't net it with his goals (38 is career best)- but the bottom line is you need 120 combined from him, Nelson, Lee and Palms and they are on pace to get there (123), so that is a plus-plus; especially after a recent rebound from Anders

Holmstrom isn't mantaining his 33% shooting percentage, but finishing close to 20 goals would be a real nice surprise

Need more from Engvall and JGP and considering both are shooting way below their career marks (4.9 as opposed to 11.4 for JGP and 8.5 as opposed to 11.1 for PE) then there is at least hope things will turn around as the season goes on

It's kind of been a resurgence of sorts for Clutterbuck and Cizikas as far as point production, which has been nice to see

Considering 10 of the 11 listed above are forwards, adding Parise back and you could certainly do a lot worse than just having to find a 12th guy (playing on the identity line) among Martin/Fasching/Gauthier etc as far as a competent forward group

Defensively is a different story outside of Dobson...

Need the transition to go well when Mayfield, Pelech and Pulock return and it seems we have founf a solid enough 6th defender to help with the puck in Reilly (7 points in 13 games). Sadly, those 7 points are as many as Romanov has in 33 games, one more than Pulock has in 25 games (6), as many as Mayfield and Pelech have in 37 combined games (7) and two more than Bolduc and Aho have gotten in a combined 48 games (5).

Still, one would think we would be deeper and better off once the 3 guys get back, assuming Lane can make the transition and pair them up right as well as get the right shifts at the right time. Sure, we could use an upgrade- but it would be a welcomed site to have Aho and Bolduc battling it out as your 6-8 options with the newly acquired Bortuzzo.

Scoring much more, thanks a lot to the PP which is now 6th in the league.....but our PK absolutely has to improve (dead last at 71%). Hopefully Mayfield and Pelech not too far behind after can help that- and remember Zach played plenty there for us as well....

So I would list it as follows on keys to getting to compete this season- and adding someone at the deadline (due to our salary cap restraints it would be a modest add more than likely) wouldn't even be in my top 5:

1. Get healthy on D (Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield)
2. Improve on PK
3. Sorokin more like himself
4. More production from Pageau/Engvall
5. More offensive production from D-men
6. Parise return
7. Continued improved play from Lee
8. Upgrade on defense (puck mover)
9. Upgrade at forward
10. More consistency on 3rd line at LW with CC's
I see the biggest need on the 3rd line. Parise is the obvious thing, but he's 39 now and hasn't played in months so it's possible that even if he comes back it doesn't work out. If they make the playoffs, it's important to be able to roll out 3 lines that put offensive pressure on the opposition. Complicating matters is that Holmstrom hasn't really played more than 60 or so games in a season so he could wear down, and he's not playoff-proven. So, someone to provide offense on the 3rd line (and 2nd PP unit) would be good for this season. Or, maybe they just add Parise and hope Wahlstrom or Dufour or Maggio becomes that guy by next season?

Reactions: Lights911

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
I see the biggest need on the 3rd line. Parise is the obvious thing, but he's 39 now and hasn't played in months so it's possible that even if he comes back it doesn't work out. If they make the playoffs, it's important to be able to roll out 3 lines that put offensive pressure on the opposition. Complicating matters is that Holmstrom hasn't really played more than 60 or so games in a season so he could wear down, and he's not playoff-proven. So, someone to provide offense on the 3rd line (and 2nd PP unit) would be good for this season. Or, maybe they just add Parise and hope Wahlstrom or Dufour or Maggio becomes that guy by next season?
I wonder if Lou gets Parise for that 4th line LW spot and looks to get a guy like Henrique or Eberle for the 3rd line

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Holmstrom is basically the same size as Clark Gillies was, just an inch shorter. He won't wear down.

As far as the rest is concerned, we have no issues putting the puck in the net. Why fix something that isn't broken right now that costs assets?

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
In reference to the possible 3rd liners for next season, I’d love to see Dufour or Maggio get there. Those would be major strides for either of them based on where they are today. It could happen but neither of them are lighting it up this season and they’re both 5th round picks (but overachieving ones at that).

In any event, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them along with the upcoming first round pick were to be flipped at the TDL.

Reactions: MJF

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I wonder if Lou gets Parise for that 4th line LW spot and looks to get a guy like Henrique or Eberle for the 3rd line

How do you get the cap you need to make either work? This is basically your lineup on offense, with Parise as a late possible add. We already have to let someone go when the defense is healthy.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If Parise’s skating shows no dropoff at 39, I think he slots in as a PKer and 4th liner. I would still be inclined to keep Gauthier on the 3rd line with JGP and Holmstrom.

I don’t see a need to rock the boat with the 3rd line yet. Wouldn’t bother going for a Henrique or Eberle.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Someone like Barabanov would be a useful add for the 3rd line. This team is already quicker, he would compound that.

They are roughly 7th in the league at team speed, avg 23+ mph per game. They also pass the eye test; they look faster.

Reactions: mm11

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't recall who COL had on their 3rd line when they won their Cup a couple of years ago, but VGK and TBL had extremely effective 3rd lines. So that's 3 of the last 4 Cups, at minimum. Just saying. Depth matters.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Someone like Barabanov would be a useful add for the 3rd line. This team is already quicker, he would compound that.

They are roughly 7th in the league at team speed, avg 23+ mph per game. They also pass the eye test; they look faster.
how in the wild west is team speed measured? Some guy sitting in the stands with a stop watch wearing a Fedora smoking a stogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad