Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
If Varly is out for a while, we are one Sorokin injury away from the lottery
You're correct, but it isn't a fault of just the Islanders. No team has great third-string options. I guess fourth-string options too since in this hypothetical both NHL goalies are out.

But yeah, if there's a halfway decent goalie available for like a 5th or 6th round pick, Lou has to go do it. *assuming Varly is out for awhile

The unspoken weakness in our organization is goaltending depth
What? lol There's a number of teams that don't even have a good #1 goalie.

Every team would be f'd if their top two goalies went down to injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI and PWJunior

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Is that a hockey player?

Bjornfot sounds like an Ent, or perhaps an Ikea lamp.

Cool, a Lord of the Rings IKEA crossover?

1704318443930.jpeg

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You're correct, but it isn't a fault of just the Islanders. No team has great third-string options. I guess fourth-string options too since in this hypothetical both NHL goalies are out.

But yeah, if there's a halfway decent goalie available for like a 5th or 6th round pick, Lou has to go do it. *assuming Varly is out for awhile

What? lol There's a number of teams that don't even have a good #1 goalie.

Every team would be f'd if their top two goalies went down to injury.
I'm really talking about long-term, not what might happen this year. Only Lennox MIGHT be an NHL goalie down the line when Varly retires and we need Sorokin's backup. We need to draft a few more this year and next.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I'm really talking about long-term, not what might happen this year. Only Lennox MIGHT be an NHL goalie down the line when Varly retires and we need Sorokin's backup. We need to draft a few more this year and next.
Backup goalie is the easiest position to fill on the roster. Not a huge concern, especially when you have a guy like Sorokin as your starter.

But I agree that we should start throwing some mid-round picks on goaltenders over the next few drafts to see what sticks. Never know, might draft the next Sorokin. Always a good risk/reward to take goalies in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Backup goalie is the easiest position to fill on the roster. Not a huge concern, especially when you have a guy like Sorokin as your starter.

But I agree that we should start throwing some mid-round picks on goaltenders over the next few drafts to see what sticks. Never know, might draft the next Sorokin. Always a good risk/reward to take goalies in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
You mean not #1 overall?

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
The claim would be dependent on whether or not Bortuzzo is out long term. If he is then they don't need to waive anyone. I'm not sure what you mean by wasting your waiver spot.

Pelech's availability wouldn't be impacted. Once he's ready to return they can send someone down to make room for him (Aho).

The alternative is a defenseman who is bad in Bridgeport. I'll take a reclamation project who might need a change of scenery over what Bridgeport has to offer.
Isn't Bjornfoot an LHD? Assuming Pelech comes back this week we have 5 already on the roster and only two RHD. Barring any additions I expect to see Aho back in the next game and for the foreseeable future as he's the only one of them that plays his off side - either that or Hutton. I don't see how acquiring Bjornfoot would change that, and I don't see anything in his resumé that suggests he'd definitely slot ahead of Cholowski on our depth chart.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
watching Devils. Hard to believe Yotes traded Bahl, the pick that was Mercer, Nick Merkly, and more for UFA Hall.
That was a case of "Milbury Syndrome". Making a deal just to make a splash, long term consequences be damned.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
awesome trade in the long run. Chayka was such a fun GM to watch from afar
One can surmise, that young spreadsheet analytics GM didn’t do much beyond have a quick moment - one is toast, the other hoodwinked some investor group (not shocking on that, but really shocking as his track record is pretty awful).

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
We have Lennox MAYBE as a possible future goalie. Some one will need to take over from Varly down the line. Skarek hasn't shown anything or he'd be here, not Appleby.

Halak lasted about 48 hours with Carolina, with that awful collection of goalies
Speaking of goalies, I'm still surprised Marcus Hogberg hasn't made it back to the NHL. 29 years old, decent numbers in Sweden. The only thing I can think is he's changed his mind and doesn't really want to come back to NA. Seems like the Maple Leafs or Hurricanes could both take a flyer on him.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

My take is that unless you have a surplus of draft picks, you don't waste your time drafting goalies. Every once and a while, there's one in the first round who is truly elite. But that's been a very seldom thing over the past 20 years or so.

You look to add goalies as free agents coming out of college or Europe or perhaps Canadian juniors after a big overage season or two, when they're kicking off their early-to-mid 20s or you trade for them along the way when they've shown more concrete development. Let the other teams draft them and walk through generally 3-6 years of development.

CAVEAT:
There have been 1st-2nd-round capable Russian goalies who have gone in later rounds, often as part of the Russian scare. If you see one and he's there later on, you should prolly grab him, even if you have to wait as long as we did for Sorokin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad