Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think he's ineffective within structure. He's getting by on instinct and athleticism, which is why he scores off the rush and on broken plays. I don't seem him concentrating on positional play or anything like that. I think that's a rationalization.
I usually watch games on delay and my personal schedule has been a bit more hectic... basically, I find myself falling asleep more often through stretches of the game. So I do miss more details. Will try to pay more attention to that part of Holmstrom's game.

But I was still getting the impression that he was in the right position, which was causing the turnovers that lead to the rushes.

Reactions: MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I appreciate all of the thoughtful responses to this post. Was expecting to get shat on like those card guys on twitter )who honestly deserved it).

The one counterargument I'll bring up about his age is Beau, who was picked around the same spot as Holmstrom. He had about 6x as many points as Holmstrom at the same age while not exactly lighting the world on fire, maxing out at 39 over a full season. That same dude is probably going to join his fourth team next season. While I totally agree Holmstrom has shown some real killer instinct and flashed a some high end tools, I think it's fair to say that he's actually behind in development for his age.

It's easy to see the potential though... just wondering what would need to change to see him fully realize it.
As has been pointed out, it still seems early (small sample size) to extrapolate much of Holmstrom. Regarding Beau, development isn't always linear.

Finally for me personally, I just see a quality talent in Holmstrom who looks like a certain NHL player. I have never gotten hung-up on what his ultimate potential will be. Isles need to replace the bottom-six as much as improve on the top.

It would be nice to hit a home run with the Holmstrom pick. But if all he does is become a third-line penalty killer... well click that check box and keep it moving with trying to bring top talent.

Last edited:

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
As has been pointed out, it still seems early (small sample size) to extrapolate much of Holmstrom. Regarding Beau, development isn't always linear.

Finally for me personally, I just see a quality talent in Holmstrom who looks like a certain NHL player. I have never gotten hung-up on what his ultimate potential will be. Isles need to replace the bottom-six as much as improve on the top.

It would be nice to hit a home run with the Holmstrom pick. But if all he does is become a third-line penalty killer... well click that check box and keep it moving with trying to bring top talent.

Agreed. I guess the point of my post was that I wouldn't be shocked to see him move in a win now move. Would be reminiscent to me of moving Raty in the Horvat deal (one year apart in age, similar 5v5 results at NHL level).

If you do end up moving Holmstrom in a deal for Lindholm or Pinto it has the small added bonus of not being on the hook to re-sign him next season, which would open up a maybe 2-2.5M of cap to sign one of these guys long term.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Agreed. I guess the point of my post was that I wouldn't be shocked to see him move in a win now move. Would be reminiscent to me of moving Raty in the Horvat deal (one year apart in age, similar 5v5 results at NHL level).

If you do end up moving Holmstrom in a deal for Lindholm or Pinto it has the small added bonus of not being on the hook to re-sign him next season, which would open up a maybe 2-2.5M of cap to sign one of these guys long term.
I think the only way they move Holmstrom is if it’s for a young, cost-controlled asset (think Lawson Crouse or Josh Norris as a Nelson replacement). Lindholm is going to be too expensive and old for this team (remember they have to have space to re-sign Dobson and Romanov long term).

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
But I was still getting the impression that he was in the right position, which was causing the turnovers that lead to the rushes.
I think he benefits from playing with Pageau, who is a smart positional player. He's picked up points on the PK from being athletic, rangy and quick with his stick. The talent is there, as you and others have pointed out.

I'm not saying he's incapable of being a guy who can play well within structure, I'm just saying he's not really doing it now, which is why he isn't doing much 5v5 when the ice is crowded and the capacity for broken plays or rushes are minimal. He's basically getting by on instinct.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think he benefits from playing with Pageau, who is a smart positional player. He's picked up points on the PK from being athletic, rangy and quick with his stick. The talent is there, as you and others have pointed out.

I'm not saying he's incapable of being a guy who can play well within structure, I'm just saying he's not really doing it now, which is why he isn't doing much 5v5 when the ice is crowded and the capacity for broken plays or rushes are minimal. He's basically getting by on instinct.
The Isles may have seen the things you're saying here and that could be why they brought him over to the AHL so early, which kind of surprised a lot of people. Maybe better to get him to NA to play on the smaller ice and in the NA style of play and work on his deficiencies here rather than in the SHL.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I think the only way they move Holmstrom is if it’s for a young, cost-controlled asset (think Lawson Crouse or Josh Norris as a Nelson replacement). Lindholm is going to be too expensive and old for this team (remember they have to have space to re-sign Dobson and Romanov long term).
Is Norris available? I figured they would deal Pinto or Mattheiu when the suspension is up

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I don't see Lou going for D depth now - possibly only an upgrade there.

Forwards for the 2nd PP unit is an issue. Others have mentioned Kuzmenko - him in the left shooting position on the 2nd PP wouldn't be a bad thing.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Goal differential is still concerning, but Lamoriello is going to wait and see if that adjusts with the return and Mayfield and P&P.

The Islanders are middle of the pack in both GA/GF right now.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
He was excellent for PIT in that Isles series. Him and Romanov on the same backline would give the Isles a bit old school d, in a good way.

I would take Wennberg back from Seattle too.

Although, I think Lou goes more the Erik Johnson route.

But what’s the point in that? I don’t think Johnson is any better than Reilly or Bortuzzo. Once Pelech, Pulock, and Mayfield are back there will be a big logjam on the blue line.

When healthy I think you roll Romanov-Dobson, P&P, Reilly-Mayfield. Aho, Bolduc, and Bortuzzo as extras. Don’t see how Johnson or any other bottom pairing guy would do much benefit here.

I think you are either grabbing a top 4 defenseman or standing pat on the blue line. I’d rather see Lou go all in on a forward.

Goal differential is still concerning, but Lamoriello is going to wait and see if that adjusts with the return and Mayfield and P&P.

It is concerning, but has been steadily improving since that 7 game losing streak. Hopefully this PK can clean things up once everyone is back. Gotta think Sorokin is going to get hot at some point and some of these games we will be giving up 1-2 goals instead of 3-4.

Reactions: MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He was excellent for PIT in that Isles series. Him and Romanov on the same backline would give the Isles a bit old school d, in a good way.

I would take Wennberg back from Seattle too.

Although, I think Lou goes more the Erik Johnson route.
I think you are mixing up the Tanev brothers. Brandon Tanev is the Seattle forward and was on PIT. The quoted post is looking at Christopher Tanev, Calgary Defenseman.

But agree on Brandon Tanev. Especially if Seattle would hold some of that 3.5M cap hit.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I keep looking at it as well but am not currently worried. I think the fact that they are in second without those three speaks volumes of what this offense can now handle. This is no longer the Trotz era teams that you worry about scoring 3 goals in a game when needed. They have shown they can go toe to toe with great offenses and keep up.

I look at wins like last night and Edmonton as more important than the 7-3 blowout to Columbus for example.

Reactions: TMI

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Can definitely see Lamoriello interested in Henrique. Another option would be if Washington falls out of the race, contract-year Anthony Mantha. he would be a nice upgrade on Gauthier for the playoffs. He's big, fast, and can score goals.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Can't make moves for the second PP, they don't get enough time to warrant that kind of investment.
Sure, but it's also an issue of skill on the wing. At this point that's one of the biggest needs, along with perhaps upgrading skill at LHD (although Reilly may have resolved that well enough for now) and maybe upgrading 3C with more offense than JGP provides these days. So, some of the names being thrown around here make sense (Kuzmenko, Pinto, Hanifin). But if I had to put money on it I'd guess it's Parise and roll with that.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Can definitely see Lamoriello interested in Henrique. Another option would be if Washington falls out of the race, contract-year Anthony Mantha. he would be a nice upgrade on Gauthier for the playoffs. He's big, fast, and can score goals.
Washington ain't leaving yet

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
What about Patrick Kane as a rental?

Detroit is a fraud team (sorry Yzerplan, this ain't Tampa Bay) and Kane may want to get dealt to a team with a legit chance to win.

Didn't Kane and Barzal have a little bromance at an ASG or something?

Barzal-Bo-Kane

Could be interesting.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad