Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
how in the wild west is team speed measured? Some guy sitting in the stands with a stop watch wearing a Fedora smoking a stogie

Lol, the players are wearing chips on their sweaters; tracks everything.

I was shocked they are in the top-10.

Reactions: mm11

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
how in the wild west is team speed measured? Some guy sitting in the stands with a stop watch wearing a Fedora smoking a stogie

IMG_2140.jpeg

Maybe it’s the driving crooner?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Could Pavel Buchnevich be on the market?
would have to get creative to fit his 5.8 . if Armstrong is truly shopping he probably waits until the deadline to optimize return .

maybe Armstrong is willing to retain on Saad but he has 3 years left at 4.5

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
would have to get creative to fit his 5.8 . if Armstrong is truly shopping he probably waits until the deadline to optimize return .

maybe Armstrong is willing to retain on Saad but he has 3 years left at 4.5
Armstrong will do whatever he can to keep his charade going under the mess he created.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I see the biggest need on the 3rd line. Parise is the obvious thing, but he's 39 now and hasn't played in months so it's possible that even if he comes back it doesn't work out. If they make the playoffs, it's important to be able to roll out 3 lines that put offensive pressure on the opposition. Complicating matters is that Holmstrom hasn't really played more than 60 or so games in a season so he could wear down, and he's not playoff-proven. So, someone to provide offense on the 3rd line (and 2nd PP unit) would be good for this season. Or, maybe they just add Parise and hope Wahlstrom or Dufour or Maggio becomes that guy by next season?
If he shows up, probably after the winter break for his kids and the Isles have gotten closer to 40 games.

Also, the longer he remains out there, the more available cap space the Isles have for other moves. Let’s face, if Lou makes above he’s unlikely subtracting a body from the lineup as a salary swap. So, only Wally would be the logical outgoing salary.

Next consider max available playoff games is 28, but minimum is 16, probably average for a Cup winner is 22? Say, in the players mind a playoff game is 1.5 level of effort vs a regular season game. So, 22 could be viewed as 33 games.

Parise is probably balancing home life, giving Lou the opportunity to maximize cap space, and trying to time when to return based on schedule and also total games for him to actually play (wear and tear).

So, anywhere beyond game 40 puts him in 1/2 to 2/3s of a season played.

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
I see the biggest need on the 3rd line. Parise is the obvious thing, but he's 39 now and hasn't played in months so it's possible that even if he comes back it doesn't work out. If they make the playoffs, it's important to be able to roll out 3 lines that put offensive pressure on the opposition. Complicating matters is that Holmstrom hasn't really played more than 60 or so games in a season so he could wear down, and he's not playoff-proven. So, someone to provide offense on the 3rd line (and 2nd PP unit) would be good for this season. Or, maybe they just add Parise and hope Wahlstrom or Dufour or Maggio becomes that guy by next season?
This team has three top six players that play consistently on most nights and the rest are third and fourth liner most nights and you want to add more I don’t get it, if this team wants to go anywhere in the playoffs they are going to have to find a why to get a player like Guentzel.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I love Parise's work ethic and relentless drive, but I'd rather have someone with more speed.
I think we would be very fortunate is Parise decides to come back here. Not convinced he will be the same player having sat out half the year though.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think we would be very fortunate is Parise decides to come back here. Not convinced he will be the same player having sat out half the year though.
Parise could be a freak of nature and jump right back into PK duties without missing a beat after 6 months away from the NHL.

I'm just not counting on that.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
This team has three top six players that play consistently on most nights and the rest are third and fourth liner most nights and you want to add more I don’t get it, if this team wants to go anywhere in the playoffs they are going to have to find a why to get a player like Guentzel.
I was actually thinking about someone like Kuzmenko (who I mentioned in another post) who could make the 3rd line more dangerous and also slot in on the 2nd PP unit. So not far off what you're thinking, just not putting all the eggs in 2 baskets. VGK won a Cup last year rolling 3 dangerous lines.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Don't most teams who acquire a big name at the deadline tend to bust come playoff time?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Don't most teams who acquire a big name at the deadline tend to bust come playoff time?
Don't bring that up with Butch . . .

Behind a paywall: (Ron Francis was huge for Pittsburgh)
The Athletic
https://theathletic.com/4255827

The best NHL players ever traded at the deadline and the deals …

WebFeb 28, 2023 · 10. Ron Francis . Ron Francis was traded twice in his illustrious 1,731-game NHL career, both times within 24 hours of the trade deadline. Only once did things pan out as hoped.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I was actually thinking about someone like Kuzmenko (who I mentioned in another post) who could make the 3rd line more dangerous and also slot in on the 2nd PP unit. So not far off what you're thinking, just not putting all the eggs in 2 baskets. VGK won a Cup last year rolling 3 dangerous lines.
The wrong type of player for this team - Vancouver is struggling with his 5-on-5 game and he is having trouble fitting into Tocchet's system.

Parise works in that 3rd line spot, but if they are going to grab a player via trade then I would like to see them find another top 6 player someone who bumps Palmieri down to the 3rd line and on the 2nd PP unit.

Lee - Horvat - Barzal
Engvall/???? - Nelson - ????/Engvall
Holmstrom - Pageau - Palmieri

The issue is how they manage the cap. I still think Pinto fits the bill for now and future

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
The wrong type of player for this team - Vancouver is struggling with his 5-on-5 game and he is having trouble fitting into Tocchet's system.

Parise works in that 3rd line spot, but if they are going to grab a player via trade then I would like to see them find another top 6 player someone who bumps Palmieri down to the 3rd line and on the 2nd PP unit.

Lee - Horvat - Barzal
Engvall/???? - Nelson - ????/Engvall
Holmstrom - Pageau - Palmieri

The issue is how they manage the cap. I still think Pinto fits the bill for now and future

Stamkos

scott99

May 13, 2005
I would love for them to trade for Hannifan. Kuzmenko is a pipe dream as far as I’m concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad