Rumor: Pens and Canucks talking trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Canucks fans - did it ever really get established who the problem child in the lockerroom was/is?

yes i seriously think thats what Miller is worth. Maybe a bit less if the Canucks valued Kapanen.

3 months of Foligno got a 1st and 4th

Dvorak got a 1st and a 2nd. Dvorak under contract.

JT Miller absolutely trashes both those guys and is under contract next year as well at 5 mil. He has something like 148 pts in his last 151 games.

I'd say 1st 2nd Kapanen would definitely be fair value.

No it's not. That is thread ruining valuation of players. Glad you like JT Miller. He's great and he'd be a great addition for the Penguins. But you're not getting a 1st and 2nd on top of a player like Kapanen. You're just not. Like, suggest ANY trade where a player like Miller got that return.

Like, all things considered, that's roughly the price tag Vegas just paid for Jack Eichel. Miller ain't Eichel.

Lazy speculation, we're pretty bad trading partners.

I actually disagree quite a bit. I think we make good trading partners. Both sides have pieces that should interest the other.

If they want Marino, I could see a Henrique for Vatanen like swap around Horvat and Marino.

I can see Miller for a Zucker+ or Kapanen+ or Rust package.

I could see similar packages for Brock Boeser. Like Rust+conditional pick based on him resigning for Miller or Boeser.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have new ownership and no one knows what that will mean as to future direction. Until Letang and Malkin are addressed, Pens are in limbo for any major deals that involve LT money. I suspect Pens will let Rust walk, extend Kap for less than he may have asked for with his uneven play and Pens are somewhat players in free agency in the off season. Vancouver may move a player or two like Miller who wants to go to a serious contender.

The idea that GMJR is only looking at adding to the core is not exactly how he operates. He want good players who are good in the room and bring the effort every shift. Tanev from the Krakens is exactly what he loves to add. I wanted Alvin to be the GM but they hired Hextall. Time will tell if that was the smart move. No issues so far as he is capped out unless dollars in dollars out is the deal.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Rutherford has mentioned that we’d be looking to get younger. Meaning we ain’t trading Boeser for an older player. Not to mention Miller/Boeser (whoever it is) will need to bring back a top 4 RHD. We don’t need more wingers (especially older).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm legitimately curious for what the Canucks have for trade chips to actively improve their team now if their top guys are really this valuable and they're not trading any sort of worthwhile futures.

JR has done it before, so never say never, but you're very likely not getting any sort of useful players for guys like Myers, Sutter and Pearson. If it was any other GM, I'd throw out the possibility entirely, but JR's a guy who has done it before.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Canucks fans - did it ever really get established who the problem child in the lockerroom was/is?

No it's not. That is thread ruining valuation of players. Glad you like JT Miller. He's great and he'd be a great addition for the Penguins. But you're not getting a 1st and 2nd on top of a player like Kapanen. You're just not. Like, suggest ANY trade where a player like Miller got that return.

Like, all things considered, that's roughly the price tag Vegas just paid for Jack Eichel. Miller ain't Eichel.

I actually disagree quite a bit. I think we make good trading partners. Both sides have pieces that should interest the other.

If they want Marino, I could see a Henrique for Vatanen like swap around Horvat and Marino.

I could see similar packages for Brock Boeser. Like Rust+conditional pick based on him resigning for Miller or Boeser.

Don’t believe anything really came up about problems on the room. Potentially just a bunch of pissed off grumpy guys, sick of losing. Just a bunch of speculation.

Reactions: SEALBound

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think if the Canucks move Miller/Boeser, it's to a team that has an abundance of young Dmen. Or a situation where the player wants out.

I hope it's not us lol, but I think that's what happens.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Benning. He’s been the problem ever since his disastrous offseason after the Covid play-in. Well actually he’s been the issue since day 1, but I think a lot of players lost the plot after that offseason.

These are all terrible for the Canucks. Something involving Marino might make some sense but everything else really doesn’t.

Reactions: SEALBound

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Yeah, they would definitely want a forward back for Kapanen. The issue with the Canucks is that they have no one in that reasonable middle ground between Miller/Boeser/Garland and the next tier down.

I don't think Pettersson makes a lot of sense just because he's pretty expensive. He's been great this year, but I don't see how the Canucks can rationalize paying that much to their LD. The Penguins are arguably paying too much for Dumoulin, Matheson and Pettersson combined, and those three combined make less than Hughes and OEL alone.

For some reason I thought Pettersson was at like 2.5 and not 4+, so yeah that won't work for us.

We're looking to add middle of the line-up forwards and D-men without giving up quality from our roster unless we're trading a top-6 forward for a top-4 RD so yeah, this doesn't jive.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I'm legitimately curious for what the Canucks have for trade chips to actively improve their team now if their top guys are really this valuable and they're not trading any sort of worthwhile futures.

JR has done it before, so never say never, but you're very likely not getting any sort of useful players for guys like Myers, Sutter and Pearson. If it was any other GM, I'd throw out the possibility entirely, but JR's a guy who has done it before.

Miller/Horvat/Boeser could all very much be available. And the goal isn’t necessarily to improve the team now but rather improve the team for the future.

Benning’s left this team with too many holes, not enough futures and no capspace.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Miller/Horvat/Boeser could all very much be available. And the goal isn’t necessarily to improve the team now but rather improve the team for the future.

Benning’s left this team with too many holes, not enough futures and no capspace.

Yeah that's really the impression I'm getting :laugh:

The issue with creating a trade between these two teams is that the Penguins would only want one of Vancouver's top players, but they don't have the high value pieces required to pull off one of them. If they had another Jared McCann caliber young player, maybe something like Kapanen and McCann for Miller could work in theory. But they don't, so it's a moot point. On the other side, the Canucks only have those top players as valuable pieces and have quite a few holes and bad contracts.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
If he’s making a deal for a Penguin it’s likely Kapanen or Zucker and it’s like a hockey deal where Canucks fans feel like they lost in terms of market value.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If the big ask is a good RD then Pittsburgh is about the worst trade partner out there.

JR being involved is the only thing giving the illusion of these two being good trade partners.

Reactions: RSPens

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Actually, that's who I thought of immediately.

Kapanen's that right age Vancouver is looking for, plus Sullivan seems to not like him so he's probably the most likely piece available that's worth something.
Inserting Kapanen into an unstable/divided, egotistical locker room in VAN would not be a good idea, but Rutherford seems to love the Kapanen family.

He's also willing to overpay for him based on past trades, so something to watch.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013

1. We're not getting Horvat for Marino straight up, we're also not in any position to trade Marino unless we have another RD coming into the lineup.

2. The add on Zucker for Miller would be huge, and we're not trading futures apparently.

3. Trading a 25 year old RFA Kap in a package for a season of Miller would probably bite us in the ass once he's a UFA.

I would love to add Miller, but I don't think management would be willing to spend the assets to make it happen.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If he’s making a deal for a Penguin it’s likely Kapanen or Zucker and it’s like a hockey deal where Canucks fans feel like they lost in terms of market value.

Kapanen makes some sense being a good skater and fitting the age group but Zucker is guy JR would unlikely to be interested in less the cost was cheap. He’s older than Miller who’s a guy that could be moved because of his age/contract status. Makes no sense for Vancouver.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Kapanen makes some sense being a good skater and fitting the age group but Zucker is guy JR would unlikely to be interested in less the cost was cheap. He’s older than Miller who’s a guy that could be moved because of his age/contract status. Makes no sense for Vancouver.
But with that said we ain’t trading Miller/ Boeser for kapanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad