Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Love how you disregarded the Cap issue, back to fantasy land! And I love how confident you are that they will fall farther behind!

I'm an Economics major and we had the old joke about the 3 people deserted on an island with a can of tuna and no way to open it . . . a physicist, a chemist and an economist . . . the economist says "assume a can opener" . . . like this wish.

Of course, you also assume there's no competition for his services. Give me ONE legit proposal for him from us.

the cap space can be figured out between retention, LTIR, and sending players to the minors.

The far majority of teams outside the playoffs at Thanksgiving miss the playoffs. Sure they could make a push, but it would be surprising.

Congratulations on being an economics major, maybe you will be the next GM.

2024 1st, Wahlstrom, Danny Nelson, and Aho.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I think the defense is good enough as is once healthy. Reilly and Bortuzzo really help with the depth of the defense. I’d like to see Lou add another good top 6 forward. Either stack the top line or give Nelson an upgrade and have 2 legit top 6 lines. Slide Engvall to the 3rd line.

I think Buchnevich would be a good addition. Good skater, good on the PK and PP, and signed for next season.
i'd like Buchnevich too but Lee has a good point on his poor playoff performances. Lamoriello wants guys who can perform in the playoffs. If anything, I could see the islanders going after Duclair instead. Provides more speed, had some great playoff moments with Florida, and he does give more insurance should Gauthier or Lee go down. Parise is the other obvious choice.

Reactions: WangMustGo

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
the cap space can be figured out between retention, LTIR, and sending players to the minors.

The far majority of teams outside the playoffs at Thanksgiving miss the playoffs. Sure they could make a push, but it would be surprising.

Congratulations on being an economics major, maybe you will be the next GM.

2024 1st, Wahlstrom, Danny Nelson, and Aho.
Aho? High on their list! Wahlstrom? High on their list! Even though he can't beat out Gauthier for a slot.

Why would they retain for that package?

You honestly think that's the best package they'll be offered for a man you consider a stud? A potentially late 1st? After all, with Buch we are Top 3 in the conference . . .

You're WAY OFF in cap likelihood. Aho and Wally combined are $1,700,000 and Nelson isn't even signed to an ELC yet. That's a $4,100,000 difference. Try again. Without assuming the can opener on cap.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
i'd like Buchnevich too but Lee has a good point on his poor playoff performances. Lamoriello wants guys who can perform in the playoffs. If anything, I could see the islanders going after Duclair instead. Provides more speed, had some great playoff moments with Florida, and he does give more insurance should Gauthier or Lee go down. Parise is the other obvious choice.

Duclair likely will be available, but I think Lou is hoping the Sens will make Tarasenko available. In all likelihood, Parise is the piece that comes aboard, but then you are sitting Gauthier. Tarasenko does not have the 2nd year to pay and that's a big difference with Sorokin's extra $4,250,000 coming on next year. Working the cap is tough for Tarasenko too for this year, but he has 44 goals in 97 playoff games. Tank's salary is $5,000,000, making it a little easier to fit in.

Duclair is only a $3,000,000 salary, so he's the most affordable and had a good playoff for the Panthers last year, but so did most of the Panthers.

Frankly, if Parise comes back, the trade I would be looking for is a goalie prospect we can groom. Samsanov is UFA and I'd grab him for league minimum next year and stick him in Bridgeport and get a goalie coach working with him to see if being around fellow Russian goalies and a competent coach gets his game back. Toronto can ruin any goalie's confidence. He's still only 26.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Duclair likely will be available, but I think Lou is hoping the Sens will make Tarasenko available. In all likelihood, Parise is the piece that comes aboard, but then you are sitting Gauthier. Tarasenko does not have the 2nd year to pay and that's a big difference with Sorokin's extra $4,250,000 coming on next year. Working the cap is tough for Tarasenko too for this year, but he has 44 goals in 97 playoff games. Tank's salary is $5,000,000, making it a little easier to fit in.

Duclair is only a $3,000,000 salary, so he's the most affordable and had a good playoff for the Panthers last year, but so did most of the Panthers.

Frankly, if Parise comes back, the trade I would be looking for is a goalie prospect we can groom. Samsanov is UFA and I'd grab him for league minimum next year and stick him in Bridgeport and get a goalie coach working with him to see if being around fellow Russian goalies and a competent coach gets his game back. Toronto can ruin any goalie's confidence. He's still only 26.
I also remembered Chris Tanev is on the market, so who knows if the isles are in on him

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Aho? High on their list! Wahlstrom? High on their list! Even though he can't beat out Gauthier for a slot.

Why would they retain for that package?

You honestly think that's the best package they'll be offered for a man you consider a stud? A potentially late 1st? After all, with Buch we are Top 3 in the conference . . .

You're WAY OFF in cap likelihood. Aho and Wally combined are $1,700,000 and Nelson isn't even signed to an ELC yet. That's a $4,100,000 difference. Try again. Without assuming the can opener on cap.

Is that really much different than the Horvat package? Buchnevich is in the same tier, a 1st, good prospect, and Wahlstrom is likely in the ballpark. Add in Buldoc instead of Aho if necessary. Lou is very good with the cap. He was able to fit in Horvat, and has added every year this team has made the playoffs, I doubt that changes.

Where did I ever say we would be top 3 in the conference?

Reactions: impaaaaaact

SI

Feb 16, 2013
At this point, Lou should just stand pat - the cavalry will arrive and let the chips fall...

The cap, lack of assets, and barren prospect pool lead to this being the best course of action.

Spending assets for a rental = is not a good idea.

The team needs to play better, period. The team needs to hold onto leads. The roster needs to get healthy. The PK cannot be 29th in the league - they have the personnel to be better. Coaching staff need to whip these boys into shape.

The team has a first and second this season -maybe they can grab a 3rd by moving Wahlstrom.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Is that really much different than the Horvat package? Buchnevich is in the same tier, a 1st, good prospect, and Wahlstrom is likely in the ballpark. Add in Buldoc instead of Aho if necessary. Lou is very good with the cap. He was able to fit in Horvat, and has added every year this team has made the playoffs, I doubt that changes.

Where did I ever say we would be top 3 in the conference?

If we add the Buchnevich you think he is, we'll be likely high up, right?

As for the Horvat question, Beau was a lot better piece than Wally. And Beau had playoff successes in the past. Raty vs Aho? The Canucks would take Raty 9 out of 10 times, or more.

I don't see Lou giving Bolduc up; I think he's seen as the 3rd pair LD over both Aho and Reilly long-term. He's showing some significant improvement over the past 15 games. Reilly and Bolduc, in the SHORT TERM, will be like Wally/Gauthier when Pelech is back . . . ride the hot hand. Very different players, so you can play game matchups too. But Reilly's defensive warts shouldn't be there at his age/experience level, which is why he bounced around a little.

At this point, Lou should just stand pat - the cavalry will arrive and let the chips fall...

The cap, lack of assets, and barren prospect pool lead to this being the best course of action.

The team needs to play better, period. The team needs to hold onto leads. The roster needs to get healthy. The PK cannot be 29th in the league - they have the personnel to be better. Coaching staff need to whip these boys into shape.

The team has a first and second this season -maybe they can grab a 3rd by moving Wahlstrom.

I think he gets one more year since the knee injury is always tough the first year back. But definitely make or break for him next season. The reports are he is handling the usage professionally and that buys time. Any whining and you can assume he's getting dealt.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

We don't control much. This is all Lamoriello's job now. whatever fate we have rests in his old crinkled hands

Reactions: WangMustGo

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

I agree. I don't think Lou does anything at the deadline other than maybe a depth piece. It's also not his MO to acquire a pure rental.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Duclair is NOT a playoff performer. He’s another figure skater just with way less
Talent.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Wally has zero value. His value is limited to a throw in in a trade that the acquiring team can say ‘former first rounder, injury, change of scenery’ line on selling him. That’s about it.

Reactions: Osakahaus

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
If we add the Buchnevich you think he is, we'll be likely high up, right?

As for the Horvat question, Beau was a lot better piece than Wally. And Beau had playoff successes in the past. Raty vs Aho? The Canucks would take Raty 9 out of 10 times, or more.

I don't see Lou giving Bolduc up; I think he's seen as the 3rd pair LD over both Aho and Reilly long-term. He's showing some significant improvement over the past 15 games. Reilly and Bolduc, in the SHORT TERM, will be like Wally/Gauthier when Pelech is back . . . ride the hot hand. Very different players, so you can play game matchups too. But Reilly's defensive warts shouldn't be there at his age/experience level, which is why he bounced around a little.

I think he gets one more year since the knee injury is always tough the first year back. But definitely make or break for him next season. The reports are he is handling the usage professionally and that buys time. Any whining and you can assume he's getting dealt.

I dont see this team finishing above 5-6 in the conference regardless of who is added. What I do think is that a Buchnevich or a Tarasenko type of addition gives this team enough firepower to hang around in a series against the best teams in the conference.

I dont know what the exact answer is to what the Blues would want, the only person that knows is the Blues GM. Is a 1st plus a couple of good but not great prospects of interest? Maybe, maybe not.

I agree on Buldoc, I don’t want to move him, but it wouldn’t exactly surprise me to see Lou go all in again.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Isles absolutely have to claim Tobias Bjornfot on waivers with our injuries.

If Bortuzzo is out long term then it's definitely worth a shot. I'd be a little surprised if he made it to the Islanders on the waiver list though.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Isles absolutely have to claim Tobias Bjornfot on waivers with our injuries.
Who do you waive? He's got another year left, so if we claim and he can't crack the lineup, we waste our waiver spot. He's already got 117 NHL games and has 1G/14A and a -18.

Plus, how does it affect how we played the IR to get Pelech ready for his cap hit.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Who do you waive? He's got another year left, so if we claim and he can't crack the lineup, we waste our waiver spot. He's already got 117 NHL games and has 1G/14A and a -18.

Plus, how does it affect how we played the IR to get Pelech ready for his cap hit.

The claim would be dependent on whether or not Bortuzzo is out long term. If he is then they don't need to waive anyone. I'm not sure what you mean by wasting your waiver spot.

Pelech's availability wouldn't be impacted. Once he's ready to return they can send someone down to make room for him (Aho).

Hell yeah another young defenseman who probably isn't good

what is this, the early 2010's?

The alternative is a defenseman who is bad in Bridgeport. I'll take a reclamation project who might need a change of scenery over what Bridgeport has to offer.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
``#Isles Transactions: Robert Bortuzzo has been placed on IR (lower body). Ken Appleby has been emergency recalled.``

its unironically over

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
As per the Isles

Robert Bortuzzo to IR. Ken Appleby recalled from Bpt.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Appleby and Skarek are both unplayable. I’d go out and sign Keith Kinkaid or Jaro Halak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad