Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
It's Palmieri who should be shedded, not JGP:

Barzal, Lee and Horvat are a +21
Nelson, Palmieri and Engvall are a -16 (N is -6, E is 0 and Palms is MINUS 10. Worst on the team.)

Palmieri only has 11 ES points this year. Easier to keep the personality of this team with JGP at 3C than KP at 2RW. As a comparison, Holmstrom has 11 goals without ONE SECOND of PP time.

Kyle's buyout would cost $1,667,000 for 2 years and save us $3,333,333 for the next season.

The 2nd line is being held back by Palmieri, not Engvall. The eye test is failing him too; how many more giveaways do you need to see with him trying to go behind the net? He's already at last year's giveaway total and more than his linemates (given how much Engvall is asked to be the playmaker on the line, this is poor quality possessions by Palms). When you strip out the PP time, he's doing this in less than 12 minutes of ice time a game.

He's the player we need to upgrade on.
You are an opportunistic poster;). First line was a plus 8 last night.

JGP at 2x5 is the candidate due to term. Both Dobson and Romanov hit RFA after 24-25. Palms will already be gone. He also is over payed for his output.

I agree with you on Engvall and have consistently. I do think he was playing a bit flat before the last scratch but can't understand why he wasn't just shuffled sown the lineup.

Speaking of Engvall and JGP, how bad is our 2nd unit PP? You mentioned Palms and the PP but our PP has been better with him as the down low guy - righty feeding Horvat in the bump, righty on the off side, etc.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You are an opportunistic poster;). First line was a plus 8 last night.

JGP at 2x5 is the candidate due to term. Both Dobson and Romanov hit RFA after 24-25. Palms will already be gone. He also is over payed for his output.

I agree with you on Engvall and have consistently. I do think he was playing a bit flat before the last scratch but can't understand why he wasn't just shuffled sown the lineup.

Speaking of Engvall and JGP, how bad is our 2nd unit PP? You mentioned Palms and the PP but our PP has been better with him as the down low guy - righty feeding Horvat in the bump, righty on the off side, etc.

The difference between the two is that JGP can return an asset at 50% retained, while Palms likely won't. JGP wouldn't need to be bought out.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
About as bad as our third string goalie! We're doomed.
Oh c'mon, nothing is close to as serious as the 3rd string goalie issue.

Actually though, I do think the 2nd PP is an issue. It's probably the absence of someone along the side boards to run things.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The one good thing I trust about Lou is I believe in his tenure with the Isles he has never spent big assets for a rental. All players he's given up good assets for have signed long term (Pageau, Palmieri, Horvat, Romanov). So I have faith any moves he'll make come TDL will have both the present and future in mind.

I agree that it's not Lou's style to go for a rental, but what if it's Hanifin for a 1st+ Aho + B prospect type of package? Having everyone healthy on defense and adding Hanifin to the group would make it absolutely terrifying in the playoffs.

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Hanifin-Mayfield

Reilly
Bolduc

That's insanely deep and you could mix and match. If Sorokin or even Varly gets hot, that's a Cup caliber combination. The offense is the most potent since 2017-18 and it's a foregone conclusion that Parise will be re-joining the team eventually. Horvat and Barzal is a legitimate duo, Brock is a legit #2C, Lee can score the greasy goals. We have more speed throughout the lineup. 4th line can still do their thing.

The rapid emergence of Dobson, Romanov, and Holmstrom all happening at the same time doesn't come around often. Lou isn't getting any younger and he may see all the ingredients for some magical Cinderella in place to decide to swing for the fence. It would be a season we would take to our graves if they made a Cup run and won it. It would be a Disney movie, Costner would be Lou. Isn't that what we dream of as fans?

Just sayin...

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I agree that it's not Lou's style to go for a rental, but what if it's Hanifin for a 1st+ Aho + B prospect type of package? Having everyone healthy on defense and adding Hanifin to the group would make it absolutely terrifying in the playoffs.

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Hanifin-Mayfield

Reilly
Bolduc

That's insanely deep and you could mix and match. If Sorokin or even Varly gets hot, that's a Cup caliber combination. The offense is the most potent since 2017-18 and it's a foregone conclusion that Parise will be re-joining the team eventually. Horvat and Barzal is a legitimate duo, Brock is a legit #2C, Lee can score the greasy goals. We have more speed throughout the lineup. 4th line can still do their thing.

The rapid emergence of Dobson, Romanov, and Holmstrom all happening at the same time doesn't come around often. Lou isn't getting any younger and he may see all the ingredients for some magical Cinderella in place to decide to swing for the fence. It would be a season we would take to our graves if they made a Cup run and won it. It would be a Disney movie, Costner would be Lou. Isn't that what we dream of as fans?

Just sayin...
I'm inclined to agree. There's no Bruins juggernaut of the league this season like there was last year. Wide open imo.

That would also be our deepest D since it featured Pelech, Pulock, Leddy, Boychuk, Toews and Mayfield.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Hanifin-Mayfield

Reilly
Bolduc

Just sayin...
If its a Disney movie these days, Lou would be a trans black woman

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Hanifin-Mayfield

Reilly
Bolduc

Just sayin...
Need one of the Italian guys to play Lou.

Reactions: PWJunior

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I’m gonna pile on just a little on Palmieri.

He’s given us about the same productivity that Zach Parise gave us at league minimum. Parise was a bargain and by comparison Palmieri isn’t worth his salary. We’re also on the hook for another year after this. Chances are next year won’t be as good based on age and his recent trajectory.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Here’s the simple thing on Palms. He’s delivered in the playoffs - the reason Lou got him to begin with.

Highly doubtful he’s going anywhere, the guy literally signed on to Isles as a UFA because of Lou and agreed to keep his ‘signed’ status quiet for the whole summer. That’s a loyal guy working with a loyal GM.

The only way Palms goes is if Lou/Lambert let him know his role will be diminished and, if he wants to play more, they can find another team willing to do that. Otherwise, Palms most likely completes his deal with the Isles. Based on playoff performance with the Isles, I’m fine with that.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Here’s the simple thing on Palms. He’s delivered in the playoffs - the reason Lou got him to begin with.

Highly doubtful he’s going anywhere, the guy literally signed on to Isles as a UFA because of Lou and agreed to keep his ‘signed’ status quiet for the whole summer. That’s a loyal guy working with a loyal GM.

The only way Palms goes is if Lou/Lambert let him know his role will be diminished and, if he wants to play more, they can find another team willing to do that. Otherwise, Palms most likely completes his deal with the Isles. Based on playoff performance with the Isles, I’m fine with that.
Sounds like the reality, guy is a pro and sweet Lou is being patient he steps up down the stretch

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Anyone have a good handle on our cap situation approaching the TDL? Pelech is on the verge of returning and I assume Pulock is more of a Feb/March type of thing with no news of him even skating yet. It really sucks to lose Bortuzzo and I figure he's done for the season. If the Isles aren't comfortable with Hutton, then maybe finding another Bortuzzo type wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't like Aho playing his off side, let alone playing at all.

Other than Parise, do we have the cap flexibility to make a big move? I'm not well versed in all the cap stuff.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
More on Palmieri:

I’ll reiterate my position that he is significantly overpaid yet still somewhat of an asset on this team. He’s been productive for us in the playoffs but it seems there’s some revisionist history going on here that his performance has been on another level in the postseason.

Here’s some lifetime playoff stats for comparison:

Palmieri:
IMG_2166.jpeg

Eberle:

IMG_2165.jpeg

Bailey:

IMG_2167.jpeg

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anyone have a good handle on our cap situation approaching the TDL? Pelech is on the verge of returning and I assume Pulock is more of a Feb/March type of thing with no news of him even skating yet. It really sucks to lose Bortuzzo and I figure he's done for the season. If the Isles aren't comfortable with Hutton, then maybe finding another Bortuzzo type wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't like Aho playing his off side, let alone playing at all.

Other than Parise, do we have the cap flexibility to make a big move? I'm not well versed in all the cap stuff.

Since the Islanders are using LTIR they aren't accruing any cap space to use at the deadline, so any move they want to make just needs to fit with the LTIR requirements. They have just shy of $9.2M in space right now. If Pelech comes back it'll drop the LTIR space though so they need to ensure that whatever moves they make will be cap compliant when/if Pelech and Pulock come back. If either isn't ready to come back until the playoffs then that wouldn't be a concern (i.e. Kucherov, and all those other guys).

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Palms is overpaid but I think we are better keeping him for 1 more year unless we can make a hockey trade and not a cap dump/buyout with him. I would just let his contract run out and hope Lou does not re sign him unless his game changes which is doubtful

The easy turnover we can have this offseason is Clutter,Martin, Aho, and Whalstrom who we should let walk.

Trading Nelson must happen at the TDL if we are out of it

Last edited:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I realize that it is almost impossible to get reliable information on specifics or return timing for our injured players but has there been anything reliable said or even hinted at for a time table for Varly? Is this something that we expect to see him back in a week or two, or are we measuring in months?

Listening to the game the other night, Brendan and Butch weren't specific but at one point they mentioned the schedule being favorable for going only with Sorokin, until possibly the back to back in two weeks. They didnt say but just the tone seemed to be implying that it could be quite a while, so hope this is a few week thing not a few month thing. If it is , feel we will be running Sorokin into the ground, and our playoff hopes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad