Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Would the Islanders be interested in either Thomas Chabot or Jakob Chychrun in a deal for Ryan Pulock?

Chabot is locked in at $8M for 4 more years so has cost certainty, whereas Chychrun is signed for next year at $4.6M but would need an extension.

Ottawa is a poorly constructed trainwreck and needs more balance on the back-end - a steady, veteran RD who can pair with Sanderson or whichever of Chabot/Chychrun remain.

I thought the Islanders might want someone who can produce and push the pace a bit more.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Would the Islanders be interested in either Thomas Chabot or Jakob Chychrun in a deal for Ryan Pulock?

Chabot is locked in at $8M for 4 more years so has cost certainty, whereas Chychrun is signed for next year at $4.6M but would need an extension.

Ottawa is a poorly constructed trainwreck and needs more balance on the back-end - a steady, veteran RD who can pair with Sanderson or whichever of Chabot/Chychrun remain.

I thought the Islanders might want someone who can produce and push the pace a bit more.
Only 1 of our posters will make the deal for Chychrun. He wants to win every game 7-4 because that’s not boring.

Unleash ‘em all!!!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Only 1 of our posters will make the deal for Chychrun. He wants to win every game 7-4 because that’s not boring.

Unleash ‘em all!!!
You might want to check the stats on that one. Chabot gives the puck away a LOT more than Chychrun. Never mind the $3,400,000 difference in Cap for Chabot for a LHD.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You might want to check the stats on that one. Chabot gives the puck away a LOT more than Chychrun. Never mind the $3,400,000 difference in Cap for Chabot for a LHD.
I don’t see Lou trading away any of the Pelech, Pulock, Dobson, Mayfield, Romanov crew. That’s 5 guys set for the next 5-8 years.

Adding a Hanifin-type on a long term deal locks in 6 guys on long term deals. That’s A LOT to be stuck with (see STL).

I could see Lou adding another Greene veteran type and someone giving him roster flexibility, but adding reliable depth. I keep coming back to Johnson in BUF. Will be cheap, veteran in the Greene-ish mold.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Chabot shalom

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Unleash ‘em all!!!
I'll take an exciting 5-4 regular OT season loss over a boring series clinching playoff OT win any day.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

NTC and doesn't make sense for us, have Pelech and Romanov in top four on left side + every single one of our D "prospects" are LHD. I'd personally entertain something around Pelech and Chabot and see if Chabot becomes a little more careful with the puck playing 5 minutes less a game but I'm sure some Isles fans will balk at that. Also, NTC.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I don’t see Lou trading away any of the Pelech, Pulock, Dobson, Mayfield, Romanov crew. That’s 5 guys set for the next 5-8 years.

Adding a Hanifin-type on a long term deal locks in 6 guys on long term deals. That’s A LOT to be stuck with (see STL).

I could see Lou adding another Greene veteran type and someone giving him roster flexibility, but adding reliable depth. I keep coming back to Johnson in BUF. Will be cheap, veteran in the Greene-ish mold.
Not sure what works financially. Regarding Chabot, that long term money will be needed for Dobson.

Pulock- Pelech
Dobson-Romanov
Mayfield - Reilly this year , Bolduc next year?

Going into next year, unless we shed JGP, 51mil needed for forwards. Goaltending jumps to 11mil. We are over 21mil for the 6 defenseman. I like what Reilly has added to the team but think Bolduc has some positive attributes.

With 7.5mil due the next two seasons, JGP should be movable with minimal retention to a team that isn't on NTC list. 25-26 season is pretty buyout friendly. There are several teams with many open forward spots heading into the offseason.

Reactions: PWJunior

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Not sure what works financially. Regarding Chabot, that long term money will be needed for Dobson.

Pulock- Pelech
Dobson-Romanov
Mayfield - Reilly this year , Bolduc next year?

Going into next year, unless we shed JGP, 51mil needed for forwards. Goaltending jumps to 11mil. We are over 21mil for the 6 defenseman. I like what Reilly has added to the team but think Bolduc has some positive attributes.

With 7.5mil due the next two seasons, JGP should be movable with minimal retention to a team that isn't on NTC list. 25-26 season is pretty buyout friendly. There are several teams with many open forward spots heading into the offseason.

It's Palmieri who should be shedded, not JGP:

Barzal, Lee and Horvat are a +21
Nelson, Palmieri and Engvall are a -16 (N is -6, E is 0 and Palms is MINUS 10. Worst on the team.)

Palmieri only has 11 ES points this year. Easier to keep the personality of this team with JGP at 3C than KP at 2RW. As a comparison, Holmstrom has 11 goals without ONE SECOND of PP time.

Kyle's buyout would cost $1,667,000 for 2 years and save us $3,333,333 for the next season.

The 2nd line is being held back by Palmieri, not Engvall. The eye test is failing him too; how many more giveaways do you need to see with him trying to go behind the net? He's already at last year's giveaway total and more than his linemates (given how much Engvall is asked to be the playmaker on the line, this is poor quality possessions by Palms). When you strip out the PP time, he's doing this in less than 12 minutes of ice time a game.

He's the player we need to upgrade on.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Another way to look at a simple stat, here's the forwards this year with their Takeaway and Giveaway numbers and net:

PlayerPosGPTKGVDiff
Simon HolmstromRW37241410
Anders LeeLW381688
Hudson FaschingRW271358
Brock NelsonC3818162
Cal ClutterbuckRW3815132
Matt MartinLW17642
Casey CizikasC371091
Oliver WahlstromRW19440
Julien GauthierRW19330
Mathew BarzalC374445-1
Jean-Gabriel PageauC381317-4
Bo HorvatC371319-6
Pierre EngvallLW361016-6
Kyle PalmieriRW38719-12

Easy to see why the coaches came to trust Holmstrom so quickly. Palmieri REALLY needs to step it up or he should be facing a healthy scratch status.

Reactions: WangMustGo

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Moving a center is always more risky than moving a forward but in an ideal world shedding both Palmieri and JGP would gain the Isles cap and roster flexibility. While neither of them have seen their play fall off a cliff, they are both past peak performance. Unless they’re bought out, each of them would require assets attached in a trade.

All this talk is moot. The Isles are winning and subtracting either of them makes the team worse in the short term. A trade won’t happen this season unless the team unexpectedly tanks before the TDL.

If anything happens with these guys it’ll be in the offseason. Until then, enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Another way to look at a simple stat, here's the forwards this year with their Takeaway and Giveaway numbers and net:

PlayerPosGPTKGVDiff
Simon HolmstromRW37241410
Anders LeeLW381688
Hudson FaschingRW271358
Brock NelsonC3818162
Cal ClutterbuckRW3815132
Matt MartinLW17642
Casey CizikasC371091
Oliver WahlstromRW19440
Julien GauthierRW19330
Mathew BarzalC374445-1
Jean-Gabriel PageauC381317-4
Bo HorvatC371319-6
Pierre EngvallLW361016-6
Kyle PalmieriRW38719-12

Easy to see why the coaches came to trust Holmstrom so quickly. Palmieri REALLY needs to step it up or he should be facing a healthy scratch status.

Very fascinating because I wanted to write to say that the eye test really has me thinking Palmieri has to be among the leaders in turnovers while Holmstrom is really quite good at pressuring guys, holding on to the biscuit, and ragging it a good bit.

There are things I like about Palmieri, but pucks seem to get away from his stick too easily on too many occasions.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Quick observations on roster and recent play from an outside observer.
Mayfield looks suspect. Maybe still dealing with nagging injury and has never been fast on his skates. Decision making concerns me.
Dobson seemed to cough up puck a few times last night. Love seeing him blossom and you take the good and some nervous moments in his own zone.
Agree with many posters that Palms looks like he is in a major rut. Coughs up the puck a lot and seems to stickhandle it like a grenade. I believe he has 2 years left on his deal and JGP 3. Not sure if both of them stay to finish out contract. Limited cap and roster flexibility.
I am not a big fan of this team's LW depth, but Lee looks like he is the best option as LW1 right now.
Engvall intrigues and frustrates me at the same time. Wonder if he would be better as a C at some point.
Really looks like Wally is the odd man out and time with this organization may be dwindling. Had high hopes for him, but who knows- depth is a good thing and maybe he draws in. Skating, hockey IQ, and stickhandling just never improved.
Teams is mostly winning so this fan is content.
See ya

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Mayfield looks suspect. Maybe still dealing with nagging injury and has never been fast on his skates. Decision making concerns me.
Dobson seemed to cough up puck a few times last night. Love seeing him blossom and you take the good and some nervous moments in his own zone.
Agree with many posters that Palms looks like he is in a major rut. Coughs up the puck a lot and seems to stickhandle it like a grenade. I believe he has 2 years left on his deal and JGP 3. Not sure if both of them stay to finish out contract. Limited cap and roster flexibility.
I am not a big fan of this team's LW depth, but Lee looks like he is the best option as LW1 right now.
Engvall intrigues and frustrates me at the same time. Wonder if he would be better as a C at some point.
Really looks like Wally is the odd man out and time with this organization may be dwindling. Had high hopes for him, but who knows- depth is a good thing and maybe he draws in. Skating, hockey IQ, and stickhandling just never improved.
See ya
I think it’s fair to point out that the weakest part of Dobson’s game is protecting the puck. That’s improved over the years, but it still happens.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
The one good thing I trust about Lou is I believe in his tenure with the Isles he has never spent big assets for a rental. All players he's given up good assets for have signed long term (Pageau, Palmieri, Horvat, Romanov). So I have faith any moves he'll make come TDL will have both the present and future in mind.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
See ya
Glad you ended on a positive note. All eight of your observations were negative. lol :)

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
It's Palmieri who should be shedded, not JGP:

Barzal, Lee and Horvat are a +21
Nelson, Palmieri and Engvall are a -16 (N is -6, E is 0 and Palms is MINUS 10. Worst on the team.)

Palmieri only has 11 ES points this year. Easier to keep the personality of this team with JGP at 3C than KP at 2RW. As a comparison, Holmstrom has 11 goals without ONE SECOND of PP time.

Kyle's buyout would cost $1,667,000 for 2 years and save us $3,333,333 for the next season.

The 2nd line is being held back by Palmieri, not Engvall. The eye test is failing him too; how many more giveaways do you need to see with him trying to go behind the net? He's already at last year's giveaway total and more than his linemates (given how much Engvall is asked to be the playmaker on the line, this is poor quality possessions by Palms). When you strip out the PP time, he's doing this in less than 12 minutes of ice time a game.

He's the player we need to upgrade on.
Certainly pretty clear on that. Get a hungry kid that can skate at 3,333,333.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Moving a center is always more risky than moving a forward but in an ideal world shedding both Palmieri and JGP would gain the Isles cap and roster flexibility. While neither of them have seen their play fall off a cliff, they are both past peak performance. Unless they’re bought out, each of them would require assets attached in a trade.
I think there's no reason to even consider moving JGP. He does what he does, even when he's not scoring goals, and he still looks quick. Palmieri, otoh, does not look good. But Lee looked like junk 3 weeks ago, so wth knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad