Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Now, let's see if one can actually ANSWER the question!

If Aho is benched, like the point I responded to, with Pulock on the IR . . . who plays the right side? Bolduc or Reilly? Or do we keep playing Aho?
They play Bortuzzo and if no Bortuzzo Reilly plays the RH side

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Lee is not going anywhere - no one is taking that contract and Lou values him more than we do.

Palmieri would have to go the other way or a 3rd team would have to get involved for retention - and a lot of it, because the 3rd team would have to retain for next season as well.

IF by the TDL - Pulock is still out, then Isles could be cheeky and keep Pulock on LTIR until the post season that would free up 6.15 of cap and Lou could add Buch.

In the off-season, Palmieri then can be moved for a pick and Lou can fill that RW3 with a cheaper player

I think if they are looking to upgrade it will be one of Pelech or Pulock that gets dealt (assuming they can get out from under the contracts? Can’t over look that a trade that costs a 7th round pick and a waiver wire pick up have out performed or been equivalent to these 2.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Palmieri is still very important. I think you'd HOPE Maggio or Dufour take that role but neither are even close to being ready now
This is also why I can keep harping on Pinto.
Once, he returns from suspension he will sign his QO at .875 which Isles can easily fit.

He becomes an RFA with no arbitration rights so Lou can sign him for 2m or so.

Ottawa with new Coach and GM/ Presidnet and ownership may be willing to move him. They have Greig to play 3C.

I think if they are looking to upgrade it will be one of Pelech or Pulock that gets dealt (assuming they can get out from under the contracts? Can’t over look that a trade that costs a 7th round pick and a waiver wire pick up have out performed or been equivalent to these 2.
They are not moving either. they also have NTCs - so that ain’t happening.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Once, he returns from suspension he will sign his QO at .875 which Isles can easily fit.

Ottawa with new Coach and GM/ Presidnet and ownership may be willing to move him. They have Greig to play 3C.

They MAY look to move him, but it won't be cheap and there will be plenty of bidders. A 23-year old center with size coming off 20G/15A in his first full year? Load up the truck.

The only possibility I see is Pelech for Hanafin with balancing pieces; to add some more offensive firepower in the backend, but sacrificing some defense at the same time. Of course, Pelech would have to agree too.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

If Aho is benched, like the point I responded to, with Pulock on the IR . . . who plays the right side? Bolduc or Reilly? Or do we keep playing Aho?
Romanov-Dobson
Reilly - Mayfield
Bolduc- Bortuzzo

until Pelech is back.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
They MAY look to move him, but it won't be cheap and there will be plenty of bidders. A 23-year old center with size coming off 20G/15A in his first full year? Load up the truck.

The only possibility I see is Pelech for Hanafin with balancing pieces; to add some more offensive firepower in the backend, but sacrificing some defense at the same time. Of course, Pelech would have to agree too.
Pelech will not accept a deal to Calgary.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

The NTC is the tricky part. There are ways around it but they are pretty drastic. In terms of on ice play I think not considering a change of scenery is crazy. Reilly been better than both of them. Bert at least as good as Pulock. Those 2 guys are pulling a lot of cash and not giving much back in terms of on ice play.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
Bert at least as good as Pulock.
ITaYeES.gif

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Reilly stays in. He should be the last guy to sit. When Pulock and Pelech are both healthy Reilly should remain in the lineup.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Reilly stays in. He should be the last guy to sit. When Pulock and Pelech are both healthy Reilly should remain in the lineup.
Reilly is interesting because you can see his good, but his bad is also very apparent

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
What’s Reilly’s bad? Does his good outweigh his bad?

Reilly actually creates the offense Aho was supposed to provide.

Reilly good. Aho bad.

Reilly has been poor on coverage and has had turnovers. But yes, he’s been better than Aho. But he’s a better number six.

The NTC is the tricky part. There are ways around it but they are pretty drastic. In terms of on ice play I think not considering a change of scenery is crazy. Reilly been better than both of them. Bert at least as good as Pulock. Those 2 guys are pulling a lot of cash and not giving much back in terms of on ice play.
Just to be clear. You’re suggesting that Reilly has been better than both Pelech and Pulock? And that Bortuzzo has been better than Pulock?

I mean I disagree outright. But if one were to concede for arguments sake and say that they have been better during their time as Islanders… that’s such a small sample size.

Additionally, there is a larger career sample size to contradict that assertion.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I prefer the "Buying" speculation to the "Selling" speculation come the New Year, which means the team is generally in a decent spot.
Honestly, this team is a piece or two away (again) from being good. Its missing the Andy Green part, and its kinda missing the "please get a top line winger" part also.

Reactions: NYI365

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Honestly, this team is a piece or two away (again) from being good. Its missing the Andy Green part, and its kinda missing the "please get a top line winger" part also.

I think the defense is good enough as is once healthy. Reilly and Bortuzzo really help with the depth of the defense. I’d like to see Lou add another good top 6 forward. Either stack the top line or give Nelson an upgrade and have 2 legit top 6 lines. Slide Engvall to the 3rd line.

I think Buchnevich would be a good addition. Good skater, good on the PK and PP, and signed for next season.

Reactions: Osakahaus

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think the defense is good enough as is once healthy. Reilly and Bortuzzo really help with the depth of the defense. I’d like to see Lou add another good top 6 forward. Either stack the top line or give Nelson an upgrade and have 2 legit top 6 lines. Slide Engvall to the 3rd line.

I think Buchnevich would be a good addition. Good skater, good on the PK and PP, and signed for next season.
At $5,800,000 per year . . . and ONE goal in 20 playoff games in his career

Dream on. At some point these hopes need to have a Cap proposal.

Engvall is on the 2nd line for one reason; to free Nelson and Palmieri from spending time on puck possession so they can try to go to open space. Both Brock and Kyle are now near 800 NHL games and both have MORE goals than assists in their careers. Buchnevich would cost a LOT of assets and a Cap sacrifice somewhere to fill that role. St. Louis is only 3 points out of the playoffs too.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
At $5,800,000 per year . . . and ONE goal in 20 playoff games in his career

Dream on. At some point these hopes need to have a Cap proposal.

Engvall is on the 2nd line for one reason; to free Nelson and Palmieri from spending time on puck possession so they can try to go to open space. Both Brock and Kyle are now near 800 NHL games and both have MORE goals than assists in their careers. Buchnevich would cost a LOT of assets and a Cap sacrifice somewhere to fill that role. St. Louis is only 3 points out of the playoffs too.

Ah yes disregard his assists in the playoffs, he had 11 points in 12 playoff games last time he was in the playoffs. He has been over a PPG over the past 2 full seasons and has over 40 assists in both of those seasons. He could easily slot in anywhere in our top 6. He is better than every winger on this team not named Barzal. If you don’t think he’s worth 5.8 million you are wrong.

Sure they are only 3 points out, but it’s also a couple months until the deadline and they are already in 11th place in the conference. Likely only to get further from a playoff spot.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Ah yes disregard his assists in the playoffs, he had 11 points in 12 playoff games last time he was in the playoffs. He has been over a PPG over the past 2 full seasons and has over 40 assists in both of those seasons. He could easily slot in anywhere in our top 6. He is better than every winger on this team not named Barzal. If you don’t think he’s worth 5.8 million you are wrong.

Sure they are only 3 points out, but it’s also a couple months until the deadline and they are already in 11th place in the conference. Likely only to get further from a playoff spot.

Love how you disregarded the Cap issue, back to fantasy land! And I love how confident you are that they will fall farther behind!

I'm an Economics major and we had the old joke about the 3 people deserted on an island with a can of tuna and no way to open it . . . a physicist, a chemist and an economist . . . the economist says "assume a can opener" . . . like this wish.

Of course, you also assume there's no competition for his services. Give me ONE legit proposal for him from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad