Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
More on Palmieri:

I’ll reiterate my position that he is significantly overpaid yet still somewhat of an asset on this team. He’s been productive for us in the playoffs but it seems there’s some revisionist history going on here that his performance has been on another level in the postseason.

Here’s some lifetime playoff stats for comparison:

Palmieri:
View attachment 797270

Eberle:

View attachment 797272

Bailey:

View attachment 797273
He scored big goals in big moments for us in the playoffs. He also did things beyond goals and assists in the playoffs.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I realize that it is almost impossible to get reliable information on specifics or return timing for our injured players but has there been anything reliable said or even hinted at for a time table for Varly? Is this something that we expect to see him back in a week or two, or are we measuring in months?

Listening to the game the other night, Brendan and Butch weren't specific but at one point they mentioned the schedule being favorable for going only with Sorokin, until possibly the back to back in two weeks. They didnt say but just the tone seemed to be implying that it could be quite a while, so hope this is a few week thing not a few month thing. If it is , feel we will be running Sorokin into the ground, and our playoff hopes with it.

I believe I read or it was mentioned that he was still with the team so it appears as though it's a minor injury and he's more day to day than anything else.

Reactions: 19 in a row

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Hehe... Or Tito...

All I'm saying is that Palmieri can play on my playoff team any day. Same for Clutter. They catch a lot of flack from fans but they show up.

I am super happy that it seems Pageau has picked it back up recently. As I wrote a ton in the past the Islanders have finally given him two consistent linemates and not the struggling vet (Lee/Bailey) or the rookies (Holmstrom last year/Wahlstrom). Palmieri on the other hand has had himself a nice year.

I still believe Lou should have moved on from one of these guys in the offseason though as I am not convinced both of these contracts are going to be amazing for the long term future of the organization.

Clutterbuck has been amazing this season for his role. It seems to me just every time I think Lou is senile for doing something the contracts he signs and trades he makes somehow work out.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
More on Palmieri:

I’ll reiterate my position that he is significantly overpaid yet still somewhat of an asset on this team. He’s been productive for us in the playoffs but it seems there’s some revisionist history going on here that his performance has been on another level in the postseason.

Palmieri:
View attachment 797270

Eberle:

View attachment 797272

Bailey:

View attachment 797273
Palmieri is the least of my concerns tbh. He does a fine job and has good chemistry with Brock. $5M seems to be the going rate for players of his caliber these days especially with the cap about to rise.

If he was a net negative then I'd agree with you, but he's fine at what he does. One and a half more years of him isn't a big deal.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Hehe... Or Tito...

All I'm saying is that Palmieri can play on my playoff team any day. Same for Clutter. They catch a lot of flack from fans but they show up.
I like Palms in the playoffs, I think we should hold on to him for the length of his contract. It’s not worth trading an asset to get rid of him

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
More on Palmieri:

Palmieri:
View attachment 797270

Eberle:

View attachment 797272

Bailey:

View attachment 797273
He does a little things in those games that don’t hit the points calculators. I would not solely rely on stats for his worth in the department.

Zajac didn’t have great stats, but if you watched how he was patient with the puck, moved it into low danger areas, etc. it made a strong impact on the outcome.

Reactions: Potvottier

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I can understand Varly remaining on the road trip. There’s more massage therapists in Las Vegas than anywhere else in the league.
Yeah, but then you go back to the room with the masseuse, and two 6'4" guys tie you to the bed, take photos, clean out your safe, and make you go to the ATM to withdraw 10K to keep quiet. Not that I have any experience with that. Anyway....

Reactions: MJF

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Disagree. Palmieri has been very good when on. This is him on a slump again. Happens.
I think Palmiere is a product of Brock , Nelson is the straw that stirs the drink, probably the best on the team at driving play . If not for Brock I hate to think what Palms numbers would be. He’s played 179 games for NYI and has scored 42 goals that’s 0.23 goals per game. Time and tide , his last good year was 2019-2020 with the Devils. He appears slow and less stable on his skates. IMO a lower cost player could provide equal numbers given the same ice.

Reactions: ekill08x and MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think Palmiere is a product of Brock , Nelson is the straw that stirs the drink, probably the best on the team at driving play . If not for Brock I hate to think what Palms numbers would be. He’s played 179 games for NYI and has scored 42 goals that’s 0.23 goals per game. Time and tide , his last good year was 2019-2020 with the Devils. He appears slow and less stable on his skates. IMO a lower cost player could provide equal numbers given the same ice.
I don’t think this team should be trying to figure out who is going to do well in the playoffs at this point. Say you flip Palms and roll with Gauthier and he sucks up the joint/can’t deliver. Now, you went from a sure 15 mins in the lineup to shuffling stuff all around. Sorokin was mediocre vs Carolina - that’s a big tbd.

Otherwise, Palms has been one of the better Isles in the playoffs where his actual cost is irrelevant- it’s about his actual game play.

The reality with Palms is Isles fans never liked the signing because he’s not flashy enough (ties with the awful GM) and wanted his money allocated to a bigger fish (still haven’t gotten that to stop the misguided yearning…). Yet, he was cheaper than Eberle, better in the playoffs than Eberle, and fit within the cap crunch at that time.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I don’t think this team should be trying to figure out who is going to do well in the playoffs at this point. Say you flip Palms and roll with Gauthier and he sucks up the joint/can’t deliver. Now, you went from a sure 15 mins in the lineup to shuffling stuff all around. Sorokin was mediocre vs Carolina - that’s a big tbd.

Otherwise, Palms has been one of the better Isles in the playoffs where his actual cost is irrelevant- it’s about his actual game play.

The reality with Palms is Isles fans never liked the signing because he’s not flashy enough (ties with the awful GM) and wanted his money allocated to a bigger fish (still haven’t gotten that to stop the misguided yearning…). Yet, he was cheaper than Eberle, better in the playoffs than Eberle, and fit within the cap crunch at that time.
Palmieri is very solid. I dont think it would be smart to trade him away.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’m fine with Palms. He’s streaky and injury prone; my only two gripes with him. Think he’s good for 20-25 goals, 45 pts. Fine for a 2nd liner. He also does good work on the cycle and along the boards. He uses his body well to protect the puck and drive to the slot. Love the move, unfortunately he loses his balance half the attempts.

This roster needs D. The forward group is good enough.

Reactions: Potvottier

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
More on Palmieri:

Palmieri:
View attachment 797270

Eberle:

View attachment 797272

Bailey:

View attachment 797273
A couple things about your stats. First, Palmeiri has only accrued some of those points with Barzal. He's the only one on this comparison that had been doing what he does on a different line Secondly, Palms has his playoff rep less with the amount of points and more with the quality of them. There was a game where he single-handedly beat the Pens. With all that said, I'm fine ditching him. He has no balance. He can't beat anybody without falling over. Just wanted to clarify why people are enamored with his playoff performance.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
I feel much better about our depth with the addition of Bortuzzo and Reilly.

Now I think we should be pursuing another 'tweener' goalie. We need something better than Appelby and Skarek.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
A couple things about your stats. First, Palmeiri has only accrued some of those points with Barzal. He's the only one on this comparison that had been doing what he does on a different line Secondly, Palms has his playoff rep less with the amount of points and more with the quality of them. There was a game where he single-handedly beat the Pens. With all that said, I'm fine ditching him. He has no balance. He can't beat anybody without falling over. Just wanted to clarify why people are enamored with his playoff performance.
I’m not here to bury Palms. The Isles are a lesser team without him. I remember that Pens playoff game well. Don’t forget, Bailey, Eberle and Beau have also had big moments in the playoffs for the Isles.

One other note. We all rely on player’s past performances to gauge what they might do for the team in the future. But frankly the sample size is so small. I look at playoff stats just like everyone else and I like what Palms has done for the Isles in the playoffs. And for what it’s worth, in the 2 playoff years prior to his tenure with the Isles he had 2 goals in 21 games.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This is the 2nd season in a row, practically at the same point in the season, Lambert had to tweak the D structure to have the forwards come back and help out along the boards instead of staying a step higher in the zone prepared to break out.

What Lambert is asking now is that the forwards provide more support, whether it be in corners or behind the net, allowing a defenseman to stay stationed in the slot. In theory, this will not allow the weak-side forward to sneak in and have wide-open looks. With more support along the wall, the Islanders should also be able to win more puck battles and break out of the zone.
"They want our forwards working in the corners and helping out," Islanders defenseman Alexander Romanov told The Hockey News. "Then, if the puck goes to the other corner, the forward down low should run to the other corner. At the same time, he should help in the slot, so it's really hard work."

Lambert knew this last January too. It also was what Barry Trotz was successful with on the Islanders. Having the forwards come back and commit to playing both ends of the ice. The stuff that some folks think is too difficult an ask of the players.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's about time. The good news is that they have more skating wingers now who can cover the ice more quickly (Engvall, Holmstrom, Gauthier, Barzal). And in addition to better defensive coverage they might do better on breakouts as well. I'm guessing Martin and Lee are not fans of this though. ;)

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I’m gonna pile on just a little on Palmieri.

He’s given us about the same productivity that Zach Parise gave us at league minimum. Parise was a bargain and by comparison Palmieri isn’t worth his salary. We’re also on the hook for another year after this. Chances are next year won’t be as good based on age and his recent trajectory.
i dont completely disagree here but Palmieri is very streaky so he probably still gets into the 20s for goals this year. He also to his credit is a very consistent effort guy, he plays hard every night and fits with Nelson pretty good. Have to think isles hope one of Dufour or Maggio can push for spot at some point in next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad